PDA

View Full Version : Rugby 2014

Charlie Darwin
06/08/2014, 1:20 AM
August seems as good a time as any to start this.

Ireland women have only gone and become the first Irish 15s team ever to beat New Zealand (http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/ireland-earn-stunning-win-over-new-zealand-1.1888376). Take that, Brian O'Driscoll.

BonnieShels
27/08/2014, 8:17 AM
Alesana Tuilagi arrested and bailed over assault charge in 2011
http://m.rte.ie/news/touch/2014/0826/639502-rugby-arrest/

Mr A
27/08/2014, 9:18 AM
I see Sexton is returning to Leinster on a 4 year deal. Big boost for them and Ireland.

swinfordfc
06/09/2014, 11:08 PM
Well done Connacht today .... only province to win this weekend! :D

Charlie Darwin
06/09/2014, 11:16 PM
Well done Connacht today .... only province to win this weekend! :D
With a big chunk of their best team not there too, whether through injury or rest periods or not being in the country yet. I think Connacht will be very interesting to watch this season.

swinfordfc
09/09/2014, 9:47 AM
With a big chunk of their best team not there too, whether through injury or rest periods or not being in the country yet. I think Connacht will be very interesting to watch this season.

Dont think they have a big enough panel - that will hurt them in the long run ........

swinfordfc
12/09/2014, 8:37 PM
Bravo Connacht - hung in there to the end and got the job done - Hope Henry the hooker is not out for too long with the knee!

swinfordfc
20/09/2014, 8:01 AM
Oh what a game! - the boys from D4 just did not like it near the end - what a hit from Henshaw first on their no 10 and then McSharry on Kearney on the run - 3 wins from 3 but the next one is the big test - away to Glasgow.....

Acornvilla
20/09/2014, 9:59 AM
Hon the Wesht!

BonnieShels
28/09/2014, 7:46 PM
Ticket ballots close tomorrow.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ticketing/index.html

I'm in for a heap... I better not get them all.

swinfordfc
30/09/2014, 11:00 AM
Leinster should beat Munster in fairest but then again ..... its a derby!

BonnieShels
26/10/2014, 6:54 PM
Ticket ballots close tomorrow.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ticketing/index.html

I'm in for a heap... I better not get them all.
Ended up getting 2*Category C tickets for Ireland-France.

WexCar
26/10/2014, 7:17 PM
Ended up getting 2*Category C tickets for Ireland-France.

Got 2 for the French & 2 for the quarter-final(runner-up QF)

Real ale Madrid
21/11/2014, 11:22 AM
Given there has been previous discussion regarding the relative localisation of top class rugby - news today that Japan and Argentina have been given Super Rugby Franchises to begin with the 2016 competition.

Story here:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/world/2014/1121/661212-super/

Rough idea of how the competition will pan out here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Super_Rugby_season

Nice to see, hope it's a sucess.

swinfordfc
23/11/2014, 3:50 PM
Well done to Ireland and Joe the man! - he done some job to that panel - only 1 lost in 2014 and up to 3rd in the world! - serious respect

Also in the Pro 12 - if anyone would tell me after 8 games in - we (Connacht) would have won 5 of 8 games (should have been 6) and be only 7pts off the top and 1pt behind the D4 boys - i would tell you that you was mad but fair play to Pat Lam and his men!

Now Neil Francais - what crap have you to say now!!!!!

Real ale Madrid
23/11/2014, 9:09 PM
Franno is the SI today says Schmidt is the best Coach in the world.

BonnieShels
23/11/2014, 11:40 PM
Look for the pigs in the sky.

swinfordfc
24/11/2014, 11:28 AM
Franno is the SI today says Schmidt is the best Coach in the world.

Franno is a fool - end of!

BonnieShels
29/11/2014, 3:33 PM
Wales v SA was a shocker. Last 10 mins was some of the worst intl rugby I have ever seen. Error strewn and thoroughly unconvincing. Both deserved to lose.

Also Jonathan Davies is an awful commentator. So thoroughly biased.

We shouldn't be very worried if this Welsh team tuns up to play us.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2014, 3:58 PM
I hate that JD too.

I always thought talk of an England crisis was daft. Everyone loses four on the trot to NZ and in that losing run England got within three points thrice.

It'll be all to play for. I think we're a bit ahead of Wales at this point (I didn't see them today, only the score) but they were ok against both Aus and NZ, and always play WCs well. England have more in their locker I think and we are obviously in very good shape, with strength in depth in most positions. Even Sexton isn't indispensable.

That said, as a rule I usually try not to read too much into the Autumn tests. The Southern Hemisphere sides are at a different stage of their season. Interesting series nonetheless. Argentina, Italy and Scotland all showed encouraging performances. France are France.

BonnieShels
04/12/2014, 4:51 PM
Bid for 2023 being unveiled on Friday. Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30333843

nigel-harps1954
04/12/2014, 5:41 PM
That'd be excellent. 13 stadiums being used for the 2015 World Cup in England (and Wales). Is there 13 grounds here capable of holding a major event? I know there's plenty with the capacity, but how many with the amount of facilities required?

1. Lansdowne
2. Thomond
3. Croker
4. Ravenhill

After that, you're relying on the GAA as Musgrave Park surely wouldn't be big enough?

Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Fitzgerald Stadium, Pearse Stadium, McHale Park, Casement Park, Nowlan Park, Breffni Park, Healy Park? Few of those would need major upgrades too before anything.

Charlie Darwin
04/12/2014, 6:14 PM
Musgrave Park would be big enough for some of the smaller games - it'll be around 11,000 from next year I think. It's a pity there's no LOI ground that would be suitable.

nigel-harps1954
04/12/2014, 7:51 PM
Musgrave Park would be big enough for some of the smaller games - it'll be around 11,000 from next year I think. It's a pity there's no LOI ground that would be suitable.

Dalymount will be perfect after it gets the John Delaney makeover.

Stuttgart88
04/12/2014, 8:55 PM
I've just heard John Delaney is to sing at the opening ceremony.

BonnieShels
04/12/2014, 9:22 PM
Don't compare it to England 2015. Compare it to NZ 2011. We have a bud that will be almost better in every way AND no earthquakes.

Macy
05/12/2014, 1:46 PM
After that, you're relying on the GAA as Musgrave Park surely wouldn't be big enough?

The RDS is another. The GAA are desperate for games to fill all their white elephants around the country, especially if it gives them leverage to suck up more of the available grants.

TheBoss
05/12/2014, 5:03 PM
As Nigel pointed out, you at least 12-14 stadiums to host an event of this size and I can't possibly see any chance of Ireland winning the bid with the likes of US/Canada and Argentina perhaps the opposition to Ireland, who already have stadiums. If you're on the panel that chooses the winning bid and you see all the GAA grounds that may be selected, they aren't exactly stadia that are suited to hosting a major event. Most GAA grounds do not have full covered stands and have a lot standing terraces also the fact that Dublin could have 3 or 4 grounds in the bid would also be off putting as you want different areas to be involved. If the Ireland bid were to build 3 or 4 new stadiums that were not in Dublin like say in Galway, Tipperary, Meath or Kerry , I think they may have a better chance but as of now, absolutely no chance for me.

Real ale Madrid
05/12/2014, 6:29 PM
As Nigel pointed out, you at least 12-14 stadiums to host an event of this size and I can't possibly see any chance of Ireland winning the bid with the likes of US/Canada and Argentina perhaps the opposition to Ireland, who already have stadiums. If you're on the panel that chooses the winning bid and you see all the GAA grounds that may be selected, they aren't exactly stadia that are suited to hosting a major event. Most GAA grounds do not have full covered stands and have a lot standing terraces also the fact that Dublin could have 3 or 4 grounds in the bid would also be off putting as you want different areas to be involved. If the Ireland bid were to build 3 or 4 new stadiums that were not in Dublin like say in Galway, Tipperary, Meath or Kerry , I think they may have a better chance but as of now, absolutely no chance for me.

The main opposition seems to be Italy and South Africa who have both bid before in the last few tournaments and failed.
Argentina can't sell out home games in the Rugby Championship, USA / Canada would be a hard one to sell to the traditional rugby playing countries.
Comparing the GAA stadia to what was a hugely successful tournament in NZ in 2011 then we could host this tournament tomorrow. The corporate facilities are not great at some of them but they will be top class in a redeveloped Pairc Ui Chaoimh , the redeveloped Casement as well as Croke Park / Aviva.

I reckon it will pan out something like this.
Final / Semi Finals - Croke Park
3rd place game in Aviva
1 QF in Aviva , 1 in Croker , 1 in Casement Park 1 in Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Then you need between 10-12 stadia for the group stages. Ravenhill / Thomond Pk / RDS could be used for some of the lesser games. Then by listening to them today I reckon they will try to give 2 or 3 games to a few stadia and try and give a good geographical spread.

Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney is a obvious choice with all the hotel beds there.
Pearce Stadium Galway is another / maybe Castlebar could be a venue - big stadium but not a big place.
I'd be surprised if Nowlan Pk in Kilkenny didn't get a few games - regular concert venue.
They will need to go to another city in the North so I reckon Celtic Park in Derry could be a venue - that would need some work perhaps some temporary stands. Gaelic Grounds in Limerick might get a game or two along with Thomond.

Thats 12 venues - most in cities / towns well able to host such an event.
Dublin - 3 venues
Belfast - 2 venues
Limerick 2
1 each for Cork, Killarney, Kilkenny, Galway, Derry and Mayo.

Other possibilities include Thurles / Clones - but not many hotel rooms there.

We would be eminently capable of hosting this - but it would be tough to beat SA / Italy in any bid, might have to contest a few bids before we win one.

jinxy lilywhite
06/12/2014, 8:55 AM
Great idea this. The one thing that annoys me though is the attempt to use two venues in one city. 2 for Dublin and 2 for Belfast (casement & Ravenhill).
Then the west of the island is getting the benefit of this, Cork, Killarney, limerick % Galway.

BonnieShels
07/12/2014, 6:32 PM
With the 2019 tournament in Japan it will definitely be in a traditional power so the USA will have to wait until 2027.

2023 going to Ireland or Italy is made harder as it will be a 3rd tournament in a row for the N Hemisphere.

We should be able to start the politicking early enough though and try and get the votes in for 2023 in exchange for support for 2027. Expect the Welsh to get their spoke in as always.

swinfordfc
12/12/2014, 12:04 PM
This is a big weekend for all 4 sides this weekend in the European competitions - i think only 2 will continued to have any chance of qualifying after this weekend for the quarter finals .......

swinfordfc
12/12/2014, 2:11 PM
This is a big weekend for all 4 sides this weekend in the European competitions - i think only 2 will continued to have any chance of qualifying after this weekend for the quarter finals .......

Actually only one now after seeing the team news ...... :) but hope i'm wrong

swinfordfc
13/12/2014, 8:40 PM
Well bravo Connacht - great win in France after so many changes - still in the race to make the last eight of the Challenge Cup ..... They only loss 3 matches this year so far - its unreal ....and Leinster are leading by one with 3 minutes to go - they have to win to stayed in the race

swinfordfc
13/12/2014, 8:48 PM
Leinster win as well so they still in it - bravo. But fair play Connacht - its brilliant!

Spudulika
13/12/2014, 8:53 PM
Heartstopping finish to the Leinster match, stupid punch up at the end, but great to see both Irish sides win today.

swinfordfc
16/12/2014, 10:22 AM
And Munster still in it as well - never bet against these men but they have to win away in Round 5 and stop Saracens getting a losing bonus point. - Back to the Pro 12 for 3 huge games!