PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dunne - Magic Stuff

Kevin77
08/11/2004, 3:47 AM
From Soccernet:

Two of Manchester City's defenders make in to Team of the Week after a wonderful defensive display kept out United, despite constant pressure from the Reds. Man-of-the-match Richard Dune was incredible at the heart of City's much-improved defence.

I might be blinded by bias, but this reporter firmly believes that the Irish centre-back is currently one of the best defenders in the Premiership; his dedication, strength and skill in the tackle have been matched by only a small number this season - and he's one of the key reasons why City have shed their shaky defensive reputation.

Fair play to the big man. He’s had an awful lot of criticism, some of it warranted. People say that he’s slow, but that’s just a misconception based on his size. He’s very quick over the first five yards, strong in the air, physically intimidating, can time a tackle really well and reads the game fantastically. His distribution might let him down at times (but so does Sol Campbell’s) but he really is coming into a run of good consistent form…and all this in a side managed by Kevin Keegan.

We all know about the personal problems he’s had, but for a young centre half (he’s only just turned 25), he has bags of experience and we now have three very good centre halves in Kenny Cunningham, Andy O’Brien and Richard Dunne all playing consistently in the Premier League…a scenario that we didn’t dare to dream of three to four years ago.

With Willo Flood, Stephen Elliot, Graham Stack and Aiden McGeady all making genuine breakthroughs and Stephen Reid getting regular first team football, there has hardly been a more exciting time for young talent in the Irish game.

wallis
08/11/2004, 9:39 AM
Probably the best defensive display I have seen by any player this season. How embarrasing for Smith and Saha to be in his pocket practically all game. His block at the end on Rooneys(?) shot summed it up. Tremendous.

Come on Richard ! Put the work in , train hard and get yourself back into the squad , Kenny C wont last forever you know !!

gustavo
08/11/2004, 2:48 PM
Honey Monster has been doing well all season and i think we all know that when he is on his game he is easily one of our best centre backs :) hopefully he can keep it up now .

skbio_toronto
08/11/2004, 8:55 PM
You know, with regard to the Honey Monster, only one thing matters (and its the same story for everyone on the Irish team) has he ever let us down with any of his appearances at centre back.

Had Patrick Kluivert in his pocket for the two WC 02 qualifiers, and has'nt got a look in since, for the competitive matches. I saw the highlights of the Manchester derby and as well as looking in excellant form, he looks the fittest I've seen him.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the current Andy O' Brien - Kenny Cuningham partnership. But for my money, Richie Dunne should be next in line.

What do yis reckon?

SKBIO-TOR

thejollyrodger
08/11/2004, 10:36 PM
IMO Dunne is playing brilliantly at the moment but he seems to come in and out of form. I just wonder how long will he continue to keep playing well. People say the penny has dropped this time but I would wouldnt just break the Cunnigham O Brien partnership yet.

Kevin77
09/11/2004, 2:44 AM
Everyone mentions his inconsistency, but this really does tend to be something that blights young centre halves (particularly those that hit the beer frequently in their younger days!!!). Think Tony Adams at Arsenal early in his career. Dunne has been steadily improving the past twelve months and is now getting the accolades his talent has always deserved, but more importantly his work rate now commands praise and recognition.

I’m not saying he should dislodge the fantastic organiser Cunningham or the quick and improving O’Brien, but it is nice to know that there is a first class Premier League centre half waiting in the wings and not just a decent first division player (Gary Breen). It appears the centre of defence is safe until about 2012…which is comforting.

Still, we need a top class left back, a first class centre mid player from a top premier league team (doesn’t seem to be anyone in sight) and another striker (hope Elliott fulfills that role).

gspain
09/11/2004, 7:01 AM
Still, we need a top class left back, a first class centre mid player from a top premier league team (doesn’t seem to be anyone in sight) and another striker (hope Elliott fulfills that role).

Left footed leftback playing for one of the top 4 sides in the best league in the world Ian Harte has got to be worth another look in friendlies.

Bowsy
09/11/2004, 12:21 PM
Dunne has been super for City for a while now but as has been pointed out by another poster before he, like O'Brien, aren't great organisers like Kenny. They are both only 25 and hopefully this will come with a bit more experience. It's very promising to see some good young centre backs though with Kenny approaching the end of his career.

anto1208
09/11/2004, 12:40 PM
lads stop this talk now dunne is rubbish he ll have the odd good game but he has no real talent at all

Bowsy
09/11/2004, 12:43 PM
lads stop this talk now dunne is rubbish he ll have the odd good game but he has no real talent at all

Nonsense. start watching some city games before dismissing one of the most consistent players in the premiership over the last year and a half.

tetsujin1979
09/11/2004, 1:47 PM
Nonsense. start watching some city games before dismissing one of the most consistent players in the premiership over the last year and a half.

Agreed, people point to City's goals against last season, this season up until the Newcastle game Dunne had helped them keep the third best defence in the premiership, and just kept a strikeforce worth somewhere in the region of 30m goalless, at Old Trafford. Defenders hit their peaks slightly later than further outfield players, so we could be looking at a choice of Dunne/O'Shea/O'Brien for the 2 centre half spots for the best part of the next 10 years

Donal81
09/11/2004, 2:09 PM

I'd be the first to despair of Dunne over the past five years and his attitude towards football and boozing and eating but I would never come to the conclusion that he has no talent at all. How have you come to this conclusion?

observer
09/11/2004, 2:10 PM
I am one who thought that Dunne was a dead loss but over the past year I have changed my opinion. He has copped himself on big time and is obviously working hard at his fitness and physique. He was exceptional against United and should definitely be in the Irish squad as cover for O'Brien and Cunningham. He has that bit of iron that every defence needs.
Give him a call Brian. :)

eirebhoy
09/11/2004, 4:53 PM
He was only beaten by SWP last year for the fan's player of the year at City. When you think that Anelka got 25 goals and over 7 assists that is some achievement.

As is said every day of the week, football fans are fickle. Before the Man U match it was very hard to find someone that would back me up when I was defending Dunne.

skbio_toronto
10/11/2004, 8:28 PM
He was only beaten by SWP last year for the fan's player of the year at City. When you think that Anelka got 25 goals and over 7 assists that is some achievement.

As is said every day of the week, football fans are fickle. Before the Man U match it was very hard to find someone that would back me up when I was defending Dunne.

Fickleness.

The bane of every 'true' football supporter.

You can lump in Richard Dunne in the same category as Steven Reid, Kevin Kilbane and Andy O' Brien. Plenty of doubters for the past couple of seasons. But precious few reffering to their potential and the fact that managers such as Robson, Souness, Moyes and Hughes are choosing them regularly.

As much as we think we know about football. I, for one, will gladly cede to the aforementioned. Even Graeme Souness!!!

SKBIO-TOR

(Anyone notice that I left out a certain Peter Reid!, Don't think I would cede football knowledge to him!!)