PDA

View Full Version : Rovers assistant says Cawley remarks 'disgusting

Ezeikial
31/07/2014, 12:11 PM
Alan Cawley seems to have hit a nerve!

Shamrock Rovers assistant manager John GIll has hit back at RTÉ pundit Alan Cawley in relation to remarks made on Monday’s Soccer Republic show.
Cawley was very critical of the Hoops boss and stated that Shamrock Rovers have no identity under Trevor Croly (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0729/633785-crollys-rovers-have-no-identity-claims-cawley/).

He also believes the manager has failed to stamp his authority on the side, and remains uninspiring a year and a half into his role at the Dublin club.
But Gill believes that Cawley has no right to judge the Hoops manager.

He stated Cawley does not know what is going on behind the scenes and is not privy to the work that Croly has been doing with the club’s youth structure and First Division side.

Speaking in the August edition of In Tallaght magazine (http://issuu.com/intallaght/docs/intallaght_edition_56), Gill said: “I thought it was disgusting. I could drag a few skeletons out of his closet, I’ve a few things I could say about Alan Cawley.

“Why would you listen to Alan Cawley? He wouldn’t know much about winning anything, he wouldn’t win you a corner.
“Why would you listen to Alan Cawley? ... He wouldn’t win you a corner"

“And saying he was uninspiring? What does he want? A Peter Kay type manager who’s cracking jokes after every match. It’s about running a football club and in my view, Trevor is the right man for the job.

“He’s a hurler on the ditch. Who is he to be criticising Trevor? It is easy to sit there and criticise a manager when you’ve never managed at a top level yourself.”
Gill believes that Croly should be given more time as he is still learning his craft as a manager.

The Hoops assistant added: “If the fans could see the amount of work he is doing behind the scenes; he is building a football club, not just a team.
“I have worked with some of the best managers in the country like Dermot Keely, Ray Treacy and Pete Mahon and he is up there with any of them.”

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0731/634225-rovers-assistant-hits-back-at-rte-pundit/

brendy_éire
31/07/2014, 12:19 PM
Alan's reply on Twitter:
"Pirlo: "1 part of my job I'll never learn 2 love is d pre-match warm-up. I hate it wit every fibre of my being." A man after my own heart :)"

Don't get Gill's logic that unless you've managed at a top level, you can't comment on managers. I think Alan has a point.

Ezeikial
31/07/2014, 2:53 PM
John Gill inadvertently puts his finger on the problem at Rovers

John Gill says: ....but trust me those players are doing everything that's being asked of them
http://issuu.com/intallaght/docs/intallaght_edition_56

Dalymountrower
31/07/2014, 4:34 PM
[QUOTE=Ezeikial;1769526]John Gill inadvertently puts his finger on the problem at Rovers

"He stated Cawley does not know what is going on behind the scenes and is not privy to the work that Croly has been doing with the club’s youth structure and First Division side."

Trevors new role when Fenlon takes over as Director of Football?

Actually I thought Cawleys remarks were over the top, I find Crolly`s post match interviews both inspiring and reassuring.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
31/07/2014, 5:13 PM
This would be the First Division side who haven't scored a goal in 9 games?

marinobohs
01/08/2014, 3:23 PM
This would be the First Division side who haven't scored a goal in 9 games?

....yep, the one Colin Hawkins is employed to manage :cool: Maybe Hawkins is looking after the first team and Crolly the 'B' team ?

dead man walking, here's Nutsey ;)

Dodge
01/08/2014, 4:29 PM
Crawley's a mouth that will say whatever's popular so he can retweet praise on twitter.

Gill's a slieveen mouth who's done nothing to suggest he has any superior footballing knowledge to Cawley

The only winners here are people like me who think both are thicks

Fivesilver
01/08/2014, 7:54 PM
Yep, it's a bit like watching a couple of stumbly lads in shell suits throwing slaps at each other on Talbot St.

Sligo Hoops.
01/08/2014, 10:28 PM
It doesn't take Cawley talking pony for people to realise that the Hoops are going nowhere under Croly. Time to act, Jonathan Roche.

nigel-harps1954
01/08/2014, 10:41 PM
Anyone hear Cawley on game on tonight on 2fm? Was asked for a response to John Gills statement and, well, in a nutshell said, "I couldn't give a fig what John Gill thinks, I gave a professional opinion and he made it personal".

Nesta99
01/08/2014, 11:06 PM
Giller probably said what he thought Rovers board wanted to hear though if he wants to end up as caretaker manager for the remainder of the season its distancing himself he maybe should be doing. TC seems like a nice guy and all but thats why he should be coaching not managing. Isnt Hawkins looking after the B team?

edit - Just read above

Longfordian
01/08/2014, 11:13 PM
Yeah Hawkins is in charge of them. Ten men behind the ball at all times. Not sure this experiment is doing the kids any good really. Maybe the defenders but they wouldn't have scored if they were there until Christmas.

adamd164
03/08/2014, 9:12 AM
Crawley's a mouth that will say whatever's popular so he can retweet praise on twitter.

Gill's a slieveen mouth who's done nothing to suggest he has any superior footballing knowledge to Cawley

The only winners here are people like me who think both are thicks
Spot on, Cawley's hardly a visionary .. One of the most mundane pundits on TV.

White Horse
03/08/2014, 10:35 AM
Crawley's a mouth....

He's a pundit, it's what they do.

Dodge
05/08/2014, 10:47 AM
He's a pundit, it's what they do.

Some of them have a brain to go with the mouth though.

not many I'll grant you but...

adamd164
05/08/2014, 10:45 PM
This week's Soccer Republic was absolutely hilarious with both Cawley and Croly on it! Best show they've done so far. :D

Edit - see here: http://balls.ie/football/video-things-got-awkward-trevor-croly-alan-cawley-soccer-republic/ (http://balls.ie/football/video-things-got-awkward-trevor-croly-alan-cawley-soccer-republic/)

Dunny
05/08/2014, 11:03 PM
Fair play to Aidan Power and the producers on the show.No corners to hide in there

Nesta99
05/08/2014, 11:16 PM
Would have been crazy not to address the elephant in the room!

TonyD
06/08/2014, 6:43 PM
Fair play to Aidan Power and the producers on the show.No corners to hide in there

They didn't even put Stuey in between them :D