PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Last Night

boc123
06/11/2004, 1:26 PM
According to the independent there was one man rushed to hosiptal last night following a riot involving dozens of fans of Bohs and Shamrock Rovers fans on the Clonliffe Road last night before the match at 7.30.

Scum!!

A face
06/11/2004, 1:30 PM
How true is this though ?? The indo ... eL coverage ... surely not :eek: :(

pineapple stu
06/11/2004, 1:34 PM
I heard that the Rovers goalkeeping coach (former Ireland and Manchester United player Paddy Dunne) collapsed before the game and had to be taken to hospital, which resulted in the game being delayed. Would that be what you're thinking of? Didn't hear it had anything to do with crowd trouble though.

boc123
06/11/2004, 1:38 PM
No, it's on page four of the Indo, totally different incident. I wasn't there so haven't a clue what actually happened. There must have been some sort of an incident if it was in a national newspaper or am I being naieve :o

pineapple stu
06/11/2004, 1:42 PM
From the Rovers Ultras messageboard -

Riot incident (http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=606830&CategoryID=362984&startcat=1&ThreadID=1767577) and also here (http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=606830&CategoryID=362984&startcat=1&ThreadID=1767785)

and

Pat Dunne (http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=606830&CategoryID=362984&startcat=1&ThreadID=1767186)

eoinh
06/11/2004, 1:59 PM
The Irish Times had a fairly big article on the trouble last night. It wasnt under sport but "home news".

The league doesnt need wallys like this. we never get any coverage and when we do its for this sort of crap

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2004, 2:29 PM
Typical Irish Print media performance. Pack the paper full of English Premiersh*te and put minimal coverage of EL and put any trouble in a prominent position.

The Irish Times is particularly guilty of ignoring the EL, if you are a First DIvision team's supporter , forget about it pal. The paper is full of stuff lifted from the Guardian and shag all about our own First Division.

The friggin Guardian itself has all the results of both divisions in its Monday edition to be fair, which is more than can be said for the Irish Times, and The Guardian is about half the price of the Irish Times and all!

Poor Student
06/11/2004, 4:24 PM
Typical Irish Print media performance. Pack the paper full of English Premiersh*te and put minimal coverage of EL and put any trouble in a prominent position.

The Irish Times is particularly guilty of ignoring the EL, if you are a First DIvision team's supporter , forget about it pal. The paper is full of stuff lifted from the Guardian and shag all about our own First Division.

The friggin Guardian itself has all the results of both divisions in its Monday edition to be fair, which is more than can be said for the Irish Times, and The Guardian is about half the price of the Irish Times and all!

Since Roddy Collins did a Doolo the Irish Times has given practically a whole page for the last two days to domestic football. :eek: Typical of the printed media only bad news is printed. :mad:

boc123
06/11/2004, 5:36 PM
I know what you are saying, a lot of the coverage is cr*p, but we can't expect them to brush this under the carpet. It wouldn't happen at any other sporting event in Ireland, well none that i've ever been to.

Dr.Nightdub
06/11/2004, 6:01 PM
It didn't happen at a sporting event, it happened on Clonliffe Road which is closer to bloody Croke Park than it is to Tolka Park. Bohs and Rovers are gonna fight, it's genetic with them at this stage. Once it doesn't happen at or outside a ground and there's no civilian bystanders caught up in it, I really don't give a toss, let them at it.

A face
06/11/2004, 6:10 PM
Once it doesn't happen at or outside a ground and there's no civilian bystanders caught up in it, I really don't give a toss, let them at it.

The only way i'd agree with that is if they cancelled each other out ... no one walked away, till death kinda thing .... we would have to put up with the múppets then. Fúcking ****.

Could we ever mange to round the fools up and just burn them or something ?? They all need putting down !!

thecorner
06/11/2004, 11:48 PM
From the times and the hoops MB:

Up to 50 football fans attending last night's match between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians at Tolka Park, in Dublin, were involved in clashes shortly before kick-off.

One man, believed to be in his 30s, was taken to the Mater Hospital for treatment after being struck by a weapon, reported to be glass. His injuries are not thought to be serious, Gardai said late last night that 10 people had been arrested - 5 before the match, four during it, and one afterwards.

Riot police as well as mounted officers were called to maintain order following the clashes before the game. Bohemians supporters were detained in the ground for almost 15 minutes after the final whistle to avoid potential conflict.

A Garda spokesman last night told the Irish Times: "There was an incident at the junction o Ballybough and Clonliffe roads, involving a number of youths. There were members of the public order unit in attendance to ensure order as well as mounted officers.

A number of fans in the area of the ground occupied by Shamrock Rovers supporters were ejected by uniformed Gardai during the match. Numerous objects were thrown onto the pitch from the same area.

A Shamrock Rovers official said "Such incidents at or around games like this are of course regrettable and those involved can in no way call themselves proper football fans."

A face
07/11/2004, 12:14 AM
those involved can in no way call themselves proper football fans."

those involved can in no way call themselves proper football fans

There you have it .... here in lies the problem !!

those involved can in no way call themselves proper football fans and it is mad to think otherwise.

I hate it actually, the reaction you get when you mention "yeah i'm an eL fan" and straight away you are asked about this cráp. I wouldn't mind if there was an incident or something, but it is all by association. It is doing untold damage and there is no way to curb it because clubs dont have a mean of communication with the people it effects. One incident and it lasts for years ... hardly fair but it is the way it is.

Colm
07/11/2004, 12:49 PM
I hate it actually, the reaction you get when you mention "yeah i'm an eL fan" and straight away you are asked about this cráp..

Well that's nothing but ignorance on the part of those people.
The crowd related carry on that goes on in the el is mickey mouse stuff compared to what happens in EVERY other league in Europe. They just use it to knock the el yet no matter what happens in England they'll still worship those teams from their barstools. :rolleyes:

When the Malmo fans were telling us some of the storys of what they get upto on a regular basis it just shows how small time the whole scene is here. Fact is we've never had a serious incident so there is nothing really for everyone to be getting so outraged about. This always happens at Bohs v Rovers.... it's the way it is and the fact that it happens out of the ground means that there's nothing the clubs can do to stop it.

trevy
07/11/2004, 12:59 PM
Why was the game on in Tolka Park Friday night and not in Richmond or Dalymount Park?The only thing the clubs can do is ban the fans from going to the games if they are arrested by the Gardai like they do in England.Bohs and Rovers games seem to always have some trouble at them whether inside or outside the ground.

CollegeTillIDie
07/11/2004, 10:43 PM
Is it time to take a leaf out of the book of the Big two clubs in Belgrade..?

Partizan play Red Star at the Partizan... it is all ticket and home fans only
Red Star Play Partizan at the Marakhana.. same deal home fans only.

Perhaps Rovers and Bohs games should be like this or else play a few behind close doors but live on TV, like Roma had to with their Champions League game following their monetary assault on Anders Frisk.

A face
07/11/2004, 11:01 PM
If there was anyway the clubs could sue the fools for lose of gate receipts, that would be ideal. Hit them in the pocket and cripple them. The home fans only, and all ticket and other methods are too soft on the guys causing the trouble and others stand to suffer.

If they cant behave in public then they shouldn't be let out in public. Just because it is "football related" some people seem to think it is OK, but it is the opposite. These guys should be punished in the harshest possible way so they never forget what they have done. I keep saying it ..... if we put up with it, then we are all to blame. Simple as that !!

jimhacker
08/11/2004, 9:43 AM
Dublin City have the problem sussed - they do play behind closed doors! Only a few dozen at the games it seems

Slash/ED
08/11/2004, 11:45 AM
Is it time to take a leaf out of the book of the Big two clubs in Belgrade..?

Partizan play Red Star at the Partizan... it is all ticket and home fans only
Red Star Play Partizan at the Marakhana.. same deal home fans only.

It'd be near impossible to do that, people can just claim they support one club or the other and there's pretty much no way to prove them wrong if they're not wearing colours.