PDA

View Full Version : That Article in the Programme last night!

eoinh
06/11/2004, 9:58 AM
Anybody read the article on the history of Football in the Cork City programme last night? Pretty interesting with the author tracing the games origins back to Japan and China.

There were a few little jibes thrown in as well, some of them very wierd.

For example "Those of us who witnessed the 4:1 drubbing of Waterford United recently know the satisfaction that you can get from beating a nearby rival, even if they are not a serious threat to us. Uniteds record in the Munster Cup since Cork City was established is clear evidence of our relative standards. The concept of a grudge match goes back a lot further than our 20 years in existence. China and Japan played each other regularly some 3000 years ago. I expext this was not an amicable encounter either. The ancient Romans played a 27-a-side 50 minute game that was played with such pride and passion that it was normal for two thirds of the players to be hospitalised after the game, an occurrence not unusual at the RSC.

He goes on later - In the same way that the blitz and other air attacks pale into insignificance when you consider what was done to Hiroshima. We have become used to people across the water moaning about nothing.

He then deals with the football played in England in the fourtenth century - King Edward II of England, already troubled by the fact that his father had failed to quell the risings of transvestites William Wallace and Robert The Bruce, passed a law threatening imprisonment for anyone caught playing football in England.

Robert The Bruce and William Wallace were transvestites? Where did he get that from?

The best bit is saved for last. The writer in the programme states that Oliver Cromwell was a keen footballer in his youth "which makes me wonder why he landed in Drogheda."

Surely the oddest piece ever in the Cork City Programme.

adamd164
06/11/2004, 10:03 AM
Aye, I got great joy out of beating Waaaahhhhhuuurrrrffffuuurr in their own back garden! ;)

exile
06/11/2004, 10:59 AM
pretty wierd stuff all right

The Donie Forde
06/11/2004, 12:42 PM
Surely the oddest piece ever in the Cork City Programme.

The phrase 'tongue in cheek' springs to mind...it's not like WB was stating a FACT about the RSC!

We do our best to give CCFC fans as much variety as possible. Don't forget our Donnie Darko article! Or Owen Da Gama being overweight!

Donie

eoinh
06/11/2004, 1:00 PM
The phrase 'tongue in cheek' springs to mind...it's not like WB was stating a FACT about the RSC!

We do our best to give CCFC fans as much variety as possible. Don't forget our Donnie Darko article! Or Owen Da Gama being overweight!

Donie

I know it was tongue in cheek and it actually was very interesting. I enjoyed it. The city programmre is top notch imo.

The Donie Forde
06/11/2004, 3:30 PM
I know it was tongue in cheek and it actually was very interesting. I enjoyed it. The city programmre is top notch imo.

Yeah, I know - I was merely pointing that out to the general populace: otherwise we'll have the Blues getting the hump about a perceived insult, and all the Dubs and a certain Longfordian saying we've got a chip about the RSC boys... :D

Enough drama in Irish football this week!!

Anyway, thanks for the positive words about City Edition...

Donie

A face
06/11/2004, 3:48 PM
otherwise we'll have the Blues getting the hump about a perceived insult

And we couldn't have that now could we !! :D :p

Frankie Sky
06/11/2004, 6:57 PM
Also he refers to Hillsborough as "a mere drop in the ocean".This is a disgusting reference to an appaling diaster at a football match that had nothing to do with football violence .It was due to Police incompetence. Shame on the writer to insult those who died on that terrible day.

City Hero
06/11/2004, 8:08 PM
Also he refers to Hillsborough as "a mere drop in the ocean".This is a disgusting reference to an appaling diaster at a football match that had nothing to do with football violence .It was due to Police incompetence. Shame on the writer to insult those who died on that terrible day.

it does sound bad, but I'm sure that he was just refering to the fact that there have been many other football related disasters see here (http://www.hooligansfootball.homestead.com/disasters.html)

jofyisgod
06/11/2004, 8:35 PM
Let's not get too carried away on the old moral high ground here lads. One article does not ruin all the work of the team. Sure, it may have been controversial, but in comparison to other shocking things that are paraded on our TV screens everyday, maybe some things should be put into perspective...

Jim Smith
06/11/2004, 9:08 PM
Robert The Bruce and William Wallace were transvestites? Where did he get that from?

Probably some reference to the idea that every Scotsman wears a kilt :confused:

colblimp
06/11/2004, 11:46 PM

I, also, was appalled at this reference. I think the author should take a long, hard look at himself.

NorthoftheLee
08/11/2004, 8:36 AM

I thought the same thing...to trivialise such a tragic event and put it into context of football violence when it has been proven that it was nothing to do with violence was bang out of order i feel. Its all good and well having a tongue in cheek article but you should still not trivialise such events..

A major blip in what is consistently a great read.

jimhacker
08/11/2004, 8:38 AM
Probably some reference to the idea that every Scotsman wears a kilt :confused:

He probably meant Sid Wallace, late of.......................you guessed it Waterford!

Peadar
08/11/2004, 9:53 AM
Shame on the writer to insult those who died on that terrible day.

I, also, was appalled at this reference. I think the author should take a long, hard look at himself.

Sounds to me like some Liverpool "fans" have absorbed the same mentality of so many Merseyside folk of wallowing in their “victim status.”
Take the article for what it is.

GavinZac
08/11/2004, 10:35 AM
Sounds to me like some Liverpool "fans" have absorbed the same mentality of so many Merseyside folk of wallowing in their “victim status.”

a ****take, why cant people see this? for gods sake he's on about ancient japanese soccer and ye're offended by an ironic comparsion to an event that doesnt concern ye?

NorthoftheLee
08/11/2004, 12:05 PM

a ****take, why cant people see this? for gods sake he's on about ancient japanese soccer and ye're offended by an ironic comparsion to an event that doesnt concern ye?

Us football "supporters" saw what went on at Hillsborough, saw 96 football "fans" die due to police incompetence and are pointing out that any such event should not be trivialised or likened to football violence (nothing ironic about it gav)... As a football supporter, Hillsborough should concern you...It was a tragic event. If you think it is ok to trivialise it then it says a hell of a lot about you.

Peadar, you're comments are a disgrace and show you to be an ignorant fool.......Merseyside Folk lost their fathers, sons & daughters and have not seen any justice come to those reponsible and Law abandon them. They have seen the names of their loved ones killed blackened without justification and no proper apology given. All football supporters should be unhappy with this because it could have been any clubs supporters involved..A sure they're only wallowing in self pity :rolleyes:

SÓC
08/11/2004, 12:11 PM
A sure they're only wallowing in self pity :rolleyes:
era sure didnt the Sun say what really went on there:rolleyes:

As if there are not already enough reason not to buy that rag already then they ran /that/ story

Peadar
08/11/2004, 12:22 PM
Peadar, you're comments are a disgrace and show you to be an ignorant fool.......Merseyside Folk lost their fathers, sons & daughters and have not seen any justice come to those reponsible and Law abandon them. They have seen the names of their loved ones killed blackened without justification and no proper apology given. All football supporters should be unhappy with this because it could have been any clubs supporters involved..A sure they're only wallowing in self pity :rolleyes:

First of all I think you're taking the authors comments out of context and finding insult where none was intended.

Secondly, there has been tragedy around the world since time began.
We've all suffered some tragedy in our lives.
Some people use it as an excuse for everything that's wrong in their lives. Others pick themselves up and move on.
Ticketless Liverpool supporters need to wake up to the fact that they were the ultimate cause of the crush. We could argue about this forever but it would restore the lives which were lost.
Of course I'm an ingornant fool for having an opinion which differs from yours.
Oh, the irony in your statement!

NorthoftheLee
08/11/2004, 12:30 PM
Ticketless Liverpool supporters need to wake up to the fact that they were the ultimate cause of the crush.

Of course I'm an ingornant fool for having an opinion which differs from yours.
Oh, the irony in your statement!

Yes you just proved your ignorance with that last post. An INDEPENDENT investigation was carried out and found that the fans were not responsible for disaster in any way. There were very few ticketless fans FACT. All the fans ended up being herded into the one section of the stand and that was the main reason for the disaster. This is because someone panicked and ordered the gate to be opened.

Coming out with stupid incorrect comments and generalisations of people is ignorant. Having an opinion is not. :rolleyes:

Peadar
08/11/2004, 12:38 PM
Coming out with stupid incorrect comments and generalisations of people is ignorant. Having an opinion is not. :rolleyes:

How can anyone honestly believe that sole responsibility for this can lie with the Police?
At your age you'd think you'd have more sense.
No one stood at the gates with sticks and beat people into the ground.
People pushed as they always do.
We've all been in situations like this.

It's all behind us now and the grounds in Britain are some of the best in the world. It's all about moving on.

You've made all of this out of a comment in an article.
I think you need to look at why you feel you need to be offended by this.

one_bounce
08/11/2004, 1:23 PM
peadar.. leave it lie for fuxake
an independant enquiry conducted found the police at fault
96 innocent people watching a football match died

an article in the programme made reference to this tragedy in a flippant way.. its not acceptable and should be left at that. theres no need for you to start questioning why people feel the need to feel offended by this.. any decent football fan recognises what happened was an avoidable tragedy and would have respect for the people who died.

btw.. i would have thought that your 'It's all about moving on' theory would have included not insulting deceased innocent people.. would it not have been easier to just say nothing?

Peadar
08/11/2004, 1:29 PM
btw.. i would have thought that your 'It's all about moving on' theory would have included not insulting deceased innocent people.. would it not have been easier to just say nothing?

I'm not instulting them.
It's the people that are still alive who, as Tory MP Boris Johnson rightly pointed out in my opinin, "wallow" in their "victim status."

I don't really have any interest participating further in this.

one_bounce
08/11/2004, 1:37 PM
I'm not instulting them.
It's the people that are still alive who, as Tory MP Boris Johnson rightly pointed out in my opinin, "wallow" in their "victim status."

I don't really have any interest participating further in this.

neither do i.. but the people who are still alive and 'wallowing in their victim status' are the people who lost family and friends that day, and have not seen justice. i cant believe that if you lost somebody in similar circumstances and no justice had been served, that you would be happy to just give up the 'wallowing' and feeling sorry for yourself and forget it even happened because theres better grounds now

people are not asking you to agree with them..they are just asking you to have some respect

The Donie Forde
09/11/2004, 12:59 PM
Ok, I've left this run till now to make sure all the grievances got an airing.

The article in question is fairly sweeping in nature (3,000 BC to present day) and I don't think any insult was intended on the author's part, to be fair. The whole thing was light hearted in nature, end of story.

I can see now, however, how some people read the reference about Hillsborough and took it up the way they did. I can only repeat this was not the intention and I apologise if those people have been genuinely offended by it.

I can point out that over 1,000 copies were printed and perhaps more than that number got around to reading it: only a handful appear to have been upset by the content.

Perhaps if I hadn't been under such pressure time-wise with that particular issue I might have taken a different interpretation and I might have edited it out. On my reading of it I took it a different way, and I think that's still possible to do if you put it in the whole context of the piece, rather than selecting the sentence as a statement of some kind and equating it to some kind of journalistic crime (almost). I think it was quite a good article, and I think the historic comparisons being made have been misinterpreted just a bit...

You can challenge my position on my interpretation of it if you like and the decision to let it run in the programme. However, I am of the opinion that it's possible to have a different interpretation of the piece, even of the actual ('offending') line. I have apologised if anyone has been really upset by it.

I have no intention of saying anything else on the matter. It's a programme article at the end of the day, one sentence of which caused a ripple of resentment to a handful of readers. It was not a 3,000-word assault on the victims of Hillsborough or their familes...

Oh, and of course, I apologise to non-transvestite Scots everywhere, Jim Smith. ;)

Donie