PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Taylor and Lims part ways.

Pages : [1] 2

Dunny
08/07/2014, 6:19 PM
http://www.limerickfc.ie/blues-and-taylor-part-ways

Mr A
08/07/2014, 6:19 PM
"Limerick FC have announced that they have parted company manager with Stuart Taylor"

Tweeted by RTE.

Somewhere, Roddy's spidey senses are tingling.

outspoken
08/07/2014, 11:30 PM
Fenlon and Russell the front runners according to the sun

oriel
08/07/2014, 11:53 PM
How many times do media outlets link Fenlon to jobs like these without realising the ambitions he has?

He has no interest in jobs like this, he wasn't interested in Sligo and gave Linfield the wide berth, so with the greatest respect to Limerick, he is not going there.

If Barraclough wants a quick way back, maybe he might go for it, but I think Limerick need someone more local as they appear to have lost touch with local the support base.

Then again the longer it takes to get them back to the Markets Field the harder it will get to attract more fans.

Lim till i die
09/07/2014, 12:11 AM
We lost touch with our support base because the team is a shambles.

What we need now is a strong Fenlonesque character to root out the deadwood and rule the club with an iron fist. Theres at least a dozen in our squad whos feet shouldnt touch the ground. Theres no one local anywhere near strong enough to do that while we re in the premier.

As to who'll get it I wouldnt want baraclough, made a bit of a ****** of Sligo by all accounts. Think we need a well respected irish coach who knows the league well and can spend the reasonably generous budget accordingly.

Just on Fenlon and his ambition, where exactly do you think his sights are set after an (arguably harsh) sacking from an spl club?? Arguably needs to go back to Ireland and start again.... Similar to another current Premier Division manager! ;)

NeverFeltBetter
09/07/2014, 12:38 AM
The budget is probably not going to increase for any new manager. The opposite maybe, looking at the crowds and the continued renting of Thomond. With that reality, whoevers next might not have the ability to sweep out as much of the deadwood as the fans might want.

Lim till i die
09/07/2014, 12:44 AM
The budget is probably not going to increase for any new manager. The opposite maybe, looking at the crowds and the continued renting of Thomond. With that reality, whoevers next might not have the ability to sweep out as much of the deadwood as the fans might want.

The Danny money and some of the Craig money is sloshing around, nice wodge in irish football

Charlie Darwin
09/07/2014, 1:04 AM
What we need now is a strong Fenlonesque character
Who could you possibly have in mind LITD?!

Lim till i die
09/07/2014, 1:30 AM
Who could you possibly have in mind LITD?!

Im hoping we can prize Dermot Keely away from Rock Celtic tbh.

KeepersBall
11/07/2014, 3:40 PM
We lost touch with our support base because the team is a shambles.

What we need now is a strong Fenlonesque character to root out the deadwood and rule the club with an iron fist. Theres at least a dozen in our squad whos feet shouldnt touch the ground. Theres no one local anywhere near strong enough to do that while we re in the premier.

As to who'll get it I wouldnt want baraclough, made a bit of a ****** of Sligo by all accounts. Think we need a well respected irish coach who knows the league well and can spend the reasonably generous budget accordingly.

Just on Fenlon and his ambition, where exactly do you think his sights are set after an (arguably harsh) sacking from an spl club?? Arguably needs to go back to Ireland and start again.... Similar to another current Premier Division manager! ;)

Mick Cooke!

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 12:18 AM
Pats fans, Ucd fan, Martin Russell any good??

Im a little underwhelmed.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 12:21 AM
He's the opposite of Russell Martin, if that helps. Why would you be underwhelmed? He'll have you playing the polar opposite of the much Taylor's been serving up. Would be interesting to see if Oji and Folan can pass the ball as well as they can defend.

Is that a rumour or is it confirmed?

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 12:28 AM
He's the opposite of Russell Martin, if that helps. Why would you be underwhelmed? He'll have you playing the polar opposite of the much Taylor's been serving up. Would be interesting to see if Oji and Folan can pass the ball as well as they can defend.

Is that a rumour or is it confirmed?

Its just a sideways step from Taylor. Our defenders trying to pass the ball is what is causing us most problems.

Olander
12/07/2014, 12:28 AM
Pats fans, Ucd fan, Martin Russell any good??

Im a little underwhelmed.
Did Limerick fans genuinely think they were going to get Pat Fenlon in as manager?

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 12:29 AM
Its a confirmed strong rumour!!

Nah im fairly reliably informed he was offered it this evening.

Im underwhelmed because im convinced the club needs a clearout and I dont know if Russell is A: strong enough to preside over said clearout and B: respected enough to attract good quality to replace the melons.

Also, for the record Folan is well able to play a bit of ball, its the defending he struggles with!

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 12:30 AM
Did Limerick fans genuinely think they were going to get Pat Fenlon in as manager?

I thought we were going to get Fabio Capello.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 12:35 AM
Its just a sideways step from Taylor. Our defenders trying to pass the ball is what is causing us most problems.
Only seen Lims twice this season but I have to say I didn't notice any defenders trying to pass the ball.

Its a confirmed strong rumour!!

Nah im fairly reliably informed he was offered it this evening.

Im underwhelmed because im convinced the club needs a clearout and I dont know if Russell is A: strong enough to preside over said clearout and B: respected enough to attract good quality to replace the melons.

Also, for the record Folan is well able to play a bit of ball, its the defending he struggles with!
Folan has defended very well any time I've seen him but, again, I don't see much of Limerick. Russell is a very good manager with a track record of bringing through young players (Limerick's squad, outside the imports, is pretty young from what I can see and Taylor has had to use a lot of the kids) and making the best of relatively weak squads.

Did Limerick fans expect to get somebody better? Pete Mahon is the only candidate I can think of whose record is significantly better and I doubt he'd want to leave Dublin.

Besides, when has poaching Pats' assistant manager ever worked out badly for a club? :)

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 12:40 AM
If Russell focuses on bringing through our current crop of youth he'll be doing so somewhere in the middle of the First Division.

We need a manager to bring a spine of a team with him, if Russell does that hooray

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 12:43 AM
Where are you going to get a spine of a team from? Leahy was Russell's captain at UCD. Reckon him, Turner, Oji, Folan and Williams has the makings of a decent defence. Gaffney is a terrific talent who could do much the same job Kilduff did at UCD. In Duggan and Tracy you have a couple of very good midfielders. That's the guts of a mid-table team right there with a manager who uses the players properly. On paper, they're better players than Athlone, Drogs and UCD.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 12:44 AM
Only seen Lims twice this season but I have to say I didn't notice any defenders trying to pass the ball.

Folan has defended very well any time I've seen him but, again, I don't see much of Limerick. Russell is a very good manager with a track record of bringing through young players (Limerick's squad, outside the imports, is pretty young from what I can see and Taylor has had to use a lot of the kids) and making the best of relatively weak squads.

Did Limerick fans expect to get somebody better? Pete Mahon is the only candidate I can think of whose record is significantly better and I doubt he'd want to leave Dublin.

Besides, when has poaching Pats' assistant manager ever worked out badly for a club? :)

Doing that at UCD with the likes of Corry and Finn on scholarships is a lot different then doing it at any other club. Our young players are crap.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 12:50 AM
Where are you going to get a spine of a team from? Leahy was Russell's captain at UCD. Reckon him, Turner, Oji, Folan and Williams has the makings of a decent defence. Gaffney is a terrific talent who could do much the same job Kilduff did at UCD. In Duggan and Tracy you have a couple of very good midfielders.

Leahy just tonight played his first twenty minutes for us since signing.

Robbie Williams has less interest in Limerick than you do.

Gaffney at the moment is no more a Ciaran Kilduff than he is a Packie Bonner.

And Shane Tracy is crocked.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 12:50 AM
Doing that at UCD with the likes of Corry and Finn on scholarships is a lot different then doing it at any other club. Our young players are crap.
A lot of the players at UCD wouldn't be the highest-rated either but he got them playing good football (as has Callaghan too from what I've seen). The principle is the same I think - empower decent young players with some confidence and they'll exceed your expectations. There are a lot of very good young players in Cork looking for an outlet and the right manager could tempt them over. The Cork squad at the moment looks a bit oversized so there's going to be a few lads thinking they need to move on to get a chance. Do Limerick have any links with the IT there?

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 12:57 AM
A lot of the players at UCD wouldn't be the highest-rated either but he got them playing good football (as has Callaghan too from what I've seen). The principle is the same I think - empower decent young players with some confidence and they'll exceed your expectations. There are a lot of very good young players in Cork looking for an outlet and the right manager could tempt them over. The Cork squad at the moment looks a bit oversized so there's going to be a few lads thinking they need to move on to get a chance. Do Limerick have any links with the IT there?

Going by Turners first two games they can keep em. They had something with UL but im not sure if it is still there. My problem is why bother sacking Taylor for having us mid table to go get Russell to have us mid table.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 1:02 AM
Going by Turners first two games they can keep em. They had something with UL but im not sure if it is still there. My problem is why bother sacking Taylor for having us mid table to go get Russell to have us mid table.
Surely Taylor was sacked because, in spite of three recent victories, you were perilously close to a relegation battle?

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 1:04 AM
Surely Taylor was sacked because, in spite of three recent victories, you were perilously close to a relegation battle?

I don't think we will be any further away with Russell tbh

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 1:11 AM
Based on what, though? Limerick have a better squad than any Russell was ever involved in with UCD.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 1:13 AM
Based on what, though? Limerick have a better squad than any Russell was ever involved in with UCD.

I honestly would not agree with that. From reading what you said about the spine we could have you are overestimating us tbh. There is no reason other than he is cheap that we are getting Russell.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 1:13 AM

Taylor was sacked because he spunked a pretty hefty budget on rubbish and our crowds have fallen to zombie apocalypse levels.

Solution?? Hire a nobody whos never had to work with a budget before.

I hope im wrong but I dont really see the logic. Maybe its cos its late and we got walked on by Athlone.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 1:22 AM
I honestly would not agree with that. From reading what you said about the spine we could have you are overestimating us tbh. There is no reason other than he is cheap that we are getting Russell.
I doubt it will be cheap to get him to commute three hours a day from Dublin or else move his family to Limerick (I suspect the latter). If Lims have got him, it's because the people in charge know what they're doing and they're looking to build something over the next couple of years rather than, as LITD says, spunking a heft budget on English journeymen.

Taylor was sacked because he spunked a pretty hefty budget on rubbish and our crowds have fallen to zombie apocalypse levels.

Solution?? Hire a nobody whos never had to work with a budget before.

I hope im wrong but I dont really see the logic. Maybe its cos its late and we got walked on by Athlone.
I don't mean this in a condescending way because I think Lims are a terrific club run by people who know how to run a football club and are looking to build something long-term and sustainable, but are you really in a position to be calling a proven Premier Division manager a "nobody"? Rovers were, by all accounts, seriously looking at him for the B team this year but went for Hawkins because he was already doing well within the existing structure, and Liam Buckley went out of his way to recruit him for the league champions. I would have loved to see what he could do with the First Division team and think we missed a trick.

Longfordian
12/07/2014, 1:33 AM
I don't know much about Russell really although his son has just left us, always seemed to be trying to play football but you can do that at UCD and you won't be getting any stick if you're losing. In terms of players signing, LTID you're even more cynical than I usually, the manager is probably third on the players' list at best behind "what's the pay?" and "where do I have to train during the week?". The former is usually most important in the First.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 1:37 AM
I doubt it will be cheap to get him to commute three hours a day from Dublin or else move his family to Limerick (I suspect the latter). If Lims have got him, it's because the people in charge know what they're doing and they're looking to build something over the next couple of years rather than, as LITD says, spunking a heft budget on English journeymen.

I don't mean this in a condescending way because I think Lims are a terrific club run by people who know how to run a football club and are looking to build something long-term and sustainable, but are you really in a position to be calling a proven Premier Division manager a "nobody"? Rovers were, by all accounts, seriously looking at him for the B team this year but went for Hawkins because he was already doing well within the existing structure, and Liam Buckley went out of his way to recruit him for the league champions. I would have loved to see what he could do with the First Division team and think we missed a trick.

Well if that doesnt fill us with confidence haha.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 1:41 AM
Youre patronising Limerick because you know nothing about the lie of the land down here.

If it is to be Russell I will support him 100% and hope it turns out to be a fantastic appointment. I am in a position to call him a nobody though because in the eyes.of the "Great Limerick Sporting Public tm" he is a nobody.

With the outlay Pat O'Sullivan has we should be on the coattails of the top four, not trying to build some kind of vague Cork City feeder club youth farm.

You would have loved to have seen what he did with your B team?? I'd love to see Limerick in Europe.

Theres absolute fortunes being spent on everything besides success. How long is long term.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 1:47 AM
In terms of players signing, LTID you're even more cynical than I usually, the manager is probably third on the players' list at best behind "what's the pay?" and "where do I have to train during the week?". The former is usually most important in the First.

I was more thinking those Russell have the contacts to get good things done (i genuinely dont know enough about the man to say whether he does or not)

Im around Limerick long enough to know footballers are whores, jaysus theyd play for Pat Dolan if the money was right

NeverFeltBetter
12/07/2014, 2:00 AM
Youre patronising Limerick because you know nothing about the lie of the land down here.

If it is to be Russell I will support him 100% and hope it turns out to be a fantastic appointment. I am in a position to call him a nobody though because in the eyes.of the "Great Limerick Sporting Public tm" he is a nobody.

With the outlay Pat O'Sullivan has we should be on the coattails of the top four, not trying to build some kind of vague Cork City feeder club youth farm.

You would have loved to have seen what he did with your B team?? I'd love to see Limerick in Europe.

Theres absolute fortunes being spent on everything besides success. How long is long term.

As long as it has to be. Those plans are going to set the club up for a very long time if they're done right. I'd rather a few midtable finishes and those "everythings"
proceeding as planned than a financially dangerous tilt at getting a few Euro fixtures.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 2:06 AM
As long as it has to be. Those plans are going to set the club up for a very long time if they're done right. I'd rather a few midtable finishes and those "everythings"
proceeding as planned than a financially dangerous tilt at getting a few Euro fixtures.

Which "everythings" do you think I was referring to??

And how long do you think P O'S is going to be around to **** millions up against our not particularly pretty wall??

By your logic why bother putting anythin into the first team. Lets just sign the Oscar Traynor and bobble around the middle of the first.division.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 2:06 AM

Team stays in around where it is now then crowds stay where they are now and these long term things dont happen.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 2:10 AM
Just heard more from my sauces.

Everything is alright with the world.

ALL HAIL KING MARTIN!!

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 2:15 AM
Well if that doesnt fill us with confidence haha.
Haha, well that's not the spirit I meant it in. I meant that I really rate him as a coach and, as the mentality within Rovers with the B team at the moment is to build a system where we can promote from within, the B team is as much an audition for coaches to move up to the senior team as much as it is for the players. Hawkins seems to be highly rated within the club. You've also only to look at the league to see how many players who wouldn't have been superstars in schoolboy football but are nonetheless some of the success stories at the top clubs.

Did I not admit that straight off? I might talk an awful lot of crap in here but I don't pretend to know things I don't.

My point about Russell has nothing to do with the opinions of the great unwashed in Limerick and everything to do with what I have observed about him as a coach, both from my own outlook and what I've been told by people who've worked with him.

Your point about being on the coattails of the top four is, frankly, unbelievable. You've been a PD team for 15 months and are disconnected from the major population centre in the country. Can you seriously say you have the budget and system to be competing with the major Dublin clubs, Cork, Dundalk, Sligo and Derry? Not a chance. Mid-table is a pretty good position for Limerick to be in right now.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 2:20 AM
Haha, well that's not the spirit I meant it in. I meant that I really rate him as a coach and, as the mentality within Rovers with the B team at the moment is to build a system where we can promote from within, the B team is as much an audition for coaches to move up to the senior team as much as it is for the players. Hawkins seems to be highly rated within the club. You've also only to look at the league to see how many players who wouldn't have been superstars in schoolboy football but are nonetheless some of the success stories at the top clubs.

Did I not admit that straight off? I might talk an awful lot of crap in here but I don't pretend to know things I don't.

My point about Russell has nothing to do with the opinions of the great unwashed in Limerick and everything to do with what I have observed about him as a coach, both from my own outlook and what I've been told by people who've worked with him.

Your point about being on the coattails of the top four is, frankly, unbelievable. You've been a PD team for 15 months and are disconnected from the major population centre in the country. Can you seriously say you have the budget and system to be competing with the major Dublin clubs, Cork, Dundalk, Sligo and Derry? Not a chance. Mid-table is a pretty good position for Limerick to be in right now.

Our budget not much different to those 3.

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 2:23 AM
Our budget not much different to those 3.
Cork and Derry have bags of young talent based in the city and Dundalk are up the road from Dublin. The same budget won't go as far in Limerick, hence why you've been bringing in folks from the UK.

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 2:25 AM
Cork and Derry have bags of young talent based in the city and Dundalk are up the road from Dublin. The same budget won't go as far in Limerick, hence why you've been bringing in folks from the UK.

Its probably just a case of being blinded by my hate for everyone after being made a show of by Athlone so i reserve the right to go back on everything I have said and welcome Russell wit open arms if needs be.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 2:26 AM
Your point about being on the coattails of the top four is, frankly, unbelievable. You've been a PD team for 15 months and are disconnected from the major population centre in the country. Can you seriously say you have the budget and system to be competing with the major Dublin clubs, Cork, Dundalk, Sligo and Derry? Not a chance.

Absolute waffle.

We're closer to Dublin than Cork or Derry and the city is more or less the same size as Derry.

Dunno what in the name of jaysus youre going on about with our "system"

I didnt say we should be better than the top four. I didn't say we should be winning the league. With our outlay we should be a LOT closer. And quite a bit ahead of Bohs, Bray, Drogheda, Athlone and Ucd. Which we're not.

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 2:32 AM
Its probably just a case of being blinded by my hate for everyone after being made a show of by Athlone so i reserve the right to go back on everything I have said and welcome Russell wit open arms if needs be.

Hang on a minute, we're all having an argument here.

Its the internet - NEVER BACK DOWN

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2014, 2:35 AM
hang on a minute, we're all having an argument here.

Its the internet - never back down

loud noises. !!!!!!!

Charlie Darwin
12/07/2014, 3:20 AM
Absolute waffle.

We're closer to Dublin than Cork or Derry and the city is more or less the same size as Derry.

Dunno what in the name of jaysus youre going on about with our "system"

I didnt say we should be better than the top four. I didn't say we should be winning the league. With our outlay we should be a LOT closer. And quite a bit ahead of Bohs, Bray, Drogheda, Athlone and Ucd. Which we're not.
I specifically excluded Cork and Derry from my comment about being close to Dublin because those cities produce players by the dozen and they come through the club. When Limerick is producing players like Alan Browne, Brian Lenihan, James McClean and Danny Lefferty, we can talk about Limerick competing with them, but until then we're not talking about the same thing.

I didn't say you said Limerick should be better than the top four, I said you said they should be competing. I named six clubs who have either better resources or better access to players, or both, than Limerick and said it's no surprise they're ahead of Limerick. You can't just throw out a big budget in this league and expect to compete. You need more than that, and those clubs do have more.

Dunny
12/07/2014, 3:47 AM
http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2014/06/61308_cf47022e667ff521b9115943e7e03d72.jpg

WoodquayBoy
12/07/2014, 7:52 AM
Just on Fenlon and his ambition, where exactly do you think his sights are set after an (arguably harsh) sacking from an spl club??
I presume this is you trying to be funny? A 'harsh' sacking! Presided over humiliating defeat to arch rivals in Cup final, brought club to brink of relegation - which came about despite his sacking - and had side playing awful stuff.
I struggle with the Fenlon love-in - a winning manager when operating with a big budget (relative to those around him) but he is found out, like at Hibs, when that's not the case

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 9:54 AM
I said arguably harsh. :-) Based on whats befallen Hibs since more than anything. Dont get me wrong, if I was a Hibs fan personally I would have organised a torch wielding mob to run him out of town.

Charlie I'm kinda done arguing about Limerick with a Shamrock fan. The board budgeted for fourth, as of last night we re fifteenth or sixteenth. (I havent looked at league table in ages) Geoghraphy lessons and genetically superior children aside, (actually, on the genetically superior children theres been so much money thrown at our under 19s over the last three or four year we could have fielded a team made of faberge eggs and solid gold and its taken the fai fannying around with the structures to get us out of the bottom tier, more wastage.) we are underachieving in a big way. Now the idea of this seems to upset you, but I'm not alone. We lost 1000 fans (all our new ones basically) in six months, everything around the club is gone dire.

We need a tyrant.

Is Martin Russell a tyrant??

Lim till i die
12/07/2014, 9:55 AM
http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2014/06/61308_cf47022e667ff521b9115943e7e03d72.jpg

Your pitch is crap.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
12/07/2014, 11:30 AM
How did the Limerick board see the league table finishing when they were finishing fourth? Seventh last season and have lost twice as many players this season as were brought in