PDA

View Full Version : Pete Mahon for the Drogs

Pages : [1] 2

KeepersBall
02/07/2014, 8:23 PM
Or so the rumour mill by the Boyneside has it.
Ian Fosters name was also in the frame but he hasn't been spoken to apparently.

nigel-harps1954
02/07/2014, 8:32 PM
Considering he just took a job at a club last week, it would be very surprising altogether.

Charlie Darwin
02/07/2014, 8:55 PM
Considering he just took a job at a club last week, it would be very surprising altogether.
He's still at Malahide isn't he?

KeepersBall
02/07/2014, 10:07 PM
I don't know how accurate the rumour is, but that's what's doing the rounds. EGM on Monday night may shed more light on the subject.

desaintsno.12
03/07/2014, 8:57 AM
would be perfect for Drogs and a great appointment

outspoken
04/07/2014, 1:03 PM
Ian Foster, oh my. :roll:

Ezeikial
04/07/2014, 2:42 PM
Ian Foster, oh my. :roll:

Drogheda Utd and Ian Foster

Nope - they would not be able to live with each other

KeepersBall
04/07/2014, 4:09 PM
Somebody told me that one of todays papers has Pat Scully linked with the
Haven't seen that myself has anyone else?

Joe Strummer
04/07/2014, 4:36 PM

Has Scully not run out of players that haven’t fallen out with him?

Louth4sam
04/07/2014, 5:16 PM
Mahon would be an ideal appointment for Drogheda. Football would be terrible but he would stabilise the club and he gets a lot from average players. Don't think Foster would work out at all.

Martinho II
04/07/2014, 10:19 PM
one paper today has ex Linfield boss David Jeffrey linked with the position at Drogheda which I find surprising!

Longfordian
04/07/2014, 11:30 PM

It was in the Herald, happened to pick it up in the pub earlier. Expected to appoint Scully was the wording used I think.

Acer
05/07/2014, 10:27 AM
one paper today has ex Linfield boss David Jeffrey linked with the position at Drogheda which I find surprising!

I've heard that this is true and Jeffrey will be unveiled next week with darius as assistant.

A few issues to sort out at boardroom level first though and any appointment will be influenced by that.

White Horse
05/07/2014, 10:42 AM
Big appointment by Drogheda.

I wonder does any of this relate to additional investment into the club?

KeepersBall
05/07/2014, 2:00 PM
I wished for this on here a few weeks back.
Set to be announced next Tuesday I believe.
Darius as assistant manager, deal until the end of the season.
I'd be happy enough with that.
Also I am hearing that there will be news about the new stadium announced as well.

Aaron
05/07/2014, 2:17 PM
LOL this will be good. His brand of football is ****e to say the least, poor tactician and is simply a man that tries to motivate his team and bullying the other team. Unless you give him a bottomless pit of cash to spend like he had at Linfield, this will end in tears

Terry
05/07/2014, 2:32 PM
Do we have to open new threads for every bit of drogs news?

nigel-harps1954
05/07/2014, 2:34 PM
Do we have to open new threads for every bit of drogs news?

Yes, obviously.

WOC2014
05/07/2014, 2:41 PM
I wished for this on here a few weeks back.
Set to be announced next Tuesday I believe.
Darius as assistant manager, deal until the end of the season.
I'd be happy enough with that.
Also I am hearing that there will be news about the new stadium announced as well.

Jaysis KB, with the amount of names you're throwing out there your bound to be right at some stage - what are you like at the lotto?

MiniMourinho
05/07/2014, 3:11 PM
No chance.

Yossarian
05/07/2014, 4:59 PM
Wonder will he be as successful as the last ex-Linfield boss to come to a Louth club!

Steve Bruce
05/07/2014, 5:18 PM
I'm far from a DJ fan but when he took over Linfield we where nearly bankrupt. He had to improve the team and drastically cut costs. He done that and was successful and we didn't have any money until ni drew England in the qualifiers. That was the start of the money.

His brand of football is woeful to say the least though and he thinks tactics are tictacs

JC_GUFC
06/07/2014, 12:48 PM
Wow. That would be a fantastic appointment. Says a lot about the direction of the Irish League if he's happier to manage Drogs than Linfield.

seand
07/07/2014, 8:36 AM
Wonder will he be as successful as the last ex-Linfield boss to come to a Louth club!

Dammit, I was jumping on this thread to say I hoped he'd be as successful as Trev** Anders** at Dundalk

Acer
08/07/2014, 8:54 AM
The club held an EGM last night; the Board had invited the potential investor (who promised to reappoint Cooke to the manager's role) to attend to discuss his plans and business proposals for the club with the members. Unsurprisingly, it turns out he was full of nonsense - he failed to submit any business plans and didn't even bother to show up. So the whole Cooke thing can finally be laid to rest and the club can move on.

It was confirmed that Jeffrey is in the running for the job but it's far from a done deal and there are several other candidates still under consideration.

Steve Bruce
12/07/2014, 2:02 PM
Wow. That would be a fantastic appointment. Says a lot about the direction of the Irish League if he's happier to manage Drogs than Linfield.

Eh? He officially resigned but in reality he was told his time was up. Linfield let him resign as a way of respect for what he had done for the club.

So please don't try and make this out as some sort of indication of how far Linfield/IL football has fallen away, it isn't and if anything the co-efficients of Europe shows the leagues are closing together with us improving and you lot getting worse.

ger121
12/07/2014, 5:25 PM
So please don't try and make this out as some sort of indication of how far Linfield/IL football has fallen away, it isn't and if anything the co-efficients of Europe shows the leagues are closing together with us improving and you lot getting worse.

This closing together of the leagues wouldn't be some sort of advocation for an All Ireland League?! ;)

oriel
12/07/2014, 10:31 PM
Eh? He officially resigned but in reality he was told his time was up. Linfield let him resign as a way of respect for what he had done for the club.

No no no, not having this at all. I think the IL is one of the poorest premier leagues in Europe. Linfield advanced v a Faroese side (2-1) and couldn't beat them at home. I was in Windsor in 2011 when Dundalk played Linfield , we won 5-3 and we finished a very deserved 6th that season.

The results from the IL clubs that took part in the Setanta this year was appalling. I'm really not sure Cliftonville or Linfield would have made it past the first round.

I'd consider IL clubs from 4th or 5th down to be LOI FD standard, and that's not great. Attendances back it up with most just under 1k. Granted we have poor crowds too at some clubs.

Linfield are possibly top 5 LOI, but from what I've seen last 3 years they are well behind Derry.

As for Davy, decent guy I like him, but lets see his next job.

Steve. Nothing personal.

Steve Bruce
14/07/2014, 6:22 AM
Your entitled to your opinion but if you think having the 2 best teams in the IL missing from the setanta wouldn't have made a difference your dillusional. Also the Crues where champions of Ireland the year before.

I wasn't for 1 second saying that il football was on par with loi, it isn't but the gap is closing and that's reflected in the Co efficients.

Also don't worry about me taking it personal mate. I'm not that soft ;) lol

oriel
14/07/2014, 8:12 AM
In hindsight I would agree if Linfield and Cliftonville had taken part, they would of course have represented the IL much better, and fair point on Crusaders winning it previously.

Ezeikial
14/07/2014, 8:24 AM
Your entitled to your opinion but if you think having the 2 best teams in the IL missing from the setanta wouldn't have made a difference your dillusional.

Of course he didn't say that (but then you already knew that!)

I'm really not sure Cliftonville or Linfield would have made it past the first round.

Obviously both of those teams are stronger then the ones who replaced them, but Oriel's comment is reasonable.

Perhaps the gap is closing between the the two leagues but it remains a wide chasm at the moment

JC_GUFC
14/07/2014, 8:58 AM

Didn't realise it was a "mutual" resignation.

I thought it was more him saying he'd taken you as far as he could.

Drogheda wouldn't be a particularly attractive job but I guess geographically it would work for him.

It's good to see some sort of shake-up taking place over the last few weeks with the NIFL proposals but that was much needed for the Irish League as far as I could see.

Shocking as it may sound the LoI seems to be run much better.

Mr_Parker
14/07/2014, 9:09 AM
Jeffrey to take charge of Drogheda

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/jeffrey-to-take-charge-of-drogs-30428180.html

Mr_Parker
14/07/2014, 9:09 AM
Didn't realise it was a "mutual" resignation.

That's the nice way to put it!

Mr_Parker
14/07/2014, 9:11 AM
Shocking as it may sound the LoI seems to be run much better.

I would contend that point. The main difference between the two leagues is the LOI's ability to offer full time training, though that has been at major cost to many LOI clubs.

Nesta99
14/07/2014, 1:45 PM
Wouldn't mind a few of the IL grounds and if there is a gap on the field one way there is a gap on infrastructure the other! I think DJ is a risky appointment as what Drogheda needs is stability and consolidation for now and that would be a Pete Mahon type remit. But then my opinion could based on our experience of a 'successful' manager tipping down from Belfast...

Acer
26/07/2014, 4:57 PM
On Monday we'll unveil Damien Richardson as manager. Darius as number two. Good appointments in my opinion.

markc1184
26/07/2014, 5:01 PM
On Monday we'll unveil Damien Richardson as manager. Darius as number two. Good appointments in my opinion.

Acer, do you think this is a short term appointment until the end of the season in the hope Darius goes for his badges in the off season and takes over full time?

pineapple stu
26/07/2014, 5:26 PM
Drogheda programme sales will go through the roof anyway

El-Pietro
26/07/2014, 5:34 PM
heartbreaking!

Acornvilla
26/07/2014, 5:44 PM
That's mad, I thought Damien had just given up on the management lark.

nigel-harps1954
26/07/2014, 5:51 PM
What happened to David Jeffries? Was told he'd have to do a Sunday game every now and again?

White Horse
26/07/2014, 6:05 PM

On the face of it, it is more stable that the Jeffrey option. I'm glad to see Darius involved. His tenure has been hugely successful.

Fenn to retire presumably.

Acer
26/07/2014, 6:06 PM
Acer, do you think this is a short term appointment until the end of the season in the hope Darius goes for his badges in the off season and takes over full time?

As far as I know it's an initial deal till the end of the season. I think one of the problems with darius and the badges is the cost involved. It's just a very expensive course. However, it's great to keep him on board and to get someone like Richardson in is a very shrewd move. They should make a fantastic team.

I think Fenn stays on as coach.

What happened to David Jeffries? Was told he'd have to do a Sunday game every now and again?

He 'couldn't commit to our training schedule'.

El-Pietro
26/07/2014, 8:27 PM
What am I supposed to do now? I love Rico and want to see him do well. But my default position on Drogs is that they should lose all their games!

Acer
26/07/2014, 8:35 PM
Officially confirmed now - http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/post.php?s=2014-07-26-drogheda-united-appoints-new-manager

Charlie Darwin
26/07/2014, 8:39 PM
Cracking picture choice there.

ger121
26/07/2014, 10:03 PM
I'd say some of his prematch talks are going to go right over some players' heads

Charlie Darwin
26/07/2014, 10:19 PM
You mean above their crania?

ger121
26/07/2014, 10:27 PM
Damian couldn't have articulated it any more elequently himself