PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Can't access some sites in different browsers

osarusan
13/06/2014, 11:04 PM
Hi,

looking for some help with this.

Sites like wikipedia, facebook, and some others are off limits somehow.

I get a 'problem loading page, connection was reset while loading' message on firefox, a 'cannot load' message on chrome, and a 'cannot display the webpage' message in IE, which, when 'diagnosed', tells me there's no problem with connection.

These were all loading fine until just yesterday (on Firefox anyway, don't use the other two much).

I don't recall changing any settings of any kind, but my 3-year old was messing about with the mouse.

Any idea what the problem might be?

osarusan
14/06/2014, 7:38 AM
Update on this:

It seems that the problem is with wikipedia, boards.ie, and some sites which you might click on from a facebook news feed.

I've cleared cookies and cache, I've reset firefox, but no luck. I'd download a new version of firefox, but that site is another I can't get access to.

Anybody?

strangeirish
14/06/2014, 12:06 PM
Well first of all, try a reboot if you haven't already. Disable your anti virus to see if that lets you through. Also, if you have an ad blocker, disable that too and see what happens. Check your add ons/extensions in Firefox. May be something on there causing it. Try booting up in safe mode and try accessing Firefox from there.

osarusan
15/06/2014, 11:44 AM
Rebooted a few times, disabled anti-virus, ad-blocker, started in safe mode...but it's not only Firefox. These sites have just stopped loading in all browsers. It must be a laptop problem? I turned off the windows firewall also, but nothing. Pinged the sites - no response.

On firefox, the circle is green at first, like a connection is being succesfully established, then it stops.

Just stopped loading all of a sudden - how can that even happen?

osarusan
15/06/2014, 11:58 AM
I did it!!

All by myself!! (kind of)

I changed the settings for IPv6 and that sorted it...for the moment at least.

strangeirish
15/06/2014, 12:01 PM
I did it!!

All by myself!! (kind of)

I changed the settings for IPv6 and that sorted it...for the moment at least.

Haha, I was just about to say it may be an IP issue. What OS have you, Win 7, 8?

osarusan
15/06/2014, 12:14 PM
Vi.....Vis......bleurgh.....Vista.

dahamsta
16/06/2014, 11:47 AM
Go and sit in the corner.

nigel-harps1954
16/06/2014, 3:23 PM
Even XP, without support, is better than Vista currently.