PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Gleeson

Charlie Darwin
09/06/2014, 1:03 PM
Just signed for Birmingham from MK Dons:

http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/20140605-official-blues-bag-irish-midfielder-1612403.aspx

paul_oshea
09/06/2014, 2:04 PM
saw him a few times thought he looked good, was he at boahs before he signed with wolves?

Always thought he had the look of a player who could play at a higher level.

Charlie Darwin
09/06/2014, 2:16 PM
Don't think he was ever at Bohs or any other LOI club.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2014, 2:37 PM
saw him a few times thought he looked good, was he at boahs before he signed with wolves?

Always thought he had the look of a player who could play at a higher level.

That's a new one on me, didn't you know it's "Bo-ez"?

He's an elegant player alright.

paul_oshea
09/06/2014, 2:49 PM
Ya i suppose phonetically wasnt correct but thats how we country folk would spell it with that "Dublin" pronounciation.

SkStu
10/06/2014, 12:50 AM
No, he was never at Bohs. Paul Keegan of Doncaster was, maybe you're thinking of him?

Delighted for Gleeson though, great move for him. And well deserved by all accounts.

tetsujin1979
10/06/2014, 9:56 AM
Could have been thinking of Shaun Williams. He was with MK Dons until January, he played LOI football with Drogheda United, and Sporting Fingal and had loans with Dundalk and Finn Harps (loan), before moving across the water

paul_oshea
10/06/2014, 10:41 AM
Was there a gleeson lad who played u21s that was with longford or something some years ago? You can't second guess me cos im completely confused now, its not keegan, and its not williams cos whoever i was thinking of with bohs was a good few years ago.

But either way the few times i saw gleeson for mk dons i was impressed.

tetsujin1979
10/06/2014, 10:56 AM
the only players named Gleeson on fai.ie are Stephen Gleeson, Jessica Gleeson and Siobhan Gleeson

sorbothegreek
10/06/2014, 11:41 AM
Was there a gleeson lad who played u21s that was with longford or something some years ago? You can't second guess me cos im completely confused now, its not keegan, and its not williams cos whoever i was thinking of with bohs was a good few years ago.

At a guess I'd say it's Gary Deegan you're thinking of, former Longford, Galway and Bohs player recently released by Northampton.

geysir
10/06/2014, 12:52 PM
It's one of those questions which just has people stumped,
trying to recall a player who once looked good playing for Bohs.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2014, 1:21 PM

Are you thinking of Alan Sheehan? I think he's from Athlone.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2014, 10:15 PM
Johnser Keane had a stint at Bohs some years back, is that who you're thinking of?

Stuttgart88
10/06/2014, 10:22 PM
It's one of those questions which just has people stumped,
trying to recall a player who once looked good playing for Bohs.
That's not fair. Dermot O'Neill's defence made him look good.

Stuttgart88
22/08/2015, 9:19 AM
Scored with a deflected shot from outside the box against Derby last night. Keogh and Christie in the Derby team. I didn't see the game but good to see him getting established at this level. It didn't do Keith Andrews or Keith Fahey any harm rising through the ranks slowly.

DeLorean
22/08/2015, 9:31 AM
I saw most of it. Gleeson was busy but it was mostly backs to the walls stuff for Birmingham as Derby controlled most of the possession. That said, Birmingham gave them trouble with their direct play at times and it actually made for a brilliant match, possibly the best Championship game I've seen in ages. Derby were silky and skillful, Christie and Keogh were both decent but particularly Keogh, who was very aggressive and assured. His partnership with Shackell could be the making of him, definitely a decent step up from Buxton, Shotton, Albentosa, etc. Doesn't really look good for Alex Pearce though unfortunately. Birmingham's best spell was the fifteen minutes before half time when Gleeson came into the game as well. The goal was really fortunate, actually a crazy distance to shoot from in all honesty! Derby, literally, can't buy a win.

tetsujin1979
22/08/2015, 9:40 AM
Gleeson's first goal for MK Dons was from a similar distance
SWBRAj_jEqg

DeLorean
22/08/2015, 10:20 AM
Jesus... What a goal!

tricky_colour
13/09/2015, 4:33 AM
Is he worth call up for the German game when we are without Whelan?

He plays a similar position I think, defensive midfielder, he has 2 goals and 2 motm this season so he is in fine form.

I can see him sticking one or two like the one above past the Krauts :)

Stuttgart88
13/09/2015, 2:12 PM
He should be close to the squad and is playing the right standard of football now to be considered. You'd wonder if he's being tracked though.

IsMiseSean
13/09/2015, 7:13 PM
I see MON was at the Fulham v Blackburn game today, maybe Jamie O'Hara will replace Whelan??? :rolleyes:

triggsrevenge
14/09/2015, 3:01 PM
I see MON was at the Fulham v Blackburn game today, maybe Jamie O'Hara will replace Whelan??? :rolleyes:

Encouraging that he's looking at Duffy!

DeLorean
15/09/2015, 11:29 AM
Is he worth call up for the German game when we are without Whelan?

He plays a similar position I think, defensive midfielder, he has 2 goals and 2 motm this season so he is in fine form.

It's highly unlikely (and probably rightly so) that he'd jump ahead of the four midfielders cut from our last squad in time for the Germany game, namely Pilkington, Judge, Arter and O'Kane. Gibson might also be back in the fold.

tricky_colour
15/09/2015, 7:34 PM
It's highly unlikely (and probably rightly so) that he'd jump ahead of the four midfielders cut from our last squad in time for the Germany game, namely Pilkington, Judge, Arter and O'Kane. Gibson might also be back in the fold.

Dunno if Arter will be back I think the manager said about 4 weeks, so it will be close, if Arter is back he is likely to play I think given he is
considered better than O'Kane, or was, They will just have to look at who is in best form nearer the match. O'Kane's stats for the last
match were poor 4.04!
But Gleeson is flying high in the Championship stats at the moment, as is Judge, the others not so much, if it continues like that
he should be considered.

Also

Birmingham City (http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/all-about/birmingham-city-fc) midfielder Stephen Gleeson has been nominated for August’s Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month Award.

Gleeson has impressed in the middle of the park and capped off a string of fine performances with two goals against Derby County and MK Dons.
The 27-year-old found the net in Blues’ 1-1 draw with Derby with a long-range effort before opening the scoring delightfully at Stadium mk.

He is playing tonight v Forest, already has a yellow card so he is getting stuck in :) 0-0 HT

tetsujin1979
17/01/2016, 10:26 PM
terrible cross from Gleeson this weekend: https://twitter.com/Ar_Championship/statuses/688799077513990145
;)

DeLorean
29/04/2016, 7:48 PM
Scored while ago to give Birmingham the lead against Middlesbrough. Boro have equalised since after a howler from the Birmingham goalkeeper. It was what's become a typical Gleeson goal I suppose, a shot from outside the box. I'd say he couldn't believe the space he found himself in after the ball was headed clear by the defender. A rocket of a shot after a nice first touch to tee himself up. The keeper got a hand to it and maybe could have done better but there was a lot of power in it.

TheOneWhoKnocks
12/09/2016, 1:37 PM
Odd one this.

Gleeson left out through injury before the Intl break, but has since returned from injury and subsequently being left out of the squad entirely yet again.

Reece Brown's creativity preferred.

“I just felt as though Reece has done so well - and if you are going to change games sometimes, particularly if you are chasing games,” Rowett said.

“With Dave Davis already in the team we had three central midfielders that know the role and can do the same role.

“I felt for me to bring Glees into the 18 would be me doing it just because he is a senior player, the right thing to do was to keep Reece involved in the squad.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/explained-birmingham-citys-stephen-gleeson-11869393

Thought he was doing quite well for them.

Charlie Darwin
12/09/2016, 1:43 PM
Bloody foreign managers.

OwlsFan
12/09/2016, 4:31 PM
He had been linked to Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, and Reading last month. I wonder did he put a few noses out of joint by perhaps expressing a wish of wanting to get away as he had been doing well.

tetsujin1979
03/04/2017, 3:30 PM
almost ten years between his second cap in June 2007 and his third last week! Must be a record?

zero
19/01/2018, 2:17 PM
gleeson has left birmingham to play under mick again at ipswich.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42745633