PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to win the title?

Pages : [1] 2

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:13 PM
Here's the poll requested by Max Power. It'd be better if City or Shels fans didn't vote so we can get a fair reflection..... I'm confident Shels are even more hated than us anyway lads!

btw, if the same crap starts on this thread as on the other one I'll close it aswell.

max power
02/11/2004, 4:15 PM
thanks colm.

Roo69
02/11/2004, 4:16 PM
Shels everytime !

If City won the league we would never hear the end of it :D

Dazzy
02/11/2004, 4:21 PM
We would never hear the end of it from Shels fans either but they dont got the numbers :p

Roo69
02/11/2004, 4:29 PM
We would never hear the end of it from Shels fans either but they dont got the numbers :p

Shels dont even compare to city support wise ! especially on this board.

Partizan
02/11/2004, 6:09 PM
Shelbourne :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
02/11/2004, 7:40 PM
Definitly Shels. As a Longford fan I am resigned to the fact that we will never dominate the league. Im happy winning the cup every year. Ive long believed that we need one club to dominate the domestic game in Ireland. The club best placed to do that is Shels. If Shels could go on to dominate in the same way as a club like Rosenborg, it would raise the profile of the EL, and consequently raise the standard of the rest of the league. The more top players they sign, the more chance we have of having EL players in the international set-up. So Shels it is for me.

Anyhow, Cork is full of L@ngers. :p

Éanna
02/11/2004, 10:14 PM
Ive long believed that we need one club to dominate the domestic game in Ireland. The club best placed to do that is Shels.
first of all I think the idea of one club dominating any league is bad news, even if it was City, I'm sure it would eventually get boring. And can you please explain how shels are best placed to do it? I would have thought a club with a big fanbase or at least the potential for one would be better?

dortie
03/11/2004, 9:11 AM
Cork City without a doubt.

Good supporters too.

Dillo
03/11/2004, 9:28 AM
Definitly Shels. As a Longford fan I am resigned to the fact that we will never dominate the league. Im happy winning the cup every year. Ive long believed that we need one club to dominate the domestic game in Ireland. The club best placed to do that is Shels. If Shels could go on to dominate in the same way as a club like Rosenborg, it would raise the profile of the EL, and consequently raise the standard of the rest of the league. The more top players they sign, the more chance we have of having EL players in the international set-up. So Shels it is for me.

That's good thinking PM. We see how much progress Rosenborg have made, also playing in a poor league. Personally I'd prefer if neither Cork or Shels could win the league if that were at all possible. Those l@ngers are hard to listen to. I believe Cork though, in the long run might be better equipped club to dominate the league as they are located in a greater catchment area and have the much superior fanbase which is a very important factor.

noby
03/11/2004, 9:34 AM
City. Because they're not from Dublin.
I don't buy this Rosenberg comparison either.

missfootie
03/11/2004, 1:08 PM
Shelbourne because the have done the FAI proud with their run in Europe this year and Stewie Byrne is a Legend....

CuanaD
03/11/2004, 1:16 PM
City & Shel$ are both well placed to dominate the league. I know Shels had a great (moneyspinning) run this year in Europe, but Cork showed in the Intertoto that they could also win in europe. IMO they are the 2 best teams in the league at the moment & either should be expected to win through rounds in Europe whether UEFA or CL. We would be better off with 2 (or more) teams with a realistic chance of league (& Euro) sucess each year & at least 1 should be from outside Dublin. :ball:

joeSoap
03/11/2004, 1:32 PM
Gotta be Cork City

$Leon$
03/11/2004, 2:26 PM

disagree there with u i'm afraid. i think pat dolan has more hunger (excuse the pun) and determination to win the league than any other man associated with the el. his pasion knows no bounds. love to see him clinch the title this year. need to spread the success around the country
whats the point in havin one team dominating? bit like connaught hurling championship. it got so bad with galway winning every year they stopped givin a trophy for the galway rossie token match every year. is this what u want for the el? do u really think a dominant shels will bring top players to tolka? it would be like the spl but without rangers or celtic.

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/11/2004, 5:49 PM
disagree there with u i'm afraid. i think pat dolan has more hunger (excuse the pun) and determination to win the league than any other man associated with the el. his pasion knows no bounds. love to see him clinch the title this year. need to spread the success around the country
whats the point in havin one team dominating? bit like connaught hurling championship. it got so bad with galway winning every year they stopped givin a trophy for the galway rossie token match every year. is this what u want for the el? do u really think a dominant shels will bring top players to tolka? it would be like the spl but without rangers or celtic.

If one team can go ahead of the reat, this in turn will put pressure on the other teams to follow suit. Shels have already brought in top players with the money they've made, ie. Alan Moore and Juan Sara. What other team could sign Dean Delaney and leave him on the bench for the season. This is the type of standard that we need to set. I would argue that we are already at the same standard as the SPL in football terms. Bohemians defeat of Aberdeen in the UEFA Cup of 2000 is proof of that. I wouldnt mind having a Celtic/Rangers scenario in this country. If we get crowds that big, as much coverage in the media, and Irish people staying at home, then that would be a great thing. Arguably, there are only 3 clubs currently in with a chance of winning the league in Ireland. We need one club to surge ahead of the rest. Otherwise, the EL will remain as it is: the same backward people arguing about the same irrelavant issues, and struggling clubs squabbling for crums from the cake.

thecorner
03/11/2004, 5:57 PM
We need one club to surge ahead of the rest. Otherwise, the EL will remain as it is: the same backward people arguing about the same irrelavant issues, and struggling clubs squabbling for crums from the cake.

so u dont think competiton is a good thing

never have seen such a stupic comment on foot in all my time here :rolleyes:

Gary
03/11/2004, 5:58 PM
I wouldnt mind having a Celtic/Rangers scenario in this country.

Thats just plain silly and wrong. Look at what that situation has done to the Scottish League. Once proud teams like Aberdeen and Hearts are now effectively playing for 3rd place. Celtic and Rangers have eveolved as far as they can go. The whole SPL is stagnating.

How the hell is that a good thing???

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/11/2004, 6:08 PM
so u dont think competiton is a good thing

never have seen such a stupic comment on foot in all my time here :rolleyes:

That's my opinion. Competition is a good thing. But we need one team to raise the bar in order for the rest to follow suit. For this reason, I would like to see Shels win the title for the next couple of seasons. The reason Celtic and Rangers have evolved the way they have is due to history. I'm not suggesting that a similar gap would appear in the EL. It wont. I know it may hurt you as a Cork fan but Shels competing and doing well on the European stage is a good thing. I simply have the vision and foresight to accept this.

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/11/2004, 6:55 PM
ABM,ABC,ABK etc. ;)

Only a mother could love you Davros! Don't think anyone understands you!

Dr.Nightdub
03/11/2004, 7:32 PM
The poll should include an option for people to cast spoiled votes.

RedX
03/11/2004, 9:02 PM
I think this is a poor thread..why should any Cork City fans care less whether anyone besides our own supporters would want us to win?..i could not care less who wins any trophy if Cork City FC do not win it.. :confused:

Why would a poll be started just because some 14 year old nobody from Longford does not like what we say about her little team getting hammered in Europe?..Ahem..MaxinePower.. ;)

Longfordian
03/11/2004, 9:15 PM
Now Max can defend himself but the idea was that people other than Cork or Shels fans who browse this forum would vote..Worthwhile enough question for a general eL forum I would think. It isn't anti-cork (except for max maybe ;) )

RedX
03/11/2004, 9:51 PM
When i see Lonford fans starting threads like these i really wish a bigger club like Galway United were back in the Premier League.. :rolleyes:

Longfordian
03/11/2004, 9:54 PM
What's wrong with asking who you want to win the league ffs?! As I said it isn't anti-cork for most people don't be getting touchy..what makes Galway a bigger club than us exactly..We've achieved at least as much as they have..(not dissing Galway)

Poor Student
03/11/2004, 10:01 PM
That's my opinion. Competition is a good thing. But we need one team to raise the bar in order for the rest to follow suit. For this reason, I would like to see Shels win the title for the next couple of seasons. The reason Celtic and Rangers have evolved the way they have is due to history. I'm not suggesting that a similar gap would appear in the EL. It wont. I know it may hurt you as a Cork fan but Shels competing and doing well on the European stage is a good thing. I simply have the vision and foresight to accept this.

You're way off the mark. Other clubs in Scotland trying to catch up with the Old Firm who went off ahead of them ruined themselves. Clubs like Dundee, Livingston and Motherwell went into administration and Dunfermline almost followed them. While Hearts racked up an £18m debt about the same size as Celtic! All other clubs including the once European Cup Winners' Cup winners Aberdeen are skint. The clubs shelled out more than they could afford trying to catch up with bigger clubs with more resources and bankrupted themselves while failing to do so. An Old Firm in Ireland will just see the best get better and open up a gap and create bordeom which could totally stagnate our league. What has Rosenborg's dominance of Norway (who have just won their 13th league title btw) done for any of the other clubs? Only with Rosenborg's stagnation have other clubs even come close to them.

RedX
03/11/2004, 10:05 PM
Longfordonian..Galway are big and Longford are small....face up to it.. ;)

Éanna
03/11/2004, 10:18 PM
I know it may hurt you as a Cork fan but Shels competing and doing well on the European stage is a good thing. I simply have the vision and foresight to accept this.
I have no problem with shels or any other irish team doing well in europe, I welcome it, but when it gets to the point where they'd make enough money to buy the league every year, I think its a very bad thing

max power
04/11/2004, 12:30 AM
I think this is a poor thread..why should any Cork City fans care less whether anyone besides our own supporters would want us to win?..i could not care less who wins any trophy if Cork City FC do not win it.. :confused:

Why would a poll be started just because some 14 year old nobody from Longford does not like what we say about her little team getting hammered in Europe?..Ahem..MaxinePower.. ;)

ok this is the second thread started, the first one was ruined by cork fans moaning, the numbers speak for themselves, btw check my profile i'm 27 :rolleyes:

Colm
04/11/2004, 11:26 AM
I have no problem with shels or any other irish team doing well in europe, I welcome it

Why would you welcome anything positive for that excuse for a football club?! I wish nothing but misery upon the horrible scumbags.

wakenuppaddy
04/11/2004, 11:49 AM
Shelbourne without a doubt.
Good supporters too.

corkharps
04/11/2004, 12:34 PM
Cork without a doubt!
Good neighbours too! ;) :D

patsh
04/11/2004, 12:54 PM
Cork without a doubt!
Good neighbours too! ;) :DLooking forward to the weekend in Ballybofey already!:D

Éanna
04/11/2004, 3:25 PM
Why would you welcome anything positive for that excuse for a football club?! I wish nothing but misery upon the horrible scumbags.
I despise shels, but irish clubs doing well in europe is good for all of us in terms of image

Colm
04/11/2004, 4:27 PM
I despise shels, but irish clubs doing well in europe is good for all of us in terms of image

Yeah I know what you mean and I'd normally agree..... except when it comes to Shels!

max power
04/11/2004, 4:31 PM
Yeah I know what you mean and I'd normally agree..... except when it comes to Shels!

colm amd éanna non-corks go away, now :D ;)

max power
05/11/2004, 5:37 PM
after 3 days its not far off 50/50 i think my views are justified in that not everyone wants to see city win the league.

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/11/2004, 5:45 PM
after 3 days its not far off 50/50 i think my views are justified in that not everyone wants to see city win the league.

Agreed Max. I definitly dont want to see City win the league. Cork fans must think that they have a divine right to receive the support of every other club's supporters.

Maz
05/11/2004, 5:52 PM
At the end of the day, the team with the most points wins and win on merit! Other big clubs had the chance to challenge shels and Cork City are the ones that took that chance! best of luck to em' if they do it they do it if not theres always next year!

1 9 2 8
05/11/2004, 6:12 PM
I want Cork to win it. The people down there are dead on :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/11/2004, 7:45 PM
I want Cork to win it. The people down there are dead on :)

You havent been to too many places have you?

boc123
05/11/2004, 8:12 PM
You havent been to too many places have you?

Probably comparing us to the entire population of Longford. Wouldn't be hard then :rolleyes:

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/11/2004, 8:21 PM
Probably comparing us to the entire population of Longford. Wouldn't be hard then :rolleyes:

Considering the size of Cork in terms of population, its amazing their trophy cabinet is so empty. Somehow the small county has produced a team that has won three trophies in the last 2 seasons. :D

JoeSemi
06/11/2004, 8:56 PM
Considering the size of Cork in terms of population, its amazing their trophy cabinet is so empty. Somehow the small county has produced a team that has won three trophies in the last 2 seasons. :D

The phrase "All talk and no action" springs to mind with those from that part of the world PM....thats discounting my Grandad! Even tho he is now firmly established on the Summit of Gorey Hill!! ;)

De Town
06/11/2004, 9:10 PM
Max, I don't care what you say, I want Cork to win the title. Shels have to be the dirtiest, least sporting team ever. TWICE we were stopped/put the ball out for A SHELS PLAYER to be treated and they wouldnt give the ball back :mad:

FCUKIN SCUMBAGS :mad:

A face
06/11/2004, 11:28 PM
Max, I don't care what you say, I want Cork to win the title. Shels have to be the dirtiest, least sporting team ever. TWICE we were stopped/put the ball out for A SHELS PLAYER to be treated and they wouldnt give the ball back :mad:

FCUKIN SCUMBAGS :mad:

I think it should be within reason .... but we've been saying that all along. Dont want to go over board but it is a shame to see their behaviour. If a team plays better than you then fair enough, admit it and give credit. Resorting to cráp tactics is not doing the league any favours. This may be described as opportunist but it aint the first time it has been said.

Slash/ED
06/11/2004, 11:34 PM
It was Crawley who wouldn't give the ball back the first time (Have to admit, I only saw it happen once but I'll take your word for it). Absoutley stupid thing to do. The referee was sh*te, he also missed Crawley completley out doing Maradona in the greatest handball never to be called.

mind you, Longford were as bad. One of their subs got sent off for taking out a Shels player on the sidelines when a throw was being taken ffs, it was an absolutley filthy match all round.

thecorner
06/11/2004, 11:36 PM
One of their subs got sent off for taking out a Shels player on the sidelines when a throw was being taken ffs, .

brilliant :D

Longfordian
07/11/2004, 1:25 AM
I'd have to agree with Slash, it was a filthy match but I felt that the ref let it get that way, never controlled it but I felt that once we got on top Shels got really narked. Vinny Perth got sent off as a sub warming up. Apparently he wouldnt give the ball back quick enough for a Shels throw in which led to a Shels player charging in to take it from him with elbows up apparently to which Vinny responded with a punch..he had to go but it was in keeping with the game.. I got the impression that Shels didnt think we'd be trying so hard

higgins
07/11/2004, 7:49 AM
I would have thought a club with a big fanbase or at least the potential for one would be better?

So you dont think that getting 24,000 to a game and selling out Lansdowne is good enough?

you really do have a problem with shels!!

I am waiting for the rubbish that will come back about 23,000 fans from other clubs bla bla bla bla...