PDA

View Full Version : Your own favourite mental reaction to an Irish goal?

Pages : [1] 2

BonnieShels
05/06/2014, 7:58 PM
Watching the Carlsberg ad and seeing yer man going ape at the end and also the memories of Robbie's goal in 2002 v Germany, got me thinking...

What's the most mental you've ever gone after an Ireland goal?

Off the top of my head I think our goal against France in Paris was easily my most over-the-top reaction... jumped off my barstool and landed about 5 feet away at the back of the bar in The Lotts on Liffey St.

(I'm talking positive reactions, I've pretty terrible reactions from the Croatia, Italy and Austria equalisers, but we don't need more negativity)

IsMiseSean
05/06/2014, 8:48 PM
Ray Houghton's goal against Italy in 94. Ran the length of the hallway and finished with a knee slide. I suffered with severe carpet burn for weeks...

DeLorean
05/06/2014, 9:10 PM
Robbie's was definitely the most mental reaction I've witnessed. I was in the local and it was mobbed. I distinctly remember going through the permutations in my head that the one nil defeat had left us. I was clinging to the fact that Cameroon had only beaten the Saudis 1-0 and if you were to rely on anybody doing you a favour, it would be the Germans. It still felt like clutching at straws though, as we tend to do supporting Ireland when all of a sudden Quinn knocked it down to Keane and BOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Everybody went absolutely nuts, everybody was hugging and jumping around so wildly that beer wasn't just spilled, full pints were literally dropping to the ground. The place was just flooded in beer and with every step you could hear the crunching of broken glass.

The McAteer goal was great too but incomparable really, you just can't beat a goal in injury time with all hope lost.

CraftyToePoke
05/06/2014, 9:38 PM
McAteer Vs Holland, while living in Holland and suffering silently their arrogance in the lead up, they really never saw it coming. It was pre mobile phone blanket coverage so when I lost the lads I scampered back to the house and watched it alone. When we scored, it was surreal, I was all alone with this moment of pure perfection in a deserted street in the middle of Amsterdam and I ended up running through the house and into the back garden, shouting, I mean really shouting as loud as I could.

It was that moment, the realising I was the only one shouting, the only voice in a row of suddenly very silent back gardens and balconies, full of Dutch neighbours who had been so dismissive of our team in the lead up. Perfect, totally perfect.

Could never be pi$$ed off with McAteer after it, no matter how many ill informed, daft sound bite, interviews he gives.

paul_oshea
05/06/2014, 9:52 PM
The McAteer goal was class, in the local at home, well local at the time watching it with the soccer lads of the town, or just the alcos and soccer lads. Wouldnt have known any too well but going mental all the same, the barman always very cool but even he was going mental, thought he might give us a few free ones after but he didnt. Anyway the funniest moment for me was we jumped up we were on those small table stools, and we went mental but knocked all the stools over my mate was going mental then once the euphoria was over and adrenalin wearing off he was holding his shin and saying he hurt himself, he had gone shin first into the stool and sent it across the room, huge gash on his shin but didnt even noticed till about 10 mins after because of pure elation. Couldnt stop laughing later that night cos it was more sore, but at the time all we were thinking about was holding onto the lead.

BonnieShels
05/06/2014, 10:00 PM
The McAteer goal was class, in the local at home, well local at the time watching it with the soccer lads of the town, or just the alcos and soccer lads. Wouldnt have known any too well but going mental all the same, the barman always very cool but even he was going mental, thought he might give us a few free ones after but he didnt. Anyway the funniest moment for me was we jumped up we were on those small table stools, and we went mental but knocked all the stools over my mate was going mental then once the euphoria was over and adrenalin wearing off he was holding his shin and saying he hurt himself, he had gone shin first into the stool and sent it across the room, huge gash on his shin but didnt even noticed till about 10 mins after because of pure elation. Couldnt stop laughing later that night cos it was more sore, but at the time all we were thinking about was holding onto the lead.

McAteer goal was watched by a 17yo me in Chasers, Ballyfermot. I remember jumping and screaming but it's all vague tbh. I still can't believe I got the day off from work given that half my dept had gone to Slane for U2 and the Ireland game was on.

I think the cider I consumed might have erased my memory somewhat.

Typical England to go and beat the Germans 5-1 on the same day and take the gloss off the news coverage.

osarusan
05/06/2014, 10:07 PM
I was at the abandoned Ireland v England match in...95? When Ireland scored, I remember some complete stranger and myself with our arms over each other's shoulders, jumping up and down. When we were down, we were almost in darkness, and when we were up, we could see row upon row of raised arms, clenched fists, and pretty frenzied faces.

But the best was my uncle's reaction to Houghton v England in Euro88. I just remember him down on the ground, almost like a Muslim at prayer, repeatedly banging his head off the ground. Fairly violently too.

Edit: not an Irish goal, but still one I remember clearly. On the day Limerick played Cork and needed a win to get into the Top 6 of the disastrous split in the LOI Premier Division, I had to go to school instead. I was thumbing a lift home, and managed to get a lift from some middle-aged woman. She had the radio on in the car. At one point she parked for a second to make a phone call from a phone box, and left me alone in the car with the radio. The sports news came on, and I found out that Limerick had, incredibly, got the win they needed. I went a bit mad in the car, shouting and punching the air, until I noticed the woman looking at me fairly strangely from the phone box. I'd say she was wondering what kind of lunatic she had picked up by mistake.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2014, 10:18 PM
Stapleton's equaliser in the 3-3 against Spain. The whole South Terrace went wild.

Houghton in Stuttgart.

Ibaraki.

Final whistle against Holland, but not the goal. That was just pure surprise, not least because I thought he skied it over for a fraction of a second.

DannyInvincible
05/06/2014, 11:56 PM
I was in the middle of my GCSEs in 2002 but managed to sneak out of the house from my revision for the day and into town to catch the Germany game. I recall whole tables (glasses and chairs included) turning in the jam-packed Bound for Boston at the top of Waterloo Street in Derry after Robbie scored. It was bedlam. These NSFW scenes followed the game as an impromptu celebratory gathering blocked off the bottom of Shipquay Street in the city centre: http://dermot.zenfolio.com/p1068774931/h3B9BEA1A#h3b9bea1a

I had an actual 3-hour exam on whilst the Saudi Arabia game was being played. It was a terribly nervy exam; all of us in the examination hall had to rely on the beeping horns out on the Buncrana Road to know we'd qualified from the group. Once we knew we'd qualified, the nerves soon passed.

Charlie Darwin
06/06/2014, 12:11 AM
I was in the middle of my GCSEs in 2002 but managed to sneak out of the house from my revision for the day and into town to catch the Germany game. I recall whole tables (glasses and chairs included) turning in the jam-packed Bound for Boston at the top of Waterloo Street in Derry after Robbie scored. It was bedlam. These NSFW scenes followed the game as an impromptu celebratory gathering blocked off the bottom of Shipquay Street in the city centre: http://dermot.zenfolio.com/p1068774931/h3B9BEA1A#h3b9bea1a

I had an actual 3-hour exam on whilst the Saudi Arabia game was being played. It was a terribly nervy exam; all of us in the examination hall had to rely on the beeping horns out on the Buncrana Road to know we'd qualified from the group. Once we knew we'd qualified, the nerves soon passed.
I didn't need to see you in such intimate attire, Danny.

gastric
06/06/2014, 12:37 AM
Houghton against Engerland in 88 (showing my age here). No one in Ireland even gave us a hope and after Ray's goal, we spent the rest of the game hoping England wouldn't equalise. I loved the excuses after the tournament by the English including the exhaustion felt by the English players after a long season - which were quickly shot down by Brady I believe on the BBC. It was really the first time too that masses of people started to go to pubs to watch games and the atmosphere was electric. I really believe too that Irish people started to feel more self-confident about being Irish after this, and in terms of uniting a nation, I can't think of another event that matched this.

tricky_colour
06/06/2014, 2:07 AM
Houghton goal for me, never seen my dad leap out of his chair before!!

I think he was on his feet before me!!

Which is quite an achievement for someone of his weight!!!

BonnieShels
06/06/2014, 6:16 AM
Had an almost mental reaction watching this.

Tis class...

COYBIG

http://vimeo.com/97447101

jbyrne
06/06/2014, 7:48 AM
not one of the usual shouts... matt holland goal v cameroon wc 2002. looked like our wc campaign was over as early as game 1 after a dreadful first half but hollands super strike is one of my favourate all time Irish goals. was right behind the goal and the fans went balistic

Stuttgart88
06/06/2014, 8:11 AM
Yep, I was right behind the goal too. It started off a fraction outside the post I think but drew back in. Quality.

I think gastric is right about the importance of that win in Stuttgart. WC90 and Mary Robinson took things further. Sadly, it morphed from a well earned feeling of growing confidence into a grandiose sense of national smugness and entitlement which I'm not sure the recession has fully got rid of yet.

DeLorean
06/06/2014, 8:39 AM
In a way Alan McLoughlin's was the most important of the lot. It was more relief than euphoria though I suppose but the consequences of that goal not being scored would have left a scar far greater than sacrificing any of the others. Can you imagine the scenes at the final whistle in Windsor Park had NI held on... doesn't bear thinking about!

DeLorean
06/06/2014, 8:41 AM
I didn't need to see you in such intimate attire, Danny.

You can't see much to be fair... must've been colder than usual for June!

DeLorean
06/06/2014, 9:12 AM
Participation in Brazil, Trap reinstated and Colm Murray reporting again, yet this almost feels real! Those Everton lads have a lot to answer for!

Ireland in Brazil 2014 (http://balls.ie/football/discover-ireland-got-on-at-the-world-cup/)

paul_oshea
06/06/2014, 9:44 AM

Where was he standing to get that photo?! Stutts you never mentioned you lived in Derry?

i'm sure that buck is a bit embarrassed to be up on a website now 12 years later.

pineapple stu
06/06/2014, 9:50 AM
Was on first aid duty in Lansdowne for the Holland game; patrolling the stands (and watching the match obviously). Usual hugging of strangers when McAteer scored; I was in the East stand, and my hat was knocked off and fell off into the terracing below. Had I been in the upper stand instead, that could have been quite a tricky one to explain! As it was, I was just about able to reach down and have it handed back to me.

DannyInvincible
06/06/2014, 9:54 AM
Where was he standing to get that photo?!

Pretty sure the photographer would have been up on the city walls. They offer quite the scenic view, as you can see...

paul_oshea
06/06/2014, 9:54 AM
DeLorean you should be sin binned already posted above :P

I am very envious of a lot of people who were just reaching adulthood in the 80s etc, not now obviously in one sense as i would be ancient but for so many reasons most of all ireland from 88-94 you had it all. I've completely missed the boat really as ill be mid to late 30s for any real hope of a world cup, and the options are sh1te!!!

I mentioned this on here before but a staunch GAA man neighbour was up in our house before that game against NI saying, ah when it comes down to it they will do us a favour, and i remember his son (my brothers age) rolling his eyes and saying to us they will not, not a chance! We watched the game in their house something we wouldn't normally do, i have this memory of him saying "will ye sit down and be quiet" but i dont know if it was during the game. Anyway when they scored the goal we all went mental including this man, who obviously more than anything is a patriot but he was jumping up and down and everyone in the living room was going mental, with the wife looking on all proud but laughing.

The spain game when robbie scored as I really thought we were on top at that stage, in a pub in Boston, gone now, the Irish Embassy was brilliant pints hats stools shoes everything went firing all over the place.

I was a bit young for the Romania game we were in Dublin and my father spent ages trying to get parking so we could watch the match, we arrived a bit late i think, and i was really small, thinking it was the burlington or something, and dad hadnt arrived so this man took me on his shoulders so i could see, he had a big curly head i remember holding on for dear life to his hair because of all the jumping he was doing, but he was very nice to do that and ensured i had the best seat in the house. THe strange thing is its very vague for me the actual shoot out and stuff, which is disappointing.

paul_oshea
06/06/2014, 10:08 AM
Pretty sure the photographer would have been up on the city walls. They offer quite the scenic view, as you can see...

D'oh ah ya!

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/06/2014, 11:50 AM
I remember being in Limerick when Ireland were playing Spain in the WC. I couldn't watch the match because the pubs were full.... too short so couldn't see..... pubs didn't have widescreen TV back then.......

I remember trying to buy Quake in Game. The guy behind the counter wouldn't let me buy it because I wasn't 15 yet. I effed him out of it.

It was a bad day.

Jovial Rambler
06/06/2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the photo. I know im in there somewhere. Watched the game in Sugar. But ended up in the BFB for the rest of the night. Of all Irelands important goals that one still remains the best for me! Although, I was behind the net when Mark Kennedy scored against Yugoslavia....a close second.

Crosby87
06/06/2014, 12:45 PM
Im officially blind after clicking on that link from danny. Now we know why stu moved to canada.

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/06/2014, 12:55 PM

He looks...... hung like a pony.

Mr A
06/06/2014, 1:20 PM
St Ledger's late goal against Italy a few years back. Was watching in a pub in Galway. Just went completely mental for several minutes jumping and roaring. Almost passed out and fell backwards, it seems I'd forgotten to breathe somewhere along the line.

Which would have been a blessing considering what followed.

ArdeeBhoy
06/06/2014, 10:24 PM
Stuttgart.

The auld fellas weeping, especially at the end, with a mixture of pride, astonishment and relief...

paul_oshea
06/06/2014, 10:58 PM
ya and all the German women after. I often wondered was there the same sorta craic after as there would be now with regard to different times back then and stuff...
I met a guy on the train down to post an from Berlin from sligo who spent most of his time in dublin but had moved to London cos of the recession.anyway he was on a out Italian 90 and 94.he met some Italian him and his mate and they all went off travelling together...It sounded like a funny old time, a funny old arrangement and something similar in USA. this buck was a youthful 50 something yr old.id say he did some damage in his time.

I.saw him a few days later I had arranged to meet him the night befoee. ...luckily for me I didn't he had a big black eye and bruised.those croats and poles that smashed up the cafe he was in it and got a few slaps.

Grafter
06/06/2014, 11:55 PM
Went fairly mental to Cascarino's headed winner in Lithuania and Houghton's header in Brussels.... both in 1997.... we were fairly starved of goals and forward play around that time...."the Mickey Evans/Jon Goodman era"!

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 5:24 AM
Went fairly mental to Cascarino's headed winner in Lithuania and Houghton's header in Brussels.... both in 1997.... we were fairly starved of goals and forward play around that time...."the Mickey Evans/Jon Goodman era"!

Remember that Lithuania game well. I went in to watch it and my mates all asked why, "it's only Lithuania".

It was then that I knew I had a BIG problem.

12 years later I joined foot.ie.

It was confirmed.

pineapple stu
07/06/2014, 8:52 AM
I was working in the ESB at the time of that Lithuania game; my first summer job. Everyone knocked off early to watch the game (working hours were 8 to 8; I think the game started at 7pm Irish time or something). My dad - who was reasonably senior in the ESB - picked me up after 8 and had the match on the car radio. Cas hit the post in the second half I think; I thought we'd scored from the commentary and said something like "Yes! 2-1!". Cue my dad asking how I knew what the score was. Oops...

the doc
07/06/2014, 9:42 AM
What a great thread this is,
Many happy memories as a young lad watching us in big games defy the odds.

One or two later too.

Cheered me up this thread, even more so than the model laying next to me in bed.

paul_oshea
07/06/2014, 9:54 AM
I thought you were going to say when ye popped up and scored against italy

Charlie Darwin
07/06/2014, 3:31 PM
What a great thread this is,
Many happy memories as a young lad watching us in big games defy the odds.

One or two later too.

Cheered me up this thread, even more so than the model laying next to me in bed.
I thought she dumped you by email?

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 3:56 PM
I thought she dumped you by email?

Was it not text?

Charlie Darwin
07/06/2014, 4:40 PM
Was it not text?
I can't remember, the doc will confirm I'm sure.

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 4:45 PM
I can't remember, the doc will confirm I'm sure.

I'm sure Paul or TOWK will know better.

back of the net
07/06/2014, 4:51 PM
St Ledger's late goal against Italy a few years back. Was watching in a pub in Galway. Just went completely mental for several minutes jumping and roaring. Almost passed out and fell backwards, it seems I'd forgotten to breathe somewhere along the line.

Which would have been a blessing considering what followed.

Same goal for me

I was about 8 rows directly behind the Italian goal which the ledge scored into

About 30 mins earlier Italy scored a goal which put them 2-1 up.....but unknowingly to me it was ruled offside as my head was in my hands.
However about a few seats over from me and my mates there was a group of 3 17/18 yr old irish lads who started cheering.....Regrettably I took this as a some smartarse irish lads were cheering cos the opposition scored against us in a MUST WIN game. I was fuming.....so I went over to them and told them that if they want to cheer for Italy then to F&&k off up to the Italian end.

The poor lads looked so confused at me as I went on my rant. As my rant ended ....one of them said "mate we're cheering cos it was ruled offside" to which I replied "What???". I looked at the scoreboard and saw it was still 1-1.
Apart from feeling like a grade A **** , I was very relieved - after the lads kindly accepted my very humble apologies, I went back to my seat as my mates looked very confused at me.

Fast forward to 86th min, Hunty who had come on and was causing all sorts of trouble to the Italians, was standing over the ball after Mcgeady won a free kick. As he stood over the ball , Croke Park roared with chants of IRELAND , IRELAND.....every fan was on their feet.
Hunty took the free kick sublimely into the Italian box.....from where I stood , I could see ledger had gotten away from his marker and then he did this forward dive at me ....his head hit the ball and it nestled into the Italian net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsdfQghqUo

I just remember ...pure elation..Croke park was literally shaking with ppl going crazy in the stands. After I went mental with my mates....I hopped up and my seat and managed to get over to the 3 young lads from earlier where I embraced all 3 of them and the 4 of us just celebrated like crazy together.

Ive been to the Holland game in 2001, I loved when Keane scored against Yugoslavia in 1999 in Lansdowne and france in paris in 2009 but for some reason that night in croke park and that goal and amazing atmosphere always gives me goose bumps

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 4:55 PM
Same goal for me

I was about 8 rows directly behind the Italian goal which the ledge scored into

About 30 mins earlier Italy scored a goal which put them 2-1 up.....but unknowingly to me it was ruled offside as my head was in my hands.
However about a few seats over from me and my mates there was a group of 3 17/18 yr old irish lads who started cheering.....Regrettably I took this as a some smartarse irish lads were cheering cos the opposition scored against us in a MUST WIN game. I was fuming.....so I went over to them and told them that if they want to cheer for Italy then to F&&k off up to the Italian end.

The poor lads looked so confused at me as I went on my rant. As my rant ended ....one of them said "mate we're cheering cos it was ruled offside" to which I replied "What???". I looked at the scoreboard and saw it was still 1-1.
Apart from feeling like a grade A **** , I was very relieved - after the lads kindly accepted my very humble apologies, I went back to my seat as my mates looked very confused at me.

Fast forward to 86th min, Hunty who had come on and was causing the Italians all sorts of trouble to the Italians, was standing over the ball after Mcgeady won a free kick. As he stood over the ball , Croke Park roared with chants of IRELAND , IRELAND.....every fan was on their feet.
Hunty took the free kick sublimely into the Italian box.....from where I stood , I could see ledger had gotten away from his marker and then he did this forward dive at me ....his head hit the ball and it nestled into the Italian net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsdfQghqUo

I just remember ...pure elation..Croke park was literally shaking with ppl going crazy in the stands. After I went mental with my mates....I hopped up and my seat and managed to get over to the 3 young lads from earlier where I embraced all 3 of them and the 4 of us just celebrated like crazy together.

Ive been to the Holland game in 2001, I loved when Keane scored against Yugoslavia in 1999 in Lansdowne and france in paris in 2009 but for some reason that night in croke park and that goal and amazing atmosphere always gives me goose bumps

That was one of the greatest Irish games ever. Stunning watch. Kennedy's goal was sublime.

back of the net
07/06/2014, 5:00 PM
That was one of the greatest Irish games ever. Stunning watch. Kennedy's goal was sublime.

Ah I remember the flares going off and just going crazy in the stands ...............what a brilliant game.

And it was played with some really good football by both sides.
That Yugoslavia side was an excellent side.
I believe im right in saying that after the game...the Yugoslav coach said something to the effect of "football won tonight" due to what a great game it was

But as great as kennedys goal was ....I loved quinns flicked header on to Robbie, whose sublime run on and half volleyed finish into the bottom corner.....BRILLIANT GOAL

For your viewing pleasure Bonnie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTERrBF2gRs

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 5:05 PM
Ah I remember the flares going off and just going crazy in the stands ...............what a brilliant game.

And it was played with some really good football by both sides.
That Yugoslavia side was an excellent side.

But as great as kennedys goal was ....I loved quinns flicked header on to Robbie, whose sublime run on and half volleyed finish into the bottom corner.....BRILLIANT GOAL

For your viewing pleasure Bonnie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTERrBF2gRs

I'd forgotten how good Robbie's goal was. They were some pair together.

Stankovic's goal was pretty special too.

I would love to watch that whole game again and see if it was as good as I remember it to be.

EDIT: No wonder it was a cracker. Collina was ref.

back of the net
07/06/2014, 5:08 PM

I would love to watch that whole game again and see if it was as good as I remember it to be.

I was 20 when I saw it ......I honestly believe it was as good as u remember it.
Remember it like it was yday

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 5:10 PM
I was 20 when I saw it ......I honestly believe it was as good as u remember it.
Remember it like it was yday

Jaysus. I was 15.

That was some qualifying campaign all-in-all. Some great results. But that Suker goal still sticks in the craw.

And the less said about Skopje the better. That was my most violent reaction to a goal against us ever.

back of the net
07/06/2014, 5:14 PM
Jaysus. I was 15.

That was some qualifying campaign all-in-all. Some great results. But that Suker goal still sticks in the craw.

And the less said about Skopje the better. That was my most violent reaction to a goal against us ever.

As great as we were in that campaign and as much as it kills me to say it - we threw that campaign away

That night in Macedonia in 1999 and Gilardinos goal that night in Croke Park - still haunt me!!!

BonnieShels
07/06/2014, 5:18 PM
As great as we were in that campaign and as much as it kills me to say it - we threw that campaign away

That night in Macedonia in 1999 and Gilardinos goal that night in Croke Park - still haunt me!!!

Yip. Both killers.

And yes we completely bottled that campaign.

That we could lose that night against Croatia and still be in with a shout at winning the group at the end speaks volumes as to how close us, Croatia and Yugoslavia were in quality.

paul_oshea
07/06/2014, 5:36 PM
It was text and then they revealed in twitter.

#properfam botnet

SkStu
07/06/2014, 8:34 PM

EDIT: No wonder it was a cracker. Collina was ref.

Was at that game too and it is always up there with the best games I've been too. It had everything and the atmosphere leaving the ground was electric. I said to my friend and brother leaving that night that the good times were back. We'd missed 96 & 98 at that stage. Brilliant game.

I think Keano v Germany has to take it though for sheer elation. As someone earlier said they were, I too was doing the maths about how we would progress, then bedlam. Spilled out of a pub in Blackrock and ran along Main Street.

back of the net
07/06/2014, 8:43 PM
Was at that game too and it is always up there with the best games I've been too. It had everything and the atmosphere leaving the ground was electric. I said to my friend and brother leaving that night that the good times were back. We'd missed 96 & 98 at that stage. Brilliant game.

Jesus what I would give to have those nights back at Lansdowne road...........its been way too long - heartbreaking

Think that's why the Italy game in croke park means so much to me - was the first time in along time we had such a big game and with such a special atmosphere