PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Horgan on the brink

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KeepersBall
02/06/2014, 1:27 PM
Strong rumours doing the rounds yesterday and today that if we lose at Pats tonight he will exit stage right.

Ezeikial
02/06/2014, 1:47 PM
I would be surprised if Robbie Horgan is in charge for the Cockhill Celtic cup game.

Darius to step up again?

White Horse
02/06/2014, 1:50 PM
Any chance of Cooke returning? The Board have a lot of questions to answer.

Drogheda fans I've spoken to are not happy with the way a so called "members club" is controlled by a clique of wealthy supporters. The views of ordinary fans are not welcome, apparently.

outspoken
02/06/2014, 2:23 PM
Darius in after tonight if things don't go their way apparently

Sam_Heggy
02/06/2014, 2:48 PM
Done Pats -1 tonight, was tempted to go -2.
If Horgans job is hanging on beating Pats then he may stick the fire on now, put his feet up and save himself the bother tonight.

Nesta99
02/06/2014, 6:43 PM
Something has to be done as at the moment they way that Drogheda are fading and Athlone now have a win on the board, Athlone have have a chase on and much to play for!

Longfordian
02/06/2014, 7:55 PM
Players doing a good job of ensuring he gets the sack tonight anyway. 4-0 down after 5 mins of second half.

WoodquayBoy
02/06/2014, 8:45 PM
Lost 6-0 - the free fall is something to behold. Giving Cooke the boot looks more and more silly by the week

Charlie Darwin
02/06/2014, 9:50 PM
Lost 6-0 - the free fall is something to behold. Giving Cooke the boot looks more and more silly by the week
Careful now, you'll have MiniMourinho and the other lad in telling us stories about waiting in Roddy's car again.

KeepersBall
02/06/2014, 10:10 PM
I am the other lad.
Roddy won't get the job at United Park as long as any of the current board are in situ, although there is strong word that the chairman may be about to fall on his sword.
Personally I'd like to see us go for somebody from left field, David Jeffrey the ex Linfield gaffer.
However the reality is we have no money so the bigger names may not want the gig.
Bringing Mick Cooke back would be the ideal solution in so far as he is well able to operate without a shoestring, or even a budget at all, and it would get the fans behind the team.
Darius Kearins would also be a good shout, but as far as I know he hasn't the pro licence, although that is not a insurmountable barrier.
By the way MiniMourhino has been conspicuous by his absence since a potentially libellous comment about Cooke a while back.

WoodquayBoy
02/06/2014, 10:10 PM
Couldn't have that now, could we

KeepersBall
02/06/2014, 11:08 PM
On Soccer Republic they have just shown Mick Cooke at Richmond sitting with Drogs director Dermot McKenna.
Interesting to say the least.

seand
03/06/2014, 12:17 AM
Kearns's record as manager at Drogheda and Dundalk makes Robbie Horgan look like Pep Guardiola

Dodge
03/06/2014, 1:00 AM
Worst team performance I've ever seen tonight. They were abysmal in every single way

KeepersBall
03/06/2014, 3:26 AM
Kearns's record as manager at Drogheda and Dundalk makes Robbie Horgan look like Pep Guardiola
Darius is a young manager learning his trade.
With both Louth sides he did what he was asked to so, he steadied the ship.
He has a very good under age record with the Drogs, and if he is still their 19s manager this coming season he'll show that.
One for the future admittedly, but the future could be right now, or their might not be a future for us in the top flight.

Acer
03/06/2014, 5:16 AM
He has a very good under age record with the Drogs, and if he is still their 19s manager this coming season he'll show that.
One for the future admittedly, but the future could be right now, or their might not be a future for us in the top flight.

We would get relegated with Darius in charge, just like we did last time he was at the helm. This calls for an experienced appointment. Horgan will go and has to go but only because it's easier to sack a manager than sack an entire squad. The players are the ones to blame and their level of performance has been nothing short of disgraceful.

MiniMourinho
03/06/2014, 6:28 AM
I am the other lad.
Roddy won't get the job at United Park as long as any of the current board are in situ, although there is strong word that the chairman may be about to fall on his sword.
Personally I'd like to see us go for somebody from left field, David Jeffrey the ex Linfield gaffer.
However the reality is we have no money so the bigger names may not want the gig.
Bringing Mick Cooke back would be the ideal solution in so far as he is well able to operate without a shoestring, or even a budget at all, and it would get the fans behind the team.
Darius Kearins would also be a good shout, but as far as I know he hasn't the pro licence, although that is not a insurmountable barrier.
By the way MiniMourhino has been conspicuous by his absence since a potentially libellous comment about Cooke a while back.

Ha ha! Like you I dont surface unless there is controversy!

Robbies time is up. It didnt work. But why would you replace him with the two other failed managers in 2014 in Mick Cooke and Roddy?

I see you have promoted Dermot McKenna from first-team player liason to Director of the football club too. Does Dermot know that?

Let silly season begin again!

White Horse
03/06/2014, 8:36 AM

Darius' points tally when he took charge of Dundalk was poor, seven points if I recall.

To be fair, the club was in meltdown at the time. Darius signed a lot of players on amateur terms, none of whom were any good.

We scrapped through a play-off because Waterford took their foot off the pedal in the first leg then they should have put the tie beyond reach.

I hope Drogheda are not in as bad of financial state as we were, though there were strong rumours last night of a massive projected deficit due to a collapse in gate receipts. Presumably, Horgan will be due a few quid if sacked.

dejadem
03/06/2014, 10:21 AM
I hope Drogheda are not in as bad of financial state as we were, though there were strong rumours last night of a massive projected deficit due to a collapse in gate receipts. Presumably, Horgan will be due a few quid if sacked.

Gates have been OK up to the Bohs / Limerick matches, attendances getting down to the small core, but it hard to see how they could go anywhere but further downhill now. With half the season left that's going to be a massive revenue gap.

Acer
03/06/2014, 10:51 AM
Gates have been OK up to the Bohs / Limerick matches, attendances getting down to the small core, but it hard to see how they could go anywhere but further downhill now. With half the season left that's going to be a massive revenue gap.

No it's not. The board budgeted for tiny gates (around the level of the Limerick crowd) based on last year's experiences. The better crowds that we have had for most of the year have been a bonus. This time, the problems are on the field.

KeepersBall
03/06/2014, 10:51 AM
Ha ha! Like you I dont surface unless there is controversy!

Robbies time is up. It didnt work. But why would you replace him with the two other failed managers in 2014 in Mick Cooke and Roddy?

I see you have promoted Dermot McKenna from first-team player liason to Director of the football club too. Does Dermot know that?

Let silly season begin again!

Silly season started when Cooke was sacked.
As for him and Roddy failing in 2014, there were financial circumstances that restrained Cooke at Athlone, and also when he was at the Drogs it took some time before he made an impact, so while I accept the results at Athlone were dire, my understanding is that performances were actually okay, at least that is what one of the players tells me.
As for Roddy the best that can be said about his time in Derry is that old Scottish legal term 'Not proven'.
Some fans were up in arms but again being very fair to him he hardly had time to get things straight before he was gone.
He has a proven track record of cajoling/ bullying whatever, but ultimately ensuring teams don't get relegated.
As for what I said about Dermot McKenna mea culpa, but if as you point out he is the liason officer on who's behalf was he liasing with Cooke.
Now there's a question.

bennocelt
03/06/2014, 11:05 AM
As for Roddy the best that can be said about his time in Derry is that old Scottish legal term 'Not proven'.
Some fans were up in arms but again being very fair to him he hardly had time to get things straight before he was gone.
He has a proven track record of cajoling/ bullying whatever, but ultimately ensuring teams don't get relegated.
As for what I said about Dermot McKenna mea culpa, but if as you point out he is the liason officer on who's behalf was he liasing with Cooke.
Now there's a question.

Youre not related to Roddy are you:confused:

MiniMourinho
03/06/2014, 11:22 AM
Silly season started when Cooke was sacked.
As for him and Roddy failing in 2014, there were financial circumstances that restrained Cooke at Athlone, and also when he was at the Drogs it took some time before he made an impact, so while I accept the results at Athlone were dire, my understanding is that performances were actually okay, at least that is what one of the players tells me.
Now there's a question.

Dermot and Mick are friends. They are allowed to sit together at a football match.

KeepersBall
03/06/2014, 11:56 AM
Of course they are and I hope they both enjoyed it.
Well on second thoughts I suspect neither of them did.

brendy_éire
03/06/2014, 12:50 PM

Barring some sort of arrangement, Davy Jeffrey won't manage a LoI club as he'd have to manage on Sundays. Besides, rumour has it he's being courted by UUP and DUP to enter politics.
Though I'm sure he'd relish the chance to have another go at the ungracious, big-headed, pathetic people of Cork (http://foot.ie/threads/60159-David-Jeffrey-has-lost-the-plot).

Charlie Darwin
03/06/2014, 12:55 PM
About time somebody put those hallions in their box.

jinxy lilywhite
03/06/2014, 7:26 PM
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This has been a record breaking season for the Drogs. They should give the man the job for life.

Nesta99
03/06/2014, 7:56 PM

Yup! Cause appointing a former Linfield manager worked out so well for Dundalk...I think Drogheda should follow the fine example set by such illustrious neighbours.

KeepersBall
03/06/2014, 9:01 PM
Well I am basing this on two things.
Jeffreys track record up there, and the hope that history could repeat itself.
Arguably the best manager we ever had was from the Irish League.
Jimmy McAlinden take a bow.
Back in the mid 70s the former Glenavon gaffer came down and brought players like Martin Donnelly, for me the best ever to wear the Drogs shirt, Brendan Tully, Ray McGuigan, George O'Halloran, Danny Treanor and Gerry Brammeld, to help form a side that finished runners up in the Cup in 1976 and the league a year later.
Mind you he also brought a goalie called Peter McCarron who didn't help too much.

Ezeikial
03/06/2014, 9:38 PM
Yup! Cause appointing a former Linfield manager worked out so well for Dundalk...I think Drogheda should follow the fine example set by such illustrious neighbours.

Crikey, thats a brilliant idea - Trevor Anderson for Drogheda!!!!!

Nesta99
03/06/2014, 9:43 PM
Trevor's track record wasnt too shabby up north either, and we hoped he'd bring some success and stars to Oriel (take a bow Baba Issaka). Jim McLoughlin did a decent job for us too in his days. Pity history doesn't repeat itself that often, otherwise i'd have taken a young welsh player manager hoping to see a Fox like team that unfortunately I never had the privilage to see play, seeking the elusive success of recent years.

Nesta99
03/06/2014, 9:45 PM
Crikey, thats a brilliant idea - Trevor Anderson for Drogheda!!!!!

Match made in Heaven!

Straightstory
04/06/2014, 7:52 AM
Drogs 4-1 victory over Dundalk on the opening day of the season seems incomprehensible now. Subsequent collapse is extraordinary. I'd brink Cooke back.

MiniMourinho
04/06/2014, 9:39 AM
Honestly, there is more chance of Roy Keane becoming a future Drogheda United manager than Mick Cooke.

KeepersBall
04/06/2014, 2:23 PM
Honestly, there is more chance of Roy Keane becoming a future Drogheda United manager than Mick Cooke. That's almost 100% accurate as long as the current board stays in place.
It does not mean it's right, just that the statement MM makes is accurate.
The board requested Horgan to step aside last night and he refused.
He stated he would if his contract was paid up in full and the club continued to pay for him to finish his Pro Licence.
As they cannot afford to do either of those things he's going nowhere unfortunately.
However there may be fresh developments tonight as there are rumours doing the rounds that some people with a few bob may have been persuaded to get involved.
If these rumours prove to be accurate it would see a new board in United Park as well.
And at that point do NOT rule out a Cooke return, or Roddy making an appearance either.
Now MM will probably come on here and deny all the above, but I have a well placed source who keeps me in the loop.

White Horse
04/06/2014, 2:27 PM
Why would Horgan step aside without a pay-off?

If there is money in the kitty, the club would have to think hard about whether it would be better spent sacking Horgan or recruiting a player or two.

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2014, 2:42 PM
How long is his contract for? A bit ridiculous of the club to think he'd just resign.

MiniMourinho
04/06/2014, 3:34 PM
That's almost 100% accurate as long as the current board stays in place.
It does not mean it's right, just that the statement MM makes is accurate.
The board requested Horgan to step aside last night and he refused.
He stated he would if his contract was paid up in full and the club continued to pay for him to finish his Pro Licence.
As they cannot afford to do either of those things he's going nowhere unfortunately.
However there may be fresh developments tonight as there are rumours doing the rounds that some people with a few bob may have been persuaded to get involved.
If these rumours prove to be accurate it would see a new board in United Park as well.
And at that point do NOT rule out a Cooke return, or Roddy making an appearance either.
Now MM will probably come on here and deny all the above, but I have a well placed source who keeps me in the loop.

I would love to see new people come in with money and thus a new board. However, i also know the current board will never hand over to anyone with alterior motives that do not put the club first. So i am unconcerned about that. Any new board or change also has to be run past and approved by the members club who own the club, as it is they who decide these things not the board.

Im confident that if a well meaning new board was identified, they would be adequately appraised of the past Mick Cooke situation (which we wont regurgitate again!), and therefore would not even consider it an option. Its a non-event for me. Roddy might get a look-in in that scenario, but not Mick Cooke. The past is the past.

The drogs stock has sunk since last year, but Micks stock hasnt exactly rallied based on his Athlone performance. Even if the past was forgotten, Im at a loss why Mick would be a sensible replacement.

I am extremely biased tough, of course.

Straightstory
05/06/2014, 8:08 AM
Whatever about the circumstances of his leaving the club and the Athlone slump, Cooke did incredibly well at Drogheda. To finish second in the league and reach several cup finals is pretty impressive considering the club's meagre resources. Mick leaving the cub has proved both disastrous for the team and him personally.
Since Horgan has obviously lost the dressing room and the board want him to resign, it's pretty 'bullish' of him to want to stay on. Must be an extremely uncomfortable situation for everybody.

KeepersBall
05/06/2014, 2:58 PM
I would love to see new people come in with money and thus a new board. However, i also know the current board will never hand over to anyone with alterior motives that do not put the club first. So i am unconcerned about that. Any new board or change also has to be run past and approved by the members club who own the club, as it is they who decide these things not the board.

Im confident that if a well meaning new board was identified, they would be adequately appraised of the past Mick Cooke situation (which we wont regurgitate again!), and therefore would not even consider it an option. Its a non-event for me. Roddy might get a look-in in that scenario, but not Mick Cooke. The past is the past.

The drogs stock has sunk since last year, but Micks stock hasnt exactly rallied based on his Athlone performance. Even if the past was forgotten, Im at a loss why Mick would be a sensible replacement.

I am extremely biased tough, of course.

They would of course be appraised of the boards version of events leading up to the Cooke sacking, but by this stage everybody apart from the board, accepts that version is a biased and inaccurate one.
And yes you are extremely biased.

KeepersBall
05/06/2014, 3:05 PM
Seems it is all the teams fault as it goes.
Robbies thoughts on Cockhill Celtic game from a Drogs press release.

“The major problem with the team at the moment is the concession of soft goals. We set ourselves up on Monday with a 4-1-4-1 formation to give ourselves protection but we knew that we would create opportunities. Everyone knew the jobs that they had to do and when you concede a goal after five minutes it certainly doesn’t help the situation. We did say that if Pat’s score early that nothing will change and we will keep our shape and discipline but that bit didn’t happen. We have had two rescheduled games put in as midweek fixtures which hasn’t helped us in any way but it is the manner of how we are getting beat rather than being beaten that is the most concerning aspect of all. Everyone needs to step up the plate now and be counted'.
Now please tell me WHERE in that are any thoughts on Cockhill Celtic.

Straightstory
05/06/2014, 3:17 PM
Everybody had to step up to the plate and be counted about ten games ago.

Mr A
05/06/2014, 3:18 PM
Fair enough points there. Manager's often reflect on their previous game in the preview of the next one. And if players aren't putting the effort in they should be called on it.

Our manager is very rarely happy with our players and there's not a word about it :)

Also maybe he couldn't say Cockhill without sniggering.

On an only very slightly related topic, I played for Cockhill against Muff while at school.

And I'm glad to say we humped them.

Acer
05/06/2014, 6:56 PM
Seems it is all the teams fault as it goes.
Now please tell me WHERE in that are any thoughts on Cockhill Celtic.

He's hardly throwing the team under the bus. I think he should be way more direct about how dire they have been.

And that's some ridiculous selective quoting from you. Here are his thoughts on the forthcoming game (the very next paragraph on from the one you quoted!) -

“I am relived that we can put the league to one side for the week but that doesn’t mean that we will be showing anything less than absolute respect for the FAI Cup. We are not in a position to underestimate any side at the moment and we know how good Cockhill Celtic can be. We will have to work hard for the win, as it will be like a Cup final for them. I know the manager and the goalkeeper have played for Finn Harps, and that they have a good record in the Ulster Senior League. We have our work cut out for ourselves but a positive result is a must.
“In a Cup competition, you are always looking for a home draw and we’ve got that. Certainly Cockhill Celtic could prove to be a banana skin for us but it is a knockout competition and anything can happen. It isn’t ideal to be playing a side that you aren’t entirely familiar with, I know what style of play they use but not enough as I would like on their personnel. Once we are professional and disciplined, we should have enough to progress.”
- See more at: http://droghedaunited.ie/fixtures/event.php?event=2014-06-06-drogheda-united-v-cockhill-celtic#sthash.rWYekFvt.dpuf

Also maybe he couldn't say Cockhill without sniggering.

On an only very slightly related topic, I played for Cockhill against Muff while at school.

And I'm glad to say we humped them.

Nonsense. I was at that game and Muff was on top for the whole 90 minutes.

White Horse
05/06/2014, 7:28 PM
“We will have to work hard for the win, as it will be like a Cup final for them."

I really hate it when managers come out with such condescending rubbish.

Acer
05/06/2014, 7:45 PM
I really hate it when managers come out with such condescending rubbish.

Yes, it's a really bad stock quote rolled out by managers in games like this. It's particularly bad in this case when it's like a cup final for us such is the importance of winning the game.

jinxy lilywhite
05/06/2014, 8:09 PM
Whatever about the circumstances of his leaving the club and the Athlone slump, Cooke did incredibly well at Drogheda. To finish second in the league and reach several cup finals is pretty impressive considering the club's meagre resources. Mick leaving the cub has proved both disastrous for the team and him personally.
Since Horgan has obviously lost the dressing room and the board want him to resign, it's pretty 'bullish' of him to want to stay on. Must be an extremely uncomfortable situation for everybody.

Personally speaking when I am at a party and not welcome I would wait until I was asked to leave. I would also get my contract paid in full to.

Why haven't clubs learned to put in performance criteria and minimum expectations in to contacts in they need to terminate

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2014, 8:14 PM
Personally speaking when I am at a party and not welcome I would wait until I was asked to leave. I would also get my contract paid in full to.

Why haven't clubs learned to put in performance criteria and minimum expectations in to contacts in they need to terminate
The more conditions you put in the more you have to raise the terms to balance it. You might get lucky and be able to cancel a contract early, but equally you might end up paying more than you needed to.

White Horse
09/06/2014, 7:38 PM
I see Eric Foley has left Drogheda United.

http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/post.php?s=2014-06-09-foley-released-by-drogheda

Mr A
09/06/2014, 8:02 PM
Is this a blow? (i.e is he any good?)