PDA

View Full Version : rip wave broadband

Pablo
01/11/2004, 2:23 PM
whats the deal with this? no landline needed at all? :confused: :confused:

Pablo
02/11/2004, 2:48 PM
ah come on! all the computer wizzards on here must know something!

Peadar
02/11/2004, 3:11 PM
all the computer wizzards on here must know something!

She's a witch and he's a wizard!

There's at least two instances of RIP in networking that I know of. One is simply the widely used Internet routing protocol.
Doubt that's what you're talking about since it's just a protocol and secondary to the actual broadband.
The other is Refractive Index Profiling which is used when determining the propagation properties in a fibre core or in an optical waveguide.
It essentially lets you know how effective a fibre cable is.
Really don't know how any of this applies to a toby home user looking for broadband. It's relevant to the companies laying the cable though.
If you want broadband without a fixed line you'll need to get in touch with a wireless broadband supplier.
Not familiar with the companies in Ireland but an example of such a company in the UK would be Netvigator (http://www.netvigator.co.uk/main.html).
Wave broadband is wireless though as it uses radio waves as opposed to cable. Perhaps it simply uses the protocol RIP instead of TCP/IP.

Pablo
02/11/2004, 3:27 PM
She's a witch and he's a wizard!

There's at least two instances of RIP in networking that I know of. One is simply the widely used Internet routing protocol.
Doubt that's what you're talking about since it's just a protocol and secondary to the actual broadband.
The other is Refractive Index Profiling which is used when determining the propagation properties in a fibre core or in an optical waveguide.
It essentially lets you know how effective a fibre cable is.
Really don't know how any of this applies to a toby home user looking for broadband. It's relevant to the companies laying the cable though.
If you want broadband without a fixed line you'll need to get in touch with a wireless broadband supplier.
Not familiar with the companies in Ireland but an example of such a company in the UK would be Netvigator (http://www.netvigator.co.uk/main.html).
Wave broadband is wireless though as it uses radio waves as opposed to cable. Perhaps it simply uses the protocol RIP instead of TCP/IP.

i just about know how to turn on my PC Peadar :D Here (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/ripwave.htm) is the bad boy i was thinking of getting

the ol 56k is a bit of a pain but i've heard bad things about eircom. i just dont know really :confused:

dahamsta
02/11/2004, 3:30 PM
Ripwave is a proprietary wireless product that apparently doesn't need LoS (Line of Sight) to operate. Since it's wireless, no, it doesn't need a landline.

adam

Pablo
02/11/2004, 3:35 PM
Ripwave is a proprietary wireless product that apparently doesn't need LoS (Line of Sight) to operate. Since it's wireless, no, it doesn't need a landline.

adam

i dont have a landline in my house so i was gonna get one in and then saw this.

amazing. it cant be as fast as a landline connection though can it?

Peadar
02/11/2004, 3:53 PM
amazing. it cant be as fast as a landline connection though can it?

They're offering Download speed of 512 Kbps and an upload speed 128 Kbps.
That's relatively fast for a home user doing the bare minimum.
I think eircom are offering something similar on their ADSL contracts but you could get 1Mb download speeds.
Irish Broadband don't mention montly download/upload quotas.
All I'll say anyone considering broadband is, ask about security.
You could leave yourself very exposed.

ccfcman
02/11/2004, 4:04 PM

adam

This being the same RIP that I was talking about before.

dahamsta
02/11/2004, 4:12 PM
amazing. it cant be as fast as a landline connection though can it?I'm not familiar with Ripwave, but wireless connections can run as fast as, or faster than DSL, depending on the technology used. A search for "Ripwave" on the Broadband forum on Boards.ie might be useful to you.

adam

dahamsta
02/11/2004, 4:14 PM
This being the same RIP that I was talking about before.Eh? Before when? Are you Peadar in disguise?

Pablo
02/11/2004, 4:15 PM
I'm not familiar with Ripwave, but wireless connections can run as fast as, or faster than DSL, depending on the technology used. A search for "Ripwave" on the Broadband forum on Boards.ie might be useful to you.

adam

nice wan Adam cheers

Peadar
02/11/2004, 4:41 PM
Are you Peadar in disguise?

I'm someone else in disguise! :D

Don't remember Ripwave being discussed before.
I like the sound of their product, Breeze 1MB Lite. (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm)

nice wan Adam

WAN
A pun and you didn't even know it Pablo. :D
I'm easily amused!

GavinZac
02/11/2004, 9:22 PM
WAN
A pun and you didn't even know it Pablo. :D
I'm easily amused!

ive just laughed at a computer joke that peadar laughed at too.
my transition from norrie to nerd is now complete :(

Peadar
03/11/2004, 7:39 AM
my transition from norrie to nerd is now complete :(

Your Welcome Kit is in the post.
Jam Jars and anorak included :D

Don Vito
03/11/2004, 7:43 AM
www.irishbroadband.ie

Peadar
03/11/2004, 7:48 AM
Irish Broadband

You might save yourself a lot of time and trouble if you read through the other posts before contributing. :rolleyes:

Macy
03/11/2004, 7:58 AM
I'm not familiar with Ripwave, but wireless connections can run as fast as, or faster than DSL, depending on the technology used. A search for "Ripwave" on the Broadband forum on Boards.ie might be useful to you.

adam
Must check that out. They're really pushing the Ripwave and Satellite broadband on the radio. Every ad break on Newstalk seems to have an ad for either one. Certainly the only broadband options I have, as eircom continually say there isn't demand in the village I'm in (despite it being raised by the community council :rolleyes: )

Don Vito
06/11/2004, 11:57 AM
Does anybody know if this service is any good? Seems to good to be true-€30 a month for broadband access. Says that it has "always on-unlimited usage".