PDA

View Full Version : new beginning for new season??

ihatejam
01/11/2004, 9:13 AM
I have heard thru a partially reliable source the other day that U.C.D are considering taking up full-time status for next season in order to attract top players to the club . Any views? I think it could be a great thing!

Bald Student
01/11/2004, 10:04 AM
It would definatley improve the teams performances and the club's status. My two concerns would be wheather a player could still combine training with study and of course money, can the club afford 20 or so full time wage packets.

pineapple stu
01/11/2004, 6:17 PM
Think that may turn out to be as reliable as your previous rumour! ;)

CollegeTillIDie
01/11/2004, 6:38 PM
As regards the original posting on this thread here's a brief history lesson.

Back in 1983, following our second application for re-election in 4 years, the Committee in its wisdom decided to bring in outsiders in a large grouping for the first time. Dermot Keely was appointed Player-manager and he signed 7 semi-professional players to add to the Student and graduate playing base at the club. Our results improved especially in terms of defence. We however scored fewer goals and also found ourselves rising up the table with diminishing crowds. Dermot Keely was transferred to Shamrock Rovers in November and we finished the season as Cup winners.
The semi-pro players were Alan O'Neill, Robbie Lawlor, Paddy Dunning, Robbie Gaffney and Frank Devlin.

The following season Frank Devlin left and was replaced by Donal Murphy who was only with us for a few months. We lost only 0-1 on aggregate to Everton in the Cup-Winners Cup which was a commendable result as they went on to win the Trophy and the English League Old First Division ( now called The Premiership).
Pierce Walsh , combative midfielder was signed in November 1984 and Eugene Davis joined us on loan from St. Patrick's Athletic in March 1985. We had been in second place mid-way through the season and finished fourth.
Our defence of the Cup ended at the Quarter-final stage at home to Athlone Town that season. Ken O'Doherty was transferred to Crystal Palace for a reputed £40,000 fee, in Febraury and Joe Hanrahan went to Manchester United at the end of the season.

In spite of the success on the field it was not matched by an increase in attendances off it. The experiment was abandoned due to cost.

Whatever policy is put in place will have to be funded by an increase in advertising revenue, Television revenue and a three-fourfold increase in gate receipts. That is the bottom line for the club. Basically if we don't have the dough there ain't gonna be that particular show.

P.S. Drogheda are linked already with Alan McNally and Pat Sullivan according to the EH . Tony Mc, Robbie Mc, Alan Mahon and Mick O'Donnell are also allegedly out of contract at the end of the season. We are going to need the four veterans if we are going to establish themselves in the Premier Division next season as they are experienced at this level after our previous stint in the top flight from 1995-2003.

Poor Student
01/11/2004, 7:41 PM
When we lost Delaney, Ryan and Robbie Doyle before last season I think it really hit us before we found our feet again just too late. We really need to hold onto the nucleus of the side. Our start next season is crucial. Where could we have been the last two seasons if we started like we finished? Either Tony Mac or Micko (can't remember) was saying before the Drogheda game in the paper that players were seeing that life after UCD has not been that great for some players and maybe current players are seeing it could be better to stay put where things are good.

Given the cutbacks in the college and Hugh Brady's general attitude isn't it highly unlikely the club would take this direction? After all couldn't the money be better spent on gold plated crockery for the presidential palace? The only other way would be for UCD to beforehand secure some very substantial outside investement which is unlikely given the lack of fans.

Why could we not attract fans in the 80's even when we won the cup and did well in the league? What was the average home support back then? What season was our peak support since we were admitted to the league?

Bald Student
01/11/2004, 8:18 PM
P.S. Drogheda are linked already with Alan McNally and Pat Sullivan according to the EH . Tony Mc, Robbie Mc, Alan Mahon and Mick O'Donnell are also allegedly out of contract at the end of the season.

I wouldn't be too worried. I think that any player who stayed with the club during the temporary divisional realignment will stay on. Even if one or two players leave for personal reasons I don't anticipate a mass exodus. The four players you mention as being out of contract have all been with the club for years, I don't see any of them leaving.

P.S. Do you mean the Evening Herald when you say the EH? If so I wouldn't put too much faith in the story.

CollegeTillIDie
01/11/2004, 9:27 PM
To answer all the questions raised in the most recent postings.
Yes EH = Evening Herald.

As regards crowds well one home game in December 1984 when we were in 2nd place in the League we had around 250 for one particular fixture.
Given we were within striking distance of the then League leaders and eventual champions Shamrock Rovers it was disappointing.
The reason for this was we were a counter-attacking side based on a strong defence which only scored 41 goals in a 30 match League program and conceded only 26, during 1984/85. Two seasons earlier we conceded 63 goals and people used to come to Belfield to see goals.... going into our net mostly.

I reckon if we were to go the professional route... we would need to average 1,500 per match next season with a lot of gates in excess of that especially for the Dublin and Bray Derbies and the jousts with Drogheda United.

Given that we only averaged 783 in our last Premier Campaign ... we have a lot of work to do.

Bald Student
02/11/2004, 9:04 AM
we would need to average 1,500 per match next season with a lot of gates in excess of that especially for the Dublin and Bray Derbies and the jousts with Drogheda United.

Forget that so. The ground barely holds more than 1500.

Aberdonian Stu
02/11/2004, 12:37 PM
Well it's actual realistic capacity is actually 2500 (I think that's what Shero told me last season) but that's with the Cascarino end open which we don't obviously have as an option so rough figure of 2000 would be more accurate.

Official capacity is one of the most varied and comical on record. A decade ago World Soccer reckoned it could take 10,000. That had to be based on some Irish source and heaven knows who told them that. With the hill it was realistically pushing 3,000 but reports were still hovering around the 4000-5000 mark.

Needless to say that with a couple of particularly rare examples (none of which have featured the College team itself since the eighties when Derry brought a big crowd and Celtic played a friendly) the 2000 would be plenty of room. The only time we came close to that was an Under 21 international a few years back when we had the Cascarino stand open and got 1900 in (which was still 600 short of probable capacity, incidentally 600 was also the horrifically inaccurate figure the BBC gave the game).

As to the main thrust of the thred dealing with professionalism unless Mr Abramovich has Irish intentions and likes teams that were blue and come from nation's capital I don't think we're going to change policy that much.

CollegeTillIDie
02/11/2004, 11:19 PM
Our record enumerated attendance was for a First Division game in December 1986 at home to Derry City. An all ticket affair, Derry returned 250 tickets out of 4,000. SO that made 3,750. And that was before the Bank was on the opposite side of the ground to the Main Stand.

Next highest crowd was in excess of 3,000 in October 1999, for a Premier Division fixture the Friday after the Doc's funeral the night when we tonked Shamrock Rovers 3-0. I would say that 3,000 is probably the current capacity of Belfield Park

Poor Student
03/11/2004, 10:02 PM
Why do you guys call it the Cascarino stand? Btw is it even legal to have fans standing on te grass bank? :confused:

Aberdonian Stu
04/11/2004, 10:43 AM
Cascarino stand refers to the missing seats just like Tony Cascarino has missing teeth.

The bank can no longer be used for any competitive fixtures hence the reduction in capacity but could be used for a friendly, although any friendlies we have would never require an increase in available capacity.

The Cascarino stand is no longer used as it is deemed unsafe in inclement weather and is therefore never open (there is a more detailed reason to it but that's the basic gist).

Poor Student
04/11/2004, 10:48 AM
Cascarino stand refers to the missing seats just like Tony Cascarino has missing teeth.

The bank can no longer be used for any competitive fixtures hence the reduction in capacity but could be used for a friendly, although any friendlies we have would never require an increase in available capacity.

The Cascarino stand is no longer used as it is deemed unsafe in inclement weather and is therefore never open (there is a more detailed reason to it but that's the basic gist).

Ah I get it. :D Why do they not fix up the Cascarino stand? Because we never reach capacity?

So technically those who stand behind the goals and the fence on the touchline with the dugouts are in breach of rules?

Schumi
04/11/2004, 11:03 AM
Why do they not fix up the Cascarino stand? Because we never reach capacity?
I think it's only this year that there was a problem with using the Cascarino stand and there was no real need for the extra seats in the first division. The problem is that the floor gets really slippy when it rains (as I can attest to from personal experience!). Apparently there are plans to create a concrete base so it can be reopened. I don't know when though.

So technically those who stand behind the goals and the fence on the touchline with the dugouts are in breach of rules?
No. Standing around the pitch is fine as it is in every other gorund in the country.

gufct
04/11/2004, 11:11 AM
with their grounds and the UEFA Licence.After last years debacle the FAI cant afford any fudges or derogations so it will make for an interesting off season.

I cant understand how there has been no mention of this anywhere but I suppose the infighting in Merrion Square has taken everybodies attention away from it. :mad:

Bald Student
04/11/2004, 11:31 AM
I agree with you about the licences. It's not only the teams coming up that don't have them though. I expect another fudge this year with teams having to submit a three to five year plan, thus putting off the decision for three to five years. A spanner would be thrown into all this if a first division team got the licence.

Aberdonian Stu
04/11/2004, 12:19 PM
I think the reason no-one has brought it up is because everyone expects a fudge and the Evening Herald are saving their shocked reaction for a slower news day.

pineapple stu
04/11/2004, 7:51 PM
Apparently there are plans to create a concrete base so it can be reopened. I don't know when though.

That's what they're saying anyway. A roof over it would be interesting - bring us a lot nearer 1500 covered seats. Get the Licencing first and then improve the stands.

On the grass bank - you can't stand on it any more, but you can stand on the tarmac around the fence.

CollegeTillIDie
04/11/2004, 9:30 PM
Well as regards the founding date show on screen here are some interesting points.

Yesterday was the 150th Anniversary of the Foundation of the Catholic University which eventually evolved into University College Dublin.

The name University College Dublin was first used in 1908 when the National University of Ireland , Dublin campus was formed and then NUI the incorporated the former Queen's COlleges at Cork and Galway.

The football team was founded at the Medical School of the Catholic University in November 1895 which is the direct ancestor of the current club.

Following the 1997 Universities Act, the official name of the club is now

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND -DUBLIN,
ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL CLUB. Easily the biggest club name in Europe. :ball:

UCD_4_Life
05/11/2004, 11:56 PM
Ha, I remember when the old Championship Managers had Belfield at 6,250 or something ridiculous like that. Football Manager '05 (CM under a different name) has us at 4,500 w/1,250 seated which is again way too much, probably.

I would guess that turning pro would cause huge problems for us financially unless we were to get some serious investment...or turn some masterstroke like implementing an expanded half time lottery ( :D ...I still whip out the programme for that particular Drogheda match whenever I need a laugh ). I assume it'd be at least two or three years before we saw any significant return at the gate even if we were relatively successful.

It also shows ambition, which is totally uncharacteristic for us.

Poor Student
06/11/2004, 11:38 AM
By the way, what's the story with the whole selling Belfield Park and moving to the Bowl story these days?

Bald Student
06/11/2004, 1:43 PM
Latest is thet Hugh Brady's wife has joined the debate and doesn't want a noisey soccer stadium beside her private tennis court and gym.

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2004, 2:47 PM
Good news.

Mrs Himmler doesn't want a noisy soccer stadium beside her gym and I don't think either the fans or the committee particularly want to move.
Why can't they build apartments on one of the crappy Owenstown pitches?

I mean they are shag all use as pitches anyway... and might by being located across the road from some of the existing flats and the shop, a better option all round.

Poor Student
06/11/2004, 3:42 PM
Latest is thet Hugh Brady's wife has joined the debate and doesn't want a noisey soccer stadium beside her private tennis court and gym.

I'd believe anything at this stage. But you're joking right?

Bald Student
08/11/2004, 9:03 PM
But you're joking right?

I cannot reveal the source of my information. Let's just say that it comes from someone close to the team and a family member of someone even closer to the team.

CollegeTillIDie
08/11/2004, 11:13 PM
Bald Student

Thanks for the info... pass on my Owenstown suggestion , especially the top pitch it is dire....

p.s. Noel King tipped us to win the Division on Eircom League Weekly tonight.
After they showed the goals from the Sligo game

Schumi
09/11/2004, 12:32 PM
Noel King tipped us to win the Division on Eircom League Weekly tonight.
I know, we're fcuked now! :(

CollegeTillIDie
10/11/2004, 7:16 PM
Schumi

Oh ye of little faith :cool:

ilovejam
10/11/2004, 7:22 PM
Apparently the plans for the Bondi Beach Niteclub to be demolished for appartments to go in place on that site have been abolished as the contractors have been brokering a deal with UCD officals(note not UCD AFC officials) to be allowed build on belfield park with huge investment...god knows whats gonna happen these days builders have a finger in every pie :rolleyes: :mad: :confused: :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
10/11/2004, 7:27 PM
Perhaps some of us should go to the Bowl to see a rugby game involving UCD in the AIL just to see how bad the alternative to Belfield Park actually is.

Come on the College Ruggers buggers

Schumi
11/11/2004, 12:48 PM
Schumi

Oh ye of little faith :cool:
You're the one hoping Harps win on Saturday!

CollegeTillIDie
11/11/2004, 10:06 PM
You're the one hoping Harps win on Saturday!

You are talking about the team referred affectionately in STIG as CHOKE right?... After tonight's result, our name must be on it.