Derry winning

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 7:16 PM
1-1 in Waterford now.

Edit - 2-1 Town. Davy O'Sullivan again

Mr A
23/05/2014, 7:22 PM
2-1 Longford now.

Meanwhile Harps, as usual, are down to ten men.

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 7:28 PM
We've hit the post and crossbar as well as scoring two apparently. Guaranteed we'll let in an equaliser.

patrickccfc
23/05/2014, 8:00 PM
Athlone are WINNING!!!!!!!!

Pablo Escobar
23/05/2014, 8:02 PM
They're 2 up now.

GCdfc
23/05/2014, 8:05 PM
Only for Rogers Dundalk would be winning 7 or 8 nil. He has made a lot of incredible saves.

Over 2600 attendance announced in oriel.

patrickccfc
23/05/2014, 8:08 PM
Only for Rogers Dundalk would be winning 7 or 8 nil. He has made a lot of incredible saves.
Dundalk certainly racking up the old goal difference

adamd164
23/05/2014, 8:09 PM
If Alan Cawley's on Soccer Republic this week expect the Dundalk pitch to get a mention!

Mr A
23/05/2014, 8:10 PM
Shels lead at Finn Park.

patrickccfc
23/05/2014, 8:22 PM
We've hit the post and crossbar as well as scoring two apparently. Guaranteed we'll let in an equaliser.
you called it, 2-2

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 8:24 PM
3-2 Longford in the RSC! WUFC equalised and Town retook the lead straight away. Etanda Nkololo for Town.

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 8:35 PM
Full Time 3-2. Get in. Vital win. Harps 1-1 v Shels now too. McHugh.

patrickccfc
23/05/2014, 8:38 PM
Another 3 points tonight so three wins in a row got to be happy with that

pineapple stu
23/05/2014, 8:42 PM
Had to happen sometime - and twas more likely to happen against us or Limerick or Drogheda than against Dundalk or Pat's - but that was a shocking second half in particular from us. Heads dropped and Athlone tore us apart for 15 minutes.

Big week for the bottom half. Drogheda in danger of entering freefall?

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 9:06 PM
Gwan the Harps. We're back to within two of Shels if we win our two games in hand.

trevy
23/05/2014, 9:20 PM
Some interesting results this evening with Athlone getting their first win and Limerick beating St Pats. Dundalk and Cork City maintain their fine starts to the season.
It sounded like a great game at RSC. Finn Harps did well to come back to get a draw v Shels with 10 men from first half.

White Horse
23/05/2014, 9:26 PM
That is the second game in a row where Dundalk should have scored double figures.

A mixture of gaping misses and miracle saves by Gary Rogers.

Dalymountrower
23/05/2014, 9:27 PM
Backs to the wall stuff for Bohs tonight,although we had the clearest chances off limited posession
Great Bohs support, smallest Rovers crowd I have seen over there.
As Wonder 88 might say" what a pity that the fine work being done by Trevor Crolly and his backroom team is not filling Tallaght stadium for that great club that I have no affiliation to"

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 9:48 PM
Cobh hammered again tonight. Must be getting very demoralising for their players.

legendz
23/05/2014, 9:52 PM
Congrats to Limerick, massive win! Cork roll on, Sligo stay adrift of the top 5 while Dundalk stay top and are 11 points better off than Sligo. Athlone get their first win.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2014, 9:55 PM
Backs to the wall stuff for Bohs tonight,although we had the clearest chances off limited posession
Great Bohs support, smallest Rovers crowd I have seen over there.
As Wonder 88 might say" what a pity that the fine work being done by Trevor Crolly and his backroom team is not filling Tallaght stadium for that great club that I have no affiliation to"
Couldn't see the east stand because I was in it obviously but the atmosphere was better than it's been all season. A lot of people are staying away this season unfortunately.

Brutal match all-round. Bohs looked the more likely to score all night, though how much of that was down to how easily the defence gets itself turned is debatable. Thought Croly was right to start with two strikers but Zayed was played out of the game by the Bohs defence and Croly needed to make a change sooner to exploit the space in midfield. Frustrating. On the plus side, we only lost ground on two teams, so that's something.

Sheridan
23/05/2014, 10:18 PM
Is the LOI the least predictable league in Europe (that isn't routinely fixed?)

PartySaint
23/05/2014, 10:29 PM
Is the LOI the least predictable league in Europe (that isn't routinely fixed?)

It is routinely fixed.

Sam_Heggy
23/05/2014, 10:38 PM
12 matches 5 red cards.
I know Sean Connor applied for the Harps job but, is he somehow Ollie Horgan in disguise??

Harps were woeful 1st half, finished the game much stronger and disappointed not to win it with Packie Mailey and Ruari Keating missing decent chances in the end.

1st Div is so bad it's going to be a very tight league. 2nd from top to 2nd from bottom is only divided by 4 points.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2014, 11:00 PM
Roy Keane at Bray-Cork tonight apparently? Michael D in Tallaght - bet he wishes he went to One Direction.

adamd164
23/05/2014, 11:14 PM
Roy goes to our games regularly enough..

pineapple stu
23/05/2014, 11:18 PM
That is the second game in a row where Dundalk should have scored double figures.
Is it just me, or is it rare to see an LoI team coming up to the European games on such a good run of form?

Thinking of past seasons when Derry or Rovers have been mid-table going into the Champions' League, for example.

Would be nice after last year's performances to get a team lasting a couple of rounds. Dundalk at the moment look like they could be a good bet for that. Was quite impressed with them in the Bowl as well.

Roy Keane at Bray-Cork tonight apparently?
https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p180x540/10365937_10154212227020574_2825216808864971537_n.j pg

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2014, 11:24 PM
Roy goes to our games regularly enough..
I suppose but I assumed just when he was in Cork, but I forgot that he was in Dublin anyway with the national team.

jinxy lilywhite
23/05/2014, 11:27 PM
Dundalk were awesome tonight. Sligo just couldn't live with us all day. As the lads said we could of got double figures only for the brilliance of Rodgers

Tough statement to make but this is the best dundalk team ever, well that I have ever seen and I have been following since 94. I was around for the 88 and 91 teams but very vague memories. Even though we have won nothing to date I honestly believe we are on the verge of having a very special team

ATFC-1887
23/05/2014, 11:32 PM
We're gonna win the league :cool:

Longfordian
23/05/2014, 11:33 PM
Dundalk were awesome tonight. Sligo just couldn't live with us all day. As the lads said we could of got double figures only for the brilliance of Rodgers

Tough statement to make but this is the best dundalk team ever, well that I have ever seen and I have been following since 94. I was around for the 88 and 91 teams but very vague memories. Even though we have won nothing to date I honestly believe we are on the verge of having a very special team

I realise I could look this up but I'm nothing if not lazy... What kind of crowds are ye getting? As in say for the likes of Bray at home how many would ye expect? Is there a lot of excitement around the town?

oriel
23/05/2014, 11:37 PM
It's certainly one of the best footballing sides, i saw our sides win titles in the late 70's to last one in 95 and i don't recall anything like the football this side is playing. Turning defence into attack and constant attacking seems to be tactic with this team, and this match really could have 5 or 6-0 tonight.

Really need to back it up with a trophy but whatever happens, this is some football on display. Still early days in terms of this season, plenty of twists could happen, but for now it's very positive.

jinxy lilywhite
23/05/2014, 11:38 PM
Tbh tonight announced 2600 which would be expected but we should be topping the 3k mark for the entertainment provided and the general happiness and feel good factor.
For a town or size and a town that hold the club to it's heart and the biggest number of band wagon jumpers per capita than anywhere else in the country we should be bringing in more.
Would love to know what cork are doing to get their gates. We could learn a thing or two

oriel
23/05/2014, 11:44 PM
Cork have a population over 4 times more than Dundalk, also it's not just money with so many games so close together it's time allocation. I can only speak for myself but I was updating 3 guys tonight and 3 others on Tuesday, all have kids, all find it hard to go to every game, it's just the way it goes. Besides I did well myself making two games in a row, even with having a ST.

nigel-harps1954
24/05/2014, 1:19 AM
Pretty entertaining second half in Finn Park tonight. First half was poor watching, and as said already, Harps 5th red card in 12 games, two against Shels now, is a pretty poor disciplinary record. Adriano Reale was dishing out cards tonight like his life depended on it however. Must have been 8 or 10 yellows and a red card in the game. Miracle that Shels had 11 players on the field at the end. No complaints about Harps red though, pretty poor challenge it has to be said.

Quietly confident that with Harps improving steadily each week, we'll start picking up some vital wins and possibly make a real charge at promotion this year.

SkStu
24/05/2014, 1:23 AM
Roy Keane at Bray-Cork tonight apparently? Michael D in Tallaght - bet he wishes he went to One Direction.

Michael D goes to quite a few Bohs games. Surprised he braved Tallaght - direct bus from Phoenix Park?

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2014, 1:48 AM
Michael D goes to quite a few Bohs games. Surprised he braved Tallaght - direct bus from Phoenix Park?
Mypost wasn't able to make it (8pm kick-off is completely impractical for a 9-5 worker) so he lent Michael D his spaceship.

sulywaterfordfc
24/05/2014, 2:45 AM
I thought it was a good game wouldn't go as far as saying "great game". Purely because it was a poor defence display from us. We just didn't turn up tonight, some players seemed to be very sloppy while on the ball others like OConnor whom is usually one of our top preformers wasn't really in the game. At times we looked looked like we didn't know how to pass the ball, heap of times players made a balls of a simple 10 yard pass seemed to panic while we had the ball at times.
Blues started with a very inexperienced defence including the keeper average age was 19, we lacked leadership at the back and i was surprised to see Kavanagh and Burns not start as Kavanagh is our best defender has experience also has a good partnership with Delaney. Burns been dropped from on goal has really surprised me considering in the 10 league games he's played he kept 6 clean sheets and he's second half performance in Galway prevented us from getting a hammering.

We were poor tonight deserved nothing from the game but longford arent anything special either. Our defence has been our best part of the team this year but tonight was the defences worst display of the season - very sloppy, any time defenders were on the ball they seemed nervous and very uncomfortable. Kavanagh came on at half time and steadied the ship at the back we then seemed to be comfortable.

Early on Waterford should of had a penalty when Vinny ran through and was clipped just inside the box. Longford went straight up and scored, goal finish from O Sullivan but he was giving way to much time and space. We scored through a clever ran from Doherty and i was surprised we equalised because we were playing so bad. Longfords second goal was again was a very good finish but O Sullivan was again given a lot of time and space to get he's shot off from the edge of the area. Longford went in 2-1 up at half time and we were lucky it wasn't a higher lead. Then again had the ref made the right decision for the penalty it wouldn't of seen Longford go a goal up so early. Despite the poor referring decision Longford deserved their lead. Half time Blues brought on Kavanagh and Willie Jon.
Second wasn't the best neither were playing particularly good football, Waterford tried on a number of occasions by the high pressure by the Longford players caused our players to boot it clear. We should of got it down on the ground as any time we did we caused a bit of trouble and put the longford defence under pressure but we didn't unfortunately and it wasn't done enough, which was annoying as possession is been wasted and the players are well capable of doing so. There weren't too many chances for either side in the second half. Drohan for Waterford had the worst shot of the game when he hit a volley on the edge of the box about 25 yards wide. Drohan isn't up the LOI standard puts his all into every game but he's a winger and he's final ball is awful and he's very limited with what he can do. Strangely Doherty was taken off and an Drohan stayed on the pitch as Doherty was probably our biggest threat. We were unlucky not to make it 2-2 midway through the second half when Speedys shot from outside the area hit the cross bar then think it was O Connor eent for the rebounder to early.Before the equaliser the Longford keeper kicked the ball at Doherty while he stood outside the box with he's back turned and the ref booked Doherty and gave a free out, as a result Waterford got the ball won a free out wide where it was crossed for Willie Jon to equalise. I question as to why the free was given. We pushed for a winner after the equaliser unfortunately didn't get take our chances and couldn't beat the first man with a few crosses with had. But my word what a goal to win the game Nikolouo (Whatever it's spelt) but again he was giving time and space like the previous two goals to get he's shot away and while under no pressure curled the ball from 30 yards out, from out wide into the top corner.

Though we had nicked a point an all. Ah well.

Playing 4-5-1 at home, leaving experienced defender whom is the teams best on the bench, burns having had a good season surprised he didn't start either. Willie Jon Kiely is the teams best goalscorer yet we play Vinny Sullivan up on hes own. Not sure management know their best team which is a factor in our inconsistency.

Good atmosphere, Longford fans weren't too noisy, quite for a lot of the game also expected few more down.

Overall we simply didn't play as well as we can do and didn't deserve anything from the game. Going into the game i expected us to play a lot better as we've played good ball passed few games and last time in Longford we were very comfortable on the ball and the defence dealt with anything put to them.

Next up is Cobh at home followed by Shamrock Rovers B away. Massive games six points needed to stay in with a shout for the play offs.

Personal I see the top three been Shels Galway and Longford. We're simply not consistent enough nor are we scoring many so I'd be surprised to see our very young team in the top three come the end the season.

Seen somewhere attendance was 525. Isn't bad considering we've only won two games at home in the league.

bennocelt
24/05/2014, 5:40 AM
Mypost wasn't able to make it (8pm kick-off is completely impractical for a 9-5 worker) so he lent Michael D his spaceship.

Havent seen him on here in a while, is he on a sabbatical?

legendz
24/05/2014, 8:45 AM
Is it just me, or is it rare to see an LoI team coming up to the European games on such a good run of form?

Thinking of past seasons when Derry or Rovers have been mid-table going into the Champions' League, for example.As a neutral, I'd like to see Pat's in form going into Europe. If they can get through the first round, they'll be in the territory of at least a EL play-off spot. For the hurdles facing Dundalk to make the same stage, they will need to be in good form.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
24/05/2014, 10:52 AM
Dundalk were brilliant last night. Best performance I've seen in the league in years.

Nesta99
24/05/2014, 11:19 AM
and not one mention of the pitch...fair play!

Ezeikial
24/05/2014, 12:50 PM
Dundalk were brilliant last night. Best performance I've seen in the league in years.

It is generous of you to acknowledge the performance

The last 3 home games (Cork 4-0, Drogheda 7-0, Sligo 3-0) have had a powerful consistency to them that has seen the opposition get completely
swept away. The extent of the domination has meant that Cherrie had few, if any, shots to deal with over these 3 matches, while at the other end the 14 goals scored should easily have been 20+

While pundits have commented negatively on the respective performances of Cork, Drogheda and Sligo, I suspect that in each match it was simply a case of not being allowed to play.

If Dundalk can maintain something near this current level of performance, there is a real prospect of winning major honours this season

White Horse
24/05/2014, 12:59 PM
It is generous of you to acknowledge the performance

The last 3 home games (Cork 4-0, Drogheda 7-0, Sligo 3-0) have had a powerful consistency to them that has seen the opposition get completely
swept away. The extent of the domination has meant that Cherrie had few, if any, shots to deal with over these 3 matches, while at the other end the 14 goals scored should easily have been 20+

While pundits have commented negatively on the respective performances of Cork, Drogheda and Sligo, I suspect that in each match it was simply a case of not being allowed to play.

If Dundalk can maintain something near this current level of performance, there is a real prospect of winning major honours this season

The biggest difference between this season and last season is that Dundalk are beginning to create a fortress in Oriel Park. We lost the league last season on our home form.

While no conclusions can be drawn from beating Drogheda, Sligo are a different animal, they are a good outfit. They were swept aside with ease last night.

redobit
24/05/2014, 2:33 PM
The biggest difference between this season and last season is that Dundalk are beginning to create a fortress in Oriel Park. We lost the league last season on our home form.

While no conclusions can be drawn from beating Drogheda, Sligo are a different animal, they are a good outfit. They were swept aside with ease last night.

Wasn't at the game meself but from radio and other accounts Dundalk were top drawer. They seem to have that hunger to win games at the moment.

From our point of view we may have given ye a better game of it if we hadn't Alan Keane, Joseph Ndo, Raffaele Cretaro and Kieran Djilali out injured and a fully fit Conneely. Always thought we were playing for Europe anyway this season so nothing has changed too much for us after last nite.

Hopefully we can get our injured players back for the Cup game in Oriel in a couple of weeks. It's one all in results in recent games and we should be up for it after last nights defeat. Should be an interesting game.

jinxy lilywhite
24/05/2014, 2:54 PM
2-1 do you not mean lol

All joking aside we would of swept away any team last night irregardless of who's out injured or otherwise. We were like a juggernaut.

Next up bohs, can't wait

Ezeikial
24/05/2014, 3:01 PM
From our point of view we may have given ye a better game of it if we hadn't Alan Keane, Joseph Ndo, Raffaele Cretaro and Kieran Djilali out injured and a fully fit Conneely.

Sligo were certainly without a good few players - although it is doubtful if all 5 you mention above would play in a first choice team. That said, there was plenty of quality in the Sligo team, but very few of them were able to get any rhythm going.

Seamus Connelly came in as a 2nd half sub with Henderson moving to partner Spillane, who looked very vulnerable all night.

Hopefully we can get our injured players back for the Cup game in Oriel in a couple of weeks. It's one all in results in recent games and we should be up for it after last nights defeat. Should be an interesting game.

1-1 if you count only the last two games.
2-1 this season
5-0 on league games over the last 2 seasons

I look forward to the cup game and agree that it should be an interesting and probably closer affair