PDA

View Full Version : Hull Irish in FA Cup final.

tricky_colour
17/05/2014, 4:13 PM
2:0 up!!

Meyler and Quinn playing McShane on the bench.
No Brady.

TrapAPony
17/05/2014, 5:24 PM
Paul McShane coming on for Alex Bruce - 66 mins

Meyler booked - 69mins for foul on Koscielny who scores equaliser on 71mins

Quinn subbed off 74 mins

tricky_colour
17/05/2014, 5:29 PM
Nearly gave a goal away.

2-2

bennocelt
17/05/2014, 6:38 PM
Didnt think Meyler or Quinn were that good tbh, but when Mcshane came on.....jesus:p

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/05/2014, 6:52 PM
Didnt think Meyler or Quinn were that good tbh, but when Mcshane came on.....jesus:p

I think Quinn was pretty good. He was involved in both goals and was calm on the ball. He did make one mistake when it was 2-1 but that didn't lead to anything. Was McShane really that bad or is it just his reputation?

geysir
17/05/2014, 7:00 PM
Don't mind Benno, it's just his way to make himself feel smart.
As winning this cup seems such a big deal in England, kudos to the Irish players who played their part in a gutsy Hull performance against much more illustrious opponents. Well done to McShane in particular, in just about his first game back from serious injury to fill in when called upon in such a profile game.

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/05/2014, 7:06 PM
Don't mind Benno, it's just his way to make himself feel smart.
As winning this cup seems such a big deal in England, kudos to the Irish players who played their part in a gutsy Hull performance against much more illustrious opponents. Well done to McShane in particular, in just about his first game back from serious injury to fill in when called upon in such a profile game.

Just out of interest, do you ever read your own posts?

Build a bridge, geysir, and stop whining. I literally have no idea what I did to **** you off so much.

bennocelt
17/05/2014, 8:56 PM
Eh, mmmm?:confused:
Yeah he set up the first goal, but Hull offered nothing in the second half. Bit like Wigan in the semi finals. I mean that arsenal defence collapses pretty easy if pressured, but yeah I accept Hull are a pretty limited team and did as good as expected. Enjoyable game though.
As Dixon mentioned that Wenger doesnt do much tactical stuff if any, which is obvious anyway, I am curious what exactly are his set skills as a manager?

OwlsFan
17/05/2014, 9:46 PM
One of McShane's main faults is he dives in too much in an eagerness to win the ball and is left chasing shadows. I love his 100% commitment but sometimes he just needs to stand off.

geysir
17/05/2014, 10:00 PM
Just out of interest, do you ever read your own posts?

Build a bridge, geysir, and stop whining. I literally have no idea what I did to **** you off so much.
Even when it's not about you, you think it's about you.

bennocelt
17/05/2014, 10:18 PM
Even when it's not about you, you think it's about you.

So you are onto me now! :)

RiffRaff
17/05/2014, 11:59 PM
Is it just me or is Meyler a lazy bugger?? I've thought that before while watching him but he doesn't seem to work that hard or stretch himself for a pass that's overhit. I thought He did ok, Quinn looked good at times, McShane was an accident waiting to happen. Alex Bruce had a great game and Curtis Davies, if there was anyway we could get him, would be a huge asset

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 3:20 PM
Is it just me or is Meyler a lazy bugger?? I've thought that before while watching him but he doesn't seem to work that hard or stretch himself for a pass that's overhit.
He's the multiple record holder for most distance run in a Premier League game.

Crosby87
18/05/2014, 4:36 PM
This is hull of a thread chaps.
Are any of you fine gents coming to ny to watch them play? There is an irish guy doing mice and men on broadway you could see. And one guess if he is playing lenny or george.

tricky_colour
18/05/2014, 6:01 PM
Is it just me or is Meyler a lazy bugger?? I've thought that before while watching him but he doesn't seem to work that hard or stretch himself for a pass that's overhit. I thought He did ok, Quinn looked good at times, McShane was an accident waiting to happen. Alex Bruce had a great game and Curtis Davies, if there was anyway we could get him, would be a huge asset

He does seem to conserve his energy well. I have not really seen that much of him though
He seem to be rather efficient in his play. He is 6'2 though

Stuttgart88
18/05/2014, 8:41 PM
I don't see laziness in Meyler. He is very diligent off the ball and covers a lot of ground. On the ball he does the basics quite well (and is no mean finisher) but only rarely does more than the nuts and bolts, though I think he has more in his locker. It may or may not come. I thought he was lucky to escape giving away a penalty yesterday. It wasn't a serious foul but it was in the box and a bit thoughtless. Lazy in thought, I'd concede.

Calling McShane an accident waiting to happen is a tired cliche. Judge him on the here and now, and ideally when he hasn't just taken to the pitch for the first time in months.

Quinn showed enough good things to show he has a chance of being a useful player for MON, even if only as a sub. If we were to rule out any player who makes a careless pass we'd have nobody to choose from. He has a real chance of being the big winner of the upcoming friendlies.

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2014, 9:55 PM
Agreed about McShane Stutts, but be amazed if he's suddenly improved, though in many ways wish he could...

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 10:11 PM
Agreed about McShane Stutts, but be amazed if he's suddenly improved, though in many ways wish he could...
McShane has improved though - he's just been chronically injured. Steve Bruce knows a bit about limited defenders who show their quality in spite of their flaws and he's a fan. He's no Vincent Kompany but he's a good player at the level he's playing at. The slower tempo of international football probably suits him.

tricky_colour
18/05/2014, 10:17 PM
This is hull of a thread chaps.
Are any of you fine gents coming to ny to watch them play? There is an irish guy doing mice and men on broadway you could see. And one guess if he is playing lenny or george.

It's an Arsenal of a thread.

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2014, 10:31 PM
McShane has improved though - he's just been chronically injured. Steve Bruce knows a bit about limited defenders who show their quality in spite of their flaws and he's a fan. He's no Vincent Kompany but he's a good player at the level he's playing at. The slower tempo of international football probably suits him.
Don't disagree with the logic, but the reality is somewhat different, to date.

tricky_colour
18/05/2014, 10:37 PM
Just been watching a bit of him he seem pretty cool headed.
His good position helped win the ball and then he cleverly got past an Arsenal
player (unbalanced him). He could perhaps have had a shot on goal or attempted to run into the
box, instead he made a poor sideways/backwards pass, which was intercepted.

That kind of sums him up in a way, over cautions, bit negative not wanting to get involved.

This was shortly after Quinn lost the ball by being overly optimistic, his team mates were
pointing to the keeper, now Meyler would definitely have passed to the keeper, probably
before his team mates pointed.

So maybe one overly cautions/pesimistic and over the opposite overly optimistic and reckless.
If they had a baby together it would be the perfect player :)

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 10:48 PM
Don't disagree with the logic, but the reality is somewhat different, to date.
How often have you seen him play in his natural position? He's a good centre half, a pretty average full back. When fully fit and playing with confidence, he's more than good enough to play for us.

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2014, 11:05 PM
Ha, tricky

As for PMcS, looks average at best. Know he's a trier, but probably because his Irish teammates are a little more mediocre, looks better for Hull than he ever does for Ireland...
:(

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 11:20 PM
You really think he plays with better players for Ireland than Hull?

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2014, 11:26 PM
No. Said his Irish teammates are more average...

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2014, 11:29 PM
You mean he looks better for Hull because his teammates aren't as bad as for Ireland?

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2014, 11:30 PM
No, re-read #23.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 12:25 AM
I read it but I'm unclear on what you meant. Do you think McShane looks better because he's playing alongside better players at Hull, or do you think he looks better playing alongside worse players?

Crosby87
19/05/2014, 12:34 AM
He looks worse playing alongside better players.

ArdeeBhoy
19/05/2014, 1:06 AM
He looks worse playing for Ireland, as the players aren't as good, FFS...

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 1:11 AM
You could have just answered the question when I asked it instead of dragging it on for half a page.

ArdeeBhoy
19/05/2014, 1:18 AM
Or not wilfully mis-read it...

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 1:31 AM
I wasn't wilfully misreading, I thought I had misunderstood you so I asked you to clarify. I won't bother in future, so don't worry.

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2014, 3:11 AM
He looks worse playing for Ireland, as the players aren't as good, FFS...

Do you mean the Ireland players aren't as good as the Hull players ?

Supreme feet
19/05/2014, 10:39 AM
Of that Hull team, I'd only take Curtis Davies and one from Livermore/Huddlestone for the Irish starting XI. Maybe Jelavic too, on 2012 form, and Figueroa given our left-back woes. Long and Brady are, when fit, among Hull's most important/effective players. Players like Bruce, Perch, Rosenior, Elmohamedy, etc, are no better than what we have. I think it's a big statement to say that McShane is taking a step down in quality of team-mates when on international duty.

I'm sure Steve Bruce would be delighted to have the likes of O'Shea, Wilson, Gibson, McCarthy, Coleman, Hoolahan, McGeady and Keane at his disposal.

tricky_colour
19/05/2014, 11:17 AM
He looks worse playing alongside better players.

What worse than normal or worse in comparison?

Fixer82
19/05/2014, 1:23 PM
I think it's a big statement to say that McShane is taking a step down in quality of team-mates when on international duty.

A step down in their personality quality or their playing quality?

TheOneWhoKnocks
22/05/2014, 8:16 PM
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/martin-oneill-ireland-summer-turkey-meyler-1479114-May2014/

Meyler was carrying an injury which may go some way to explaining why his cup final performance didn't reach his usual gargantuan standards.