PDA

View Full Version : Eamonn Sweeney article on LOI

longfordjames
11/05/2014, 12:19 PM
Great article about the league from Eamonn Sweeney in the SINDO today. I can't find it online maybe someone else can but its a great piece well worth a read.

redarmyfaction
11/05/2014, 1:35 PM
Does anybody ever see him in the Showgs anymore?

Bosco
11/05/2014, 1:45 PM
Good article alright.

Like the bit at the end where he differentiates from the usual Loi fan's habit of attacking people for not going to games and just points out that it's enjoyable and to give it a go.

Decent print space swell, nearly the whole back page on the last day of the premiership.

Stuttgart88
11/05/2014, 1:54 PM
Is there a link? I've looked online and couldn't find it.

Djm1901
11/05/2014, 2:42 PM
Pleasantly surprised by the amount of coverage the LOI got considering what day it is. There was even this anti barstooler piece

http://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/full-kit-devotees-are-letting-side-down-30263062.html

KeepersBall
11/05/2014, 3:17 PM
Not up yet, but keep an eye on www.unison.ie (http://www.unison.ie) tomorrow, his stuff is generally on there then, put his name in the search engine.

patsdad
11/05/2014, 4:10 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/flair-worth-coming-out-for-30263126.html

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/05/2014, 4:34 PM
Fahey was useless in The Showgrounds!

sligoman
11/05/2014, 4:50 PM
Does anybody ever see him in the Showgs anymore?He claims to have been there for the Pat's game but judging by his comments on how good Fahey and Forrester were in that game he must have ended up at a different ground.

poster
11/05/2014, 5:50 PM
Good article alright.

His bit about Lynch going to England is baffling.

As Sligoman said, Fahey was muck against us. I think Sweeney only sees us once or twice a year going by some of the stuff he writes about us.

oriel
11/05/2014, 6:13 PM
Pats are a good side, very solid and were worthy champions last season. Not so sure I'd agree with his comment on the most entertaining side in 40 years!

I'd say the Rovers four in a row mid 80's, may have something to say about that. Liam O'Brien, Jacko McDonagh were just two superb players from those sides. Derry treble winning 89 weren't too bad either.

Still a very good article mind.

Stuttgart88
12/05/2014, 10:46 AM
Sweeney writes:

"Pat's complex and dazzling football is currently attracting a paltry average of around 1,500 fans a week. In reality, they should be seen by everyone."

I was back in Ireland from the UK for Easter and although I'd have gone to my boyhood team, Shamrock Rovers, if they had been at home I went to Richmond to see Pats beat Bohs 3-1.

The main stand was virtually full. The away end probably had a couple of hundred Bohs fans, probably about two-thirds of that end's capacity. There was room for a few hundred more at the seated end behind the goal and there's not much seating or standing space opposite the main stand.

What is the maximum capacity of Richmond? I can't imagine it's much more than 2,500.

avvenalaf
12/05/2014, 1:04 PM
He's entitled to his opinion but the bilge about Lynch and Gaynor is just that. Lynch was in England, came home and we let him off as he just does not have the physique to cut it. he'll get injured shortly and be out for 6/8 weeks. As for Gaynor, he's a bloody good footballer but you would never mistake him for Messi.

PartySaint
12/05/2014, 1:08 PM
What is the maximum capacity of Richmond? I can't imagine it's much more than 2,500.

It's down as 5,500. The main stand holds 1,800 and the stand behind the goal another 1,000.

If there was 5,500 in Richmond you wouldn't be able to move.

bennocelt
12/05/2014, 1:19 PM
As much as I love the LOI, and enjoy reading Sweeneys articles I dont think there is much quality on show in Ireland. I dont think K Brennan would even be able to get on an english div two team tbh.

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2014, 1:33 PM
Outside of maybe 5 or 6 top players, I think the League of Ireland is currently at it's lowest standard in quite some time. The difference though between now, and say, 15 years ago, is the standard of coaching and professionalism has risen, so more football is being dragged out of lower standard players. Papering over the cracks as such.

Stuttgart88
12/05/2014, 1:51 PM
I can't comment but the league itself is developing into a very exciting contest this season and that has to be good. Ateendances, at least for the better premier division teams, appear decent enough too.

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 2:44 PM
He's entitled to his opinion but the bilge about Lynch and Gaynor is just that. Lynch was in England, came home and we let him off as he just does not have the physique to cut it. he'll get injured shortly and be out for 6/8 weeks. As for Gaynor, he's a bloody good footballer but you would never mistake him for Messi.
To be fair, he said Lynch has the talent to make it in England (the next Coleman stuff is over the top) and he's right on talent alone, but he doesn't have the physique to match.

It's down as 5,500. The main stand holds 1,800 and the stand behind the goal another 1,000.

If there was 5,500 in Richmond you wouldn't be able to move.
If there was 5,500 in Richmond there'd be a fire. You could probably pack 400 safely in the Shed, pack a few extra in the main stand and open the Camac side, which I think is safe to open? A bit over 3,000 with everywhere open you'd say.

As much as I love the LOI, and enjoy reading Sweeneys articles I dont think there is much quality on show in Ireland. I dont think K Brennan would even be able to get on an english div two team tbh.
Killian Brennan can't get into his own team. He's a lazy ****er with bags of talent. His brother is a better player and eight years younger. The league is producing better players talent-wise than ten years ago but they're not being paid professional wages so they're not as physically developed.

PartySaint
12/05/2014, 3:53 PM
To be fair, he said Lynch has the talent to make it in England (the next Coleman stuff is over the top) and he's right on talent alone, but he doesn't have the physique to match.

If there was 5,500 in Richmond there'd be a fire. You could probably pack 400 safely in the Shed, pack a few extra in the main stand and open the Camac side, which I think is safe to open? A bit over 3,000 with everywhere open you'd say.

Killian Brennan can't get into his own team. He's a lazy ****er with bags of talent. His brother is a better player and eight years younger. The league is producing better players talent-wise than ten years ago but they're not being paid professional wages so they're not as physically developed.

Ah you can get a lot more than 400 into the shed and it still to be safe, the camac is open all the time yes.

Brennan is class, the lazy comment is ridiculous, if you have a manager stupid enough to play him left back that's the managers fault not Brennans, winning PFAI player of the year last year showed that he's anything but lazy and he could definitely do a job in League 2 in England and probably do well in League 1 as well.

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 4:03 PM
Ah you can get a lot more than 400 into the shed and it still to be safe, the camac is open all the time yes.

Brennan is class, the lazy comment is ridiculous, if you have a manager stupid enough to play him left back that's the managers fault not Brennans, winning PFAI player of the year last year showed that he's anything but lazy and he could definitely do a job in League 2 in England and probably do well in League 1 as well.
If that were true he'd have done it by now. He's been on countless trials in England and Scotland and even his former manager wouldn't take a chance on him at a rotten SPL club. He had a great season last year and it goes to show how talented he is that he can coast his way to the top award, but his current position on the Pats bench is ideal for him as it means he usually doesn't have to play the first 70 minutes.

Sligo Hoops.
12/05/2014, 8:42 PM
He has an appreciation for the Hoops alright:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/only-sport-can-do-this-to-you-26701427.html

"There's only one Red Army" is a must read for any LOI devotee.