gael353
10/05/2014, 10:54 PM
Keep him please. We might stay up

Charlie Darwin
10/05/2014, 11:00 PM
Still never been relegated.

White Horse
11/05/2014, 6:16 PM
Sacking being reported by a BBC sports journalist on twitter.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/MarkJM/Roddy.png

NeverFeltBetter
11/05/2014, 6:43 PM
Wonder who'll be next to give him a shot. Have to imagine it will be another First Divison outfit, where he has a track record of success over the last few years. But in the Premier Division his record is appalling post-Bohs. How does he keep getting work?

Candystripe
11/05/2014, 6:47 PM
It's official.

Derry have released a statement saying it was by mutual consent.

White Horse
11/05/2014, 6:47 PM
It's rumoured that the Derry board will look to Mick Cooke to bring an attacking and adventurist style of play to the Brandywell.

Yossarian
11/05/2014, 6:48 PM
No surprise really with the way Derry have been playing. His rant after the game on Friday just summed it up.

KeepersBall
11/05/2014, 7:00 PM
He could be just the man to keep the Drogs up. I understand the fans have been on his back, but at face value it seems a hasty sacking.
They are hardly struggling.

da bishop
11/05/2014, 7:16 PM
so when is Hutton being announced as the new boss....?

Charlie Darwin
11/05/2014, 7:16 PM
He could be just the man to keep the Drogs up.
He's never been relegated you know.

White Horse
11/05/2014, 7:19 PM
He could be just the man to keep the Drogs up. I understand the fans have been on his back, but at face value it seems a hasty sacking.
They are hardly struggling.

The definition of "struggling" is different in Derry and Drogheda.

Joe Strummer
11/05/2014, 7:20 PM
http://s2.postimg.org/nfc1ar5ex/james.png

brendy_éire
11/05/2014, 7:21 PM
Relief is my main emotion.
Derry City social club going pretty mental ATM.
Highlight of the season.

Charlie Darwin
11/05/2014, 7:22 PM
I thought his signings were pretty good to be honest. Byrne is an experienced player and Stewart is a real handful who tore Luke Byrne apart on the opening day. The problem was no matter how good the signings, they still have to play under Roderick.

nigel-harps1954
11/05/2014, 7:30 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1609906_10201657859961253_3797091045756577282_n.jp g

OldNassau
11/05/2014, 9:08 PM
should have stayed at Athlone and try to build things over a five year period starting with a remit of staying in the top flight. Instead he thought he was more worthy of a bigger job

pineapple stu
11/05/2014, 9:20 PM
Didn't Athlone get rid of him because he wanted a huge budget increase?

In that case, staying at Athlone wasn't an option.

Acer
11/05/2014, 9:48 PM
The definition of "struggling" is different in Derry and Drogheda.

It's not like you to refer to drogheda in a post.

Brings up up an interesting point though; what are the expectations in Derry? It's been 17 years since they won the league. Did they expect to challenge with Roddy in charge? Seems a hasty sacking but maybe the performances were just so bad that there was no prospect of improvement in the future.

wonder88
11/05/2014, 10:30 PM
Looks a bit hasty alright, how many points they are behind Sligo now? It is a lot similar to Shamrock Rovers getting rid of S Kenny which I think was a mistake as he didn't get enough time there to move out the players who didn't like him being in charge. Thankfully the board at Tallaght has been more patient and Crolly has been given some time as he has them near the top of the table. However if the fans wanted him out as much as reported, then it best for all that he goes.
Now Derry have one of their own in charge, and lets hope Pizza Hutton has them playing free-flowing football and challenging for the title as that is the expectation it seems.
Could Roddy be back at Bohs soon?

nigel-harps1954
11/05/2014, 10:53 PM
lets hope Pizza Hutton has them playing free-flowing football and challenging for the title as that is the expectation it seems.

http://pinkie.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/139688733205.gif

horton
12/05/2014, 9:48 AM
Hopefully the football will now be better craic than the managers post match interviews!

Mr A
12/05/2014, 9:56 AM
http://www.troll.me/images/dramatic-soap-opera-cat/i-am-disappoint-thumb.jpg

desaintsno.12
12/05/2014, 10:50 AM
cant wait to hear his take on it !!

El-Pietro
12/05/2014, 2:51 PM
could ye not have waited a week. We were looking forward to a comfortable 3 points!

Dalymountrower
12/05/2014, 3:09 PM
Thankfully the board at Tallaght has been more patient and Crolly has been given some time as he has them near the top of the table. However if the fans wanted him out as much as reported, then it best for all that he goes.

The Rovers fans did want Crolly out, and if they go on another bad run. he will be gone before the end of the season

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 3:12 PM
There's still a big contingent that want Croly out, but not as big as last season. The performances this season have been more encouraging, if still patchy. Think he'll need to bring in a midfielder or two in July.

Aaron
12/05/2014, 5:53 PM
Nothing hasty about this decision, was overdue. Start of season he was shouting about winning the league, then down in Dundalk says we're mad if we thought we'd go there and play football. Says he wouldnt pay to watch us this season, fell out with Patterson, Doherty and Shane McEleney. Negative tactics, **** style of play

Nutjob, on yer bike Roddy!!!

cestlavie
12/05/2014, 7:09 PM
Nothing hasty about this decision, was overdue. Start of season he was shouting about winning the league, then down in Dundalk says we're mad if we thought we'd go there and play football. Says he wouldnt pay to watch us this season, fell out with Patterson, Doherty and Shane McEleney. Negative tactics, **** style of play

Patterson wouldnt fall out with anybody, lol

If Derry fans are expecting free flowing football under Hutton u obviously didnt see the job he done with Harps last year.

Hope he is on soccer republic tonight. I was enjoying the craic when he was in charge, entertaining big time. Loved the interview on Friday night with the Londonderry sentinel.

Check it out. The journalist was bricking it.

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/sport/football/derry-city/city-fans-boo-after-defeat-1-6051167

oriel
12/05/2014, 7:30 PM
The YMCA comment was just superb, would make a great sketch at an end of season thing, cue the music, then the fancy dress, Indian, NYC Cop, Builder, now who was the 4th guy?

That comment was up there with Croly's 'at least we are losing the right way' (2013)

Trainee
12/05/2014, 7:58 PM
Tony Cousins better look over his shoulder as Roddy surely be in running for Longford Job as he has great ability of getting teams promoted from first div

Martinho II
12/05/2014, 10:37 PM
Tony Cousins better look over his shoulder as Roddy surely be in running for Longford Job as he has great ability of getting teams promoted from first div

noone in Longford wants him. We could have had him in 2008 but the supporters club told him and his contingent that we didnt want him in Longford and that is still the case!

ATFC-1887
13/05/2014, 2:54 AM
noone in Longford wants him. We could have had him in 2008 but the supporters club told him and his contingent that we didnt want him in Longford and that is still the case!
Maybe im wrong here, but i highly doubt the supporters club would have any say in who the club appoint as manager. I can certainly see Roddy as the next Longford manager. If ye want to get promoted, in fairness, he is the man to do it. If he can do it with Monaghon and Athlone, he can do it with anyone.

Darklordsbane
13/05/2014, 4:22 AM
if he is given TC's job it will be bye bye Noel Haverty and James Mulhall as his son will play every game at right back unless of course he fancies a different position

Acornvilla
13/05/2014, 5:40 AM
Roddy won't ever be manager of Longford, thank Christ.
Tony will probably be our manager for another 5 years the way things are going. The man can't be got rid of.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 6:14 AM

I think it was the spoofing that lost him the job this early, especially the 'built on sand' stuff. If he had kept his gob shut and cut out the ridiculous diversion attempts like the Pat Hoban comments he might have lasted a few more weeks. Dont know how he thought the Derry support wouldnt see through his bull straight away. How good is his son, is he worthy of a place in an LoI side? - never saw him play.

Longfordian
13/05/2014, 6:52 AM
Maybe im wrong here, but i highly doubt the supporters club would have any say in who the club appoint as manager. I can certainly see Roddy as the next Longford manager. If ye want to get promoted, in fairness, he is the man to do it. If he can do it with Monaghon and Athlone, he can do it with anyone.

The Supporters Club being against it was the excuse Roddy gave at the time. And it was true they didn't want him but the reality was that the "investors" he had with him didn't actually have any money and that became clear pretty quick. Our chairman makes the decisions but I can't see any way he'd appoint Roddy. We could still go up yet anyway :o

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2014, 7:53 AM
How good is his son, is he worthy of a place in an LoI side? - never saw him play.

At this point, I'd like to refer to my earlier .gif image. Not often I can use the same one twice in a thread, each with equal relevance.

A N Mouse
13/05/2014, 9:36 AM
I think it was the spoofing that lost him the job this early, especially the 'built on sand' stuff. If he had kept his gob shut and cut out the ridiculous diversion attempts like the Pat Hoban comments he might have lasted a few more weeks. Dont know how he thought the Derry support wouldnt see through his bull straight away. How good is his son, is he worthy of a place in an LoI side? - never saw him play.

A more cynical man than I might claim it was junior that kept patterson out of the team. There only being room for one passenger

Redzer
13/05/2014, 9:42 AM
How good is his son, is he worthy of a place in an LoI side? - never saw him play.
Every bit as good as Jake Dykes is, with us.:weep:
Its not just Roddy who practice's nepotism.

outspoken
13/05/2014, 10:49 AM
There was a lot of bad blood left over from when Roddy tried to take over down here last time with the club giving one version and roddy giving another in the press (After some of his comments in Derry I think we all know who to believe) so there's no way I can ever see Jim Hanley or anyone at Longford Town FC ever allowing Roddy Collins near this football club and rightfully so.

brendy_éire
13/05/2014, 11:44 AM
what are the expectations in Derry? It's been 17 years since they won the league. Did they expect to challenge with Roddy in charge? Seems a hasty sacking but maybe the performances were just so bad that there was no prospect of improvement in the future.

We expected to qualify for Europe. Roddy stated pre-season that it would be a "disaster" if he didn't win the league, but we all thought that was being overly optimistic.
We have the makings of a very good squad, and expected Roddy (or any manager, for that matter) to bring in a few heads to make us challengers.
Didn't happen and nothing hasty about getting rid of him. It was his style or play more than anything that sank him. It was truly dreadful to watch. Worse than the 2003 season we when nearly got relegated, IMO. Even if we'd have won matches with that style of play, I still think there'd have been plenty calling for his head.

Lim till i die
13/05/2014, 12:29 PM
Our game with Derry in the Brandywell earlier in the season was arguably the worst i've ever seen (bear in mind im a Limerick fan going on 20 years) it was just surreal up there, only about 600 people at it, near total silence and Derry were dull, dull, DULL. Not what id come to expect from Derry at all at all.

Having said all that I thought he'd be safe to the window at least as he was cute enough to gut the squad and bring in his own.

Could genuinely see Roddy washing up at Bohs in the not too distant future.

avvenalaf
13/05/2014, 12:35 PM
You just pray he doesn't turn up at Limerick. Hearing that Taylor is going to Tranmere.

Lim till i die
13/05/2014, 12:41 PM
Roddy as boss with Pat Dolan as director of football.

Get the crowds flocking to Thomond Park, might even have to look at renting the Gaelic Grounds for the bigger games.

NeverFeltBetter
13/05/2014, 12:50 PM
You just pray he doesn't turn up at Limerick. Hearing that Taylor is going to Tranmere.

I'm not sure what he's done to deserve that position.

brendy_éire
13/05/2014, 1:02 PM
Great statement by Decky Devine:
http://derrynow.com/article/2204

Derry Journal reporting that Peter Hutton is to be offered the job this evening with his choice of assistant. Also, that's there’s nothing left in our player budget for this season.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 1:20 PM
Farrenso? ok Deco Devineo

Ezeikial
13/05/2014, 5:16 PM
Devine demonstrated how grounded he is - in stark contrast to the recently departed astronaut.

Pizza may be well liked, but his management track record is hardly inspiring. Do Derry folk see him as the right man for the job?