PDA

View Full Version : Fair Play to Ye Lads

Pages : [1] 2

The Sheliban
29/10/2004, 10:57 PM
You helped to make it one of the games of the season at Tolka tonight, and boy we've had a few this year. Probably the noisiest away support we've had this season.
I think you showed tonight you're worthy title contenders. You seemed a lot sharper on the ball in the first half, though I thought we looked comfortable second half, with the exception of Kearney's drive. Both defences soaked up the pressure comfortably.
Draw was a fair result. We could point to our 3 clear chances - Ollie, Rogers and Jayo - in the second half, but a win would have been unfair.
You can probably point to having taken only 2 points from us this year as the reason why you didn't quite make it.
Once again, well done, fantastic support.

Prego
29/10/2004, 11:09 PM
Were City denied a penalty in the first half?????

Kingdom
30/10/2004, 12:03 AM
Yes. Yes they were.

City Hero
30/10/2004, 1:15 AM
Can't wait for EL weekly on Monday night. Should be fairly easy for Rico to analyze the game;

"That's what's called a penalty"

"That's what's called a foul"

"That's what's called a referee bottling it"

Should be in the script a few times.

But seriously, is it just me, or do referee's up and down the country always seem to take the easy option, the one that will cause least problems. It's always easier to give a free out or a goal kick than a free in or penalty. What ever happened to giving the attacking team the benefit of the doubt? It's not like players are diving looking for a penalty every 5 minutes like certain other leagues.

thecorner
30/10/2004, 3:06 AM
fair play sheliban for saying those things

as of the penalty, i cant say, i didnt see enough of it...was lighting another flare ;)

but we cant keep on having a chip on our shoulders with refs

thecorner
30/10/2004, 3:16 AM
Probably the noisiest away support we've had this season..

probably this century ;)

thecorner
30/10/2004, 4:12 AM
i can actually say i have never been so proud to be a city supporter. just seeing the people who came out tonite in their numbers supporting the team.

actually it disgusts me

where are they all season???????????

we travel to most away games and u get these fellas that come out tonite

where are they all season on away trips...if they came to a few more to support the side, maybe we wouldnt be in this position of needing points

higgins
30/10/2004, 4:43 AM
You nearly outnumbered the home team???

I dont think so.....

Maybe we can get your breakdown of the attendace tonight?

ccfcgirl
30/10/2004, 10:00 AM
fantastic city support last night ,great team performance.tolka park ran out of hotdogs and durrow ran out of burgers .city fans everywhere on way home.im so proud of been a city fan

patsh
30/10/2004, 11:27 AM
About 1500 City fans. ;)No way.
About 800.

yan
30/10/2004, 11:55 AM
according to the sun 'well in excess of 1000'

ollie
30/10/2004, 12:25 PM
according to the echo 600.i'd say about 800 myself maybe 1000 at stretch

one_bounce
30/10/2004, 12:40 PM
the most important thing now is that dolan and the players pick themselves up for the match against derry on fri.. we can win all 4 of our remaining matches and at least then its down to shels own results if they make it... i thought the city players looked dejected when the ref blew the final whistle last night.. hopefully they dont see it as our last chance blown..

thecorner
30/10/2004, 1:08 PM
the most important thing now is that dolan and the players pick themselves up for the match against derry on fri..

pick themselves up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from what?????????????

that was agreat result and performance last night :confused:

eoinh
30/10/2004, 1:12 PM
what was the actual overall attendance?

Prego
30/10/2004, 1:41 PM
actually it disgusts me
where are they all season???????????
we travel to most away games and u get these fellas that come out tonite
where are they all season on away trips...if they came to a few more to support the side, maybe we wouldnt be in this position of needing points
I can't believe what I've just read. So the lack of more support at the away matches is a reason for dropped points? :confused:
You sound like someone that is never satisfied :mad:

thecorner
30/10/2004, 1:43 PM
I can't believe what I've just read. So the lack of more support at the away matches is a reason for dropped points? :

well believe what u just read

do u not think that it lifts the players when they come out away from home and see a good crowd there ;)

Pablo
30/10/2004, 1:47 PM
what was the actual overall attendance?

4000 acording to aertel. all shels could muster was a bit over 3000(many of them neutrals) for a probably title deciding match

pathetic

Pablo
30/10/2004, 1:50 PM
Shels edge closer to eircom League crown

October 30, 2004

Shelbourne 0-0 Cork City
The battle of the Premier Division titans ended scoreless at Tolka Park on Friday night, leaving Cork City requiring a massive and unexpected collapse from Shels in the final four games of the season to have any chance of claiming their first league success in 11 years.

Cork had come into the game on the back of a seven-game winning streak, but at least as important as that run was their sequence of results against Shels in the past two years – no win from eight games stretching back to November 2002.

Shels, on the other hand, knew that a draw would have virtually assured them of the title, and with their four-game run-in including three matches against the Cup finalists (Longford twice and Waterford) they are certain to have too much in reserve for Cork, who must still meet Bohemians, their rivals for the Uefa Cup spot.

Indeed, Bohs’ comfortable win over Drogheda United on Friday night leaves the battle for second place, between the Gypsies and Cork, far tighter than the one between the top two, particularly with the sides slated to meet at Turners Cross on the final day of the season.

The acrimony between Shels and Cork, which surfaced when respective managers Pat Dolan and Pat Fenlon engaged in a verbal row at the Cross last April, deepened on Friday night, when Shels assistant boss Eamonn Collins – a former assistant to Dolan at St Pats – and members of the Cork backroom team had to be restrained from each other at half-time.

Collins was not on the Reds bench after the break as referee Paul McKeon opted to dismiss him from the dug-out.

With the onus on Cork to take the game to them, Shels were content to sit back to an extent, but neither set of forwards, Alan Moore and 23-goal Jason Byrne for Shels or in-form Cork pair John O’Flynn and Kevin Doyle, were able to get the better of their markers to any degree.

The Cork traveling support, numbering in the region of 1000, did their best to help their side conjure up a goal, but despite some good moments on the wings from Billy Woods and Liam Kearney, they were unable to break the deadlock.

They did have a loud shot for a penalty late in the first half when O’Flynn went down under a challenge from Jamie Harris, but the referee waved away the appeals.

Shels could have ended any doubt about the destination of the title early in the second half, but former Cork favourite Ollie Cahill spurned a great chance to end his ex-colleagues’ resistance.

The visitors, requiring the win more than Shels, did at least pin the home side back for spells before the end, but apart from a deflected volley from Kearney which Steve Williams did well to keep out, they were unable to carve open any real openings.

Shelbourne: Williams, Heary, Crawley, Rogers, Harris, S. Byrne, Crawford, Hoolahan (Cawley, 85), Cahill, Moore (Fitzpatrick, 73), Byrne.

Cork City: Devine, Horgan, O’Halloran, Bennett, Murray, O’Callaghan, Gamble, Woods, Kearney, Doyle, O’Flynn (Behan, 90).

Referee: P. McKeon (Dublin).

thecorner
30/10/2004, 1:50 PM
4000 acording to aertel. all shels could muster was a bit over 3000(many of them neutrals)

yeah saw a lot of dublin city scarfs in the tolka bar last night

one_bounce
30/10/2004, 2:10 PM
pick themselves up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from what?????????????

that was agreat result and performance last night :confused:

youre some drama queen biy.. of course it was a great performance lat night and the team was brilliant, but they didnt get the result they wanted..ie a win

thats all im on about..im not criticising any one of them

thecorner
30/10/2004, 2:17 PM
youre some drama queen biy.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DolansWaistcoat
30/10/2004, 2:37 PM
Brilliant support last night for City,i'd say it was more like 600 there than a 1000 though,but I waws never too good at maths so I could be all wrong.

I was blinded by all the flares the corner was lighting up couldn't see for a lot of the game,nothing at all to do with all the tins we were drinking on the way up. ;)

It was my first time at Tolka and I couldn't believe how bad the home support was.I mean it was a huge game for them as well as us and they couldn't even get behind their team,shocking.If the X was like that every second friday I'd be disgusted

Pablo
30/10/2004, 2:54 PM
i guess he means that a lot of people have used thier spare time/holiday entitlements to support City away this season and it'd be nice if we could rouse a crowd like that a bit more often.

i wouldnt slag anyone for going to a city match though the more the merrier and the more often the merrier!

Colm
30/10/2004, 3:02 PM
Yesterday, people made an effort to get to the game, to support their team.

It would be nice if they all made the effort more often though.

I just hope that all of those who were there last night will make the same effort on Friday week for the last away game of the season up in Drogheda. That's going to be another massive game, we'll be hoping to have at least 2 buses going to that again.

Gary
30/10/2004, 3:04 PM

I just hope that all of those who were there last night will make the same effort on Friday week for the last away game of the season up in Drogheda. That's going to be another massive game, we'll be hoping to have at least 2 buses going to that again.

Well for me anyway, getting Fridays off, or even a half day is practically impossible. Id love to make it, but doubt I can.

Pablo
30/10/2004, 3:04 PM

all real city fans will be at that game ;)

Slash/ED
30/10/2004, 5:09 PM
according to the echo 600.i'd say about 800 myself maybe 1000 at stretch

Jesus, Cork under estimating their own crowd! I'd say 1,000+, and since I was looking at the stand whereas all of you were probably in it I probably got a better view of it. Wasn't far off the amount that Bohs brought recently, which is amazing really. Fair play for the numbers

Fair_play_boy
30/10/2004, 6:30 PM
Thought there was about 600 until half time. Coming back from the "chipper", I could not believe how full the stand was. How much does it hold? I reckon we had it 60% to 65% full. I guess about 1,100.

higgins
30/10/2004, 7:26 PM
I think it holds 3000??
maybe a bit more..

A face
30/10/2004, 8:02 PM
I know that there was a bus trying to make it through traffic 20 mins into the game and a few more people along with that.

Coming out of the bar at half-time and looked over .... there was at least 1000+ .... when you stood back from it, it looked impressive alright. The colour (green white and red) stood out way more than normal (better than home games anyway)

Fair_play_boy
30/10/2004, 8:10 PM
Played it safe and came up really early. Had a laugh walking around Dublin in the CCFC shirt. Got a few funny looks and "c'mon Shels" calls. 2 Bohs fans I met said they saw another City shirt as well, and decided they were going to join in with our crowd. Class. :D

Colm
30/10/2004, 8:34 PM
I'd say there were at least 800 of us there although when I was coming out of the bar for the second half it did look like there were over 1000 of us there alright.
We put on a good show with everyone singing and the flares etc.
Hopefully we'll have similar numbers in Drogheda on Friday week, there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't.

Éanna
30/10/2004, 10:32 PM
i reckon there were about 800 there to be honest. I was delighted to see the crowd we had there, but I do think the corner has a point. there were a hell of a lot of people who I have never seen at an away game beofre there, I know people can't make it every time, but I do think there are a lot of people who could make one or two away games per season more than they do, and it does make a difference. hopefully people will have got the taste for it now! :)

thecorner
30/10/2004, 10:46 PM
i reckon there were about 800 there to be honest. I was delighted to see the crowd we had there, but I do think the corner has a point.

thank you eanna

let me clarify this

how many of that crowd were at their first away game last night :confused:

why will they only go if its a big game.. we have a "big" away game nearly every 2nd week

looked around me last night and saw a lot of new faces, thats all well and good if they are gonna be back again...dont think so

had to endure some @sshole slating georgie behind me( what biy can clarify this, A FACE might be able to, dont know if he heard it,but was close by).....ended up telling him to shut the fcuk up

would this happen against dublin city on a thursday..dont think so

im not saying im the best fan in the world before anybody jumps at me but with our home support there should be nothing stopping us filling 3 buses every week

used to get on at dolans waistcoat about wasting his fridays when city were playing away and he tried one game and now hes hooked....thats what we want out of away games

rant over

joe
30/10/2004, 10:58 PM
I think I've seen it all now . . . giving out about people making the effort to travel to an away game. :rolleyes:

thecorner
30/10/2004, 11:00 PM
I think I've seen it all now . . . giving out about people making the effort to travel to an away game. :rolleyes:

yes to "an" away game as in singular ;)

joe
30/10/2004, 11:02 PM
yes to "an" away game as in singular ;)

everyone has to start somewhere

from little acorns and all that

thecorner
30/10/2004, 11:03 PM
everyone has to start somewhere

from little acorns and all that
from what i can see so, we had a lot of late developers ;)

drogs game will tell a lot

A face
30/10/2004, 11:07 PM
had to endure some @sshole slating georgie behind me( what biy can clarify this, A FACE might be able to, dont know if he heard it,but was close by).....ended up telling him to shut the fcuk up

Yeah i heard him alright but couldn't figure out who it was exactly. I actually wouldn't mind if, out of all the slating, there was something that Georgie was doing wrong but it was as if the guy wasn't even looking at the game, just shouting random abuse. Was trying to figure it out and then relised ... i'm spending too much time paying attention to this guy. I just shouted support for Georgie everytime he started up. To be honest ... i think this is the best way to counteract it, he seemed to shout less anyway.

(I agree that some people dont like Georgie and that is fine, fair play .. you have an opinion at least but the level of abuse that some people dish out is way over the top, you'd swear Georgie was dribbling the ball towards our goal with the odd one-two with the opposition. keep it in perspective at least)

joe
30/10/2004, 11:08 PM
from what i can see so, we had a lot of late developers ;)

would you prefer if they never developed beyond the man yoo stage then?

Colm
30/10/2004, 11:25 PM

I wonder why you didn't point him out to me?!! ;)

School... work commitments? I was able to make this Shels game. It's the mid-term break. I try to make every away game possible where i don't have school, but I won't be able to make the Drogs game unfortunately. Hopefully I'll have a half day or something. But a lot of other people are in the same boat as me.

Could you not just take a half day from school? There's a hell of a lot of youngfella/girls on the buses who do it nearly every second week. It's the last away game of the season so you won't have to do it again for a while.

joe
30/10/2004, 11:28 PM
Could you not just take a half day from school? There's a hell of a lot of youngfella/girls on the buses who do it nearly every second week. It's the last away game of the season so you won't have to do it again for a while.

The poor fella might end up repeating the leaving cert if he carries on like :p

Éanna
30/10/2004, 11:40 PM
Sorry, I'm City till I die and everything, but school comes first for me. Once i'm out if it, then its away games all the time unless college/work stops me from doing this (but i hope it doesn't) and as long as Ian is running his buses ;) .
thats fair enough. not everyone can manage it

colblimp
30/10/2004, 11:49 PM
$hel$ was only my third away game. I only moved to Ireland last December and have been to most home matches and the away games I just mentioned. I am passionate about football and love watching City. Please dont have a go at us newbies. I will be going to Drogs away, buying a season ticket next season, getting involved with FourFiveOne and going to as many away games as possible. I will also be at Ovens on Tuesday night.

We all have to start somewhere...... :rolleyes:

City Hero
30/10/2004, 11:58 PM
looked around me last night and saw a lot of new faces, thats all well and good if they are gonna be back again...dont think so

must have been the light from the flares in the otherwise dark stand. ;)

Soko
31/10/2004, 12:34 AM
Once i'm out if it, then its away games all the time unless college stops me from doing this

LOL!!! College?

The last time I heard the leaving cert was in June not November. Not tryin to knock you but you you wont miss too much by taking a half day on a Friday.

Colm
31/10/2004, 11:46 AM
The last time I heard the leaving cert was in June not November. Not tryin to knock you but you you wont miss too much by taking a half day on a Friday.

I agree. In all fairness missing two or three classes on a Friday afternoon isn't going to do him any harm, there's a load of people who go on the bus that are doing their leaving cert who take a half day every second Friday.
I can't see why you don't do the same U4EA? The Drogs game is the last away game of the season so you're not going to have to do it again for about 3 months.

Éanna
31/10/2004, 1:10 PM
in fairness lads, there's no call to be giving out to someone for not missing school. if its important, he has every right to put it first.

patsh
31/10/2004, 6:30 PM
This thread has turned into a bit of a joke.....:rolleyes:

Patsh: "I need to take yet more time off, Friday, boss."

Boss: "Hmmmm, what is it THIS time?"

Patsh:"Ehh, I have an...emm....thing I have to do"

Boss:"Oh OK, no problem..."

Patsh:"Thanks Boss, you're sound...(under breath "for a eggchasing tosser")

Boss: (as Patsh is leaving room) "Would this "thing" be taking place in Drogheda by any chance?"

Patsh:" Ehh No...:eek: "

Boss: "Grand.......because you would like to continue earning money one presumes?...."