PDA

View Full Version : Irish involvement in the Football League playoffs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Charlie Darwin
03/05/2014, 2:54 PM
With the last game of the football league calendar today, I thought it would be useful to compile a list of which Irish players will be competing for each side as the spots are decided. The Championship is already finished, so I'll start there.

Young players not yet in the senior set-up in italics.

Championship:

Derby: Jeff Hendrick, Richard Keogh, Mark O'Brien, Conor Sammon

v

Brighton: Keith Andrews (on loan from Bolton), Stephen Ward (on loan from Wolves)

QPR: Kevin Doyle (on loan from Wolves), Richard Dunne, Brian Murphy, Frankie Sutherland, Michael Harriman

v

Wigan: Rob Kiernan, Chris McCann, James McClean

League One

Leyton Orient: Dave Mooney

v

Peterborough: Danny Kearns (on loan at Chesterfield), Robert Duggan

Rotherham: Lee Frecklington

v

Preston North End: Alan Browne, Keith Keane, Graham Cummins (on loan at Rochdale), Will Hayhurst (on loan at York City)

League Two:

Fleetwood Town: Adam Barton (on loan from Coventry)

v

York City: Lanre Oyebanjo, Will Hayhurst (on loan from Preston)

Southend United: Conor Clifford, Barry Corr, John Egan (on loan free agent), Michael Timlin

v

Burton Albion: Damien McCrory

SkStu
03/05/2014, 3:16 PM
Or another way...

Derby: Jeff Hendrick, Richard Keogh, Mark O'Brien, Conor Sammon
V
Brighton: Keith Andrews, Stephen Ward

QPR: Kevin Doyle, Richard Dunne, Brian Murphy, Frankie Sutherland, Michael Harriman
V
Wigan: Rob Kiernan, Chris McCann, James McClean

Derby or Wigan please. :)

tetsujin1979
03/05/2014, 3:33 PM
McCann's not going to play any part, he's still out with a knee injury.
Sutherland was rumoured to play a part in QPR's run in, despite injuring his cruciate in November, but still hasn't appeared for them: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11711/9267089/championship-frankie-sutherland-eyes-role-in-qpr-run-in

(http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11711/9267089/championship-frankie-sutherland-eyes-role-in-qpr-run-in)

Charlie Darwin
03/05/2014, 5:35 PM
Added the other two leagues per Stu's suggestion.

tetsujin1979
06/05/2014, 11:55 AM
The Secret Journalist's predictions for the play offs: http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-journalist/16806/hold-tight-for-the-end-of-season-shoot-out/

Charlie Darwin
06/05/2014, 3:15 PM
It's pretty simple in my eyes. The teams that win the playoffs are usually the teams hitting form around now, so for me that means Derby, Preston and Fleetwood. I'd be surprised if any of those sides don't make the final at least.

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2014, 7:08 PM
Preston are D-W-L-W-W-L

Peterborough are W-W-L-W-W-D

Peterborough face Dave Mooney on Saturday though, who is an L1 beast.

Charlie Darwin
06/05/2014, 7:11 PM
Hmm, fair enough, I had a better impression of Preston's form. They have been rocketing in goals though.

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2014, 7:18 PM
I agree broadly on form heading into a playoffs is more beneficial than position, generally, but in L1 it's about to be tested as despite being a relegated side from the level above last season, Peterborough finished a distant sixth and a full 20 points from the automatic spot for second and 29 off title winners Wolves. But they bring the best form into the playoff games.

Charlie Darwin
06/05/2014, 7:28 PM
Yeah, the way Orient's challenge tailed off doesn't give you much optimism they'll be making the final, when for much of the season they were odds-on for automatic promotion. Same with QPR in the Championship.

CraftyToePoke
06/05/2014, 7:42 PM
Preston
5/2

Rotherham
13/5

Leyton Orient
13/4

Peterborough
10/3

Value ? Tricky ? :)

Crosby87
06/05/2014, 7:53 PM
Montage of Lee Frecklington in celebration of his life and being in the playoffs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T5IV3AHiKM

ArdeeBhoy
07/05/2014, 12:33 AM
Tbh, these play-offs are a complete lottery, understand the logic of the predicted winners, but don't be surprised if at least one 'unfancied' side makes each Final and had no idea as per Chuck's OP so many of the participants were in the senior set-up, or was that just the Championship/Div.2 clubs?

Charlie Darwin
07/05/2014, 1:46 AM
I don't think there are unfancied sides. Out of the four Championship sides, they're all strong enough to make it. As CraftyToePoke pointed out, Peterborough are the form side coming into the League One playoffs having been relegated last year, while Orient and Rochdale have been near the top all year. League Two is a bit harder to call but Southend's Phil Brown has form winning playoffs while Fleetwood finished the season well.

DannyInvincible
08/05/2014, 8:24 PM
Derby are currently 2-1 up in the first leg of their tie away to Brighton. Ward, Andrews and Will Buckley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Buckley_(footballer)) (who is also eligible for us and allegedly interested) all started for Brighton. Buckley was replaced at half-time. Keogh and Hendrick started for Derby, while Sammon joined the fray on 72 minutes.

Edit: Derby held on for a 2-1 victory.

Charlie Darwin
08/05/2014, 8:58 PM
Sammon was very harshly booked for getting the ball. The linesman was right beside it and said no foul, but the referee knew better from 30 yards away. Hendrick looked very active in the first half but he faded as Derby began to sit deeper. Thought Ward played very well and Andrews was tidy. Obviously saving his important goal for the return leg.

ArdeeBhoy
09/05/2014, 9:49 AM
It has to be said Sammon is awful...well in the Eng.top two divisions.
A definite fish out of water...

Charlie Darwin
10/05/2014, 4:10 PM
Alan Browne starts this evening for Preston against Rochdale with Keith Keane on the bench. Earlier on, Dave Mooney played as Leyton Orient got a good draw at Peterborough.

Dunne and Kiernan both started in the Wigan-QPR game last night, with Doyle a late sub for QPR and McClean unused for Wigan.

TheOneWhoKnocks
10/05/2014, 4:15 PM
How now Browne cow.

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 6:39 PM
Dunne and Doyle start for QPR, with Brian "Better than Julio Cesar" Murphy on the bench. McClean and Kiernan both start for Wigan.

Lanre Oyebanjo and Will Hayhurst start for York City against Fleetwood in the rescheduled first leg.

TheOneWhoKnocks
12/05/2014, 8:19 PM
Looks like Derby v Wigan in the Playoff Final.

Probably the best case scenario from an Irish perspective. Four lads in their twenties at Derby and three lads in their twenties at Wigan as opposed to two lads in their thirties, an out of choice GK and two untested youth team players at QPR and a thirty something loanee and another loanee at Brighton.

The bestest scenario would be either of those teams getting promoted and Burnley following up their interest in Kevin Doyle.

Closed Account
12/05/2014, 9:27 PM
Derby V QPR it is.

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 10:04 PM
That was a strange game. Wigan played the deepest 3-5-2 I've ever seen, but once they did attack they'd throw nine men up in support. McClean was playing as a lone striker for most of the match, and should have scored the goal that won it for them shortly before Caldwell's crazy tackle that gave QPR the chance to level. Kiernan looked OK but he's very timid. Was pushed around by Zamora a few times and was jointly-responsible for the winning goal even though the commentators focused on Bennett.

tricky_colour
13/05/2014, 12:21 AM
Preston
5/2

Rotherham
13/5

Leyton Orient
13/4

Peterborough
10/3

Value ? Tricky ? :)

Hi, not looked at this thread before and don't know much about it, however I do know the brother of the Leyton Orient
manger, watched the first leg of the play off with him, which they drew, so if I were to have a bet I'd put it on L.O.
It seems you can still get 11/4 on them but some only give 9/4.
The draw away from home might seem good but they are better away than at home! However Peterborough
are pretty poor away from home, they have lost 12 away (L.O. have lost 7 at home though).
But I think if you can get 11/4 it is good odds.
The manager Slade had a good run in the FA cup with Scarborough eventually losing 1-0 to Chelsea
so he has done well in these knock-out games before.
Seems you can only get 5/2 at Betfair now but I thinks that is good value.
I also though Liverpool were good value for the Premiership but they slipped up.
However I have a feeling L.O will get promoted. plus one of my bets has to win eventually!!! (in an infinite Universe!!)

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2014, 12:23 AM
if I were to have a bet
Don't tease us, tricky.

tricky_colour
13/05/2014, 12:30 AM
Don't tease us, tricky.

Well I have to recover the money I lost on Liverpool winning the title somehow!!

L.O had a good start to the season but then faded, but picked up a bit going
into the play offs (two wins), but before that they had only won about 1 in 7.
All depends on who does best on the day(s) I guess.

Might be worth noting that Slade has twice got to a play off final and
lost both!!! So don't bet too big :D
Or could it be 3rd time lucky? (not that they have got the final yet though).

CraftyToePoke
13/05/2014, 7:46 AM
Posh have won all of their three previous second-leg games in play-off semi-finals in 1992, 2000 and 2011.
And each time they went on to win promotion in the final.

Head-to-Head

• The two sides drew 1-1 in the first leg of the semi-final at London Road on Saturday.
• Peterborough won the last league meeting 2-1 at Brisbane Road in February - their only win in the last five meetings.
• Leyton Orient won this season's league meeting at London Road 3-1 in November - their only win in the last 10 meetings there in all competitions.

Peterborough

• Peterborough have won six of their last 10 games in all competitions, drawing two and losing two.
• Peterborough have won two of their last five away games, losing the other three.

Leyton Orient

• Leyton Orient are unbeaten in their last three games, having ended their league campaign with back-to-back wins.
• Leyton Orient have won two of their last six home games since beating Colchester at Brisbane Road on Saturday, 1 March, drawing one and losing three.

What to do now Tricky ?

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2014, 7:53 AM
Orient fans writing this one off, despite being at home.
My money's on Rotherham, PNE have an awful play-off record. So they'll probably get promoted.
:rolleyes:

tricky_colour
13/05/2014, 6:42 PM
Posh have won all of their three previous second-leg games in play-off semi-finals in 1992, 2000 and 2011.
And each time they went on to win promotion in the final.

Head-to-Head

• The two sides drew 1-1 in the first leg of the semi-final at London Road on Saturday.
• Peterborough won the last league meeting 2-1 at Brisbane Road in February - their only win in the last five meetings.
• Leyton Orient won this season's league meeting at London Road 3-1 in November - their only win in the last 10 meetings there in all competitions.

Peterborough

• Peterborough have won six of their last 10 games in all competitions, drawing two and losing two.
• Peterborough have won two of their last five away games, losing the other three.

Leyton Orient

• Leyton Orient are unbeaten in their last three games, having ended their league campaign with back-to-back wins.
• Leyton Orient have won two of their last six home games since beating Colchester at Brisbane Road on Saturday, 1 March, drawing one and losing three.

What to do now Tricky ?

Well Orient are a little better at home then Peterborough are away, I think they will make it to the finals
and win as it will be the managers 3rd final and he lost the other two so he must win one eventually.

Also Peterbrough have gone up evey time they have been in the play off apparently!!!

CraftyToePoke
13/05/2014, 7:43 PM
0-0 HT, Posh looking all over the place at the back says the radio man, defensive coach Gary Breen with work to do. One goal could settle this (Cue a 5 goal second half)

tricky_colour
13/05/2014, 9:15 PM
2-1 to Leyton (3-2 agg) puts them in the final.
They will have to wait until Thursday to find out whether they face Preston or Rotherham.
It look like all the games are going to be close run things.

Charlie Darwin
15/05/2014, 7:59 PM
Rochdale v Preston in League One at the moment. The jerseys could easily be Pats v Dundalk.

SkStu
16/05/2014, 4:09 AM
Rochdale v Preston in League One at the moment. The jerseys could easily be Pats v Dundalk.

A new low for foot.ie? :p

BonnieShels
16/05/2014, 5:05 AM
A new low for foot.ie? :p

The comparison of LOI to League One or League One to LOI?

Stuttgart88
16/05/2014, 10:45 AM
I was just sitting beside Robert Green, the QPR keeper, in a local cafe. We both ordered the same (healthy) breakfast and he magnanimously gave me the first one to come out of the kitchen. I didn't mention James McClean's dive and didn't have the presence of mind to ask about Harriman or Sutherland's prospects!

tetsujin1979
16/05/2014, 11:00 AM
or if he's in any danger of losing his place to Brian Murphy?

ArdeeBhoy
16/05/2014, 11:50 AM
You wimp, Stutts...
;)

And Chuck, you mean Rotherham...

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 1:08 PM
Rotherham, Rochdale, it's all the same.

ArdeeBhoy
16/05/2014, 1:47 PM
Not really, that would be like saying Phibsboro and Tallaght are alike...
;)

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2014, 2:06 PM
Is there a direct bus between Rochdale and Rotherham?

SkStu
16/05/2014, 2:26 PM
The comparison of LOI to League One or League One to LOI?

More the "say anything, whatever's on your mind" nature of the post...like a bored Crosby. :)

ArdeeBhoy
16/05/2014, 7:42 PM
It must be a N.American thing, Stu? Though hope no-one ever confuses the US with Canada!

Is there a direct bus between Rochdale and Rotherham?
:confused:
Especially as 60 miles apart...

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2014, 1:27 PM
Championship playoff final starting in about 30 minutes. Doyle and Dunne start for QPR with Murphy on the bench; Keogh and Hendrick start for Derby with Sammon on the bench.

Crosby87
24/05/2014, 1:46 PM
I just saw robert green on the bus. He magnanimously gave up his seat for a preggers girl.

ArdeeBhoy
24/05/2014, 1:56 PM
Niall Horan (of One Direction!), the last time Derby were in the play-offs seven years ago...
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75081000/png/_75081037_niall_horan_one_direction_derby.pnghttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75081000/png/_75081037_niall_horan_one_direction_derby.png (http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/512/media/images/75081000/png/_75081037_niall_horan_one_direction_derby.png)

Crosby87
24/05/2014, 2:49 PM
Dont you have a signed shirtless poster of the whole band on your bedroom ceiling?

Stuttgart88
24/05/2014, 2:58 PM
Keogh playing very well. As always he is very commanding in the air. He still looks suspect when being run at though, and gave away one very clumsy free. He is always looking for the ball from his keeper and full backs though and McClaren clearly likes him to build from the back. He has passed it well in tight spaces so far and had one strong run.

Hendrick has been quiet despite Derby's midfield being on top. Doyle has had little service and Dunne has been efficient without being under much pressure yet. Hughes tried to claim a penalty from an innocuous contact from Dunne but the ref was rightly having none of it.

Second half about to begin.

Fixer82
24/05/2014, 3:01 PM
any streams?

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2014, 3:01 PM
Dunne was very lucky his trailing leg didn't catch Hughes in the penalty area and the ref wasn't fooled by the dive. He could easily have made contact. Otherwise he's looked pretty sold. QPR are pushing Derby very deep in midfield which has meant Hendrick hasn't featured much on the front foot. Keogh's had a couple of nice forays forward - reminiscent of a certain Paul McShane in his pomp. I have barely seen Doyle and I'm not sure he'll last much longer than an hour at this rate.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/05/2014, 3:02 PM
Doyle took the ball right off Keogh in his own box too.

Doyle, Austin and Martin have all been quiet, Charlie. Ward has had the most impact and that isn't saying much.