PDA

View Full Version : 2016-'Three to watch'

Pages : [1] 2

ArdeeBhoy
03/05/2014, 9:40 AM
Pal of mine has been asked to write a article for a forthcoming Ireland programme for 3 prospective influential players...he's of Irish heritage but has only a passing interest in soccer and I struggled to come up with any credible names.
My best attempt was McCarthy finally being this great midfielder many believed him to be 4-5 years ago, Grealish (though playing in Eng.Div.3) and maybe Shane Duffy (though he just 'helped' Yeovil get relegated!)?

Any better suggestions...

DannyInvincible
03/05/2014, 10:16 AM
Joey Lapira is still only 27. :p

In seriousness though, why is he writing a piece for a match programme if he has only a passing interest in football?

ArdeeBhoy
03/05/2014, 10:22 AM
Journos write on lots of subjects they don't know much about...
:rolleyes:
He has a passing interest, but less knowledgeable than say people on here.

gastric
03/05/2014, 10:32 AM
Jack Byrne, Ian Lawlor, Jeff Hendrick, Noe Baba, Jack Grealish, Tommy Hoban and Sean Murray are all players who might make an impact in 2016.

tetsujin1979
03/05/2014, 10:56 AM
Looking at the last U21 squad: http://www.fai.ie/international/under-21/103779-king-announces-squad-for-uefa-u21-clash-with-montenegro.html
you'd think that Duffy, Hoban, Grealish, McEvoy, and possibly Drennan and Egan have the best chance of making the step up to senior level and of course Hendrick already has
Sweeney has a chance, but he'd want to be making more regular appearances for Reading next season

DannyInvincible
03/05/2014, 11:43 AM
Just on Duffy, he's been recognised as one of Yeovil's outstanding performers in a season where the odds were always going to be stacked against their survival. It would be unfair to say their relegation was aided by his presence; it was more in spite of his efforts.

Stuttgart88
03/05/2014, 12:16 PM
Robbie Keane.

DannyInvincible
03/05/2014, 2:24 PM
Robbie Keane.

What about up-and-coming under-19 goalie, Richard Brush? :p

Crosby87
03/05/2014, 3:17 PM
James McClean. Silik Tikum? Tilikum? Silikum? What's a programme?

tricky_colour
03/05/2014, 4:11 PM
Well it's always good to have a sweeper at the back.

SkStu
03/05/2014, 4:36 PM
James McClean. Silik Tikum? Tilikum? Silikum? What's a programme?

Selcuk Tidim.

Here is an example of a programme:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/4d/e4/08/4de408f5bfd87a96c0e2ffe1d52f45a1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_programme

CraftyToePoke
03/05/2014, 5:02 PM
Hendrick should be in.

Take your pick from Duffy, Hoban, O'Brien & Kiernan at the back.

Grealish being the potential eye catcher.

Honourable mentions for Murray, Mason, Brady at Hull still has to fully emerge after a season lost to injury largely.

Tets, wasn't Egan released last week ?

liamoo11
04/05/2014, 6:50 AM
alex o hanlon perfect for rogers revolution at liverpool

Olé Olé
04/05/2014, 8:47 AM
I'd go with Hendrick, Duffy and Grealish. The first two have been in senior squads and there's been plenty clamour for a Grealish call-up (for varying reasons, granted). Hence, I'd hope that by 2016 they'll all be fairly influential.

Murray, Kiernan and Hoban have a tad more work to do. Hoban due to injury, Kiernan has only recently come into the frame at Wigan and Murray had a good season this year having blazed a trail the season before last but last season wasn't so hot for him.

If you were to luck at younger, less-established players at senior level then there's been a lot of talk about Cleary, O'Hanlon and McEvoy.

Mason and Ronan Murray have finished the season on strong goal-scoring streaks. Two confidence players it appears. Stick 'em in, it might help their progression!

ArdeeBhoy
05/05/2014, 3:36 PM
Thanks for your suggestions...some more sensible than others.

What's the likelihood of the 3, Duffy, Grealish & Hendrick playing in the end-of-season tour?
The latter being subject to Derby's play-off bid...

Olé Olé
05/05/2014, 7:06 PM
Thanks for your suggestions...some more sensible than others.

What's the likelihood of the 3, Duffy, Grealish & Hendrick playing in the end-of-season tour?
The latter being subject to Derby's play-off bid...

I reckon Hendrick is nailed on. He was left with the under-21's last time a squad was named but he's finished the season strong and O'Neill didn't fancy leaving him as a sub for a friendly when he could have played the full whack of a competitive game.

Ignoring the obvious Derry links, Duffy has been immense for Yeovil and the likes of Richard Dunne and John O'Shea are of the age where I'm sure their bodies are crying out for post-season rest.

Grealish is an interesting one on many levels and opinion is split on the likelihood of him going. I feel League One is that level below the level where we've traditionally selected internationals from. I know he's ripped it up there at times but it's difficult to justify calling him up as being for a reason other than taking steps to cementing him in the Ireland set-up.

I'd guess 2/3. Different circumstances but the last Ireland squad to tour in America was oh so inclusive for so many players who have since failed to progress at both club and country.

ArdeeBhoy
05/05/2014, 10:53 PM
Agreed. Damien Delaney is a relative 'newbie' who must be in the frame too...

ArdeeBhoy
07/05/2014, 12:34 AM
No thoughts on DD? Or he unworthy of the label of one to 'watch' given his advanced vintage...

CraftyToePoke
07/05/2014, 3:28 AM
I think he is a fairly agricultural defender at the wrong end of what is a rough & tumble division outside the top handful, whatever Sky would have you think. He is making the most of what he has, fair play and all luck to him, I admire enormously the way he has rebuilt his career. I hope he eek's out another season or two there but that's all he is likely to do. In terms of international options blossoming he is more of an example of the paucity rather than the bounty of options we have in that CB position presently.

Maybe I am being picky but I was raised on an Ireland that could play Paul McGrath in midfield and ignore David O'Leary entirely for stretches so well stocked were we.

Charlie Darwin
08/05/2014, 5:31 PM
I think you're damning Delaney with faint praise a bit there. Much the same could be said of Richard Dunne - in fact Delaney would be a more cultured player in my estimation. Bear in mind too that Charlton's main reason for playing McGrath in midfield was because he didn't think our midfielders were good enough.

CraftyToePoke
08/05/2014, 6:40 PM
Much the same could be said of Richard Dunne

I don't agree there. I can't see how you will credibly compare those two, but am all ears.

Charlie Darwin
08/05/2014, 6:48 PM
I don't agree there. I can't see how you will credibly compare those two, but am all ears.
A rough and tumble defender plowing the lower reaches of the Premier League. I wasn't comparing the two, I was saying the description was apt for both.

TheOneWhoKnocks
08/05/2014, 7:34 PM
I think he is a fairly agricultural defender at the wrong end of what is a rough & tumble division outside the top handful, whatever Sky would have you think. He is making the most of what he has, fair play and all luck to him, I admire enormously the way he has rebuilt his career. I hope he eek's out another season or two there but that's all he is likely to do. In terms of international options blossoming he is more of an example of the paucity rather than the bounty of options we have in that CB position presently.

Maybe I am being picky but I was raised on an Ireland that could play Paul McGrath in midfield and ignore David O'Leary entirely for stretches so well stocked were we.

11th is mid-table. They could technically even finish in the top-half. Only 6 teams have a better goal difference; 3 by any significant margin.

I think he deserves a bit more credit. He hasn't ever looked out of place at this level. He has been solid for Ireland too.

eitoof
12/05/2014, 3:38 PM
Chris Forrester? I think he has the potential to play for his country at full international level.

ArdeeBhoy
12/05/2014, 7:39 PM
Hear good reports, but realistically are MO'N et al going to pick an EL player directly into the full squad?

Charlie Darwin
12/05/2014, 7:48 PM
Hear good reports, but realistically are MO'N et al going to pick an EL player directly into the full squad?
No, O'Neill has more or less stated as much. In truth, he needs more physical development and arguably a higher standard to play at.

eitoof
20/05/2014, 12:52 PM
No, O'Neill has more or less stated as much. In truth, he needs more physical development and arguably a higher standard to play at.

True, but the OP referred to "prospective influential players".
Forrester has the potential to move on to a much higher level I think.

ArdeeBhoy
20/05/2014, 1:37 PM
Fair point, but is Forrester realistically likely to break through?
My hunch is he will make the lower two divisions in England say, which is a higher standard, but unlikely to make an international impact?

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 1:48 PM
Have you ever seen him play?

CraftyToePoke
20/05/2014, 1:55 PM
Fair point, but is Forrester realistically likely to break through?
My hunch is he will make the lower two divisions in England say, which is a higher standard, but unlikely to make an international impact?

He has a chance, I mean take a look at the squad in the neighbouring thread today, and see how many of our present lads began their football education in LOI. A significant proportion, presently. And some of them key players also.

eitoof
20/05/2014, 2:17 PM
Have you ever seen him play?

Who, me? A few times, mostly in Europe with Pats as I don't actually support Pats. Also, pretty sure I saw him play for Bohs in a European tie. He's very light but has a lot of "potential" (there I am, back to that word again!)

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 2:21 PM
Sorry, no, I was talking AB.

ArdeeBhoy
20/05/2014, 4:11 PM
Yeah, on a few highlights programmes, what eitoof said.

Take the point about LOI, but skill is usually not enough these days. He doesn't look strong enough though, maybe he can put fill out a bit and have a more athletic build...

Charlie Darwin
20/05/2014, 4:36 PM
Bulking up would be a given for any player going to a pro set-up.

SkStu
20/05/2014, 6:45 PM
My hunch is he will make the lower two divisions in England say, which is a higher standard

I'll bite.

No it isn't.

ArdeeBhoy
20/05/2014, 7:04 PM
What isn't...

CraftyToePoke
20/05/2014, 7:23 PM
What isn't...

This, I'd imagine.

My hunch is he will make the lower two divisions in England say, which is a higher standard

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2014, 7:51 PM
My hunch is he will make the lower two divisions in England say, which is a higher standard,

I'd also like to butt in at this point and simply say...wise up.

ifk101
21/05/2014, 7:04 AM
If we are going to compare standards against those on the mainland, the LOI is most comparable in standard to the Scottish Championship imo.

nigel-harps1954
21/05/2014, 9:21 AM
If we are going to compare standards against those on the mainland, the LOI is most comparable in standard to the Scottish Championship imo.

In my very honest opinion, outside of Celtic, there's no club in the SPL who would realistically walk away with the League of Ireland Premier Division.

Most of the Premier clubs here are comparable to the top of half of League One, with the exception of maybe Dundalk and St Pat's, who would be lower Championship standard sides over the course of a full season. Nobody is under any illusions within the League of Ireland that the standard is anything overly amazing, but when people completely disregard it, and say it's a lot worse than it is, that grinds some collective gears.

Stuttgart88
21/05/2014, 10:05 AM
I think the LOI has some good clubs and some are playing super football this season. I just saw that Sligo volley on thescore.ie, a goal that would grace any league anywhere. Dundalk, Pats, Cork, Sligo and Rovers are all doing their bit to make this a super season.

I was at a talk in London last night about the history of the football league playoffs. The speaker said that League Two is the tenth best attended league in the world! Let's take TV and commercial income off the table (League Two is surely earning more on both fronts) and just look at gate money. How on earth can the LOI come close to the tenth best attended league in the world? Let's assume there is a rough correlation between income and standard. I can think of reasons why the correlation would be high, but equally why it may be low. You'd have to conclude that League Two is higher standard overall, but that there are players in LOI who could play quote a bit higher.

Btw, I'd say Aberdeen and Dundee United both would walk the LOI myself, and probably Inverness and Motherwell. Hibs, St. Mirren, Partick and others, maybe not.

eitoof
21/05/2014, 2:48 PM
I was at a talk in London last night about the history of the football league playoffs. The speaker said that League Two is the tenth best attended league in the world!

He was talking through his arse there anyway.

Charlie Darwin
21/05/2014, 3:32 PM
The best average attendance or the best total attendance? I'd say it's nonsense of both counts, but might creep up on total attendance given there are 24 teams.

nigel-harps1954
21/05/2014, 3:54 PM
The best average attendance or the best total attendance? I'd say it's nonsense of both counts, but might creep up on total attendance given there are 24 teams.

League Two average attendance was circa 4,500 for the past season. That's not even in the top ten in Europe, and only 3,000 above League of Ireland.

Charlie Darwin
21/05/2014, 4:04 PM
League Two average attendance was circa 4,500 for the past season. That's not even in the top ten in Europe, and only 3,000 above League of Ireland.
That would make sense then. 4,500 across 24 teams is 2.5 million. That would correspond to about 6,600 in a 20-team league or 8,200 in an 18-team league.

Stuttgart88
21/05/2014, 4:47 PM
I think he was talking total attendance.

Stuttgart88
21/05/2014, 4:49 PM
Only 3,000 :)

I think it's fair to say if LOI crowds were 3,000 higher on average there would be no complaints about the LOI.

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/05/2014, 4:49 PM

That's not even taking into account the fact that they doctor attendances over there, as even a cursory glance at the scores of empty seats every weekend attests to.

peadar1987
21/05/2014, 5:31 PM
Off the top of my head, The Premier League, The Championship, League 1, Ligue 1, La Liga, the Bundesliga, the Eredivisie, Serie A, the Russian Premier League, MLS, the Jupiler League, the Portuguese Premier League, the Danish Premier League, the Allsvenskan and the Tippeligen would all have higher average attendances than 4,500. There are bound to be many more that I haven't thought of in the last ten seconds. Yer man was talking out his hole.

SkStu
21/05/2014, 5:55 PM
why would you look at total attendance anyway? Surely, average attendance is the real indicator.

By the way Stutts, I would not think that using attendance (or income) as the sole indicator to compare the quality of two unrelated leagues (i.e. not part of the same league system) is not an accurate or fair gauge. A consideration, definitely, but you cant QED your argument on that.

By your rationale, League 2 would be better quality than the Croatian, Greek, Swedish and Israeli premier leagues and just behind quite a few others...