PDA

View Full Version : Shels v Cork City Not on TV

eoinh
28/10/2004, 10:42 PM
"For reasons beyond RTES control"

See here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1028/shelscork.html)

Supersonic_779
28/10/2004, 10:44 PM
That explains it :rolleyes:

Éanna
28/10/2004, 10:44 PM
those reasons are that RTE wanted kick off changed to 7 so they could still show their film at half 9, and shels told them where to go. fair play to shels for that, moving a game to suit a friday night film my arse

patsh
29/10/2004, 8:27 AM
From the Indo on unison.ie

SHELBOURNE'S potential title decider against Cork City at Tolka Park this evening will not be televised.
RTE had expressed an interest in broadcasting the game but the Dubliners argued that they had not been given sufficient notice of the request.

They also pointed out that any live broadcast would have a detrimental effect on the gate income for a match which will probably draw the biggest crowd outside of the club's European games this season.

"We'd lose out on revenue if it was on television," argued Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon. "And we're the one who suffer because there isn't adequate compensation provided and we can't afford that."

RTE only approached the club on Wednesday morning after Cork City had completed their seventh successive win in Derry the previous evening, to place them within four points of the leaders.

However, it is believed that Shelbourne would only be offered a paltry €5,000 as compensation for broadcasting the match. RTE do possess domestic rights for league football but Shelbourne clearly feel that these rights cannot supersede those of the club.

"We've all our advertising done for this match three weeks ago," explained Shelbourne secretary Ollie Byrne. "We can't just drop everything two days before the match and take a big hit on everything."

This is not a new problem within the Eircom League and one suggestion Byrne agrees with is a more co-ordinated plan from the broadcasters and the Eircom League with regard to the live broadcast of games.

$Leon$
29/10/2004, 8:35 AM
its a disgrace. how is the el ment to grow and reach bigger audiences when our national broadcaster won't televise live a top of the table clash so near to the end of the season. with the weather the way it is this game would prob have drawn bigger crowds than most due to the fact that alot more people would be infront of a telly than usually would be on a fri night at 730

rerun
29/10/2004, 8:38 AM
I was surprised to see the Aertel page last night and have to admit that I was starting to blame RTE couldn't be bothered goign out in the rain (is Tolka playable today ?). Disappointed that it's just a kick off issue. Can't believe they don't shift everything back 30 minutes and drop one of the repeats that they are showing later in the night, e.g. The Dinner Party, come to think of that, they should drop that altogether.

I was going to rant about the fact that the football might not be for everyone, but it's not like they have something interesting or a blockbuster on, Boiler Room (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181984/) , never heard of it. We're lucky that at this stage in the season that there are games that could decide the destination of the league title, they should be on TV.

And to make it worse, I have to pay my TV license today, €152 down the drain...

rerun
29/10/2004, 8:45 AM
From the Indo on unison.ie

SHELBOURNE'S potential title decider against Cork City at Tolka Park this evening will not be televised.
RTE had expressed an interest in broadcasting the game but the Dubliners argued that they had not been given sufficient notice of the request.

Bahhh!!!! Whose fault is it ? There I was blaming RTE, now I'm starting to think that it's $h€l$ depriving the footballing public of Friday night football. RTE only want to show it cause it could bring Cork within one point of $h€l$, and thats fair enough. How many people did they get at the gate for the Bohs game a few weeks ago? That should have been a sell out even though it was on TV. How can they expect to get a sell out when the away supporters have to travel the length of the country, I'd bet there will be less Cork lads there than there were Bohs fans the other week, but that's perfectly unstandable.

Come on Cork!!!

eoinh
29/10/2004, 4:56 PM
why didnt they approach Shels earlier (before the Derry game ) and said if cork city win we want to cover the game? That would have given shels a weeks notice rather than just over one day. That takes brains I suppose. :rolleyes:

higgins
29/10/2004, 7:06 PM
You lads crack me up every time...

Not all of you are hypocrites but some of you are using the $hel$ in a sentence and moaning that Ollie didn't take the money???

The lack of common sense from some Cork fans is absurd....

Ollie gets attacked for taking money and shels get slagged for having money (not that they even do!!)

But when Ollie refuses 5,000 to sell out the fans that are already banking on a 7:45 kick off he still gets blamed...

Is there no pleasing Cork fans?
Next to the Derry shower you are the most unhappy bitterest fans in the league,,,

eoinh
29/10/2004, 7:14 PM
Virtually everyone was agreeing with Ollie (for once). RTE were trying to take shels and the league for a ride.

higgins
29/10/2004, 7:16 PM
nearly everyone!!!

I just dont think there is any pleasing a section of your fans as is the same with a section of the Derry fans....

"
There I was blaming RTE, now I'm starting to think that it's $h€l$ depriving the footballing public of Friday night football. RTE only want to show it cause it could bring Cork within one point of $h€l$, and thats fair enough. How many people did they get at the gate for the Bohs game a few weeks ago? That should have been a sell out even though it was on TV. How can they expect to get a sell out when the away supporters have to travel the length of the country, I'd bet there will be less Cork lads there than there were Bohs fans the other week, but that's perfectly unstandable.
"

RedX
30/10/2004, 9:10 PM
higgins..relax will you..in fairness nearly everyone agrees that RTE are a bunch of cheapscates and we all agree that Shels were right in there actions...you must also understand there is of course going to be some difference in opinion from Cork and Derry fans towards Shels because we have a LOT more fans than you and there are so many of us floating around these forums....... ;)

A face
30/10/2004, 9:47 PM
Catch 22 .... TV will gather more fans for eL clubs in the long run but clubs playing in big games will lose the big gates.

All the eL clubs should be geting money at the start of every season from RTE/TV3 etc. to be allowed show games and then leave them pick what games they want to pick. The times shouldn't be an issue as RTE know the kickoff times ... i agree clubs should try and accomidate RTE where possible but that should decision should be with the club (i.e. Shels last night made a good decision)

Higgins ... in fairness most of the time you make good points but calm down man willya. You always run help long into an argument. Chill the bean feen !!

higgins
30/10/2004, 11:28 PM
It just seems childish that there is still people knocking shels in the decision...

Sometimes there are decisions that some will like and some will not like and I can see why shels fans will back shels and other teams fans will go against them...

This one, out of all of them (and thanks to ollie there have been many!!) appears to be black and white,,

5000 for that game to be on tv at 7:00 makes no sense and for anyone to attach blame to shels/ollie over it they must have some other issues or are not thinking straight!

I suggested already on the shels message board that for live games there is a fee involved such as your €5000 but also factored in is about 10 to 20% of the gate ???

so for a crowd of 2000 paying about €25,000 between them , RTE / TV3 etc have to pay about 20% to the home team due to loss of gate??

Éanna
30/10/2004, 11:31 PM
its very rare that I agree with anything Shelbourne FC does, but I think in this case they were spot on in telling RTE where to go.

ShelsTim
30/10/2004, 11:44 PM
Don't be content with Shels telling them where to go, tell them yourselves:

sport@rte.ie

It's a disgrace and RTE should know it.

RedX
31/10/2004, 4:59 PM
ShelsTim..i honestly cannot see RTE listening to much of our views on this subject..until there is genuine competition and interest shown from other stations(TV3)they will continue to THINK thy can offer pittance to our clubs..for a man that gets a lot of criticism i say well done to Olly Byrne and Shelbourne FC..

A face
31/10/2004, 5:29 PM
The FAI are to blame aswell lads, They should have nailed down a good deal for football in this country. International games could be shown but they should be made show 30 league games (20 permier, 10 first) and at least the cup semis and final and 3 other cup games. and 50% of any euro games.

I think that it'll have to be a shove turned to kick in the árse to get RTE/TV3 in gear. Setanta is great but not widely available.

Éanna
31/10/2004, 11:18 PM
no way we should have that many live games Face. The quality just isn't there. Wattching some of the shíte on tv would nearly put you off it, and certainly won't attract neutrals. Also, the camera positions etc need work. The FAI should make a deal for about 10 games a season, plus one from each round of the FAI cup, but they should only allow game to be shown from grounds which commit to providing proper tv facilities- i.e. studio and camera positions. watching two fellas standing under an umbrella on the halfway line is embarassing.