PDA

View Full Version : Change one letter, make a new word

Eminence Grise
23/04/2014, 12:13 PM
Some years back, the Washington Post ran a word game where readers took a word and changed it to make a new word, complete with new definition. Some of the winners from the original list were

Reintarnation – coming back to life as a hillbilly.
Sarchasm: the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Doltergeist: a spirit that decides to haunt someplace stupid, such as your septic tank.

More winning clever-clogs are here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/invitational/invit980802.htm

The rules are simple:

You can only make one change to the original word by adding, changing or deleting a single letter
The new word must have a sensible meaning.

So, to get the ball rolling...

Delanky – a tall, thin type of executive whose management style is loved by some, loathed by others.
Lobying – getting the ear of a county councillor to secure political favours.
Footbalk – when you refuse to believe that your team has conceded a fifth goal.
Exsample – when you sleep with your ex, to see if your new squeeze is better or worse than him/her.

OwlsFan
23/04/2014, 4:10 PM
Moes - where you for a pint of Duff when you've been sacked from a job you were never up to but nevertheless get a multi-million pound pay off.

stann
25/04/2014, 11:52 PM
Cheers EG, good idea.
Some humble contributions (am actually secretly inordinatedly chuffed with one of these):

Refereek - an official that riles you to the point of petulance.
Looche - Descriptive of someone who can retain their raffish, roguish charm, even when on the toilet.
Slaundry - collective term for those items of clothing (usually single socks) that go into the dryer one day, and are never seen again.
Radiob - Ivan Yates.

Eminence Grise
26/04/2014, 2:00 PM
Brilliant - love refereek!

the 12 th man
26/04/2014, 3:18 PM
Britch---- A mouthy drunk teenage girl on The Tube giving out yards to everybody.

Eminence Grise
26/04/2014, 10:21 PM
So, go on, Stann, which one are you proudest of? Took me a few moments to get the bilingual twist in slaundry.

BonnieShels
27/04/2014, 4:32 AM
I'd wager Slaundry. That's my favourite.

osarusan
28/04/2014, 5:32 AM
Tossler - dislikeable German midfielder.

stann
28/04/2014, 10:35 PM
Like slaundry now too, but at the time radiob made me chuckle, though I do rather like the breakfast NT show. Maybe it was too much coiffee*.

* Coiffee - one of those overly-fancified beverages with a styling that would put Dusty Springfield to shame.

BonnieShels
29/04/2014, 1:05 AM
Seepy- being so tired it feel like your brain is dripping out your ears. I'm currently wading through those muddy waters now.

Eminence Grise
29/04/2014, 3:45 PM
Was feeling very seepy, so I had a coiffee, and these came to mind...

Dopinion - the ill-thought out and badly expressed views of an idiot

Abscurity - when you can't see a six-pack in the mirror

A N Mouse
02/05/2014, 2:37 PM
Liking this.

On this particular one

You can only make one change to the original word by adding, changing or deleting a single letter
The new word must have a sensible meaning.

There was something similar on bbc radio 4, which spawned a book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brief-History-Tim-World-Letter/dp/0753522683), the difference being removing one letter froma word or phrase - hence the title of the book - A Brief History of Tim

Back on topic

Sheepslagger - unhappy Finn Harps fan

The Donie Forde
02/05/2014, 9:17 PM
Sourinho: Manager who takes defeat badly.

SkStu
03/05/2014, 2:51 PM
Waniker - when someone refers to "that w@nker", "that pr*ck" etc everyone immediately knows who is being talked about.

CraftyToePoke
04/05/2014, 4:04 AM
Dualogues - when spinning yarns two at a time.

BonnieShels
05/05/2014, 12:00 AM
Waniker - when someone refers to "that w@nker", "that pr*ck" etc everyone immediately knows who is being talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfkynJ4hbI

OwlsFan
20/03/2015, 2:56 PM
Piles - a right pain in the ars'

nigel-harps1954
20/03/2015, 5:48 PM
Blandishes - When an away fan whips out a new flag or banner on match day and it just isn't to your taste

Eminence Grise
02/04/2015, 9:18 PM
Brayzenly - the optimum way of bringing the League of Ireland into disrepute.

Eminence Grise
22/04/2015, 10:40 AM
Some good ones at this link - 'askhole' had me snorting out loud! - even though some have more than a single letter change.

http://www.demilked.com/new-modern-funny-random-words-portmanteus/

SkStu
23/04/2015, 12:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfkynJ4hbI

Sorry...just seeing this now. As in moniker

stann
23/04/2015, 2:36 PM
Second one is a couple of letters, only one syllable though...

Brill - A restaurant tab that, when it arrives, is not nearly as big as you expected
Mozery - Your state of mind when "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" says everything to you about your life.
Munce - Mince that's been in the fridge for a while...

Eminence Grise
10/05/2015, 4:15 PM
A nincomplete - one of my students who hands me up two-thirds of their work, and still thinks they're going to get a good grade.

Eminence Grise
31/08/2015, 5:14 PM
Meanderthal – a creature who shuffles out in front of traffic to ramble across the street. May act surprised at the presence of cars and mutter bestial sounds when challenged by drivers.

OwlsFan
01/09/2015, 9:49 AM
Piles, someone who has been an pundit for so long that he's developed hemorrhoids from sitting on his backside.

OwlsFan
13/11/2015, 12:36 PM
Yule, a sort of donkey which only appears in Christmas plays.

Eminence Grise
04/02/2019, 8:38 AM
Adminton.

A game where a heavy bureaucracy challenges you to deal with more and more things served up to you.

Yep, it's one hour into Monday morning and already the inbox is overheating. Good job I have this site for avoidance strategies!:cool: