PDA

View Full Version : Supporters Club: Meeting on Tuesday Nov 9th

Pages : [1] 2

Colm
02/11/2004, 11:10 AM
Apparently there was a bit of a mix up and it was always set for next Tuesday!!

So it's the Ovens bar at 7.30pm on Tuesday the 9th of November.

Colm
02/11/2004, 11:11 AM
well, this is getting off to a great start!

No need to be so cynical Joe!

Pablo
02/11/2004, 2:40 PM
[QUOTE=This organisation will be the biggest in the country regardless of how many knockers we have cause we have huge numbers for it already.
[/QUOTE]

imagine if all your friends get involved too!

nice one sham
02/11/2004, 3:53 PM
i'll probably go to this, sounds like a good idea.

joe
02/11/2004, 4:12 PM
No need to be so cynical Joe!

not being cynical at all and 'Guerzy' has cleared up his mistake.

I'm still wondering about this 'officially approved' tag and who's running it though - any further info there?

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:20 PM
I'm still wondering about this 'officially approved' tag and who's running it though - any further info there?

Gary Cogan is the man who's leading the charge to set it up.
Who's running it will be decided at the first meeting I suppose.

I find it quite hard to explain the 'offically approved' tag myself, I suppose the best way to put it is that it's being run by the fans with the club giving it offical status.

joe
02/11/2004, 4:23 PM
I find it quite hard to explain the 'offically approved' tag myself, I suppose the best way to put it is that it's being run by the fans with the club giving it offical status.

so it's the kind of 'official supporters club' that most people on here are aghast at getting involved in?

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:25 PM
so it's the kind of 'official supporters club' that most people on here are aghast at getting involved in?

That remains to be seen.
If it's like the last offical supporters club yes, if it's different no.
It's worth giving it a try anyway.

joe
02/11/2004, 4:27 PM
That remains to be seen.

as in?

without doubt

A face
02/11/2004, 4:27 PM
That remains to be seen.

In a nutshell !!

I commend you Colm !! :D

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:28 PM
as in?

More fan friendly.

joe
02/11/2004, 4:28 PM
More fan friendly.

explain please

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:37 PM
explain please

The last supporters club never really offered fans an incentive to join and never really made a lot of people feel involved enough.
A lot of the time only a handful turned up (the CCISA suffered in the same way) and not much was ever really achieved (apart form the lotto which is great) in the eyes of most City fans.

I think the aim of a new supporters club should be to get as many people as possible involved no matter where the stand in the ground, who they do or don't know, how they travel to away games etc etc.
Everyone can then bring they're own ideas and believe me there are already a hell of a lot of good ideas of ways of making money for fans stuff and for the club itself. The thing is that everyone needs to get involved for these ideas to be put into practice.

I don't know if I'm making much sense here to be honest but I think that with the right numbers and the right ideas this could be a really good thing. It's best to discuss all this at the meeting, hopefully it will be a success and don't worry if it ends up being a shambles I'll be the first to say so.

At least it seems as if everyone is willing to give it a try anyway?

James
02/11/2004, 4:40 PM
Perception of a closed shop / old boys network of ppl involved with the old official supporters club
Perception of an older age group involved, possibly unwelcoming to new younger members
Personality clashes with some personalities involved in old official club

this was a much debated topic b4 from memory

I'm definately going to give this supporters thingy a shot because imo its a great idea. BUT it depends what kinda role and direction it takes
if its merely another arm of the club with its main priorities as fund raising / albeit through selling programmes / lotto tickets etc (all which are vital and essential and noble aspects of the day to day running of the club) OR is it gona be fan and supporter driven.. ala getting a communtiy aspect to city fans.. something to do outside of city games..for city fans..

Joe - what would you see as the goals / roles / functions of a supporters club in your opinion?

Colm
02/11/2004, 4:42 PM
Perception of a closed shop / old boys network of ppl involved with the old official supporters club
Perception of an older age group involved, possibly unwelcoming to new younger members
Personality clashes with some personalities involved in old official club

That's what I was trying to say. :D

A face
02/11/2004, 4:50 PM
More fan friendly.

To be totally honest .... i dont think this needs explaining in the slightest.

The should be no reading between the lines and no secret handshakes or any other kind of bólloxology that people come out with.

Fan friendly is ....... wait for it ....... Fan friendly

joe
02/11/2004, 4:53 PM
Joe - what would you see as the goals / roles / functions of a supporters club in your opinion?

I'll come back to you later when I have some more time to put it all together.

James
02/11/2004, 4:55 PM

I'll look forward greatly to reading it :)

thecorner
02/11/2004, 5:58 PM
im up for giving it a go but i cant make any meetings so what happens then??

colblimp
02/11/2004, 6:05 PM
Well! Not a great start is it lads....

If this is how it's going to be, changing minds at the last minute, then I think whoever's organising the damn thing needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Not impressed.....hmmm.

Fair_play_boy
02/11/2004, 6:43 PM
. . . what would you see as the goals / roles / functions of a supporters club in your opinion?Presumably this question is open for others to answer too? My tuppence worth is this.
1. Represent supporters' views to the club for example in a fans' forum with chairman and manager present. (I think Derry City does this)
2. Plan and try out ways of increasing the number of people who support City regularly. This may involve recommending certain policies and initiatives to the club itself.
3. Support for Noelle Feeney to keep in touch with supporters' opinions, and to help her in the community liaison stuff.
4. Liaison with the oppositions' supporters clubs for home and away matches, to ensure good relations are maintained. Much as some people like to talk the talk of hatred of certain clubs, the game is not about that in the real world.
5. Make european odyssey trips more within reach of the average pocket. Do this by setting up a not-for-profit scheme with technical assistance from people in the tourism industry. Lee Travel may be proud sponsors etc, but there must be a way to follow our team to Europe without breaking the bank.
6. Spread the singing bug further around the ground. I swear I hear some people in DF mumbling the words of some of the better known songs. They are there to be encouraged. A few more big drums and willing singers, and we will have "When Johnny Comes Marching Down The Wing" in super surround sound at the Cross. :p
Those are just a few thoughts. It is unlikely that I will get out to the meeting but I will support the club when it gets off the ground.

Colm
02/11/2004, 7:15 PM
If Ian Sheehan isn't involved in this then the whole bus idea probably won't work because he's doing such a good job at the moment. I'd be interested in knowing what these other ideas are though.

I agree but I think Ian is keen to get involved alright.

Corner, nobody said all the meetings will be on Tuesday nights!!

colblimp
02/11/2004, 8:08 PM
Presumably this question is open for others to answer too? My tuppence worth is this.
1. Represent supporters' views to the club for example in a fans' forum with chairman and manager present. (I think Derry City does this)
2. Plan and try out ways of increasing the number of people who support City regularly. This may involve recommending certain policies and initiatives to the club itself.
3. Support for Noelle Feeney to keep in touch with supporters' opinions, and to help her in the community liaison stuff.
4. Liaison with the oppositions' supporters clubs for home and away matches, to ensure good relations are maintained. Much as some people like to talk the talk of hatred of certain clubs, the game is not about that in the real world.
5. Make european odyssey trips more within reach of the average pocket. Do this by setting up a not-for-profit scheme with technical assistance from people in the tourism industry. Lee Travel may be proud sponsors etc, but there must be a way to follow our team to Europe without breaking the bank.
6. Spread the singing bug further around the ground. I swear I hear some people in DF mumbling the words of some of the better known songs. They are there to be encouraged. A few more big drums and willing singers, and we will have "When Johnny Comes Marching Down The Wing" in super surround sound at the Cross. :p
Those are just a few thoughts. It is unlikely that I will get out to the meeting but I will support the club when it gets off the ground.

Lads, I think we've found a secretary!

Great ideas FPB, it's just a shame you can't be at the meeting. Can we vote for somebody who is absent?!!

As for "no buses without Ian", if Ian is involved in the 'club' then great. If not, why do things have to change? Just because he isn't in 'our gang' doesn't mean his buses stop!!

Roll on next Tuesday. :D

Fair_play_boy
02/11/2004, 8:31 PM
Lads, I think we've found a secretary! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SÓC
02/11/2004, 8:54 PM
FPB's missus will have to be consulted:D

thecorner
02/11/2004, 9:02 PM
Some member you'd be. :D

eh..............working nights ;)

Fair_play_boy
02/11/2004, 9:04 PM
FPB's missus will have to be consulted:D . . . and bought copious amounts of brandy, and that is just by you guys :p

Éanna
02/11/2004, 10:48 PM
I wish it all the best, but my experience is that city fans are a lazy shower who want everything done for them. look at the hassle FourFiveOne has getting contributions or even getting people to help with the flags etc. I tried so hard with the last supporters club to get more people involved, but people just used excuses of it being a closed shop to avoid making any effort. I hope it works, but forgive me if my experience has made me very cynical

A face
02/11/2004, 11:03 PM
I wish it all the best, but my experience is that city fans are a lazy shower who want everything done for them. look at the hassle FourFiveOne has getting contributions or even getting people to help with the flags etc. I tried so hard with the last supporters club to get more people involved, but people just used excuses of it being a closed shop to avoid making any effort. I hope it works, but forgive me if my experience has made me very cynical

Agreed with most of that but ....... BUT i reckon it could be different this time around. Because it is start of anew ..... there is no excuse for people, they are either in or out.

Also ..... i'd push to have a huge element of the club to be recruitment of other members. That was just not happening in the last club. And anyone that says other wise is a lair. I never once saw a membership form barr annual membership renewal and even at that time there was no effort put in. Pathetic !!

Anyway lads .... there is no point in having any hang ups at this stage. If you want to join and think you'd make a difference or for whatever reason, just come along. Dont look for something to moan about.

Éanna
02/11/2004, 11:18 PM
Also ..... i'd push to have a huge element of the club to be recruitment of other members. That was just not happening in the last club. And anyone that says other wise is a lair. I never once saw a membership form barr annual membership renewal and even at that time there was no effort put in. Pathetic !!
totally untrue. I myself printed 500 membership forms and myself and two others handed them out (I think with programmes) near the end of the season, asking people to get involved in the following season and we did not get one single reply. We DID make the effort, but as i said, I think City fans are just too lazy in general and the "its a closed shop" and "they never made an effort to attract new members" were lazy people's excuses that became fact because I and others just gave up when faced with that kind of attitude.

A face
02/11/2004, 11:44 PM
totally untrue. I myself printed 500 membership forms and myself and two others handed them out (I think with programmes) near the end of the season, asking people to get involved in the following season and we did not get one single reply. We DID make the effort, but as i said, I think City fans are just too lazy in general and the "its a closed shop" and "they never made an effort to attract new members" were lazy people's excuses that became fact because I and others just gave up when faced with that kind of attitude.

Eanna ... what season ..... i'd hazard a guess and say about five seasons ago .... and then an abrupt end. If i remember (correct me if i'm wrong) was it the year you went to Limerick ?
Totally honest with you Eanna ... it was a pet hate of mine from day one, i made a point at suggesting it at every meeting for a year, i was at the stage where whenever i was on RedBoys ... foot.ie where ever, and i noticed one or two people concerned on there, i'd post a thread ranting about people joining and giving out to provoke reaction. Did i ever get one ...... ??????? in a word .... No Fúcking Way.

There was talk of getting a programme page solely for supporters club and a membership form there all the time. Didn't happen .... and any other suggestion ... didn't happen. I suggested loose in the programme and i offered to put them in myself ... nothing doing.

I buy the programme all the time (think i have missed about 3-4 in the last few years) and if i had missed it then i would have heard about it.

Basically .... the old club = no effort.

patsh
03/11/2004, 8:17 AM
Can I make a suggestion?
By holding meetings in a pub, you are automatically excluding the potentially largest membership group.
A lot of the people who go to away games, i.e. the most active fans, are under 18, and will not be allowed in to pubs in the city after 8:00.

Even though I cannot make the meeting, I would like to hear what the organisers have to say first, not try to have the split BEFORE the meeting...;)

Colm
03/11/2004, 8:42 AM
Can I make a suggestion?
By holding meetings in a pub, you are automatically excluding the potentially largest membership group.
A lot of the people who go to away games, i.e. the most active fans, are under 18, and will not be allowed in to pubs in the city after 8:00.

Excellent point actually and one which I don't think really crossed anyone elses mind. As you say some of these under 18's are some of the most active fans and go to a hell of a lot more games than some of the older crowd who might be interested in joining. They probably would have a lot of ideas aswell and would derive greater benefit from the SC than the 'home game only' supporters. I mean it would be a shame to exclude them alright.

Obviously the first meeting will go ahead as planned but does anyone have any ideas about an alternative venue for future meetings??

Fair_play_boy
03/11/2004, 2:43 PM
Obviously the first meeting will go ahead as planned but does anyone have any ideas about an alternative venue for future meetings??In UCC. I am sure the supporters club there would book a room for us and host the meeting. And the culture would do us no harm either. :p And there is a bar at each end of the campus. :D

thecorner
03/11/2004, 3:26 PM
Obviously the first meeting will go ahead as planned but does anyone have any ideas about an alternative venue for future meetings??

y not have it in the leisureplex :D

Fair_play_boy
03/11/2004, 4:29 PM
Correct me someone if I'm wrong but i don't think they can book a room or anything because they are have not been approved as a club or society by UCC.Hmm. I suppose they could invite the Societies Guild to attend the meeting to tell us what their problem is in giving the CCFC supporters club official status. :D

James
04/11/2004, 10:14 AM

anyword Joseph ? :)

A face
04/11/2004, 11:35 PM
I reckon it would be a good idea for people with any ideas/events/activities they would like to see materialise, to write them down and raise them as points to be considered at the meeting.

Probably stating the obvious but sure theres no harm in that is there !! :p

shezer
05/11/2004, 12:57 PM
Alright boys!Just registered there!Whats the story with the meeting?Whats it about?

joe
05/11/2004, 1:50 PM
anyword Joseph ? :)

I'd say you ll be waiting James. It looks like theirs a 50 page memo coming out of this one

see previous post. we don't all hang around foot.ie all day every day :D

James
05/11/2004, 1:57 PM
well i aint looking for nor indeed expecting a 50 page answer or anything like it. just a few thoughts thats all.
this issue was knocking about a fair bit in the past and for quite a while.
just didnt think it wud require such a long and hard thinking process tbh.

surely its something you've thought about b4?

joe
07/11/2004, 6:25 PM
I was asked recently what I would see as the goals / roles / functions of a supporters club. Still not sure why ask me specifically, but I said I’d reply so here’s some nonsensical rambling:

First off, pigeon-holing is a pet-hate of mine and can be a dangerous occupation, eg say it often and loud enough that a supporters club is a closed shop and people will start to believe it. There is no hard and fast rule for what a supporters club should be but there are plenty of things a supporters club could be.

One important aspect is the status of any supporters club. It can be official or unofficial, and there are cases for both, but, imho, there is no half-way house. Either way there are certain ground rules you have to obey if you claim to be a Cork City supporters club (because you are representing the club); they just differ if you’re going to be official or unofficial.

An active supporters club is something that City badly needs. It’s something we don’t have at the moment that a lot of other clubs do. When you think about the amount of work that volunteers/ordinary fans do for this club you can see how they have contributed to the recent progress, be that in some sort of official capacity, getting a bit more active on matchday, supporting fundraisers, etc. A supporters club would enhance this aspect of the club to no end (eg the last official supporters club provided a lot of people with a path into their current roles, if you like) and that goes for any official or unofficial supporters club.

Fundamentally a supporters club brings a certain type of supporter together; the type that cares that bit more than your regular punter. The average fan goes to Turners Cross every second Friday, probably makes occasional trips further-a-field, might buy the programme, or even a Lotto or half-time draw ticket, but probably does little else. Doesn’t think too much about City during the week, how they might do certain things better, how they’re making a balls of other things and that’s fine. People are entitled to support the club as much, or as little, as they want.

However, by stepping up to the plate and joining a supporters club you are saying that you care more. That you want a better deal for supporters. That you think you can make a difference. That you think there is something worth getting involved in. Whatever really, because there are lots of different ways a supporters club can go. Lots of things for it to get involved in.

There appears to be a common misconception that a supporters club is some sort of way of ‘tricking’ people into doing work for the club. I can only presume that in the past some people got this perception and it snowballed from there. Any supporters club role, official or not, is decided by it’s members. At the end of the day it will be down to the members to decide what the supporters club does, and does not, get involved in. Personally, I hope it sets no boundaries to begin with and sees what way the dice roll. I would also hope that it is not a closed shop and that it is open to all supporters to participate, if they so wish.

A face
07/11/2004, 10:12 PM
Fair play Joe ....... very well put

At the end of the day it will be down to the members to decide what the supporters club does, and does not, get involved in.

Thats about right i'd say ... it is up to who ever gets involved.

GavinZac
08/11/2004, 8:12 AM
Correct me someone if I'm wrong but i don't think they can book a room or anything because they are have not been approved as a club or society by UCC.
true, we havent been recognised yet, but actually anybody can book a room there, either for a fee or free with 4 weeks notice. just ask at reception.

just to note again that there will be a meeting of the CCS Society UCC in the new bar @ 5pm on tuesday the 9th. we'll be standing by the door so you WILL see us if you come. please do attend, if we get one good meeting we'll be sorted for approval by the guild. certain high-profile members of this board, take note.

A face
08/11/2004, 12:22 PM
certain high-profile members

:D .... :p

thecorner
08/11/2004, 1:33 PM
just a thought but wouldnt this meeting have been better organised for after the game tonight. might have got a lot more people to attend

thecorner
08/11/2004, 1:46 PM
And where would you have the meeting

thats not my choice

im not here to think, im here to offer opinions ;)

Neil
08/11/2004, 1:47 PM
thats not my choice

im not here to think, im here to offer opinions ;)
:D

And a fine job you do!

thecorner
08/11/2004, 1:50 PM
:D

And a fine job you do!

cant u just feel the sarcasm ;)

thecorner
08/11/2004, 2:03 PM
It's official is what I've been told....end of debate.

does this mean they will be getting involved with ian on the buses and somebody "officail" from the club will be travelling on them, watching everything and eventually people getting barred from bus trips

dont like the sound of that