In welcoming Mr Clarkson as a
shareholder, Chairman Tony Maguire said
that this was a very significant day
for the club as it paves the way for
the ultimate completion of the Stadium
facility in Tallaght.

Further announcements will follow over
the next few weeks.

That's from aertel. Could their days of wondering be over? Anyone know who Conor Clarkson is?

'74KA
28/10/2004, 10:55 AM
Excellent news,if true!How many false dawns has there been over the last few years alone? :(

Roo69
28/10/2004, 11:03 AM
Excellent news,if true!How many false dawns has there been over the last few years alone? :(

It's true alright, great news for Rovers and the eL that people arewilling to pump so much money into the league ! fair play.

The only info i could find on your man Clarkson is that he is heavily involved in horse racing (owns Kicking King and The Emotional Moment)

Poor Student
28/10/2004, 11:19 AM
It's true alright, great news for Rovers and the eL that people arewilling to pump so much money into the league ! fair play.

The only info i could find on your man Clarkson is that he is heavily involved in horse racing (owns Kicking King and The Emotional Moment)

Yes if the figure quoted is true that is great. I wonder is he a Rovers man himself. He must be as you're not going to see any return on your investement in anything other than emotional terms I'd imagine. How big is this Tallaght stadium supposed to be anyway?

thejollyrodger
28/10/2004, 12:08 PM
some good news !!

Businessman buys into Shamrock Rovers
http://dynimg.rte.ie/00002ed6170.jpg
Shamrock Rovers' stadium under construction in Tallaght
Thursday, October 28 2004 10:49

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1028/shamrockrovers.html
Shamrock Rovers Football Club have announced that businessman Conor Clarkson has become a significant shareholder in the club.

It is understood Mr Clarkson has put over €9 million into the Hoops.

In welcoming Mr Clarkson as a shareholder, Chairman Tony Maguire said that this was a very significant day for the club as it paves the way for the ultimate completion of the stadium facility in Tallaght.

Further announcements will follow over the next few weeks.

Shamrock Rovers have been homeless since April 1987, when the then owners of the club sold their home ground at Glenmalure Park, Milltown. The club has since played home games at a number of venues in Dublin including Tolka Park, Dalymount Park, Richmond Park, the RDS and Morton Stadium.

Filed by Mark O'Neill-Cummins

manic da hoop
28/10/2004, 12:11 PM
The feeling among Hoops fans in general at the moment is one of cautious optimism (with cautious underlined). The fact is, we don't really know who this Clarkson guy is. We do know that he is heading up a pension fund which was lined up by the club over a year ago. However, the only contact there has been up until now has taken place in strictest confidence with the club's board only. With regard to the €9m - well is it a straight-up investment in the club, or simply a loan which the club has to repay, possibly with interest, further down the line?

At the moment we are holding fire, at least until we know more about our new investor who, incedentally, is now also a club shareholder. What we do know is that the stadium is now secure, but on what terms remains to be seen.

dapman1
28/10/2004, 12:12 PM
Nine million sounds like an awful lot to invest in any team in the league, but if its true then great. A strong Rovers playing in a new stadium is exactly what the league needs.When will the money be available and when will building restart?

joeSoap
28/10/2004, 12:19 PM
He's a director of this crowd http://www.fen.ie/index.html so, you'd imagine he's a shrewd operator when it comes to property investment...be great to see Tallaght stadium finished anyway..

FlyingColumnist
28/10/2004, 1:38 PM
Shamrock Rovers have announced a new deal with an investor that will see them complete their stadium in Tallaght.

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 1:46 PM
good news, i suppose.

NorthoftheLee
28/10/2004, 1:58 PM
it is good news and i hope that it finally goes through. The majority of the rovers fans deserve it after what they have had to put up with ober the last near 20 years. It will be good for the league too. Another club with a home and a local support base to work off can only be good for the long term improvement of the league.

A face
28/10/2004, 2:25 PM
I'd be inclined to stay quite on this one a while, SRFC have been through the ringer already .... they have had their fair share up to now.

Slash/ED
28/10/2004, 3:13 PM
I wont believe it until I'm watching Shels away to Rovers in Tallaght, but it's superb if it's true.

Roo69
28/10/2004, 3:14 PM
I'd be inclined to stay quite on this one a while, SRFC have been through the ringer already .... they have had their fair share up to now.

I'd tend to agree with you on this but would'nt say they would come out with names and figures if the deal had'nt been signed on the dotted line etc

thecorner
28/10/2004, 4:06 PM
why start a second thread on this :confused:

dancinpants
28/10/2004, 4:35 PM
If it comes to fruition then it can only be good for the league and its image!!!

NY Hoop
28/10/2004, 5:10 PM
Think it's great news. APPARENTLY the money will be used to build both touchline stands and to clear all debts but the full details arent available yet. As I've said for years I'll believe it when I'm watching the Hoops there. He is a businessman so he's not in it to lose money.

Further info on Clarkson at www.clarksonfinancial.com

KOH

fosterdollar
28/10/2004, 5:19 PM
Further info on Clarkson at www.clarksonfinancial.com

KOH

Does it not make you nervous for the stadium when every link off that site says:

Apologies, this section is currently under development.

NY Hoop
28/10/2004, 5:46 PM
:D Have faith young man! He's the messiah and if he isnt I can shoot into his office from here :D :D

KOH

eoinh
28/10/2004, 6:05 PM
Delighted for Rovers. Apparently hes becoming a shareholder but will have no say about the running of the club. Hes just interested in developing the ground as a leisure complex.

Whats the chances he gets hooked though :D into the football side of things. Emotions are terrible!

I wonder did shels and citys run in Europe help to persuade him?

rebelnorrie
28/10/2004, 6:26 PM
I Wish Them Luck,i Got Slated For Saying This Last Year But I Personally Would Hate To See Rovers Go Bust,theyre A Great Clubwith A Great Tradition,they Just Have A Bunch Of Scum Following Them!!but Serious,i Love The Rovers V City Games,the League Wouldnt Be The Same Without Them And For A While It Looked Like They Were On The Way Out.

WeAreRovers
28/10/2004, 6:51 PM
I wonder did shels and citys run in Europe help to persuade him?

No, he's the famous "Pension Fund Guy" that you may have heard of. This deal's been in the pipeline for 18 months or so.

KOH

Éanna
28/10/2004, 6:59 PM
THREADS MERGED.
Éanna

onceahoop
28/10/2004, 11:19 PM
17 years of broken promises. I'll believe it when I see it.

trevy
01/11/2004, 12:03 PM
Judging by the chants of the Rovers fans yesterday they are not convinced and were chanting 'Liar,liar Tony Maguire and Tallaght soon you're having a laugh and shouting abuse at the directors.There was a bit of taunting over going down but I think most domestic soccer fans would much rather Shamrock Rovers stay up and get in to the new stadium and get out of the mess they are in at the moment.

NY Hoop
01/11/2004, 5:13 PM
Apparently the deal wasnt even signed and even one of the directors admitted to this yesterday :mad:

The saga continues.............

KOH