PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up For The Cork City!

FlyingColumnist
28/10/2004, 9:06 AM
What is it about football that makes some people need to spurt out noxious abuse at other teams and their supporters? Some of the rants on this forum are an embarrassment to our club. The “we fcuking hate Shelbourne” thread is pathetic. City have thousands of supporters who are passionate about football, interested in the League of Ireland and supportive of efforts to make attending Irish football games a worthwhile experience. Yet a few pea brains claiming to represent our club log on to this and other clubs’ websites and spew their bile at people they don’t even know because they...erm... follow an Irish football team! The Waterford United message board is bombarded with abuse from these hate-filled desperados, as is the Shels board and others, with the result that we are fast becoming the most despised club in the league! Well City fans don’t deserve that reputation. Cork City F.C. should be respected as a positive force in Irish football and not as a haven for blinkered delinquents. Rivalry and banter are essential football traditions but those who stoop to degenerate slandering are essentially just talking about themselves.

thecorner
28/10/2004, 9:10 AM
What is it about football that makes some people need to spurt out noxious abuse at other teams and their supporters? Some of the rants on this forum are an embarrassment to our club. The “we fcuking hate Shelbourne” thread is pathetic. City have thousands of supporters who are passionate about football, interested in the League of Ireland and supportive of efforts to make attending Irish football games a worthwhile experience. Yet a few pea brains claiming to represent our club log on to this and other clubs’ websites and spew their bile at people they don’t even know because they...erm... follow an Irish football team! The Waterford United message board is bombarded with abuse from these hate-filled desperados, as is the Shels board and others, with the result that we are fast becoming the most despised club in the league! Well City fans don’t deserve that reputation. Cork City F.C. should be respected as a positive force in Irish football and not as a haven for blinkered delinquents. Rivally and banter are essential football traditions but those who stoop to degenerate slandering are essentially just talking about themselves.

ok..whatever you say :rolleyes:

Fair_play_boy
28/10/2004, 9:12 AM
That came as a bit of a culture shock to me too when I came on this forum at first. But after a while I got to thinking:
1. It's all a bit of a wind up.
2. The forum would be a bit boring without it.
3. Between fixtures it gives you something to do with your PC.

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 10:28 AM
Gotta say, I though the Shels thread was kinda pathetic too. Surprised Colm started it.

adam

James
28/10/2004, 10:35 AM
Gotta say, I though the Shels thread was kinda pathetic too. Surprised Colm started it.

adam

colm hates Shels :P
aint suprised one bit

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 11:44 AM
Apologies for the edit xtreme rebel, genuine mistake. But back on topic:

As I've said time and time again, what exactly has this kind of inciteful garbage - because that's what it is - got to do with football? Bear in mind that I don't have much truck with the "it's only banter" excuse.

adam

patsh
28/10/2004, 11:56 AM
Personally, I think we should be toning down the rhetoric. I have absolutetly no time for $hels, but we may be giving them ammunition to use against us. Heightened security, and intolerance from those "stewards" will probably be the result of what they see is "tension" being stoked up by City fans.

Remember, we are going up there TO SUPPORT CITY,
NOT
to abuse and slag off $hels.
(That can wait until AFTER the game....;) )

adamd164
28/10/2004, 12:03 PM
Patsh you do have a point but sure if we couldn't slag them off that half the excitement gone!

BTW is this thread a wind up???!

Colm
28/10/2004, 12:37 PM
Take a look at the first post again Adam. I only started it to tell of a rather unique incident about two sets of opposing fans singing the same song on tuesday night, something which doesn't happen very often.

[That Edit button is killing me. --adam]

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 12:38 PM
They are scum and I have no time for them.So you're saying that all owners, management, players, staff and fans of Shelbourne are "scum"?

adam

paudie
28/10/2004, 12:40 PM
What is it about football that makes some people need to spurt out noxious abuse at other teams and their supporters? Some of the rants on this forum are an embarrassment to our club. The “we fcuking hate Shelbourne” thread is pathetic. City have thousands of supporters who are passionate about football, interested in the League of Ireland and supportive of efforts to make attending Irish football games a worthwhile experience. Yet a few pea brains claiming to represent our club log on to this and other clubs’ websites and spew their bile at people they don’t even know because they...erm... follow an Irish football team! The Waterford United message board is bombarded with abuse from these hate-filled desperados, as is the Shels board and others, with the result that we are fast becoming the most despised club in the league! Well City fans don’t deserve that reputation. Cork City F.C. should be respected as a positive force in Irish football and not as a haven for blinkered delinquents. Rivalry and banter are essential football traditions but those who stoop to degenerate slandering are essentially just talking about themselves.

I know i sound like I'm an old codger but I agree with the general thrust of the above post.

i hate Shels and would love if we beat them but some of the posts on the "we fcuking hate Shels" thread are just abuse of Slash/ED, who seems like a genuine EL supporter.

I suppose its a question of what is or isn't "banter". I think people should have better things to be doing rather than abusing fellow EL supporters.

Now I'm off to put on my slippers and listen to my Mario Lanza 78's while drinking my cocoa.

Colm
28/10/2004, 12:46 PM
So you're saying that all owners, management, players, staff and fans of Shelbourne are "scum"?

adam

Pretty much yeah!

*in case you haven't noticed I lose all sense of perspective and common decency where Shels are concerned! ;)

Colm
28/10/2004, 12:53 PM
Ban Colm. He has no common respect. Ollie Byrne is a great man who is very easy to get on with. Some City fans resent him because of shels success

:D :D :D :D

It's amazing the way you always have great respect for the people everyone else hates!! ;)

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 1:05 PM
find a girl and settle down

if you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.
Son
All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it.
If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

James
28/10/2004, 1:07 PM
altogether now.......

Colm
28/10/2004, 1:07 PM
if you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.
Son
All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it.
If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them you know not me.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

A song for the bus tomorrow perhaps!!
I'm getting my vocal chords in tune as we speak! :)

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 1:10 PM
its a duet, i nominate Vitamin D as the "son" part :D

James
28/10/2004, 1:11 PM
A song for the bus tomorrow perhaps!!
I'm getting my vocal chords in tune as we speak! :)

as long as you stay from singing waterloo with Ois again i'm happy
:cool:

Colm
28/10/2004, 1:13 PM
its a duet

That's ok Wayne will be on the bus.
Karaoke boys back in action!! :D

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 1:13 PM
Take a look at the first post again Adam. I only started it to tell of a rather unique incident about two sets of opposing fans singing the same song on tuesday night, something which doesn't happen very often.I guess it might have been funny at the time Colm, but would you not agree that as long as fans tolerate the underlying incitement that this kind of thing encourages, it's going to hurt the business of football in Ireland, and so the game itself?

Not the fans but everyone else....yes.
why have you a problem with that?Because it's a generalisation with no foundation. Unless you know them all personally that is. Do you?

Some fans are scum.Which is a much better way of putting it. And need I remind you that some City fans are scum too?

Adam, Do you realise the size and magnitude about the game tomorrow, I'm beginning to think you know nothing about EL football.Since when are we talking about the game tomorrow?

adam

Colm
28/10/2004, 1:22 PM
don't see how it would hurt football in Ireland. It's only a chant!

nice one sham
28/10/2004, 1:27 PM

what a sad sad man you are.

Pablo
28/10/2004, 1:41 PM
its all a bit of fun and its great to wind up shels fans before the game..........i wouldnt read to much into threads like that days approaching the game

you should see the shels MB ha ha

trevy
28/10/2004, 2:33 PM

I agree with you.The abuse and taunts on the Waterford United message board for the past few weeks and since Sundays FAI Cup final defeat has been unreal.This will fire up other clubs to beat you more and your fans are getting a reputation for being annoying and it could be counter productive as there'll be more hostility shown towards you by rival clubs and fans.

thecorner
28/10/2004, 2:35 PM
.This will fire up other clubs to beat you more and your fans are getting a reputation for being annoying and it could be counter productive as there'll be more hostility shown towards you by rival clubs and fans.

im sure it will :rolleyes:

i can just imagine rennies or fenlons team talk team

"get out there and beat them, did you see what they were saying about you on our own forums" :rolleyes:

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 3:31 PM
don't see how it would hurt football in Ireland. It's only a chant!Well, take me for example. I'm not a big soccer fan, or at least I am but I'm more into the business side of things. People like xtreme rebel seem to think that means I know "nothing" about eL football (and of course he's entitled to that opinion), but it doesn't, it just means I probably know less than most about some aspects of the game.

However it doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to go and see more matches, and in fact now that I have a youngfella to take along with me, I really would like to do that. But I'd want to go to watch the game, not to hear the Shed shout profanity and abuse. Banter, fine, I like a joke as much as the next man, but not rubbish like "we fcuking hate Shelbourne".

I don't want my kid to have that kind of rubbish shoved down his throat at matches, and I'm sorry but the "sure he's going to hear it anyway" argument doesn't work on me: Maybe he will, but that doesn't mean I should encourage it further. And it's not just about the kid anyway: I don't want to hear it. I don't see why I should have to, after all it's supposed to be about football, isn't it?

So I'm just one guy, who cares about me? But what about all the other dads out there that want to bring their kids to matches? What about the families that the club has been specifically targetting? Should football only be about "The Lads"? Should you guys only be allowed go, because you've been fans for years? How do you make new fans then?

If Irish football is to continue to go mainstream, we need those new fans. That's the hurt I'm talking about. Otherwise it'll just revert back to the way it was just a couple of years ago. Is that really what you want Colm? It's not what I want anyway. Mainstream football is good for all of us as far as I can see, even people like me that know "nothing" about it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, cos if I hit the Edit button instead of Quote one more time I'll likely go insane.

adam

thecorner
28/10/2004, 3:36 PM
I don't want my kid to have that kind of rubbish shoved down his throat at matches, and I'm sorry but the "sure he's going to hear it anyway" argument doesn't work on me:

im teaching my kid how to say smackhead :eek:

dahamsta
28/10/2004, 4:44 PM
Yore so kewl xr! Can I be in yore gang?

Schumi
28/10/2004, 4:51 PM
"Your" and "cool" are the correct spellings. :rolleyes:
I think you mean "You're". :D :p

eoinh
28/10/2004, 5:11 PM
Well, take me for example. I'm not a big soccer fan, or at least I am but I'm more into the business side of things. People like xtreme rebel seem to think that means I know "nothing" about eL football (and of course he's entitled to that opinion), but it doesn't, it just means I probably know less than most about some aspects of the game.

However it doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to go and see more matches, and in fact now that I have a youngfella to take along with me, I really would like to do that. But I'd want to go to watch the game, not to hear the Shed shout profanity and abuse. Banter, fine, I like a joke as much as the next man, but not rubbish like "we fcuking hate Shelbourne".

I don't want my kid to have that kind of rubbish shoved down his throat at matches, and I'm sorry but the "sure he's going to hear it anyway" argument doesn't work on me: Maybe he will, but that doesn't mean I should encourage it further. And it's not just about the kid anyway: I don't want to hear it. I don't see why I should have to, after all it's supposed to be about football, isn't it?

So I'm just one guy, who cares about me? But what about all the other dads out there that want to bring their kids to matches? What about the families that the club has been specifically targetting? Should football only be about "The Lads"? Should you guys only be allowed go, because you've been fans for years? How do you make new fans then?

If Irish football is to continue to go mainstream, we need those new fans. That's the hurt I'm talking about. Otherwise it'll just revert back to the way it was just a couple of years ago. Is that really what you want Colm? It's not what I want anyway. Mainstream football is good for all of us as far as I can see, even people like me that know "nothing" about it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, cos if I hit the Edit button instead of Quote one more time I'll likely go insane.

adam

You do have a point Adam. My partner wont let me bring her newphew to matchs because of the chanting. The result is hes just got his first Man Utd jersey with the word "Rooney" emblazened on it. Pukerama :o

Pablo
28/10/2004, 5:21 PM
I'm not "cool" actually....but I could think of a few words to describe you though. I'll refrain cos you'll act all macho and ban me.

you cant get banned just because you disagree disagree with Adam surely? ;)

A face
28/10/2004, 7:27 PM
Lads .... i think we should save it all for tomorrow night.

For what its worth .... threads that start with "We fcuking hate Shelbourne" is fairly tacking lads .... chill out lads.

C'mon City !!

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 10:20 PM
you cant get banned just because you disagree disagree with Adam surely? ;)

no, but he can get banned for giving cheek again. if he spoke to me like that on my site, i'd suspend him. well, i would if he wasnt so petty as not to want to register and signs in as vitamin d isntead.

NorthoftheLee
29/10/2004, 8:31 AM
no, but he can get banned for giving cheek again. if he spoke to me like that on my site, i'd suspend him. well, i would if he wasnt so petty as not to want to register and signs in as vitamin d isntead.

And you wonder why YOUR site is so ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!??? :rolleyes:

vit d is someone completely different than XR. .........FACT!

citycity
29/10/2004, 8:36 AM
Who's the loser who started this thead???? League of Ireland?? its the eircom league, get up to date at least. If theres no banter and hatred between clubs theres no point going to see them play. As the famous George Hamilton once said, "You sir are a idiot"???

GavinZac
29/10/2004, 8:37 AM
And you wonder why YOUR site is so ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!??? :rolleyes:

vit d is someone completely different than XR. .........FACT!

if our site is shhit, then nake it better, you can post news and articles you know.
and what i was saying is that ON OUR SITE xr signs in as vit d, i know they're different... very different.

adamd164
29/10/2004, 8:39 AM
I honestly don't think shedend.com is 'crap' at all, I don't see you making an effort NOTL!

GavinZac
29/10/2004, 8:54 AM
I honestly don't think shedend.com is 'crap' at all, I don't see you making an effort NOTL!

users can put up their own announcements, news pieces, articles
theres a calender of every city event which users can add to
theres a club info section which is being worked on (remember the site isnt even finished yet :rolleyes: )
a forum
a gallery
downloads of wallpapers and useful programs etc
games
9 languages for our foreign friends
polls
iser customizable layout
ticket & merchandise competitions
Free email addresses with almost limitless space.
newsletters
fixtures
tables

corkcityfc.ie is a brilliant site, NOTL, but i dont see why ours is shhit, all they have that we dont have is a formation composer that their brother made, video downloads which i could do easily, but im not allowed by chorus, and press releases from the club, and i dont particularly want to write up whatever the echo said today for those, like corkcityfootie.com did.

NorthoftheLee
29/10/2004, 8:59 AM

1. I never said it was 'crap' ..it's a good effort.
2. I was having a go at Gav's "if it was on MY site, I'd ban him" attitude
while all along saying it was a city fans site for everyone.
3. Watch me tonite closely and you'll see what effort is......

NorthoftheLee
29/10/2004, 9:01 AM
corkcityfc.ie is a brilliant site, NOTL, but i dont see why ours is shhit, all they have that we dont have is a formation composer that their brother made, video downloads which i could do easily, but im not allowed by chorus, and press releases from the club, and i dont particularly want to write up whatever the echo said today for those, like corkcityfootie.com did.

1. I never mentioned corkcityfc.ie once...its got nothing to do with me. ??? where did that come from???? :confused:

2. Read my above post. :rolleyes:

jeez, the sensitivity of some folk around here is off the scale....

GavinZac
29/10/2004, 9:05 AM
1. I never said it was 'crap' ..it's a good effort.
2. I was having a go at Gav's "if it was on MY site, I'd ban him" attitude
while all along saying it was a city fans site for everyone.

1. thank you
2. i would ban him. no-one's going to say i know nothing about football and stay on the site for very long, especially when the personal insults come out.
3. the good news is i will see you, well, if i can spot you in the hundreds of city fans there. ;)

thecorner
29/10/2004, 9:07 AM
3. Watch me tonite closely and you'll see what effort is......

big brother is watching you ;)

GavinZac
29/10/2004, 9:08 AM
1. I never mentioned corkcityfc.ie once...its got nothing to do with me. ??? where did that come from???? :confused: .

well its the only competing site, although if i had my way we wouldnt be competing at all, i think they should be two very different sites, both very good at what they do.