PDA

View Full Version : Series 6

Pages : [1] 2 3

adamd164
06/04/2014, 9:55 AM
Limerick v Cork City is postponed after the rugby yesterday.

This means effectively that Limerick cannot host a scheduled game (it's not due to the weather). What are the rules surrounding this?

There's definitely a precedent that if a team cannot host a game then home advantage is forfeited, it happened with Rovers in the 90s, including when they once played a home game at Turners Cross cos of rental issues.

Monday 07-04
7:45 p.m. Athlone Town v Bohemians
7:45 p.m. Bray Wanderers v St. Patrick's Ath
7:45 p.m. Dundalk v Derry City
7:45 p.m. Limerick FC P-P Cork City
7:45 p.m. Sligo Rovers v Drogheda United
8 p.m. Shamrock Rovers v U.C.D

SeanDrog
06/04/2014, 12:37 PM
I'm hoping Sligo continue their form lol. They are too good to be where they are in the table, I hope this game isn't where they start winning.

Ezeikial
06/04/2014, 1:14 PM
According to Ian Baraclough, Sligo can still win the league
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/12020/baraclough---we-can-still-win-league/

Can Sligo fans fill us in - Is Baraclough talking through his pipe or is there any reason for optimism that Sligo can start turning their season around?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
06/04/2014, 1:49 PM
Very hard to see us winning the league seeing as we can't score a goal! Will see where we are after the first series of games but if we keep going the way we are then he's certainly talking through his pipe. Scoring the first goal in a game would be a big help. Thought we were unlucky against Dundalk and Shams and didn't play well enough against Derry and Bray by all accounts.

White Horse
07/04/2014, 9:21 AM
Collins also criticised the Lilywhites' Oriel Park 3G surface, but he wouldn't be using that as a excuse if they don't get anything from the game. "It's the worst pitch in the world, not even in Ireland, but the world, but we won't be even mentioning it because at the end of the day we are going to have to play on it".

It's going to be a war of attrition for the first hour and the side who are conditioned properly and can sustain things after the war of attrition will, in my opinion, come out on top. "There won't be a lot of great football played in that hour. I watched them against Shamrock Rovers in the Setanta Cup and I don't think there will be a lot of attractive football in that 60 minutes, but then we'll see who can come out on top after that."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/collins-expects-to-lead-derry-city-into-a-gritty-dundalk-battle-30160200.html

I'm so glad Roddy decided not to make an issue of the pitch. :) That would be tedious.

He should really only speak of his own team when talking about how attractive the football will be. I'm sure Stephen Kenny has a different game plan and intention regarding the quality of football his team will play.

PartySaint
07/04/2014, 10:32 AM
Worst in the World, deadly.

We are missing Brennan and Bolger tonight but hopefully Fahey will start. I also hope tonight see's and end to Mark Quigley playing in our midfield 3.

A win and a clean sheet would be lovely.

Louth4sam
07/04/2014, 10:57 AM
Apparently we had an easier game against Pats as we won 4-1? Makes Tom the gom sound like a philosopher of football.

Ezeikial
07/04/2014, 11:17 AM
Classic stuff from Roddy.

I love this bit -

"But it's going to be a war of attrition for the first hour and the side who are conditioned properly and can sustain things after the war of attrition will, in my opinion, come out on top.

I put this into Roddyspeak on the old google translator and it spat back -

"We're going kick the ****e out them and see if they can take it"

Sam_Heggy
07/04/2014, 11:28 AM
According to Ian Baraclough, Sligo can still win the league
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/12020/baraclough---we-can-still-win-league/

Can Sligo fans fill us in - Is Baraclough talking through his pipe or is there any reason for optimism that Sligo can start turning their season around?

Spoke to a few Derry fans at the weekend who reckon Sligo were the best team they played yet. They were saying Derrys goal was a freak wonder strike and Sligo were badly lacking up front or would have won the game easily.

Saying that, they were very critical of Roddy for dropping Molloy and playing Enda Curran in midfield. Also he's trying hard to put his own stamp on the side, 7 of the starting 11 were player Roddy brought in.

Ezeikial
07/04/2014, 11:30 AM
Another gem from Roddy:

Collin said: "Don't even look at the table. The only table you look at is the kitchen table at home. "It's too early to look at the table. You look at the table with six games gone not now."

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/12019/collins-praises-squad-after-sealing-first-win/

I could have sworn that a while ago he was saying to wait for 10 games!

outspoken
07/04/2014, 5:29 PM
I was at Sligo V Athlone and Sligo V pats in the SSC and they are playing good football and creating chances but not taking them. I expect them to turn it around.

Captain2007
07/04/2014, 5:43 PM
If Bray defend like they did against UCD, it could be a long night. Pat's should be too strong and Quigley normally plays well against us (especially up front).

Aaron
07/04/2014, 6:07 PM
Derry City team v Dundalk

Doherty, Collins, Molloy, McBride, Ventre, E. Curran, McGovern, Stewart, Timlin, Byrne (C), Barry

subs:Jarvis, S. McEleney, P. McEleney, Patterson, Duffy, R. Curran, Gallaghar

Aaron
07/04/2014, 6:57 PM
Sligo 1-0 Drogheda

Alan Keane

Aaron
07/04/2014, 7:11 PM
Sligo 1-1 Drogheda

Fabio O'Brien

SeanDrog
07/04/2014, 7:15 PM
Fabio 7 goals 4 games ! On fire

Dillonman
07/04/2014, 7:21 PM
Very bad injury to derrys ryan mcbride. Looks to have swallowed his tongue and had a fit after a clash of heads with hoban.

SeanDrog
07/04/2014, 7:24 PM
Very bad injury to derrys ryan mcbride. Looks to have swallowed his tongue and had a fit after a clash of heads with hoban.

OMG I hope he's ok.

Yossarian
07/04/2014, 7:24 PM

Dunno exactly what's happened but he's been worked on for 6 or 7 minutes now. Hopefully not as bad as it looks.

Aaron
07/04/2014, 7:26 PM
McBride has regained consciousness, getting stretchered off now. 10 mins stoppage

Aaron
07/04/2014, 7:59 PM
Derry City Twitter

"We have spoken to a DCFC Director. He was speaking with Ryan who was conscious and talking with ambulance staff, but is enroute to hospital"

SeanDrog
07/04/2014, 8:40 PM
Sligo 1-1 Drogs - ill defo take that :) , I was afraid we would get the Sligo backlash tonight for their poor form to date. Still unbeaten lol who'd have put money on that at the start of the season.

PartySaint
07/04/2014, 9:17 PM
Better from Pats tonight, bar a dodgy 5 minutes after the Bray goal we dominated the play.

Forrester is such a joy to watch, wait until you see his pass for our second goal.

Fahey superb tonight as well playing deeper than he has been this season.

What's going on with Sligo?

Yossarian
07/04/2014, 9:27 PM
We played much better in the second half. Delighted to get the win. Derry came to frustrate and take a point and didn't really create anything. Can't see Derry fans putting up with that for too long. Seen a couple giving Roddy grief at the end. How come Patterson isn't playing?

Captain2007
07/04/2014, 9:32 PM
Huge difference in class at the carlisle tonight, Fahey ran the show, young CB Hoare was excellent, disappointing small number of travelling support for reigning champions, only bright spark for Bray was Cassidy.

White Horse
07/04/2014, 9:32 PM
Derry came to frustrate and take a point and didn't really create anything. Can't see Derry fans putting up with that for too long. Seen a couple giving Roddy grief at the end. How come Patterson isn't playing?

Derry are one of the worst sides I've seen in Oriel Park for years. Not quite as bad as McCaffrey's Dundalk but not that much better either.

This time last year, Derry game to Oriel Park and give this Dundalk side a football lesson. The two teams have gone in completely opposite directions since.

PartySaint
07/04/2014, 9:34 PM
Huge difference in class at the carlisle tonight, Fahey ran the show, young CB Hoare was excellent, disappointing small number of travelling support for reigning champions, only bright spark for Bray was Cassidy.

Not a great crowd but more Pats fans than Bray at it

Captain2007
07/04/2014, 9:38 PM
Nothing unusual about that, just thought having won the championship you may have brought more fans, Pats had a strong bench tonight, also with Brennan and Bolger suspended.BTW I do agree Forrester did prove a point when he came on.

Quayman
07/04/2014, 9:47 PM
Nothing unusual about that, just thought having won the championship you may have brought more fans, Pats had a strong bench tonight, also with Brennan and Bolger suspended.BTW I do agree Forrester did prove a point when he came on.

Championship?? Its not GAA my friend!

Kenny seems to be a master at half time team talks as we swept Derry off the pitch in the second half, much like Pats the other night. Delighted with our form atm. Look like scoring every time we go forward.

On a serious note, that was dreadful watching McBride in that state tonight, hope he recovers. His face was pure blue at one stage. The volunteers didn't look like they knew what to do. Thankfully, the Derry physio and our own club doctor got it under control.

Charlie Darwin
07/04/2014, 9:47 PM
Glad to hear McBride was up and about - hopefully it's nothing serious.

Rovers were poor tonight but nevertheless could easily have got into double figures. Hit the bar once and the post twice in the first half and O'Donnell pulled off a wonderful save from Jaycist. UCD just piled back in numbers but they looked dangerous when they broke against Rovers' slow defenders and probably could have made it 1-1. The midfield looks a lot better with McPhail instead of Robinson but he is lethargic to the point of not looking interested. Finn was magnificent again.

oriel
07/04/2014, 10:03 PM
Derry came to defend and offered very little. Thought Dundalk were just waiting for the gaps to open and they did in the second half, could have been 4-0 but for Byrne's goal offside when it was 0-0, another good second half display, the fitness in this side is excellent.

Best wishes to Ryan McBride, looked a terrible injury, match was held up over 10 mins.

White Horse
07/04/2014, 10:05 PM
Best wishes to Ryan McBride, looked a terrible injury, match was held up over 10 mins.

There's nothing worse than seeing two heads collide. Wishing him a full recovery.

Ezeikial
07/04/2014, 10:06 PM
Glad to hear McBride was up and about - hopefully it's nothing serious.

Rovers were poor tonight but nevertheless could easily have got into double figures. Hit the bar once and the post twice in the first half and O'Donnell pulled off a wonderful save from Jaycist. UCD just piled back in numbers but they looked dangerous when they broke against Rovers' slow defenders and probably could have made it 1-1. The midfield looks a lot better with McPhail instead of Robinson but he is lethargic to the point of not looking interested. Finn was magnificent again.

I hope they kept the passes to a minimum for you

White Horse
07/04/2014, 10:14 PM

I'm sure they were all incisive.

nigel-harps1954
07/04/2014, 10:30 PM
The midfield looks a lot better with McPhail instead of Robinson but he is lethargic to the point of not looking interested.

McPhail seemed to disappear there for a while, was he injured?

Charlie Darwin
07/04/2014, 10:47 PM
Unfortunately not. Luckily Rovers fans are used to players passing the ball so we weren't counting them all.

McPhail seemed to disappear there for a while, was he injured?
He's been suffering tendonitis which is part and parcel of his Sjogren's Syndrome. He has been on the bench a couple of times but this was his first start. He was replaced late on by Croly's favourite player, Boccer Bayly.

Charlie Darwin
07/04/2014, 10:50 PM
Just saw Forrester's pass for Pats tonight. Holy god, that is an incisive pass ladies and gents.

nigel-harps1954
07/04/2014, 10:56 PM
Very unfortunate clash of heads for McBride. Shocking stuff by the team though to go straight over and scream at the ref rather than help their team mate lying on the ground, in very clear difficulty.

Also, that own goal in Athlone was absolutely hilarious.

SkStu
08/04/2014, 1:34 AM
https://vine.co/v/M5a50AqMLxl

Superb.

seand
08/04/2014, 7:41 AM
For once I think referee Tomas Connolly deserves huge credit for his handling of the McBride incident. He stopped the game immediately despite lots of protests and calmed the situation down well. His quick decision could well have saved the situation being a whole lot worse.

Roddy Collins really is a cancer, Derry were bloody awful. At least until recently he was good for a soundbite and an undeniable character, but all he can do this season is try and strangle the opposition while giving out about the standard of football, pitches, etc etc.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
08/04/2014, 8:00 AM
Better from Pats tonight, bar a dodgy 5 minutes after the Bray goal we dominated the play.

Forrester is such a joy to watch, wait until you see his pass for our second goal.

Fahey superb tonight as well playing deeper than he has been this season.

What's going on with Sligo?

Not taking our chances

Ezeikial
08/04/2014, 8:13 AM
Roddy Collins really is a cancer, Derry were bloody awful. At least until recently he was good for a soundbite and an undeniable character, but all he can do this season is try and strangle the opposition while giving out about the standard of football, pitches, etc etc.

Roddy promised a war of attrition, which was thinly veiled code for setting up his team to play in a negative defensive manner.

"But it's going to be a war of attrition for the first hour and the side who are conditioned properly and can sustain things after the war of attrition will, in my opinion, come out on top.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/collins-expects-to-lead-derry-city-into-a-gritty-dundalk-battle-30160200.html

Perhaps this was prophetic - Dundalks' fitness and conditioning has been superb this season and last (credit to Strength & Conditioning Coach Graham Byrne), with the opening goal scored on 63 minutes.

I really can't imagine Derry fans putting up with this negative style for long, especially when there is very little return.

"It's too early to look at the table. You look at the table with six games gone not now."
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/12019/collins-praises-squad-after-sealing-first-win/

White Horse
08/04/2014, 8:25 AM
I really can't imagine Derry fans putting up with this negative style for long, especially when there is very little return.

I was talking to a few Derry fans after the game, and while dissappointed with the result, it was the performace and style of play that they found hard to take. I feel for them, Derry have brought a lot of quality to the league down the years, and they deserve better than the football their team served up last night.

Nesta99
08/04/2014, 9:01 AM
It is how quickly Derry have gone downhill thats shocking! I cant remember a poorer Derry side visiting Oriel, they had that clueless look about them that McCaffreys Dundalk sides had (albeit with more quality in the team that could dig them out of a hole). On the McBride injury, that was an awful 5 or 6 minutes where he looked in real trouble, as said the quick action of the ref and subsequently the physio and Dundalk club doctor was excellent. Ive no great confidence in volunteer first aiders but tbh they were just keeping out of the way while the Doc and physio got on with their job and were just there as stretcher bearers.

El-Pietro
08/04/2014, 9:35 AM
I hate to agree with Roddy Collins on any matter as I think he is the lowest form of pond scum but that Dundalk pitch looked horrible on Soccer Republic last night.

Acer
08/04/2014, 9:44 AM
Happy enough with the point last night but it was completely overshadowed by an injury to one of our players, Austin McCann, who suffered a severe leg break after a horrendous challenge from Jeff Henderson. The sound of the leg breaking will live long in the memory, it was sickening. A scum tackle from Henderson who should be completely ashamed. Referee Padraigh Sutton should be equally ashamed as he felt the wreckless challenge only warranted a yellow card. Not a good night.

Ezeikial
08/04/2014, 9:51 AM
I hate to agree with Roddy Collins on any matter as I think he is the lowest form of pond scum but that Dundalk pitch looked horrible on Soccer Republic last night.

Agreed - the pitch should be much prettier. Maybe some ribbons and nice floral patterns around the edges would do the trick.

But do you agree with the Rodster when he says it is the worst pitch in the world, or is he understating it?

"It's the worst pitch in the world, not even in Ireland, but the world, but we won't be even mentioning it because at the end of the day we are going to have to play on it.

El-Pietro
08/04/2014, 10:16 AM
Agreed - the pitch should be much prettier. Maybe some ribbons and nice floral patterns around the edges would do the trick.

But do you agree with the Rodster when he says it is the worst pitch in the world, or is he understating it?
I didn't play on it. I don't know how bad it was, but from the 30 seconds or so on Soccer Republic it looked worse than the Brandywell when we played there.

White Horse
08/04/2014, 10:20 AM

It looked absolutely dreadful on the TV. It always does. Most negative views of the pitch arise due to how it looks on the box.

However, sitting in the stadium it looked fine. The ball ran perfectly and the new programme of maintenance has eliminated the occasional strange bounce.

I don't know why a pitch can look fine to the naked eye but terrible through a TV camera.

Nesta99
08/04/2014, 10:20 AM
Happy enough with the point last night but it was completely overshadowed by an injury to one of our players, Austin McCann, who suffered a severe leg break after a horrendous challenge from Jeff Henderson. The sound of the leg breaking will live long in the memory, it was sickening. A scum tackle from Henderson who should be completely ashamed. Referee Padraigh Sutton should be equally ashamed as he felt the wreckless challenge only warranted a yellow card. Not a good night.

Very sorry to hear that, Ozzie is an old college pal - but i'm still bitter about the goal he created for Mons against us! If any Drogs are talking to him or know how he is pm me an update!