PDA

View Full Version : Dave Langan

Donal81
27/10/2004, 3:58 PM
I suppose we should start a new thread for those who mightn't be aware of the discussion. I found this article on Dave Langan who is now officially disabled and living on state assistance. I'm not sure if one of the moderators can get a proper petition part going on the website going but until then, we'll work it from here. Bravo to whoever came up with this idea, good on you.

Langan's plight should not be ignored
By Sean Kilfeather © IRISH TIMES

The sight of Dave Langan skipping along the wing at Lansdowne Road or Dalymount will live long in the memory of those of us privileged to have seen it. Exuberance is the word which comes most readily to the mind when these games are recalled.

The young man played for Cherry Orchard and won recognition as a superb servant of soccer there, at Derby County, Birmingham City, Oxford United, Leicester City and Peterborough and with the Republic of Ireland. he is still with us, but only just. In a match at Dalymount Park in 1981, which ended in a memorable win for Ireland over France, Dave Langan twisted a knee but, fired up by euphoria and adrenalin he played on in typical ebullient fashion. He has regretted his foolhardiness ever since.

In all he played 26 times for Ireland and always played an influential role. His mother now keeps parts of the knee which he twisted, in a bottle in her cupboard. It is a constant reminder to her and to him of the constant pain which now plagues his life.

In more recent times we have heard of prominent sportspeople earning huge sums of money on and off the field. Some of these have disgraced themselves and their sports, others have invested their money and lived on the income provided. The Dave Langans of this world have not been so lucky.

Always a fearless tackler, Langan went into one which has plagued him ever since. His then club, Birmingham, ordered him to rest for eight weeks but surgery was finally needed though without any great relief.
"The pain became so bad that I eventually had an operation but it was too late," he says.

Nowadays he works as a porter in Peterborough Town Hall earning a pittance and is officially disabled. He has been beset by arthritic problems and has had spine surgery. He is in constant pain and on medication to ease it but to no avail. He has a credit balance of £35 in the bank. He recently told a reporter for The Irish Post in London: "The person you're looking at now is a shadow of my former self. I was probably one of the fittest soccer players there ever was. I was fit, strong, healthy. My body was a temple; now it is just a shell. I'm only 42 and I feel my life is all but over - that's how bad I feel. "Everything I do, whether it is just to put on a pair of socks, takes a great effort. I ache all over. I have to take pain-killing tablets every day without fail or the pain is horrendous. I have to apply special cream to get rid of the stiffness from my joints and I must take antiinflammatory tablets to do what most people take for granted. The pleasure of being Dave Langan is long gone. I'm a broken man."

That statement is the most poignant that this observer has ever come across. It is particularly painful given the fact that so many players of what is called "The Beautiful Game" seem to be willing to make a mockery of any mores whatever and who, off the pitch, seek to plunder what most of us regard as decencies and honourable behaviour.

The plight of Dave Langan should - indeed must - alert all of us to what our responsibilities are. As a sporting society we must recognise the needs of members of our own community. The contribution of £750,000 by the GAA to the fund to help victims of the Omagh bombing seems to have been overlooked to a large extent. Yet, when a player is sent off in a GAA match or a score is disallowed or allowed, there is full coverage in newspapers, radio and television for days afterwards. £750,000 for the victims of one of the most horrific atrocities in the North seems more important to me than any (or indeed all) of that. It is true that we can revere our national and international heroes when they are in their prime and forget them when they leave our minds and be replaced by others.

When I worked in London I frequently bought an evening paper from a small elderly man in Piccadilly Circus before going for a pint in what was then the Irish House nearby. One day the newspaper seller came into the pub and I offered to buy him a drink. He accepted. He had a Scottish accent and he inquired where I was from, and when I realised that he did not have the wherewithal to buy another drink I ordered again.

Then we exchanged names and, to my astonishment, I discovered that I had bought an evening paper and two pints for one Jimmy Logie, arguably one of the greatest players ever to have worn the Arsenal and Scottish shirts. I never passed him by again without a friendly word, an evening paper or a drink. I was privileged. He was skint.

David Langan is not skint, although not far from it. He strives every day to provide a home for his wife and children while in constant pain. His friends from Cherry Orchard have set up a committee to raise funds to relieve his financial difficulties and to make his life more liveable. But the Cherry Orchard fund is not enough. We need an ongoing organisation to ensure that others, perhaps not as famous as David Langan, also receive help.

Bowsy
27/10/2004, 4:19 PM
Makes for some fierce sad reading. Goes without saying any petition has my support.

Fergie's Son
27/10/2004, 4:28 PM
Wow. Powerful stuff indeed. Perhaps the FAI should have the wherewithal to set up some sort of fund to help the Dave Langan's of this world?

soccerc
27/10/2004, 4:29 PM
That article is more than five years old and the Benefit night had it's own website

http://www.soccercentral.ie/david_langan/benefit.htm

sylvo
27/10/2004, 4:51 PM
I'm glad this subject has got it's own thread, rather then being caught up in the round in circle's arguments that happen when someone mention's Celtic.
As so many people on the other thread felt the same about Dave Langan it would be great if some way by fan pressure there could be a game for him and also to give Irish fans a chance to say thank you for the hard work he put in over the years not to mention helping us get to our first ever tournament, which sadly through injury he never got to play in.

Plastic Paddy
27/10/2004, 5:14 PM
That article is more than five years old and the Benefit night had it's own website

http://www.soccercentral.ie/david_langan/benefit.htm

Indeed, and any new initiative that was developed would have to take cognisance of wnat was done previously.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that, if it's what the man himself wanted, we were able to agitate for something like a testimonial game?

:) PP

tiktok
27/10/2004, 5:24 PM
That story would break your heart :(

Superhoops
27/10/2004, 5:37 PM
I'm glad this subject has got it's own thread, rather then being caught up in the round in circle's arguments that happen when someone mention's Celtic.
As so many people on the other thread felt the same about Dave Langan it would be great if some way by fan pressure there could be a game for him and also to give Irish fans a chance to say thank you for the hard work he put in over the years not to mention helping us get to our first ever tournament, which sadly through injury he never got to play in.

Sylvo,

I have to claim responsibility for bringing it up in the first place on the Celtic-Ireland thread and I am glad it has got people thinking.

In addition to the benefit referred in an earlier post on this thread, I seem to remember about 2 years ago a group associated with Birmingham City ran a benefit function for him. I also seem to remember that some Irish supporters groups in Birmingham and London? supported this function which was attended by Steve Staunton and Liam Brady?

I also remember reading somewhere that he got a pension of about £80 a month from the FAI (I may have that figure wrong, but I know it was a derisory amount).

Perhaps, what we need is a concerted effort, initially an e-mail bombardment to info@fai.ie with a pre-agreed message urging the FAI to arrange a benefit match for David Langan and adding our individual names as members of the foot.ie forum. There ought not to be any problem in getting several hundred to support this initially and I guess it could fly to other Irish football forums and be picked up by or brought to the attention of the footballing press in Ireland.

I am no author but as a start would suggest something along the lines of:

David Langan was a great servant to Irish football having represented his country with distinction on numerous occasions until a serious footballing injury not only curtailed his football career but left him invalided for life. David Langan deserves being afforded financial support from the Irish soccer community. I and several other likeminded Irish football fans are urging the FAI to organise a fixture which not only would allow supporters to financially support David Langan and his family during this difficult time but would also allow supporters the opportunity to offer moral support and to thank him publicly for his services to Irish football. In a time when the profile of the FAI is at an all time low, I believe this is a golden opportunity for the association to restore some credibility among and support from Irish soccer fans everywhere.

sylvo
28/10/2004, 8:16 AM
Sylvo,

I have to claim responsibility for bringing it up in the first place on the Celtic-Ireland thread and I am glad it has got people thinking.

In addition to the benefit referred in an earlier post on this thread, I seem to remember about 2 years ago a group associated with Birmingham City ran a benefit function for him. I also seem to remember that some Irish supporters groups in Birmingham and London? supported this function which was attended by Steve Staunton and Liam Brady?

I also remember reading somewhere that he got a pension of about £80 a month from the FAI (I may have that figure wrong, but I know it was a derisory amount).

Perhaps, what we need is a concerted effort, initially an e-mail bombardment to info@fai.ie with a pre-agreed message urging the FAI to arrange a benefit match for David Langan and adding our individual names as members of the foot.ie forum. There ought not to be any problem in getting several hundred to support this initially and I guess it could fly to other Irish football forums and be picked up by or brought to the attention of the footballing press in Ireland.

I am no author but as a start would suggest something along the lines of:

David Langan was a great servant to Irish football having represented his country with distinction on numerous occasions until a serious footballing injury not only curtailed his football career but left him invalided for life. David Langan deserves being afforded financial support from the Irish soccer community. I and several other likeminded Irish football fans are urging the FAI to organise a fixture which not only would allow supporters to financially support David Langan and his family during this difficult time but would also allow supporters the opportunity to offer moral support and to thank him publicly for his services to Irish football. In a time when the profile of the FAI is at an all time low, I believe this is a golden opportunity for the association to restore some credibility among and support from Irish soccer fans everywhere.

Well worded superhoops, and totally agree with some form of fan pressure to the FAI by e-mail. As Gary Spain reminded us on the other thread that here was a fella that gave up a week's wages with his club in order to come over to Ireland and get ready for an international match (could you imagine that happening in todays game with players).
At a time when Fran and the lads are having another not talking to each other spat they should be made aware that even though there has been a few benefit function's for him there has not been a real way for fans to say a proper thank you to David Langan for all his service that he made.
I know Liam Brady did'nt play in Germany in 88 through injury but at least fans had a chance to thank him afterwards for all the good times he gave us over the years including a testamonial v Finland so at least something could be done for David Langan by them who also played such a strong part in helping us get there but never got a chance to be part of the team out in Germany as well as the praise.
Will be asking other members of the London branch of the RISSC to also send e-mails to them.

sylvo
28/10/2004, 8:21 AM
[QUOTE=davros]The form of words is good SH and in all seriousness,if ano.fixture falls through for any reason,maybe it could take place v.another side in green & white!

Dav I tend to stay away from this subject because it just goes around in circle's, lets keep it about David Langan and away from the same old arguments.

Plastic Paddy
28/10/2004, 8:24 AM
See this thread lads. Other benefit fundraisers are underway for retired players in general. It's worth taking note in the context of any appeal for a testimonial or other benefit for Dave Langan.

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=18800&page=3&pp=20

:) PP

Daxion
30/10/2004, 11:57 PM
Will be asking other members of the London branch of the RISSC to also send e-mails to them.Sylvo
If I remember correctly the RISSC London donated a very nice cheque to David Langan for his benefit fund and we received a very nice personal reply from him thanking us for our donation. Personally, I think the FAI should be kicked in the right direction and they should have a testimonial for him.
He was and probably still is very good servant of Irish Soccer.

the ox
31/10/2004, 1:15 PM
Hope you don't mind Donal81, but I put your initial thread on an Oxford Utd forum to see what they think. I'm an Oxford fan myself

Donal81
01/11/2004, 8:36 AM
That's cool Ox, the more the better. In response to other posts on this thread, I know there are other players out there who deserve a testimonial as well. At this stage, since Quinny and Gary Kelly showed up the farce that the testimonial had become, testimonials should only take place if there's a good cause behind it and not when all it's going to do is put another million quid in the bank for another millionaire footballer. If there are other footballers who, having served and entertained for years, are on the scrapheap, bring them up here and we'll do the same for them.

sylvo
01/11/2004, 2:04 PM
Sylvo
If I remember correctly the RISSC London donated a very nice cheque to David Langan for his benefit fund and we received a very nice personal reply from him thanking us for our donation. Personally, I think the FAI should be kicked in the right direction and they should have a testimonial for him.
He was and probably still is very good servant of Irish Soccer.

I Remember the Birmingham branch of the RISSC had a function for David Langan, I think it was last year and I know some of the lads went up to it, but it's about time a match for him was sorted out. Part of it being that he was one of the people that helped get the good times going in the in the early part of the Jack years and sadly when all the praise for all the great moments were being handed out he was no longer playing because of injury.
The guy totally deserves to have his day in the sun and be thanked for all the service he gave.

TheJamaicanP.M.
01/11/2004, 7:46 PM
Very sad story this. Seem to recall Cathal Dervan was one of the main people campaigning for Dave Langan a few years ago. I also recall Roy Keane going out of his way to auction one of his jersies for the benefit of Dave Langan.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Dave Langan is deserving of a testimonial game. There was a time when his 26 caps would have been sufficient to earn him one. Suffice to say, the FAI should use some common sense and organise one, not like the testimonial dinner held in his honour a few years ago.

Steviewonder
04/11/2004, 12:52 AM
The fai (lower case fully intended) will continually refuse to organise testamonials on the grounds that it will ''open the floodgates''.
And as we are all now very aware, organisational skills (especially after the departure of Mr Rooney) are sorely lacking in Merrion Square.

Plus, a charity game means that none of the money would go into the official fai coffers, but to a single unconnected individual. (you'd think they'd be used to that, what with their history and all, but apparantly it's still a sore point. Ask the treasurer.)

Steviewonder
04/11/2004, 12:54 AM
Very sad story this. Seem to recall Cathal Dervan was one of the main people campaigning for Dave Langan a few years ago. I also recall Roy Keane going out of his way to auction one of his jersies for the benefit of Dave Langan.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Dave Langan is deserving of a testimonial game. There was a time when his 26 caps would have been sufficient to earn him one. Suffice to say, the FAI should use some common sense and organise one, not like the testimonial dinner held in his honour a few years ago.

It is, however, unfortunate that dervan was involved.
Ideally this subject would have been kept entirely free from ars*hole involvement.... Still, even someone with as little journalistic ability as he has can only help raise awareness...

ArdeeBhoy
09/10/2012, 9:41 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=350079601752689&set=a.105473786213273.9902.103673066393345&type=1

Know he got a testimonial dinner, but don't think the FAI eejits ever gave him a testimonial game.

Fixer82
09/10/2012, 9:46 AM
The original idea of a testimonial, if i'm not mistaken, is to help out ex-players who have fallen on hard times.
I think this is definitely the case here.
If the FAI don't do it some ex-Ireland players should round up other ex-Ireland players and organise it themselves

OwlsFan
09/10/2012, 10:25 AM
The fai (lower case fully intended) will continually refuse to organise testamonials on the grounds that it will ''open the floodgates''.
And as we are all now very aware, organisational skills (especially after the departure of Mr Rooney) are sorely lacking in Merrion Square.

Plus, a charity game means that none of the money would go into the official fai coffers, but to a single unconnected individual. (you'd think they'd be used to that, what with their history and all, but apparantly it's still a sore point. Ask the treasurer.)

A testimonial sounds a great idea but if you want the leading Irish players or other international players/sides there are only 2 or 3 dates for "friendlies", one of which would therefore have to be used resulting in a loss to the FAI of somewhere between €300/€500k if the money is going to Davey L. That's not going to happen especially with the Association struggling financially. No other organisation would do it either so pointing the finger at the FAI is harsh. He played 26 times for Ireland. What about Derby, Birmingham and Oxford for whom he played almost 350 times ?

So for those who advocate a testimonial, when would it be and what sides would participate? I think you can forget about international sides for the reasons explained above. It would have to be something like Man U (reserves) vs Celtic (reserves) to draw any sort of decent crowd.

theworm2345
09/10/2012, 3:05 PM
YBIG organized the testimonial dinner for him a few years back and I think a good few ex-players showed up. As I recall the FAI only do testimonials for players with 50 or more caps. I think Oxford did hold a testimonial for him as well. You can have a look on YBIG (if you are willing to shift through a couple of years of ****e) for the old thread.

KK77
11/10/2012, 9:48 AM
I believe he has an autobography out or coming out. It's called Running Through Walls.

In an exclusive extract from his brand new autobiography Running Through Walls, former Ireland, Derby, Birmingham and Oxford player Dave Langan reveals all about his time homeless while working as a key-keeper for Peterborough town council , a position he was eligible for due to his footballing injuries making him ‘disabled’.

In Running Through Walls, Langan talks about the highs and lows of his amazing career, from fetching whiskey for Brian Clough as an apprentice at Derby to lining out for Ireland before the crushing news that Jack Charlton would not be taking him to Euro ’88 and a career and life blighted by injury – Running Through Walls tells the story of a true football man whose life was equally enriched and diminished by his dedication to the sport.

Running Through Walls is written by Dave Langan with Trevor Keane and regular SportsNewsIRELAND contributor Alan Conway and is available to BUY ONLINE HERE.

HOMELESSNESS
As well as dealing with the injuries, the drinking, the gambling, the poor decisions and the marriage breakdowns not to mention missing out on my children’s lives, one of the toughest parts of my life came about six years ago when I was left homeless and living in the basement of the town hall.

For anyone that has ever had to endure having no home to go to in the evening, they will know the feeling of shame, depression and failure that torments you as you lie on a makeshift bed trying to figure out where did it go wrong? It is not a nice feeling when you know you have nowhere to go and that no one wants you.

Here I was, a former Ireland international who had played for some of the biggest clubs in England, had won the Milk Cup and yet I could not afford to even rent a bedsit. I had well and truly hit the bottom. At the time I had nothing, my second marriage had fallen apart and I had left home, any money I was earning was helping to pay the bills for my estranged wife and kids, however, I had nowhere to go.

Once again I had managed to mess things up and in the end I got a small camp bed, the ones that you use when camping and set up shop in the basement of the town hall. It was a fold-up bed and not the most comfortable, although needs must. That bed certainly did not help with the back problems I experienced then and now.

A few of the lads I worked with knew of my situation and they kept my secret. I would work late in the evening, at that time I was working a lot of extra hours, some times my day did not finish until about 11pm which suited.When I was finished I would head downstairs to the basement, pull out my camp bed and a few blankets that some lads had given me and lie there thinking about my life.

Lying in that bed was the hardest thing not just for my back but for my well-being, I would think about everything, absolutely everything that had happened in my life and go over it many times during the night. Any sleep I did get was fitful, I never felt rested. Because it was an old building and I was in the basement, as well as the noises in my head I also had to listen to every noise that made its way through the building.

I often felt as though there was someone down in that big dark basement with me. At 5.30am every morning the cleaners would come in to start their morning work and that was my alarm, I would get up and thankfully there was a shower in the basement, so I would wash,make myself some breakfast in the kitchen and then be ready to go for the day.

On my days off I would walk the towpath, go for a few drinks and watch a game. I was lucky in that I had an access card so I could come and go as I pleased.

It was very hard at that time; I know I was very depressed. I did not want to talk to anyone especially my family. I told them that I was in digs at the time and had no landline installed yet to talk to them, I used to text them to ring me on a payphone.

I tried to convince them that everything was okay but I think they could tell that something was up with me.Of course when I had a drink in me I would break down and just cry down the phone without making any sense, it was a tough time for my mother and sisters.

I then told a form of the truth in that I said that I had left home and I was living in a lovely room in the town hall, I did not want to hurt my mother any more than I already had. So I omitted to tell them that the lovely room I had was actually a store cupboard.

It actually crossed my mind a couple of times to pack in my so-called life in England and return home to Dublin. I remember one trip home, I went as far as looking at housing schemes in the city and was about to submit an application when the guy there told me there were thousands on the list and it would be a while before I got one, so that put me off. I also headed down to the dole office to sign for forms but in the end I decided that my life, as bad as it was, was in England and at the very least I had a job there.

If I had gone home I would have ended up living with my mother back in Ringsend with no friends about, everyone I had known as a child had moved on.

It all eventually came to a head as I got found out when someone told on me and the chief executive of the council said I could not go on living in the basement and that they would help me find some digs.

Another person who helped me around that time was Terry Conroy, the former Stoke and Ireland international. Conroy was working for the FAI at the time and he came up to see if I was okay.

Conroy actually gave me some money; a couple of hundred quid to help me get sorted with my digs. I was delighted and fair play toTerry, he was as good to me as anyone I had known through the years. I told my family that I had new digs and had managed to get a phone in so they could call and speak to me. It was like a massive weight had been lifted off me.

One of the shining lights during that time was the weekend training sessions I did with local kids, it was an opportunity to see my son and daughter too and I really enjoyed spending the time with them. It was also a buzz being back in football and training those 20 plus kids, including my own children gave me a real good feeling; it was the highlight of my weeks in those dark days.

Thankfully my kids never found out where I was living at the time.

The FAI, via Terry, kept in contact with me,Terry was great to keep in touch, I remember him driving down from Stoke to see how I was one time. He told me to meet him at the Great Northern Hotel that was near the railway station, it was close to my digs at the time and the landlady gave me a lift over.

When I saw Terry he came over and gave me a big hug and I just started crying in his arms, I was overcome with emotion and was grateful for the help they had given me.Terry would often give me a couple of quid to get back and he kept in contact with me.

ArdeeBhoy
11/10/2012, 12:15 PM
Erm, that's what the Facebook link referred to...

Junior
15/10/2012, 9:55 AM
Erm, that's what the Facebook link referred to...

Yer a contrary old fcuker Mark. Perhaps you should have..erm...put a little description about what your link referred to....erm...then posters could see whether its worth clicking on or not....

BonnieShels
18/10/2012, 5:39 PM
On The Last Word now.

BonnieShels
18/10/2012, 7:04 PM
And now gonna be on Newstalk's Off The Ball.

OwlsFan
19/10/2012, 1:32 PM
Yes heard it. Said he went on a downward spiral when Jack didn't pick him for Euro 88. Devastated was the word he used but I don't remember any controversy about that at the time. I don't think he was playing top level football.

I won't get in to any deeper but he suffered from depression and became an alcoholic and hence the reason he lost everything. Very sad but I am sure many of us know people in similar terrible situations.

I will always remember him as the overlapping full back (not sure Trapp would select him) who liked to get stuck in.

CraftyToePoke
19/10/2012, 1:59 PM
Said he went on a downward spiral when Jack didn't pick him for Euro 88

Who would have been taken ahead of him so ? Chris Morris and who else?

Stuttgart88
19/10/2012, 2:03 PM
John Anderson was back-up RB I think.

Junior
19/10/2012, 2:19 PM
John Anderson was back-up RB I think.

Correct, I looked this up recently and tbh I had never heard of Anderson, though Davey Langan I was well aware of even before his more recently publicised issues over the last 20years or so.

CraftyToePoke
19/10/2012, 2:25 PM
Correct, I looked this up recently and tbh I had never heard of Anderson, though Davey Langan I was well aware of even before his more recently publicised issues over the last 20years or so.

So what were their respective club career trajectories at the time does anyone recall ? Should he have been taken? He was on the field the day we beat Brazil only a year previous I'm nearly sure.

Junior
19/10/2012, 2:30 PM
a quick scan of wiki

Anderson - Last cap with Ireland was Oct-88. So no contribution at Euro88 and nothing afterwards really. Was with Newcastle from 82-92 (299 appearances)
Langan - He featured throughout the qualifiers and his last cap was during Euro qualifiers for 88. Looks like he played a few games with Bournemouth and Peterborough before finishing in 89 (result of the ongoing Injury problems)

Colbert Report
19/10/2012, 4:57 PM
Is the book any good? I heard him on OTB last night and he mentioned that he had massive problems with the drink, but didn't deny still being a drinker. He said something like "I barely touch the stuff anymore". Alcoholics can't have just one and be fine like the rest of us, just ask Paul McGrath.

ArdeeBhoy
19/10/2012, 11:21 PM
Actually some can. Especially if they're on medication.

Have encountered enough...

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2012, 1:37 AM
Is the book any good? I heard him on OTB last night and he mentioned that he had massive problems with the drink, but didn't deny still being a drinker. He said something like "I barely touch the stuff anymore". Alcoholics can't have just one and be fine like the rest of us, just ask Paul McGrath.
That's a bit of an AA myth, like needing to surrender yourself to a higher power. Some people just conquer their alcoholism rather than submitting to it.

CraftyToePoke
15/07/2013, 11:41 PM
Selling his medals now to make ends meet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23306680

tetsujin1979
16/07/2013, 9:33 AM
Oxford United fans have a campaign to buy his medals for permanent display in the stadium - http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/00100713-langan-905441.aspx
YBIG are starting a similar campaign to buy his Ireland caps