PDA

View Full Version : League of Ireland - Week 4.

nigel-harps1954
28/03/2014, 2:28 PM
Premier Division:

Friday March 28th:

Shamrock Rovers v Sligo Rovers (Live on RTE Two 7:05)
Athlone Town v Cork City
Bray Wanderers v UCD
Derry City v St. Patrick's Athletic
Dundalk v Bohemians
Limerick v Drogheda United

First Division:

Friday March 28th:

Waterford United v Wexford Youths

Saturday March 29th:

Finn Harps v Galway United
Cobh Ramblers v Longford Town

Sunday March 30th:

Shamrock Rovers B v Shelbourne

nigel-harps1954
28/03/2014, 2:31 PM
Very quiet on here today, so I thought I'd kickstart things with the weekend thread. Looking forward to catching some of the live match on TV tonight, should be a good game. Fancy a couple of shocks this weekend too. Athlone, Bohs and Wexford could be potential upsets and maybe worth a few quid.

adamd164
28/03/2014, 2:38 PM
Athlone are on the back of 3 defeats, so I expect they'll be fired up, should make for a tough game.

We've also got a few injuries and they mostly happen to be up front, so they might be worth a few quid. Having said that, we were missing the same players last week and still got a few goals, so if we play to our potential I think we should win.

As for the televised game, it's tough to call.. (Shamrock) Rovers will really want to lay down a marker and get 3 points out of this, it'll be their toughest test so far. Sligo probably would be happy with a draw.

ger121
28/03/2014, 6:09 PM
I see what people meant about the Rovers fella on the megaphone. Is there an RTE mic over near them?

adamd164
28/03/2014, 6:28 PM
Croly gets my respect for not doing live interviews during the game with RTE. It's a ridiculous practice.

NeverFeltBetter
28/03/2014, 6:31 PM
Shams on top so far. One up and looks like they could have had a penalty/red card for the Sligo keeper just now.

redarmyfaction
28/03/2014, 8:23 PM
I thought the televised.could have went any off three ways, not happy with the result but not whinging either except the commentary team were just as nauseating as they were for Derry at tallaght.

NeverFeltBetter
28/03/2014, 8:25 PM
Floodlight failure in Thomond.

SeanDrog
28/03/2014, 8:31 PM

Ah man !!!!!!!!!

wonder88
28/03/2014, 8:34 PM
Looks like a bit of a game at Bray for visit of UCD 3 all now few minutes left.

SeanDrog
28/03/2014, 8:39 PM
Any update on the floodlights yet?

redarmyfaction
28/03/2014, 8:46 PM

There its no doubt out will be called off I had drogs in a double with cork another bizarre snatch by defeat from my jaws of victory

SeanDrog
28/03/2014, 8:49 PM
Damn ... So given we where one nil up how would a replay work?

NeverFeltBetter
28/03/2014, 8:50 PM
Off for around ten minutes. Game finished 1-0 Drogs. There would have been no replay I believe, only ten minutes were left, the result just would have stood.

SeanDrog
28/03/2014, 8:51 PM
So we won (plz say we won lol)

Acer
28/03/2014, 9:06 PM
We won!

Another good result for us. We're rolling nicely.

Calcio Jack
28/03/2014, 9:11 PM
Cracking game in Tallaght , Rovers miles better than at any time over previous two seasons - early days but think we have enough about us to mount a title challenge albeit poorest Sligo team I've seen in a good few years although when Ndo came on they looked much better, he still has the skill big question does he still have 90 minutes in him ?

White Horse
28/03/2014, 9:27 PM
Fair result at Oriel Park. Very good defensive performance by Bohs.

Charlie Darwin
28/03/2014, 9:29 PM
I see what people meant about the Rovers fella on the megaphone. Is there an RTE mic over near them?
He was right below the main TV camera, yeah.

Thought that was as well as Rovers have played in 12 months for the first 60 minutes or so. Sligo might as well not have been playing for the first 20 minutes of the second half and we really should have put the game beyond them then. Sligo did very well to wrest some initiative after Ndo came on. They battered us for a while and Croly was way too slow to change around a tiring midfield. Sligo only ever really looked like scoring from a Rovers mistake but we always looked like making one at the back. Odhiambo and Killer seemed to be having their own personal duel for who could miss the most open goals, did my heart no favours anyway. Pleased overall.

pineapple stu
28/03/2014, 9:54 PM
Great game in the Carlisle. More goals there than the rest of the Premier put together!

Thought Bray were a bit unfortunate; they played quite well. Certainly they're better than last year, when they were a First Division team with Jason Byrne up front. But their keeper probably cost them the game with a stupid sending off. And I love that the ref - though he saw the incident - didn't bother even looking at the player when he was sending him off. Was calling over our player to book him for a foul and just flashed a red at the keeper while still calling our player over. Most nonchalant red ever!

Top half now. :eek:

Edit - ooh, joint top scorers in the league too!

strikeforce
29/03/2014, 8:03 AM
Its going to be some game in Cork next Friday night. Both clubs flying at the moment in fairness to them. 6,000 plus at this game I'd say.

Dalymountrower
29/03/2014, 9:30 AM
Great game in the Carlisle. More goals there than the rest of the Premier put together!

Thought Bray were a bit unfortunate; they played quite well. Certainly they're better than last year, when they were a First Division team with Jason Byrne up front. But their keeper probably cost them the game with a stupid sending off. And I love that the ref - though he saw the incident - didn't bother even looking at the player when he was sending him off. Was calling over our player to book him for a foul and just flashed a red at the keeper while still calling our player over. Most nonchalant red ever!

Top half now. :eek:

Edit - ooh, joint top scorers in the league too!
Puts our 3-0 win over such a top half crack outfit into perspective!

adamd164
29/03/2014, 10:51 AM
Its going to be some game in Cork next Friday night. Both clubs flying at the moment in fairness to them. 6,000 plus at this game I'd say.

RTE cameras will be at Pats v Dundalk so we should at least match the attendance in the first round of games. I'm sure Rovers will bring down a good few.

On last night, clean sheet, 3 points, good night's work for us. Still had 3 strikers out injured, Elding due back next week though so that should help us up top.

Town Legend
29/03/2014, 5:48 PM
Cobh-Longford called off. Long trip home for some.

Longfordian
29/03/2014, 6:28 PM
A lot of unhappy Longford fans and players. Judging by the pictures of the pitch it should never have been left so late.

Town Legend
29/03/2014, 6:40 PM
Seen Hunty's pic of the goalmouth. If that pitch supposedly passed an earlier pitch inspection they must of pumped tanks of water onto it!! There's ducks swimming on it!!

Longfordian
29/03/2014, 6:56 PM
Here's a pic for context
http://i57.tinypic.com/116n9fd.jpg

Town Legend
29/03/2014, 7:29 PM
In other news, Galway one up in Ballybofey. Galway down to 10. O'Brien sent off on 26 mins, I take it that its the majestical Derek O'Brien that seen red!

Longfordian
29/03/2014, 7:39 PM
Sure is. Sorely missed at the CCS.

Longfordian
29/03/2014, 8:24 PM
1-1 in Fun Park now. Paul McVeigh

nigel-harps1954
29/03/2014, 10:36 PM
Poor game in Finn Park. Harps were the worst they've been all season, Galway weren't up to an awful lot either. Derek O'Brien got himself sent off for screaming at a player he just hacked down.

adamd164
30/03/2014, 11:07 AM
Waterford must be atrocious to say they lost at home to Wexford.

So not much prospect of them coming up again this year it seems...

Acornvilla
30/03/2014, 1:46 PM
Derek O' Brien, a great lad.

nigel-harps1954
30/03/2014, 2:45 PM

In fairness to him, the tackle itself wasn't a sending off, nowhere near it. Can understand any confusion around him being sent off however, one of the stranger decisions I've seen in Finn Park over the years, but his reaction to the challenge was insane. Ref had his hand in his pocket to get a yellow card out before O'Brien decided to go completely nuts for no apparent reason.

sadloserkid
30/03/2014, 2:51 PM
O'Brien decided to go completely nuts for no apparent reason.

The reason is simple, it's because he's:

nigel-harps1954
30/03/2014, 3:29 PM
1-1 in Tallaght between Shamrock Rovers B and Shelbourne.

Acornvilla
30/03/2014, 3:31 PM
I wish we kept hold of Purdy :(

Martinho II
30/03/2014, 5:27 PM
was at above game purdy scored a screamer.. wish we still had him! shels missed a lot of chances.. rovers hit the crossbar in 2nd half..

pineapple stu
01/04/2014, 2:26 PM
Bray v UCD goals -

qxA7GjjjJug
I love the sending off. Ref didn't even look at the player. Flashed him a quick red card while still calling our player over. No chance of any sort of protest from the Bray keeper. Would like to see more dismissals like that!