PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers v Liverpool

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Trainee
25/03/2014, 5:33 PM
Big announcement tomorrow that Shamrock rovers will be playing Liverpool in Aviva in May

Duffman
25/03/2014, 11:15 PM
Suppose this'll be the warrior kit link up?

ATFC-1887
26/03/2014, 1:16 AM
I may actually go to this and support Rovers. Sickens me when i seen this on facebook and the amount of mention Liverpool but nothing about Rovers. These type of games **** me off big time. Im sure the Aviva will be packed and all the barstoolers will be out in force that day.

TheBoss
26/03/2014, 1:26 AM
Players that will be at World Cup will likely be missing from Liverpool, so maybe Rovers have a chance :rolleyes:

moonman
26/03/2014, 4:52 AM
It,ll b more or less along the same lines as what they brought to cork in 2009 , lots of reserves & academy players !!!

Neish
26/03/2014, 7:47 AM
I may actually go to this and support Rovers. Sickens me when i seen this on facebook and the amount of mention Liverpool but nothing about Rovers. These type of games **** me off big time. Im sure the Aviva will be packed and all the barstoolers will be out in force that day.

Whats wrong with it? Yeah the stadium will be probably 70-80% Liverpool fans but it will bring some money in for Rovers, and who knows may even get some intrested in the league.

Any LOI club that refused such an offer regardless of what kinda team Liverpool will field would be crazy

adamd164
26/03/2014, 9:06 AM
Don't think Rovers will make the big money off this, they'll get an appearance fee more than likely.

pineapple stu
26/03/2014, 9:06 AM
It,ll b more or less along the same lines as what they brought to cork in 2009 , lots of reserves & academy players !!!
Not for a game in Lansdowne Road, I wouldn't have thought.

Jofspring
26/03/2014, 10:28 AM
Don't think Rovers will make the big money off this, they'll get an appearance fee more than likely.

Appearance fee will prob be about 30,000 at a guess. Nothing wrong with that in your pocket for a days work.

Dodge
26/03/2014, 10:31 AM
Appearance fee will prob be about 30,000 at a guess. Nothing wrong with that in your pocket for a days work.

What makes you pick that figure?

adamd164
26/03/2014, 10:46 AM
Agree that anything they get is a bonus and of course they're right to take it.

Are the Rovers tickets for the away section in Lansdowne or is there segregation?! Irish Liverpool fans are an incredibly annoying bunch.

moonman
26/03/2014, 11:10 AM
Not for a game in Lansdowne Road, I wouldn't have thought.

its not a pre season game and after a long premiership season im sure the 1st team players will be looking forward to the break rather than coming over to play rovers !!!!

Yossarian
26/03/2014, 11:39 AM
its not a pre season game and after a long premiership season im sure the 1st team players will be looking forward to the break rather than coming over to play rovers !!!!

The players wouldn't get a choice. If Liverpool are getting a decent appearance fee it's probably based on first team players playing and they will take the money and bring a strong team. I'd imagine Rovers would actually put out a weakened team as it'll be two days before a league game.
I'd imagine Rovers will get a token amount for it.

moonman
26/03/2014, 11:51 AM
The players wouldn't get a choice. If Liverpool are getting a decent appearance fee it's probably based on first team players playing and they will take the money and bring a strong team. I'd imagine Rovers would actually put out a weakened team as it'll be two days before a league game.
I'd imagine Rovers will get a token amount for it.

big matter of the world cup too which will rule out all the big guns who people want to see eg. gerrard, suarez , sturridge !!! time will tell i suppose !!!!

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2014, 12:06 PM
big matter of the world cup too which will rule out all the big guns who people want to see eg. gerrard, suarez , sturridge !!! time will tell i suppose !!!!
Liverpool aren't playing in the World Cup and there's no internationals until the end of May so they'll play whoever they want. Barcelona, Chelsea, etc will all be off in China or wherever flogging their World Cup stars so I doubt Liverpool will be any different.

Agree that anything they get is a bonus and of course they're right to take it.

Are the Rovers tickets for the away section in Lansdowne or is there segregation?! Irish Liverpool fans are an incredibly annoying bunch.
I'd imagine it will be segregated to keep those animals away from the fine upstanding Liverpool fans. Nah, I assume it will be general admission and Rovers will probably have a block the club will sell itself.

Ezeikial
26/03/2014, 12:14 PM
I'd imagine Rovers would actually put out a weakened team as it'll be two days before a league game.

At least we've got to the real question - is it Rovers A or B ?

moonman
26/03/2014, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Charlie Darwin;1743703]Liverpool aren't playing in the World Cup and there's no internationals until the end of May so they'll play whoever they want. Barcelona, Chelsea, etc will all be off in China or wherever flogging their World Cup stars so I doubt Liverpool will be any different.

but half the 1st team are so to be honest i doubt they give 2 hoots about playing rovers !!!! obviously rovers want to draw a good crowd and by making sure that 1st team players are on show but lads lets be honest hodgson, wilmots etc wont leave there players get injured in a money spinner post season friendly might get coutinho, aspas and a few squad players instead !!!!

Yossarian
26/03/2014, 12:53 PM
but half the 1st team are so to be honest i doubt they give 2 hoots about playing rovers !!!! obviously rovers want to draw a good crowd and by making sure that 1st team players are on show but lads lets be honest hodgson, wilmots etc wont leave there players get injured in a money spinner post season friendly might get coutinho, aspas and a few squad players instead !!!!

Firstly, this organising of this friendly has nothing to do with Rovers. They just happened to be the team that the FAI or the management group organising it are putting up as opposition for Liverpool.

As for the international managers, this is outside their control as it's still in club season time so it's nothing to do with them. As already stated the clubs will do whatever they can to make money and players will have no input in the decision making.

Neish
26/03/2014, 12:55 PM
Irish Liverpool fans are an incredibly annoying bunch.

A lot are, but I would say the same about Man Utd & Celtic fans, also Arsenal, Chelsea etc(to a lesser degree) . And I'm a United fan

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2014, 1:14 PM
Once again, Hodgson isn't the manager of Liverpool and Liverpool aren't playing at the World Cup. Liverpool have full access to all of their players up until May 18th. They will play whatever players they want to play in order to fulfil their commercial obligations.

adamd164
26/03/2014, 1:21 PM
They will play whatever players they want to play in order to fulfil their commercial obligations.

That's one of the more sinister aspects of these friendlies it must be said; they're an avenue for English clubs to strengthen and consolidate their support bases over here. There's a reason Liverpool are coming back over so soon.

The goons at FAI HQ are happy because their coffers get lined, plus most of them are probably supporting Liverpool.

Was it Bernard O'Byrne who was trying to lead a fans takeover of Liverpool at one stage?! Lol!!

Jofspring
26/03/2014, 1:23 PM
What makes you pick that figure?

Wasn't the figure €30,000 or €35,000 for the Real Madrid game? Just taking it as an example.

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2014, 1:30 PM
That's one of the more sinister aspects of these friendlies it must be said; they're an avenue for English clubs to strengthen and consolidate their support bases over here. There's a reason Liverpool are coming back over so soon.

The goons at FAI HQ are happy because their coffers get lined, plus most of them are probably supporting Liverpool.

Was it Bernard O'Byrne who was trying to lead a fans takeover of Liverpool at one stage?! Lol!!
I don't know if it will do much to consolidate their fanbase over here - they've been far too popular for too long to need to do that. I'd say they're just in it for the cash. I assume there'll be a decent TV deal for it, especially as nobody here or in the UK is interested in the Europa League.

Dodge
26/03/2014, 1:34 PM
Wasn't the figure €30,000 or €35,000 for the Real Madrid game? Just taking it as an example.

No, was half that.

Liverpool confirm World cup players won't be there

http://www.lfctour.com/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-confirm-dublin-fixture-in-may

Liverpool FC will field a first team squad barring any injuries or selection for national team duty for the upcoming World Cup.

KK77
26/03/2014, 2:03 PM
Liverpool have made it clear World Cup players won't travel. Fairly obvious that would be the case with the World Cup a month away. Injured players means players who are receiving treatment in Marbella!

Sligo Hoops.
26/03/2014, 3:46 PM
I wonder will history repeat itself ? The night Rovers played Liverpool in Milltown in 1982 was the night of a General Election.

dundalkfc10
26/03/2014, 4:06 PM
Liverpool aren't playing in the World Cup and there's no internationals until the end of May so they'll play whoever they want. Barcelona, Chelsea, etc will all be off in China or wherever flogging their World Cup stars so I doubt Liverpool will be any different.

I'd imagine it will be segregated to keep those animals away from the fine upstanding Liverpool fans. Nah, I assume it will be general admission and Rovers will probably have a block the club will sell itself.

Once again, Hodgson isn't the manager of Liverpool and Liverpool aren't playing at the World Cup. Liverpool have full access to all of their players up until May 18th. They will play whatever players they want to play in order to fulfil their commercial obligations.

So you were wrong, Liverpool wont be sending any players playing in the World Cup. Liverpool U-21/2 or 3 first team squad members V Rovers, and they have the cheek to charge €20+ into this?

pineapple stu
26/03/2014, 4:13 PM
If people have the cheek to pay twenty quid, why shouldn't they have the cheek to charge it?

How many of their players would be at the World Cup anyway? Going off wiki, they could still bring a squad of -

Brad Jones?
Jose Enrique
Dan Agger
Luis Alberto
Iago Aspas
Coutinho
Martin Skrtel
Joe Allen
Raheem Sterling
Aly Cissokho
Jon Flanagan
Martin Kelly

Plenty enough there to sell out Lansdowne I'd say, unfortunately.

Ezeikial
26/03/2014, 4:20 PM
There are loads of folk out there who will pay a whole lot more then €20 to see this stupendous occasion.

Watching Boccer trying to kick lumps outta anyone he can catch might just be worth it!

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2014, 4:27 PM
So you were wrong, Liverpool wont be sending any players playing in the World Cup. Liverpool U-21/2 or 3 first team squad members V Rovers, and they have the cheek to charge €20+ into this?
Yeah, I was wrong. Liverpool could put out a decent team of non-World Cup players so maybe they will. I won't be going either way.

ThePrisoner
26/03/2014, 4:40 PM
Can somebody clear up a point for me? Is it the FAI or Shams that are organising this match?

If it's the FAI doing a fund raiser, why are Shams getting the gig and the cheque? Why not Pats as the league champions? Or a LOI XI? Gives the perception that Shams get preferential treatment from the FAI harder to argue against. Some say that perception is reality.

If Shams have organised this themselves, fair play to them and well done.

Would be interested to hear the views of the Limerick supporters in view of their attempt to bring Barcelona (?) to Thomond Park a few years back.

dundalkfc10
26/03/2014, 5:42 PM
If people have the cheek to pay twenty quid, why shouldn't they have the cheek to charge it?

How many of their players would be at the World Cup anyway? Going off wiki, they could still bring a squad of -

Brad Jones?
Jose Enrique
Dan Agger
Luis Alberto
Iago Aspas
Coutinho
Martin Skrtel
Joe Allen
Raheem Sterling
Aly Cissokho
Jon Flanagan
Martin Kelly

Plenty enough there to sell out Lansdowne I'd say, unfortunately.

The 3 in Bold all have International Friendlies before the World Cup so cant see them playing.
Sterling could still go to the World Cup yet aswell

Still agree the rest will prob bring out a good few to lansdowne but with its been at 5.30 on a Weds, it wont sell out

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2014, 5:50 PM
Why would they leave out a player because he has an international friendly two weeks later?

PartySaint
26/03/2014, 6:37 PM
It's will be a Liverpool 11 made up of players most of us have never heard of but if you put it in a nice stadium and the FAI advertise well enough then Irish Liverpool fans are definitely stupid enough to pay €20/€30 to go see them and think it's them being a hardcore supporter.

It's a win win for everyone involved really

ger121
26/03/2014, 7:29 PM
Just seen it flick up on SSN. I'd be surprised it if wasn't full.

moonman
26/03/2014, 8:13 PM
No, was half that.

Liverpool confirm World cup players won't be there

http://www.lfctour.com/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-confirm-dublin-fixture-in-may

Liverpool FC will field a first team squad barring any injuries or selection for national team duty for the upcoming World Cup.

this was always going to be the case but lads with the rovers blinkers on thought otherwise !!!!

Dodge
26/03/2014, 8:31 PM
Why blinkers? Why would Rovers fans care what the liverpool team is? They'd be going to see their own team surely?

Who cares if anyone stupid enough to think they're seeing Suarez for €30-50 quid feels ripped off. Take their money and laugh at them

moonman
26/03/2014, 8:57 PM
Why blinkers? Why would Rovers fans care what the liverpool team is? They'd be going to see their own team surely?

Who cares if anyone stupid enough to think they're seeing Suarez for €30-50 quid feels ripped off. Take their money and laugh at them

rovers want to sell as many tickets as possible to get a good return on this money spinner and the stars of Liverpool are who people will pay to see not academy players !!! do the maths !!!

PartySaint
26/03/2014, 10:29 PM
rovers want to sell as many tickets as possible to get a good return on this money spinner and the stars of Liverpool are who people will pay to see not academy players !!! do the maths !!!

I'd imagine Rovers are getting a flat fee and ticket sales won't affect them.

moonman
27/03/2014, 1:31 AM
I'd imagine Rovers are getting a flat fee and ticket sales won't affect them.

surely the flat rate that you are suggesting will depend on how many people are in the ground , cant see them getting the same flat rate if there's only a few thousand at it !!!! must be some sort of clause in place regarding ticket sales and what revenue rovers will get out of it after the FAI take there healthy share !!!!

Dalymountrower
27/03/2014, 6:32 AM
If Rovers got the gig and they get some money, fair play to them. That they have to play the role of the Washington Generals to Liverpools Globetrotters is just something every club has to put up with to make a few bob. Equivalent to , but not as bad as, Shels and then Bohs, playing TV`s " The Dream Team. You take the money, go along with the hype, but just feel a bit dirty afterwards

Dodge
27/03/2014, 9:24 AM
surely the flat rate that you are suggesting will depend on how many people are in the ground , cant see them getting the same flat rate if there's only a few thousand at it !!!!

I don't think you understand the concept of flat rate

moonman
27/03/2014, 9:34 AM
I don't think you understand the concept of flat rate

flat rate sounds great if its sold out , if theres a 1000 fans there then that flat rate wont cover the lights for the night never mind pay both clubs !!! do the fcuking maths here !!! Rovers will get a % of ticket sales like the
fai and liverpool will get a rate for coming over !!!!

pineapple stu
27/03/2014, 10:14 AM
Rovers won't get a percentage of ticket sales. There won't be anything like 1000 at the game, so covering costs isn't an issue. Throw Rovers E20k (or whatever keeps them happy, and best of luck to them with it obviously) and keep the rest of the money for Liverpool/the FAI.

Why should Rovers get more the more people pay in? This isn't Rovers' game.

PartySaint
27/03/2014, 10:32 AM
flat rate sounds great if its sold out , if theres a 1000 fans there then that flat rate wont cover the lights for the night never mind pay both clubs !!! do the fcuking maths here !!! Rovers will get a % of ticket sales like the
fai and liverpool will get a rate for coming over !!!!

You're still not getting it. Rovers will probably get paid even before the game takes place. I't will make no difference to them if there's 100 there or 50,000. The gamble with how many people show up is on the FAI's shoulders.

Let's for arguments sake say Rovers are getting €30,000. If 100 people show up they still get that €30,000 if 50,000 show up they still get €30,000

moonman
27/03/2014, 10:39 AM
You're still not getting it. Rovers will probably get paid even before the game takes place. I't will make no difference to them if there's 100 there or 50,000. The gamble with how many people show up is on the FAI's shoulders.

Let's for arguments sake say Rovers are getting €30,000. If 100 people show up they still get that €30,000 if 50,000 show up they still get €30,000

so the fai will shell out more money to both clubs then what there going to take in , no wonder the country is fcuked

pineapple stu
27/03/2014, 10:49 AM
so the fai will shell out more money to both clubs then what there going to take in
I can't even begin to fathom the jump in logic that has led to that conclusion. Could you elaborate a bit?

If it's twenty quid a ticket and Rovers' fee is E20k, then the first 1000 people through the gates pay Rovers' fee. Do you think the crowd will end there? Do you think a club like Liverpool - who've played these kind of games in other countries - have no grasp of the economics involved?

A percentage fee for Rovers would be more expensive than a flat fee, and that defeats the point of this game.

moonman
27/03/2014, 10:57 AM
I can't even begin to fathom the jump in logic that has led to that conclusion. Could you elaborate a bit?

If it's twenty quid a ticket and Rovers' fee is E20k, then the first 1000 people through the gates pay Rovers' fee. Do you think the crowd will end there? Do you think a club like Liverpool - who've played these kind of games in other countries - have no grasp of the economics involved?

A percentage fee for Rovers would be more expensive than a flat fee, and that defeats the point of this game.

look to be honest ive lost interest here , i couldnt care if no body turns up , either way i wont be given my money to rovers or the fai to see 2 depleted teams play a game of ball that no player on show has any interest in playing !!! i.d rather pay money to the 2 fai junior cup finalists who play a few weeks later at the same venue !!!!

pineapple stu
27/03/2014, 11:06 AM
You could just acknowledge that we're right rather than go completely off tangent. It'd save on exclamation marks too.

adamd164
27/03/2014, 11:10 AM
Even though it's probably an appearance fee, the bottom line is that it's a nice little earner for Rovers, they'll probably get more from this than they would winning the setanta cup.

The FAI just needed someone to play, they clearly don't give a damn beyond that.

Although the likes of Pats might feel aggrieved that they were overlooked for the game as champions.