PDA

View Full Version : Favourite songs of the year

Pages : [1] 2

gustavo
27/10/2004, 11:35 AM
whats every1s favourite songs of the year so far ?
mine are in no order

strokes reptilia
keane everybodys changing
jay z 99 problems
killers mr brightside
franz ferdinand take me out
britney spears every time (seriously!)
killers all these things that i have done
usher yeah
franz ferdinand matinee
snow patrol run

Peadar
27/10/2004, 12:09 PM
Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
JoJo - Leave (Get Out)
Usher - Yeah
Keane - Bedshaped
Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Damien Rice - Cannonball
Norah Jones - Sunrise (this year?)

inexile
27/10/2004, 12:22 PM
cannonball - damian rice
how come - d12
sick and tired - anastacia
fit but you know it & dry your eyes - the streets

Peadar
27/10/2004, 12:35 PM
Michael Gray - The Weekend

I wanted to put that one in too but spent so long trying to think of who sings "leave (Get Out)" that I forgot about it.

James
27/10/2004, 12:36 PM
ok 1 thing
cannonball is not a 2004 song, plus its muck :)

aidz1
27/10/2004, 12:39 PM
scissor sisters - laura
and that embrace song i heard

Peadar
27/10/2004, 12:44 PM
cannonball is not a 2004 song, plus its muck :)

Grumpy old man! ;)
St, Mary's for the County Final BTW :)
More glory for Johnny C.

fosterdollar
27/10/2004, 12:58 PM
Albums (in no order):

Libertines - The Libertines
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

sylvo
27/10/2004, 1:05 PM
The Killers
All the things that i've done.

Morrissey

First of the gang to die,

Ian Brown
give what you got.

And Gift grub's Roy and Dave duet
Dry your eyes mate.

drinkfeckarse
27/10/2004, 1:15 PM
Not too keen on the song but video of the year has to go to Eric Prydz with Call On Me. ;) ;) :D

inexile
27/10/2004, 1:23 PM
following on from this lads how bout films of the year?
went to see inside im dancing last week it is absolutely brilliant well worth a visit didnt like shark tale though

gustavo
27/10/2004, 1:30 PM
best film of the year ive seen would have to be eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

noby
27/10/2004, 2:24 PM
Ok. 4 things
1. Top of my head, not much stands out from this year, and from the suggestions so far (with the exception of Mozz), my opinion hasn't changed
2. James, you said "ok 1 thing", but made 2 (valid) points
3. Ok, I've only 2 points
4. Are you still reading this?

Pauro 76
27/10/2004, 5:02 PM
Franz Ferdinand "Take Me Out"
Muse "Butterflies and Hurricanes"
Keane "Everybody's Changing"
Snow Patrol "Run"
Embrace "Gravity"
U2 "Vertigo"
Morrissey "First of the gang to die"
Kasabian "Processed Beats"
Ash "Clones"

thecorner
27/10/2004, 5:20 PM
Michael Gray - The Weekend
STONEBRIDGE-PUT EM HIGH
lolas theme
danzel-pump it up
deep dish-flashdance
junior jack-stupid disco

Kowalski
27/10/2004, 6:16 PM
The Frames - Dream Awake
The Killers - Andy, You're A Star
Paddy Casey - Want It, Cant Have It
Modest Mouse - Float On
Snow Patrol - Ways & Means

De Town
27/10/2004, 7:10 PM
Eric Prydz - Call On Me (not just video)
Kasabian - LSF
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
The Rasmus - In The Shadows
N*E*R*D - She wants to move
Usher - Yeah

*EDIT*
Wiley - Wot Do U Call It?
Danzel - Pump It Up (heard it tonight - class)

There is still lots more ;)

thecorner
27/10/2004, 9:21 PM
Eric Prydz - Call On Me (not just video)

CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fosterdollar
28/10/2004, 10:01 AM
anyone noticed how many acts are going all 'covers' for the catch 'em all christmas market:
The Beautiful South
Paul Weller
David Kitt
and that gobsh*te Paddy Casey only ever seems to play cover versions

ccfcman
28/10/2004, 10:33 AM
Jimmy Eat World-Pain
Morrissey-First of the Gang to Die
The Prodigy-Girls
The Killers-Somebody Told Me
The Ordinary Boys-Talk Talk Talk
The Streets-Blinded by the Lights
Chevelle-Vitamin R
Earshot-Wait

Dublin12
28/10/2004, 10:49 AM
Vertigo-u2
Slowhands-interpol
solarized-ian brown

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 11:16 AM
Some Girls - Rachel Stevens

GavinZac
28/10/2004, 11:16 AM
Anastacia - Left Outside Alone

oh
my
god
:D

Kowalski
28/10/2004, 7:36 PM
anyone noticed how many acts are going all 'covers' for the catch 'em all christmas market:
The Beautiful South
Paul Weller
David Kitt
and that gobsh*te Paddy Casey only ever seems to play cover versionsthis my friend sounds like the opinion of someone who's never been to a proper Paddy Casey gig or has'nt bought any of his great albums.
He is one of the best singer/songwriters in the country & the only time he plays covers is at live shows & on today fm ('no diggity' with the dublin gospel choir was a genius idea that sounded great).
Please be more informed before posting silly comments.

Supersonic_779
28/10/2004, 10:03 PM
Ian Brown
give what you got.

Its 'keep what ya got' ;)

Pat O' Banton
28/10/2004, 10:52 PM
Its 'keep what ya got' ;)

You'll have to forgive Sylvo, he still thinks he's down with the kids :eek: :D

onenilgameover
29/10/2004, 12:40 AM
The shins latest album...chutes too narrow...get on it its hot!

noby
29/10/2004, 8:03 AM
The Beautiful South
Paul Weller
David Kitt

Paul Weller has a 'best of' coming out for the christmas market. His covers album is out with a bit.
The Beautiful South's album sounds poor & lazy from what I"ve heard, and I normally like their stuff

fosterdollar
29/10/2004, 8:21 AM
Please be more informed before posting silly comments.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Who says I've never been to a gig? I stand by my point anyway. The man goes on radio promoting himself using covers. FACT.

thecorner
29/10/2004, 9:15 AM
and that gobsh*te Paddy Casey only ever seems to play cover versions

does a great version of hey ya live

thecorner
29/10/2004, 9:16 AM
Danzel - Pump It Up (heard it tonight - class)

you only heard it last night

where have u been :confused:

max power
29/10/2004, 9:24 AM
paddy didn't record the version of no diggity, they only did it as a laugh. but i believe there are plans to record it at the rds show, which might be done for dvd too.

the killers are my band of the year and isn't the corner such a music snob by calling someones choice cheese :rolleyes: ;)

oh the hey yeah version was recorded by 2 fm at oxygen.

De Town
29/10/2004, 9:44 AM
you only heard it last night

where have u been :confused:

Well, I heard it before but didn't really take any notice of it until I saw your post ;)

Babysis
29/10/2004, 10:19 AM
Zutons Album is fantastic!! Pressure point is a great song!

For novelty value, its got to be Goldie looking chain.......you knows it!! ;)

Maz
29/10/2004, 10:23 AM
Kelis- Trick Me
Usher- Yeah
Special D- Come with me
Damien Rice- Cannonball
Maroon 5- mosta their stuff!

oh Luke Kellys album released this year, best of and is fantastic!

Babysis
29/10/2004, 12:18 PM
Damien Rice- Cannonball

A fantastic album, and a great guy live! Good call

ccfcman
29/10/2004, 3:33 PM
Apart from Kasabian, how they heard of them in Longford, I'll never know I'd also say enh-uh *the sound of no in family fortunes :D *

Maz
30/10/2004, 7:05 AM
Oooooh, believe me, the deejays in Blazers have them alright.

There is not one MTV friendly hip hop song that they will leave untouched in the average night. Oh, and maybe throw in a Kylie or two...

Next time I'm going to Blue. It MUST Be better, surely...

they save the nice music for when the cork boys come to visit! However as bad as Blazers is on a Saturday night, thats where the crowd is, no one goes to Blue!!
Go to Blue on a thurs, fri and sun and you will never be disappointed, quality music!

max power
30/10/2004, 9:48 AM
conor how bout ya stay in kerry with ur other music snob mates and discuss the powerful nature of the influence led zeplinn has had on modern music or the reasons for decline and underground push of the dance scene worldwide over the last three years ;)

TheJamaicanP.M.
30/10/2004, 1:14 PM
Oooooh, believe me, the deejays in Blazers have them alright.

There is not one MTV friendly hip hop song that they will leave untouched in the average night. Oh, and maybe throw in a Kylie or two...

Next time I'm going to Blue. It MUST Be better, surely...

Conor, we have evolved quicker than ye monkey-like creatures in South Kerry. Blazers plays some good tunes. Somehow I feel that you probably spend your weekend at ceilis - you with the lads on one side of the dancehall, the lovely farmers daughters on the other side. I can just imagine the local parish priest keeping his eye on proceedings and checking that nobody is dancing too close together. :p

Give me Blazers any day.

Pat O' Banton
01/11/2004, 8:06 AM
Mozza - Last of the Gang
The Killers - All these Things
Beastie Boys - Ch Check It Out
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

... and from the Jeez that really was quite good
Rachel Stevens - Sweet Deams My LA ex
Brittany Spears - Toxic
Go on admit it you liked at least one of these two... ;)

gustavo
03/11/2004, 1:38 PM
yeah pat they were both quite good but i think at least 1 of them was from 2003 :)

Pat O' Banton
05/11/2004, 11:20 AM
yeah pat they were both quite good but i think at least 1 of them was from 2003 :)

When you get to my age all the years just begin to blend into one :eek: ;)

Pat O' Banton
30/11/2004, 7:04 AM
Think its worth resurrecting this to add in Graham Coxon's 'Really Freekin' Out', also I don't think anyones mentioned 'Hey Ya' by Outcast.

Another additions a month on?

fosterdollar
30/11/2004, 8:37 AM
City Of Blinding Lights - U2

Lionel Ritchie
30/11/2004, 8:40 AM
When you get to my age all the years just begin to blend into one :eek: ;)

Absolutley -I'm proud to say I thought scissors sisters "Take your mama" was a Robbie Williams song -not just the first time i heard it either -for about 6 months -I'd tend to change station when i'd hear it so i never got to hear it introduced and as Robbie is a despicable shaved chimp I couldn't bare to listen to it. Similarily, I also thought Keanes "everything changes" was Radiohead moving back towards something more radio friendly. :eek:

Sorry but I'd be sticking a big D- on the class of 04s copybook and telling them to stop cogging their big brothers homework.

Franz ferdinand -the ultimate XTC tribute -resplendentwith blancmange type gulpy vocals

Strokes/Hives/Jet -are actually all the same band working under several names to get extra pay

Damien Rice -y'know if we started taxing the use of the Em7 chord we could put a halt on his and his ilks gallop quite quickly. Seriously we've become far too indulgent of this kind of thing in this country and it's time to consider a cull.

Morrissey - You Are the Quarry was worth it for the two singles and 'Come Back to Camden' but there's some very ordinary stuff on there as well.

fosterdollar
30/11/2004, 8:54 AM
Sorry but I'd be sticking a big D- on the class of 04s copybook and telling them to stop cogging their big brothers homework.

Franz ferdinand -the ultimate XTC tribute -resplendentwith blancmange type gulpy vocals
i'm kinda undecide on these guys. Sometimes i get it and others, nope.

Strokes/Hives/Jet -are actually all the same band working under several names to get extra pay
Think you're way off the mark here. Strokes showed with their second album that they do have intelligent song writing ability and its not just tried and tested formulae they stick to. HIves I havent heard enough of really but wht i did i liked - not much more to add to that. Jet, on the other hand, are just another NME loved shower that wrote a few songs which happened to fit in style-wise with what record cos. were looking for this/last year. I'm still reeling from the loss of what I paid for that album.

Damien Rice -y'know if we started taxing the use of the Em7 chord we could put a halt on his and his ilks gallop quite quickly. Seriously we've become far too indulgent of this kind of thing in this country and it's time to consider a cull.
At last! Fair play to you Lionel. I've been waiting for support on this for so long. It's not that's it's sh!te music per se but it doesnt take very long for it to lose it's freshness. It's typical really, a load of young ones who don't take their music too seriously at the best of times get together to buy Damo Rice, Mic Christopher, AN Other Self-indulgent Ortist CD's and go gigs and the whole thing escalates into a new movement. Sad thing is Nick Drake, David Gray and the like all came along way before these guys but they don't get the same credit (although admittedly D.G. did get a little nauseating on his second round in the charts).

Morrissey - You Are the Quarry was worth it for the two singles and 'Come Back to Camden' but there's some very ordinary stuff on there as well.
Agree completely. But is Moz really class of '04?

Pat O' Banton
30/11/2004, 9:19 AM
Didn't bother with the second Strokes album as I thought the singles sounded pretty much like the first and that was badly overrated. I really am getting old as I've only got one album from this year - The Killers, which I think is a fine investment - as for the rest, I will probably get Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines second effort and thats about it.

Much of everything else seems average; Razorlight surely have the most annoying looking man in pop as their lead (I don't know why he annoys me so much) and had the cheek to rip off the start of Christine by The House of Love and still manage to produce a crap single. Kasabian? I already own Happy Monday's albums so there's no point in buying poor quality imitations. Jet - Mrs O' B wanted to know if Iggy Pop has thought about sueing yet for nicking his 'Lust for Life'. I don't actually mind The Hives although I think in five years time they'll be as well remembered as Moose or Menswear (who are they? exactly.)

And I don't think that this is getting old either, I mean you can tell that Jesus and Mary Chain are influnced by The Beach Boys and the Velvet Underground but they don't sound exactly like them, similarly My Bloody Valentine being influenced by JAMC. Many band today just try to produce something that sounds pretty much a replication of their influnces rather that taking these influnces and doing something with them. Rant over, oh and although the above many be incoherent ramblings its still a damn sight better put together than anything you will read in NME. :mad:

the 12 th man
30/11/2004, 9:31 AM
Rachel Stevens - Sweet Deams My LA ex
Brittany Spears - Toxic
)

the videos were'nt bad either pat....... eh........ :D :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
30/11/2004, 9:34 AM
the videos were'nt bad either pat....... eh........ :D :rolleyes:

Yes the aesthetic value that can be found in this world is truely amazing sometimes :D ;)