PDA

View Full Version : Germany (A) EQ16 - Tuesday, 14th October 2014

DeLorean
21/03/2014, 3:12 PM
Gelsenkirchen (http://www.dfb.de/news/en/e-national-team-men/argentina-clash-precedes-euro-qualifiers/56548.html) has been confirmed for our fixture. (K/O 19:45 Irish Time)

The Scots are playing them in Dortmund. (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26688914)

Stuttgart88
24/03/2014, 6:45 PM
Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Cologne nearest airports.

brendy_éire
30/03/2014, 12:52 AM
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-schedules-special-dortmund-euro-2016-flight-for-ireland-fans

Ryanair putting on extra flights.

Stuttgart88
30/04/2014, 10:20 AM
Any idea when the FAI will be taking applications via the away fans portal?

Stuttgart88
12/05/2014, 6:14 PM
Ticket applications now open via www.fai.ie. Georgia, Germany and Scotland.

aidz1
31/05/2014, 11:57 PM
any recommendations for which town to stay in for this match??
flying in monday, out wednesday.

monday night would be quiet, so any area with a bit of nightlife would be an advantage

paul_oshea
06/08/2014, 12:04 PM
Anyone got a contact in the fai.missed the deadline and sent an email at the weekend but no reply.

ArdeeBhoy
06/08/2014, 10:45 PM
Deadline was 31/7, so might be alright. You have my no, SMS day of the game if not been in touch before.

And to answer the post before, Dortmund/Dusseldorf best options?

Stuttgart88
07/08/2014, 10:56 AM
Paul texted me yesterday with this idea. Train from St. Pancras to Dusseldorf, with a change at both Brussels and Koln looks a good option. Around 110 quid return. Just under 6 hours, so all in all a bit longer than flying if you include getting to airports, checking in and hanging around but I prefer trains.

I think I'll get the 7am train on match day and a mid morning train the day after.

brendy_éire
07/08/2014, 11:23 AM
Anyone got a contact in the fai.missed the deadline and sent an email at the weekend but no reply.

Ring the office. They're usually very good about getting people sorted.

brendy_éire
07/08/2014, 11:28 AM
any recommendations for which town to stay in for this match??
flying in monday, out wednesday.

monday night would be quiet, so any area with a bit of nightlife would be an advantage

Clean missed this earlier.
We're staying in Düsseldorf. Will be my fifth time in the town, stayed there for the Köln match too.
IMO, it's a great some. Good beer, good brewery bars with decent food, and a few nightclubs thrown in as well. Seems relatively busy every night of the week, and the locals will advise you of where to go if you ask.
It's a nice place during the day too. Decent enough architecture, few museums, there's an classic car garage/museum that's open to the public, and of course the Rheinturm, which is a big tower you can go up. Also plenty of boat tours of the Rhein to do.
I absolutely love the place, so couldn't recommend it enough.

paul_oshea
08/08/2014, 10:53 AM
Staying there too brendy, wheres good on a monday night there?

brendy_éire
12/08/2014, 12:40 PM

Altstadt is where you'll probably want to go, basically the old town around in the centre. It's where most of the brewery bars and non-brewery bars are. It's a compact enough area.
We go to Brauerei im Fünchschen on Ratingerstraße for food, which is one of the main drinking streets. Old style decor inside, great beer, great food (think large chunks of meat with spuds and gravy). Always seems busy, and there's a decent chance the staff will be drinking at a faster rate than yourself (really).
You could do a pub crawl of the brewpubs, though some aren't massively busy later on weeknights. Would definitely recommend Zum Uerige on Bergerstraße. It's one of the brewery bars as well, with waiting staff that are famously grumpy. Go there during the day if you can, gets quiet at night.
Other than the brewpubs, pub crawl yourself around the Altstadt, that's what the local seem to do. Et Kabüffke is one of my favourites, on Fingerstraße. It's a wee pub with a big shot selection. Speaking of which, you'll have to try Killepitsch, which is the local herbal liqueur.
Out of the Altstadt, Medienhafen is alright. More 'upmarket and cool', I suppose. People will be more dressed up and drinking cocktails. It's down by the river though, so nice views. It's also got more nightclubs than Altstadt.
And go up the Rheinturm too, I suppose. Nice views at night and you can get a drink up there.

Really looking forward to this trip now actually.

Stuttgart88
12/08/2014, 1:16 PM
I was in a bar in Dusseldorf in 2006 on the way to Koln for a World Cup match. I was with my American boss at the time and as I had always been advocating black pudding to him at work, when he spotted black pudding in the translated menu he ordered it for both of us. Out came a slab of the darkest brown bread ever, a raw onion and raw black pudding! Not quite the fried Irish version I had been harping on about! However, the waiter also brought out two glasses of a beer that accompanied it perfectly, a beer so dark it was almost stout but also very clearly an ale of some sort. Pretty high alcohol content too. The whole package was a gastronomic magnificence.

paul_oshea
12/08/2014, 4:14 PM
Or was it you drank the stout-looking-drink first and then through gleamy eyes you ravaged the plate in front of you?

Stuttgart88
12/08/2014, 5:37 PM
No, it was a perfect case of the beer being right for the food. Classic German precision.

brendy_éire
13/08/2014, 8:55 AM
Out came a slab of the darkest brown bread ever, a raw onion and raw black pudding! Not quite the fried Irish version I had been harping on about! However, the waiter also brought out two glasses of a beer that accompanied it perfectly, a beer so dark it was almost stout but also very clearly an ale of some sort. Pretty high alcohol content too.

Rye bread, Blutwurst and Altbier is what you had. Had the same meal myself, I think in Uerige. Great feed. The raw onion really worked.
Altbier is what you'll get everywhere in Düsseldorf, fantastic stuff. It's usually around 4.5-5% ABV, so you probably had one of their special stronger ones.

DeLorean
13/08/2014, 11:26 AM
Altstadt is where you'll probably want to go, basically the old town around in the centre. It's where most of the brewery bars and non-brewery bars are. It's a compact enough area.
We go to Brauerei im Fünchschen on Ratingerstraße for food, which is one of the main drinking streets. Old style decor inside, great beer, great food (think large chunks of meat with spuds and gravy). Always seems busy, and there's a decent chance the staff will be drinking at a faster rate than yourself (really).
You could do a pub crawl of the brewpubs, though some aren't massively busy later on weeknights. Would definitely recommend Zum Uerige on Bergerstraße. It's one of the brewery bars as well, with waiting staff that are famously grumpy. Go there during the day if you can, gets quiet at night.
Other than the brewpubs, pub crawl yourself around the Altstadt, that's what the local seem to do. Et Kabüffke is one of my favourites, on Fingerstraße. It's a wee pub with a big shot selection. Speaking of which, you'll have to try Killepitsch, which is the local herbal liqueur.
Out of the Altstadt, Medienhafen is alright. More 'upmarket and cool', I suppose. People will be more dressed up and drinking cocktails. It's down by the river though, so nice views. It's also got more nightclubs than Altstadt.
And go up the Rheinturm too, I suppose. Nice views at night and you can get a drink up there.

Really looking forward to this trip now actually.

Just after buying a house so I was thinking I'd hold tough til the Scotland game, but my God you paint a lovely picture.

Junior
18/08/2014, 12:07 PM

Hey POSH!!!

a) Aren't you always giving out to people who don't stay in the town where the match is being held? Pfffft......
b) I already told you the name of the bar in Dussledorf that was made for you.......

http://www.xn--weisserbr-22a.de/

AidoP
08/09/2014, 12:23 PM
Any idea when we'll find out if we're successful in getting tickets for the Germany away match? Thanks.

ArdeeBhoy
10/09/2014, 8:41 AM
Already announced.
Everyone who applied, successful?

paul_oshea
10/09/2014, 10:18 AM
I missed the deadline by 2 days. I better get tickets.

AidoP
11/09/2014, 4:44 AM
Hi ArdeeBhoy. Did you get an email from the FAI regarding if you were successful or not?

Bosco
11/09/2014, 9:35 AM
I missed the deadline as well as didn't think it was realistic with work,I've emailed the Fai twice to see if there was a possibility of any being left over after our allocation...anyone in the same boat?

ArdeeBhoy
11/09/2014, 11:58 AM
Get mine through a SC. They may have spares, but was told the FAI didn't sell their full allocation(4.2k?), around 3-400 short, don't know if they have still or if returned to the Dfb.
Phone them and ask...

Stuttgart88
16/09/2014, 9:06 PM
I got mine today via the FAI. Got a room in Hotel Maritim in Gelsenkirchen online. Very near stadium and town centre area. Stadium seems very near town centre anyway.

I'll follow Paul's advice and get the train to Dusseldorf from London early on match day.

ArdeeBhoy
16/09/2014, 10:30 PM
Should have at least one spare...

IsMiseSean
17/09/2014, 5:14 PM
Got confirmation from the FAI yesterday about a ticket.
I have a mate who might be looking for a ticket AB if you still have it closer to gameday.

Stuttgart88
24/09/2014, 5:22 PM
Actually I'm now flying from Stansted at 8am on match day, via golden wings, to Dortmund. Pretty cheap still. Fly back to Heathrow next afternoon.

Stuttgart88
25/09/2014, 1:17 PM
FAI sent out an email today requesting final payment for Germany tickets, but the link to the payment portal doesn't work. I just rang the FAI and the ticket office is swamped with incoming calls. Has anyone here made payment successfully?

Edit: they have corrected the problem now.

fistamorte
28/09/2014, 9:30 AM
Apologies for posting here, but I can't find a thread on the Gibraltar match and can't open new threads.

Ticketmaster is showing that Gibraltar match is sold out all but for seats in Premium and Upper tiers in South Stand. They are showing pretty much the same for the USA friendly.

I was at Oman match and bought ticket from the TM van at corner of Ballbridge and Landsdowne Road, where I didn't have to pay any TM fee. Lots of others were doing the same.

I am bringing 3 kids to the Gibraltar match and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Also, I hate paying TM a 15% premium on the price of the tickets.

1. Is it likely that the match is that sold out, or is this just TM dripping tickets on to the market to give the impression that the match is heavily sold
2. Will there be ticket van/booth at the match?

The FAI site is always very reticent about this stuff, presumably because of some aspect of the TM agreement.

Bray Head
29/09/2014, 12:28 PM
Apologies for posting here, but I can't find a thread on the Gibraltar match and can't open new threads.

Ticketmaster is showing that Gibraltar match is sold out all but for seats in Premium and Upper tiers in South Stand. They are showing pretty much the same for the USA friendly.

I was at Oman match and bought ticket from the TM van at corner of Ballbridge and Landsdowne Road, where I didn't have to pay any TM fee. Lots of others were doing the same.

I am bringing 3 kids to the Gibraltar match and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Also, I hate paying TM a 15% premium on the price of the tickets.

1. Is it likely that the match is that sold out, or is this just TM dripping tickets on to the market to give the impression that the match is heavily sold
2. Will there be ticket van/booth at the match?

The FAI site is always very reticent about this stuff, presumably because of some aspect of the TM agreement.

I doubt it's sold out. I know they gave free tickets out to people who attended summer schools for Gibralta match. They just don't sell tickets in some sections so you have to buy lower down or centre as its better for TV.

ArdeeBhoy
29/09/2014, 12:50 PM
Definitely not sold out...told 14k tickets 'sold'.

Kingdom
02/10/2014, 9:39 PM
Strongly thinking about ferrying and driving over to this one. Looks to be the less complicated way of doing things at short notice. 3 hours from Dunkirk to Gelsenkirchen.
Never driven on the continent before, is it worth it?

brendy_éire
03/10/2014, 7:20 AM
Strongly thinking about ferrying and driving over to this one. Looks to be the less complicated way of doing things at short notice. 3 hours from Dunkirk to Gelsenkirchen.

It's do-able, but flights are only around the €180 mark return, so could be cheaper doing that unless you've a full car load.
Driving on the continent is fine, especially the route you'll be doing. Motorway the entire distance, so no hassle.
You'll need to get a move on with getting your ticket from the FAI though, that's the only thing.

Kingdom
03/10/2014, 8:19 AM
cheers brendy I'm actually not far from Dover, and the ferry is about €60, so it's just as easy as trekking across to Stansted to get to Bonn or Dusseldorf.
I had emailed the FAI and got no reply, so was going to try and locate a ticket myself. Has the Irish allocation sold out?

brendy_éire
03/10/2014, 8:51 AM
cheers brendy I'm actually not far from Dover, and the ferry is about €60, so it's just as easy as trekking across to Stansted to get to Bonn or Dusseldorf.
I had emailed the FAI and got no reply, so was going to try and locate a ticket myself. Has the Irish allocation sold out?

Ah right, handy enough then.
No, hasn't sold out. I'd ring them on +35316486054. If you don't have one already, set up an account on away.fai.ie before you ring to save some hassle.

paul_oshea
03/10/2014, 10:40 AM
I am pretty sure i have a spare ticket.

paul_oshea
03/10/2014, 10:42 AM

Fill your boot(s) with booze on the way back! Stop off at Leclerc, get some nice fresh french bread and ham, maybe some cheese and a bottle of wine too! You will be grand.

ArdeeBhoy
03/10/2014, 2:05 PM
I Definitely have a spare ticket...
And our allocation, see upthread, wasn't sold out.

ArdeeBhoy
12/10/2014, 10:27 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=959842707364684&set=p.959842707364684&type=1&theater

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1794697_959842707364684_9140115382758580139_n.jpg? oh=c4c3882f019de1cb5675773cde3000de&oe=54C348B1

Kingdom
13/10/2014, 7:09 AM
Free travel in the Rhine Ruhr region for all non ICE/Inter-city trains, in 2nd class. with a match ticket.

I think.

Kingdom
13/10/2014, 11:48 AM
Paul O'Shea, Ardee Boy, do either of you still have your spare ticket? If so, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

ArdeeBhoy
13/10/2014, 11:50 AM
Yes...will PM, but probably can't meet you until just beforehand.

Actually, you need to clear space, will contact later but definite...

PM now sent, best to e-mail me?
Thanks.

Can you let me know Y/N ASAP?

Kingdom
14/10/2014, 1:18 AM
Yes...will PM, but probably can't meet you until just beforehand.

Actually, you need to clear space, will contact later but definite...

PM now sent, best to e-mail me?
Thanks.

Can you let me know Y/N ASAP?

Just replied to you there. Cheers.

ArdeeBhoy
14/10/2014, 1:29 AM
Danke, mein herr.