PDA

View Full Version : World Series-Baseball

SÓC
27/10/2004, 9:49 AM
Any one here interested in Yankee Cricket? I used to play it a good bit (to my eternal shame I even repersented Dublin in it at one stage) and Im delighted to see the Red Sox are on the verge of the World Series after a long long wait.

BBC5Live are doing great coverage of the whol event with regular updates. The Playoff against NY was something special. They came back from the dead to end the curse of the Great Bambino, magic stuff.

Red Sox for World Series, City for the eircom League:D

tiktok
27/10/2004, 9:55 AM
3-0 up on the Cardinals.
Could all be sorted tonight.

A Boston Native I know used up all his holidays here to fly back at 3-2 down to the Yankees, so for his sake I hope they see it out. Boston was meant to be nuts after the Yankees comback, so i'd imagine it'll be one hell of a party tonight.

Still a game that requires the quaffing of copious amounts of alcohol to maintain interest though :p

Peadar
27/10/2004, 10:26 AM
Boston was meant to be nuts after the Yankees comback

New York went nuts too but for different reasons.
The local papers gave them a hammering.

crc
28/10/2004, 12:02 AM
I was just about to start a topic, and then I saw this one.

Boston are on the verge of winning their first world series since 1918.
When I arrived here (Washington, not Boston) a week ago, the cab driver had the Sox-Yankees game on the radio. Sox were down 3-2 (in the series) and the cabbie told me how the Bosox had come back from 3-0 down.

Anyway, the sox drew level at 3-3, and I was in front of a TV for the final game. Yankees had some wierd chant for the Boston pitcher Martinez: 50,000 Yankees fans shouting"Who's you're daddy? (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=46046) " - it was unreal, as good as you'll find in any footie stadium.

So, long story short, Boston are 3-0 against the St. Louis Cardinals, and having come here knowing only the rudiments of the game, I'm hooked!

However, the redsox will probably blow it now, just when everything seems to be going right!!

James
28/10/2004, 11:09 AM
the curse is lifted :)

sweeeeeeet

yessss (http://www.boston.com/)

check out the pics of the locals going mental
smoke tear gas bonfires arrests and pepper spray
those kids from beantown sure do know how to celebrate

Real ale Madrid
28/10/2004, 11:18 AM
I was just about to start a topic, and then I saw this one.

Boston are on the verge of winning their first world series since 1918.
When I arrived here (Washington, not Boston) a week ago, the cab driver had the Sox-Yankees game on the radio. Sox were down 3-2 (in the series) and the cabbie told me how the Bosox had come back from 3-0 down.

Anyway, the sox drew level at 3-3, and I was in front of a TV for the final game. Yankees had some wierd chant for the Boston pitcher Martinez: 50,000 Yankees fans shouting"Who's you're daddy? (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=46046) " - it was unreal, as good as you'll find in any footie stadium.

So, long story short, Boston are 3-0 against the St. Louis Cardinals, and having come here knowing only the rudiments of the game, I'm hooked!

However, the redsox will probably blow it now, just when everything seems to be going right!!

Pedro inadvertantly started that chant himself when referring to the fact that he had lost to the Yankees in the last 4/5 starts against them and of course the Yankee fans took it up with a vengance - but Pedro had the last laugh - The "Sauks" came back to win 4-3 - sweep the world series and become the first team ever to win 8 playoff games in a row!
Magic.

Metrostars
28/10/2004, 2:01 PM
It's about time they won it. I go up to Boston and the Cape 5-6 times a year and I couldnt take the locals' complaining much longer.
But it was nice to see them win it.

Aberdonian Stu
28/10/2004, 3:01 PM
Great stuff, the curse is finally put to rest (even though the stretch of them not winning it does include one season when Babe Ruth was at Fenway but lets not argue over technicalities).

onenilgameover
29/10/2004, 12:42 AM
My Ma from boston...I think i'ill be jumin on the bandwagon...nice to be winnin something for a change

NJTom
29/10/2004, 1:42 AM
After 28 years in the US the only time I watch baseball is when I have insomnia.

Real ale Madrid
29/10/2004, 9:25 AM
After 28 years in the US the only time I watch baseball is when I have insomnia.

Well the 38 Million Americans that watched game 7 of yankees/Sox must have found some kind of entertainment value.

NJTom
30/10/2004, 12:27 PM
Well the 38 Million Americans that watched game 7 of yankees/Sox must have found some kind of entertainment value.

There's no accounting for taste ;)

pete
01/11/2004, 3:50 PM
Buddy in boston says locals been going mental but more so when they beat NY in semis...

Suppose baseball the original yankie sport...