PDA

View Full Version : Aldo for Wales

shane123
27/10/2004, 9:44 AM
http://www.a2zsoccer.com/news/content_generic.cfm?file=1569270

What do ye make of that. could be a good opportunity for aldo to shine on the international stage as a manager. tough job though.

Plastic Paddy
27/10/2004, 10:16 AM
I would wish him the best of luck. Aldo always struck me as an honest and passionate man where football was concerned; indeed, I wanted to see his name in the ring after Mick Mac left us. He might be just the thing our Welsh friends need after the departure of Mark Hughes.

:) PP

Closed Account 2
27/10/2004, 9:55 PM
I've met him a couple of times, and to my mind there isnt a nicer man in football... but then im biased.

I think he could do ok. As a Tranmere fan, to me Aldo is clearly a hero. As a player he was a legend for the club and there wasnt a player more commited to the cause when he put on the green shirt. He once said he'd swim the Irish Sea if the FAI offered him the national job... but I guess somethings were not meant to be.

I think he'd make a decent national team manager as he was a great motivator. We had some great cup runs when he was in charge, getting to quarter finals of the FA Cup and to the League Cup final - most of it down to his ability to motivate players for the "big" games every month or so. We had a few decent young Irish players during his time too, notably Joe Murphy and Alan Mahon.

His main problem was some of the signings he made, or rather the signings he/the board didnt make. He was offered a few decent players on loan from Liverpool and Everton but nothing came of it, and instead we got players like Simon Osborne and Phil Babb (who was then not the player he used to be); but this will probably be less of an issue at a national side.

Either way good luck to the man, for someone who always tried his hardest football had delt him a harsh hand over these past few years.

Frink
27/10/2004, 10:04 PM
Dont know, he's never really proven himself, things went pretty sour towards the end at Tranmere. Also, he's been out of the game for quite a while. Best of luck to him all the same.

TerryPhelan
05/11/2004, 1:28 PM
Aldo always struck me as an honest and passionate man where football was concerned

Well, here's a little reminder of the honesty and passion we have become so accustomed to with Aldo over the last few years.

Turn the clock back to September 11th 2001. Yes, that's right - the day Roma hosted Real and TV3 had the rights - we all remember where we were. We all remember where Trev and Aldo were too: two lonely soldiers shifting nervously in their Bargaintown Swiv-Seat 3000s, looking overlit and underpaid. Saint Trev, ever compassionate, was the first to broach the events of that morning to The Great Tache: "Well John, on a day like today it's almost impossible to conentrate on football." Indeed, indeed, we all nodded, eager for the footy to start but certainly not adverse to the sympathetic preamble which was, quite rightly, only to be expected and more than warranted. Camera flashes to Aldo. Once more the nation expects. Downward eyes, shifting in the chair, the words 'only a game... terrible tragedy' bound to be uttered at some point. Not a bit of it. Aldo, sitting stock straight in his chair, shoots a curious look back at Old Welchy, almost accusatory, and curtly retorts: "Ah yeah, yeah, but, you know, the show must go on." Empathy personified. He'll put Bellamy in his place I tells ya.

Heart of stone, head of air, but a sweet right foot! Bless him. :rolleyes:

Aberdonian Stu
05/11/2004, 1:48 PM
Still doesn't compare with this one from Ger Canning.

Whistle blows for half-time in the 2002 All-Ireland football semi-final as Kerry hold a commanding lead over Cork, Ger sums up the half by saying

"It's the biggest massacre in Croke Park since the black and tans on Bloody Sunday"

Now you'll get a bualadh bos mór if you can tell me what comment (roughly) made immediately after it by an analyst is largely responsible for people forgetting that line by Ger.

PS Aldo would be a good choice in the short-term. Get them back on track and give them a shot at the playoff slot.

NeilMcD
05/11/2004, 1:59 PM
Aldo should have a job in the 1st Divsion in England by now, he did a very good job at Tranmere but he had no money to spend really. Also this was a man who was deeply upset by the Tragedy in Sheffield that he missed the IReland game against Spain, so he does have a big heart.

He should get the Forest Job or something like that, he would do a great job for a 1st Division team

drummerboy
05/11/2004, 2:10 PM
I think a lot of these explayers must be getting really well paid. Some of them don't need the pressure of day-do-day management. I think Aldo suffered towards the end of his reign in Tramere – the pressure really got to him and its only recently that he has decided to give it another go.

inexile
05/11/2004, 2:51 PM
Still doesn't compare with this one from Ger Canning.

Whistle blows for half-time in the 2002 All-Ireland football semi-final as Kerry hold a commanding lead over Cork, Ger sums up the half by saying

"It's the biggest massacre in Croke Park since the black and tans on Bloody Sunday"

Now you'll get a bualadh bos mór if you can tell me what comment (roughly) made immediately after it by an analyst is largely responsible for people forgetting that line by Ger.

PS Aldo would be a good choice in the short-term. Get them back on track and give them a shot at the playoff slot.

what was the quote that followed? im dyin to hear it
if it was cyril farrell i suposed it ended with "as such ger"
but then it couldnt be cyril farrell cos he wouldnt be analysing a football match wake up!!