PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to be a good football manager

red_all_rover
27/10/2004, 10:38 AM
An interesting article from Neil Warnock, Sheffield Utd. manager, on what it takes to be a good manager.

This season has been the most difficult I can remember for managers.

I cannot remember another season where so many have been under pressure from the word go.

Not only did we see Paul Sturrock lose his job after two games but we have probably seen half the managers in the league under some sort of pressure.

Whether it's because expectations are higher or the rewards for being successful are more I honestly don't know.

But people do seem to be jumping the gun and panicking more than the past.

After three games this season we hadn't won and all of a sudden you're getting it in the neck from the phone lines and a minority in the crowd.

The expectations at Weymouth were they were going to walk away with the league

Certain people in the media had two ways of reporting a match. Even though we'd done well they'd report that once again we hadn't won.

It was like the glass being half full or half empty.

It was only a few weeks ago we were at Gillingham and a reporter said to me you've only one in six. I replied that we'd only lost one in four.

The media can build it up and it puts more pressure on managers.

Too many fans and directors think they should be punching at a higher weight than they are, but you have to be realistic.

Take the case of Weymouth, who sacked Steve Claridge last week.

We played them in pre-season and the expectations then were they were going to walk away with the league.

A few results go against you and everything changes - the chairman leaves, then Claridge goes just because they are mid-table.

Two seasons ago was probably the best season Sheffield United had had for goodness knows how long.

We got to two semi-finals of the major cups and the play-off final.

We had a fantastic season and yet after three games it was all chants of "Warnock out" because we had not won.

I think when I was younger I would have worried about that.

Fortunately I have got a good chairman who has seen and done it all and a board of directors who know where we were when I took over.

I thought Newcastle handled the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson badly

I knew the support was there and we ended up having the best season ever.

Sometimes you have to show a bit of faith in your manager because a change of manager does not always mean a change of results.

Managing a football club now is not just about coaching qualifications.

It makes me laugh that these qualifications are going to be made mandatory for managers.

The League Managers Association is sending their proteges on all these qualifications and the one thing they don't take into consideration is that 99% of being a good manager is how you manage men and how you motivate them during the good times and bad times.

It's also how you look after their families and their children and you name it - it's like being in charge of 30 kids.

You don't get a qualification in man-management and the problems that arrive.

I laugh when I see some of these up-and-coming managers - who may have no character but all the best qualifications - developing problems because managing a football club is not about just going out on the training ground.

I think people panic a bit more at the top level because there is so much at stake.

Take Newcastle for example. They have to be up there challenging - the word 'patience' doesn't come into their vocabulary.

I thought they handled the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson badly. It was sad to see.

The statement at the start of the season that his contract wouldn't be extended was like having a bullet put through Bobby.

It almost belittled him and meant he didn't get the respect from the players he would have normally had.

Moore admits uncertain future
It's always sad to see things like that. Ronnie Moore has done so much for Rotherham but finds himself under massive pressure.

He's crying out for support from upstairs and it doesn't seem to be forthcoming. It raises the issue of loyalty in football.

I turned Chelsea down many years ago and then got the sack from Notts County a year later and that was a big lesson for me to learn.

I actually got on well with Ken Bates. I thought he was all right but I did laugh when he showed me the plans for the hotel and complex.

He said 'look at this, this'll be the future in five years' time' and I thought there's not a cat in hells chance of me lasting five years if I come here.

I also drove down twice but got stuck on the M25 both times - the traffic was horrendous and I decided it wasn't for me.

Despite what people say I think you always have regrets. I see managers in some jobs and wonder how they've got where they are when they haven't done that much, but that's life really.

Rodney Marsh once said the only chance I've got of managing in the Premiership is if I take a club up and I think he is right.

Everyone is looking for these track-suited, coaching wizards, the robot-type chief coaches. But believe me there's nothing like a good manager.

sligoman
28/10/2004, 1:00 AM
Last time I checked Neil Warnock was'nt a very successful manager :D and just ask Don O'Riordan and he'll tell you how to be a good football manager. :D .