PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

bennocelt
18/03/2014, 3:26 PM
Just curious if anyone knows the draw date for the first round, as I think it was the end of March last season. Cheers:cool:

littlebray
20/03/2014, 10:35 AM
End March seems about right. The First Round has to be decided in time for the 2nd, which is scheduled for the weekend of 8 June.
In case it helps, on the assumption that the arrangements of previous years hold again, the sixteen teams that qualify for the First Round from the Intermediate Cup are: Avondale United, Mayfield United, UCC, Carrigaline United (all Munster Senior League), Tolka Rovers, Malahide United, Drumcondra, St Patricks CY, St Mochtas, Belgrove/Home Farm, St Francis, UCD, Bluebell United, Leixlip United, Phoenix (all Leinster Senior League) and Cockhill Celtic (Ulster Senior League).
The four teams that will qualify from the FAI Junior Cup have yet to be decided. The Quarter-Finals are:
Sheriff YC v Geraldines
Ballynanty v Liffey Wanderers
Carew Park v St Michaels (to be played this weekend)
Collinstown v NUI Galway

I haven't details for the others though they, too, are due any day now.

nigel-harps1954
20/03/2014, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling there may be two Ulster Senior League clubs in the first round this year. I think Swilly Rovers may be in it. Would have to double check that however.

littlebray
20/03/2014, 10:54 AM
Swilly went out in the Third Round:
Swilly Rovers FC 1-6 UCD FC

Full details of the Intermediate to date are here (http://http://www.braywanderers.com/showarticle.php?id=673).

Dodge
20/03/2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Swilly Rovers are in and UCD aren't (from littlebray's list).

The 16 Intermediate sides are;
Cork;
Avondale United
Mayfield United
Carrigaline United
UCC

Leinster;
Tolka Rovers
Malahide United
Drumcondra
St Patrick's CY
St Mochta's
Belgrove/Home Farm
St Francis
Bluebell United
Leixlip United (only non Dub team from Leinster)
Phoenix

Ulster;
Cockhill Celtic
Swilly Rovers

Swilly were beaten in the last 32 of the FAI intermediate Cup by UCD but UCD can't enter enter the FAI Senior Cup.

The draw was early March last year (before the Junior cup semis). The draaw this year is complicated by there being only 19 LOI teams competing so they've to get 20 non-league teams into 13 spots. (

nigel-harps1954
20/03/2014, 4:27 PM
I knew there was some sort of reason behind that alright. Cheers for clearing it up.

Don't Salthill Devon and Mervue get included in the FAI Cup too?

Dodge
21/03/2014, 12:30 PM
I don't think so but couldn't say for certain

Dodge
23/03/2014, 4:44 PM
Sheriff, Ballynanty, St Michaels and Collinstown qualified for the 1st round today

I think 6 sides will receive a bye and 14 will play for the remaining 7 spots in round 2

BonnieShels
26/03/2014, 4:48 AM
Can someone explain that Swilly Rovers-UCD scenario to me?

UCD FC as quoted above are an intermediate side whereas UCD AFC are the senior side? Am I right in thinking that?

The FAI page shows "FC" playing 2 rounds and then "AFC" beating Swillly. This hasn't helped my confusion.
http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/competitions/fai-umbro-intermediate-cup/fixtures-results-2013-14.html

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2014, 7:28 AM
I presume it's seen as something like Derry City and Harps who both have Intermediate sides in the USL but can't compete in the same competitions as our Senior sides.

Dodge
26/03/2014, 10:38 AM
UCD FC as quoted above are an intermediate side whereas UCD AFC are the senior side? Am I right in thinking that?

They're seen as the same club. Don't be worrying about the use of FC or AFC. In previous years Home Farm's LSL team qualified and couldn't play in the FAI Senior Cup.

Likewise Shamrock Rovers B can't play in the Cup.

Ezeikial
26/03/2014, 12:10 PM
They're seen as the same club. Don't be worrying about the use of FC or AFC. In previous years Home Farm's LSL team qualified and couldn't play in the FAI Senior Cup.

Likewise Shamrock Rovers B can't play in the Cup.

UCD, Home Farm, Shamrocks... clear anti-Dublin bias here

razor
31/03/2014, 9:36 AM
draw today at 5pm

outspoken
31/03/2014, 9:40 AM
draw today at 5pm

Another thing we've lost due to soccer republic live cup draws

Dodge
31/03/2014, 9:49 AM
Another thing we've lost due to soccer republic live cup draws

Great point. I'm not sure this round was ever on TV but the next few rounds (ie involving league clubs) has to be on TV. Maybe back to the six one news

razor
31/03/2014, 4:55 PM
FAI Senior Cup 1st rd draw

St Michaels v St Francis
Malahide v Tolka
Swilly Rvrs v UCC
Belgrove v Drumcondra
Leixlip v St Pats CY
Avondale v Carrigaline
Bluebell v Phoenix

Ballynanty Rovers – BYE
Mayfield Utd – BYE
St Mochtas FC – BYE
Sheriff YC – BYE
Collinstown FC – BYE
Cockhill Celtic – BYE

brendy_éire
09/05/2014, 4:14 PM
Draw to be made on Sunday Sport on Radio 1 this week, shortly after 16:00.

patrickccfc
10/05/2014, 7:45 PM
UCC at home would be good

sligoman
11/05/2014, 2:07 PM
Why is the draw on the radio? Could they not have it on the 6 o'clock news like it was before MNS.

Darklordsbane
11/05/2014, 2:58 PM
When do the 1st div and prem teams join the draw

brendy_éire
11/05/2014, 3:08 PM
When do the 1st div and prem teams join the draw

This round.

White Horse
11/05/2014, 3:14 PM
Sligo at home. Nice one.

Fancy our chances on a decent surface, unlike yesterday.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/05/2014, 3:57 PM
FAI Ford Cup - Second Round Draw
Dundalk v Sligo Rovers
Belgrove/Home Farm v Finn Harps
Drogheda United v Cockhill Celtic
Limerick FC v Bohemians
Cobh Ramblers v Derry City
Athlone Town v Longford Town
Wexford Youths v Bray Wanderers
Shelbourne v Waterford United
St Patrick’s CY v St Patrick’s Athletic
Mayfield United v Malahide United
Ballynanty Rovers v Phoenix FC
UCC v St Michael’s
UCD v Galway FC
Collinstown v Avondale United
Cork City v St Mochtas
Sheriff YC v Shamrock Rovers

KeepersBall
11/05/2014, 4:00 PM
Nigel Harps, me auld segotia.
Cockhill Celtic, isn't that the team that had a lad sent off less than a minutes after coming on as sub v Harps last year.
He bucked the ball at the ref didn't he.

Sam_Heggy
11/05/2014, 4:15 PM
Cockhill Celtic, isn't that the team that had a lad sent off less than a minutes after coming on as sub v Harps last year.

That's them. A very decent side, not to be taken lightly.

outspoken
11/05/2014, 7:29 PM
Not very often I get the exact draw I wanted 👍

nigel-harps1954
11/05/2014, 7:33 PM

One of the more mental things I've seen in Finn Park in recent years alright yeah. League Cup game at the start of the year.

On another note, a trip to Whitehall will be nice, albeit a pretty poor draw for us.

Darklordsbane
11/05/2014, 7:34 PM
Not very often I get the exact draw I wanted 

You know the old Chinese saying
Be careful what you wish for

Martinho II
11/05/2014, 7:45 PM
Belgrove/Home Farm when did they amalgamate ??

disgruntled
12/05/2014, 9:04 AM
Sligo at home. Nice one.

Fancy our chances on a decent surface, unlike yesterday.

Why ? Are ye moving the game to a neutral venue ;)

oriel
12/05/2014, 12:10 PM
Belgrove/Home Farm when did they amalgamate ??

2012, Belgrove were playing out of Whitehall for some years. 2004 I think.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 6:47 AM
I'd presume that Sligo fans will travel for this moreso than the Setanta final? If so then it would be disappointing not to get around 3000 in attendance. Its obviously a tough draw but once its at home and I hate drawing non-league sides....still haunted by Ashtownvilla.

poster
13/05/2014, 10:33 AM
I'd presume that Sligo fans will travel for this moreso than the Setanta final? If so then it would be disappointing not to get around 3000 in attendance. Its obviously a tough draw but once its at home and I hate drawing non-league sides....still haunted by Ashtownvilla.

We'll bring the usual 100/150. Two trips to Dundalk in the space of three weeks. :sweat:

White Horse
13/05/2014, 11:03 AM
We'll bring the usual 100/150. Two trips to Dundalk in the space of three weeks. :sweat:

Sligo have consistently one of the best home attendances in the league. Yet the % of those fans who travel to away games is low. Why is that?

Most of the other well supported teams appear to bring more fans to Sligo than Sligo bring in the return fixtures.

PartySaint
13/05/2014, 11:11 AM
Sligo have consistently one of the best home attendances in the league. Yet the % of those fans who travel to away games is low. Why is that?

Most of the other well supported teams appear to bring more fans to Sligo than Sligo bring in the return fixtures.

I'd imagine is the distance they have to travel every second week, same with Derry and Cork (albeit it's easier for Sligo to travel to Dublin). Fans would have to pick and choose which away games they're going to go to as it would be difficult to get to most of them.

El-Pietro
13/05/2014, 11:37 AM
I'd imagine is the distance they have to travel every second, same with Derry and Cork (albeit it's easier for Sligo to travel to Dublin). Fans would have to pick and choose which away games they're going to go to as it would be difficult to get to most of them.

you can only take so many Friday afternoons off

Nah Nah Nah Nah
13/05/2014, 12:27 PM

Based on that logic Cork should be bringing the most away support to every away game.

Distance and timing of the games makes a huge difference. Dundalk have 6 away games that are closer then our nearest one for example.

For all the Dublin/Louth clubs from what I can see they make a day and night out of the trips to The Showgrounds as it's the best fixture around to do such a thing as people don't need to take time off work.

White Horse
13/05/2014, 1:33 PM
Based on that logic Cork should be bringing the most away support to every away game.

Distance and timing of the games makes a huge difference. Dundalk have 6 away games that are closer then our nearest one for example.

For all the Dublin/Louth clubs from what I can see they make a day and night out of the trips to The Showgrounds as it's the best fixture around to do such a thing as people don't need to take time off work.

That makes sense.

Most of our away games are 1-1.5 hours away so people get in the habit of going.

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2014, 1:40 PM
It's very difficult in this part of the country to get any sort of away support. Likewise, it's strange to see a large away support travelling up here.

For us, this season, we're lucky to get anything over than 50 or 60 people travelling to an away game, and everyone has to pick and choose which games they're able to attend. It was fantastic in the first series of games for us to be able to go to Dublin twice in the space of three weeks. Shelbourne fans will complain about the length of journey to Finn Park, but for us, that was a short journey to Tolka.

Our shortest journey this season is Longford, 2.5 hours away, and we couldn't bring any sort of a crowd to the following away game in Waterford the week after due to the expense of travelling so much in two weeks.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 1:49 PM
All valid points regarding travel I suppose and maybe something we take for granted east coast. I do think though that Irish people in general see distance to travel as a much greater challange, or more prohibitive than it actually is, certainly in comparison to say England. People commute 2+ hours to work in other countries without it being considered a major problem. Roads have improved and roadblocks like Drogheda are by-passed but attitudes are the same as when hours were spent stuck in Abbeyleix, Dunleer and the like. Certainly in Dundalks 1st division days you nearly always had at least a coach load travelling to Cobh, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Donegal & not quite as far, Longford and Athlone(of course thats when we were in the hunt for promotion). Dundalk to cork is a little over 3 hours, Sligo 2.5hrs not crazy prohibitive. Anyway just my opinion that we overthink the perception of travel times.

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2014, 2:42 PM
Not all about travel times though Nesta. It's the expense of travelling. I know, for myself, having a young family, I have to get priorities right. It's a case of some weeks, money can be tighter than others, and it's a toss between heading off to Wexford for a Harps game, or an extra 50 quid to help feed the kid.

10 years ago, when Dundalk were in the First Division, we hadn't the same financial mess of a country we do now.

El-Pietro
13/05/2014, 3:29 PM
Its 3 hours from Cork to Dundalk if there is no traffic and you are driving in your own car. Most fans travel by bus to games and its a lot longer than 3 hours from Cork to Dundalk.

Mr A
13/05/2014, 3:35 PM
The other big thing is that Friday games mean getting to away matches (or in my case home matches) is difficult because it eats into the work day for a lot of people. It's ok to take a half day now and again, but doing it regularly really eats into scarce holidays.

Ezeikial
13/05/2014, 5:23 PM
10 years ago, when Dundalk were in the First Division, we hadn't the same financial mess of a country we do now.

The pain of the FD is still so intense it even seems more recent then 5 season out of it (2008)

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2014, 5:39 PM
The pain of the FD is still so intense it even seems more recent then 5 season out of it (2008)

Dundalk were in the First Division in 2004, correct or not? ;)

oriel
13/05/2014, 5:47 PM
Close to the bottom Nigel, I think we finished 2nd last that season, as we were firmly in the midst of a seven year stretch.

I think that's a fair point about Sligo and Cork travelling, also it certainly suits teams based on the east coast for away trips as between Dundalk and Bray this is where 7 of the 12 PD sides are located, possibly 8 next season.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 6:05 PM
Yup all very valid points! We were spoiled at Dundalk with a subsidised bus to away games organised by the now defunct travel club during 1st division days. Also I was a student 10 years ago so half days on a Friday werent a problem personally. I still think though that proportionate to home support certainly with Sligo and Cork that 50-80 fans could be mustered on a reasonably regular basis. With this game i'd have been of the opinion that the cup has that bit more of a draw that could see a couple of hundred travelling support. The cup certainly sees the extra 'floating' Dundalk support out. I genuinely wonder how clubs in England get so many die hards being at every game home and away with the cost involved, lower leagues too (Luton promoted from the conference is a significant loss to other clubs such was the level of travelling support).

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 6:10 PM
I should add that the financial mire the country is in is nothing compared to the mess Dundalk FC was 10 yrs ago, relatively speaking of course but ye now what I mean;p

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2014, 6:59 PM
Don't forget also, public transport in the UK is a damn sight better than it is here.

Nesta99
13/05/2014, 7:23 PM
Don't forget also, public transport in the UK is a damn sight better than it is here.

Hmmm ok there are better intercity links but damn pricey! If you wanted to get a return London to Manchester(or any city north of Birmingham) train Thursday off-peak (advance purchase, non anytime) cost ye about £150 minimum up to over £300 flexi ticket. Next week £80-100. Wouldnt even bother looking at a friday. Can be cheaper flying tbh.