PDA

View Full Version : LOI week 2

Pages : [1] 2

adamd164
14/03/2014, 5:49 PM
According to RTE, Bohs v Drogs is the pick of tonight's games. News to me.

But anyway, these games are on tonight:

Premier Division
19:45 Athlone Town v. Shamrock Rovers
19:45 Bohemians v. Drogheda United
19:45 Bray Wanderers v. Sligo Rovers
19:45 Dundalk v. Limerick FC
19:45 St. Patrick's Ath v. U.C.D

First Division
19:45 Waterford United v. Galway FC
20:00 Wexford Youths v. Cobh Ramblers

Drogs look a good price at nearly 3/1. But with only one game down it's hard to judge.

gufcfan
14/03/2014, 6:12 PM
Any chance WLRFM are in the RSC tonight?

SkStu
14/03/2014, 6:16 PM
According to RTE, Bohs v Drogs is the pick of tonight's games. News to me.

Top of the table, innit.

Jofspring
14/03/2014, 6:37 PM
Just saw our team sheet. Dundalk -2 barring a miracle

adamd164
14/03/2014, 6:48 PM
Did a double of Dundalk and Drogs. The Louth kingpins.

Jofspring
14/03/2014, 7:01 PM
0-1 Limerick :eek:

SkStu
14/03/2014, 7:04 PM
Get in!

Bohemians 1 - 0 Drogheda United
14' - Goal -
Dinny Corcoran scores for Bohemians. GOAL. A superb through ball with the outside of his right foot from Craig Walsh find Dinny Corcoran who advances on the keeper and side foots the ball into the back of the net

NeverFeltBetter
14/03/2014, 7:06 PM
Limerick and Bohs both one up.

SkStu
14/03/2014, 7:10 PM
Shams, Pats and Youths all one up now as well.

adamd164
14/03/2014, 7:14 PM
All part of my devious plan to ensure that neither Louth side wins!

Mr A
14/03/2014, 7:14 PM
Bohs absolutely ripping the league apart this year. They seem unstoppable.

SkStu
14/03/2014, 7:33 PM
We're walking away with it.

SkStu
14/03/2014, 7:50 PM
Bray one up on Rovers. This is great craic!

Stuttgart88
14/03/2014, 7:56 PM
Very interesting scores so far.

gufcfan
14/03/2014, 8:47 PM
Report: Waterford United 0-0 Galway FC (http://galwayfc.ie/index.php/report-waterford-united-0-0-galway-fc/)

SkStu
14/03/2014, 8:50 PM
Sickened...

Longfordian
14/03/2014, 8:54 PM
Bray for Europe?

SeanDrog
14/03/2014, 9:54 PM
Just back from Dalymount . Interesting game - we were aweful at the back in the first half. The formation also invited Bohs onto us with Gary O Neil up front on his own . But when Fabio came on we has a good few chances that IMO made the draw a fair result .

We are dangerous on set pieces and 442 suits us far better than one up front (as the last ten mins proved). I'm sure Bohs will feel they were the better team but We had suspensions and injuries so I'm very happy getting the point.

If we had a fully fit squad to pick from I'd be confident of beating Bohs - their tactic was one dimensional ie hitting on the break.

Both teams made tonnes of basic errors in the game which if either of them were playing Rovers would be punished heavily.

Anyhows Derry next week ... :)

ger121
14/03/2014, 10:02 PM
The game should have been over by HT. Dinny really should have had a 3rd when through on goal, while a mix up in defence let you back into the game. 2 good chances not taken in the 2nd half came back to haunt us. 2 points dropped in my opinion.

SeanDrog
14/03/2014, 10:07 PM
The game should have been over by HT. Dinny really should have had a 3rd when through on goal, while a mix up in defence let you back into the game. 2 good chances not taken in the 2nd half came back to haunt us. 2 points dropped in my opinion.

Can't argue with that. Our formation in first half was just not working. I thought (b4 we scored) that we were going to get hammered. But in second half we had a good few good chances and once we changed back to 442 it was a different game .

I can fully understand a Bohs supporter seeing it as 2 points dropped.

ger121
14/03/2014, 10:20 PM
Can't argue with that. Our formation in first half was just not working. I thought (b4 we scored) that we were going to get hammered. But in second half we had a good few good chances and once we changed back to 442 it was a different game .

I can fully understand a Bohs supporter seeing it as 2 points dropped.

Yeah you definitely upped your tempo in 2nd half. The double stop late in 2nd, was I hoped your chance to equalise gone. We we waseful, you weren't. Decent freeflowing game. Strangely I'd gone for the 2-2 on a predictions thread earlier

pineapple stu
15/03/2014, 12:25 AM
Ouch.

That's about it for tonight I think.

sulywaterfordfc
15/03/2014, 2:51 AM
Any chance WLRFM are in the RSC tonight?

Obviously a bit late notice but there's no commentary for home games.

Captain2007
15/03/2014, 6:55 AM
Good start for Mathews, very young team full of energy, we seem to want it more than Sligo, still can not believe Cretaro unused sub, has in the past ripped us apart in the Carlisle. Shane Byrne one for the future for Bray. Sligo very disappointing, missed Peers and Davoren (Ledwith better ?)and the midfield struggled, North missed a sitter from 3 yrds and seem to play as a lone striker. Expected much more from Sligo although it is very early days.

mastermind1
15/03/2014, 7:03 AM
Sligo let me down for a 35/1 special that all prem teams in league of ireland would score last night. Also in my main bet of rovers, pats/ucd over 2.5, dundalk and sligo. Aahhhh

PartySaint
15/03/2014, 11:07 AM
Ouch.

That's about it for tonight I think.

Very harsh result on UCD, you deserved at least a draw.

Pablo Escobar
15/03/2014, 11:34 AM
Were Pats poor or UCD good?

pineapple stu
15/03/2014, 11:40 AM
Bit of both I think.

Certainly we were much better than when losing 4-0 and 5-0 in the space of a week in Richmond last season, and better than last week's game against Bohs too.

Huge hole in the Pat's defence for our equaliser, which was a bit uncharacteristic I think. Their wall ducked for our second. But overall, we did play quite well.

PartySaint
15/03/2014, 12:20 PM
Were Pats poor or UCD good?

Yeah as Stu said it was a bit of both, we haven't been great yet this season and still remain unbeaten. Our back 4 looks a lot weaker without Kenna in there.

bluewhitearmy
15/03/2014, 1:43 PM
Yeah as Stu said it was a bit of both, we haven't been great yet this season and still remain unbeaten. Our back 4 looks a lot weaker without Kenna in there.

The day off next Saturday will do em good so.

pineapple stu
15/03/2014, 4:39 PM
Your winner was offside too actually. Grrr!!

(Not Fagan, but the bit immediately before when we headed off the line after O'Donnell had punched clear)

Ho hum!

OldNassau
16/03/2014, 12:00 AM
Athlone v Shams attracted a crowd of 1800 on night, Rovers totally dominated. Athlone seem to have no plan except boot ball long and concede half pitch to Shams. Long season ahead. Some of players on show lacked basic passing skills not to mind a total lack of composure in possession. Cooke May not have players good enough to survive. Need to adopt a different approach. Players have to realise that it is about being able to play and retain possession, manager needs to lead the way. Cooke needs to take a different approach to future games.

SkStu
16/03/2014, 12:19 AM
Sickened...

Still sickened.

Pablo Escobar
16/03/2014, 3:03 PM
HT 0-0 at the Brandywell. It has been awful! Cork City are missing 3 first choice strikers and it's showing. The pitch isn't helping matters. Roddy Jnr. appears to only be in the team as he's the managers son.

SwanVsDalton
16/03/2014, 3:56 PM
Cork one-up in an early contender for worst game of the season.

Derry are awful. Roddy's response to going one-nil down? To push his son up to right wing.

Pablo Escobar
16/03/2014, 4:12 PM
That's a great win for us. The Brandywell pitch is absolutely terrible. Derry played into our hands all day.

Jofspring
16/03/2014, 4:21 PM
Good result for cork but brutal to watch.

Pablo Escobar
16/03/2014, 4:31 PM
Good result for cork but brutal to watch.
Agreed. It was terrible, but very difficult to play any sort of football on such a pitch. Derry will struggle if they don't get the pitch right.

adamd164
16/03/2014, 5:24 PM
Pitch was atrocious.

Delighted with the 3 points though :)

nigel-harps1954
16/03/2014, 11:16 PM
Good 3 points for Harps in Tallaght today. Rovers B team are very poor, but very young. Harps were missing a few key players, but still had enough to get a comfortable win. Hopefully another win against Cobh next week should build some momentum.

patrickccfc
17/03/2014, 9:19 AM
Absolutely terrible game to watch yesterday.. that pitch needs to be sorted out. Delighted with the 3 points don't care how we got it. Was surprised with how easily we saw the game out in the end.

avvenalaf
17/03/2014, 1:05 PM
That pitch was a disgrace to league football. What excuse have Derry got for producing a surface like that?

adamd164
17/03/2014, 2:42 PM
Have to say it was downright dangerous, almost to the point that the ref could legitimately have called off the game.

Stark contrast to the Turners Cross surface which was excellent for our first game v pat's and I don't think any pat's fan there would dispute it.

SwanVsDalton
17/03/2014, 2:59 PM
That pitch was a disgrace to league football. What excuse have Derry got for producing a surface like that?

Technically we didn't produce it, since the ground is council owned. Fair to say the club should've been asking questions about it (if they haven't been) beforehand. It hardly suits us either.

Pablo Escobar
18/03/2014, 5:58 AM
Technically we didn't produce it, since the ground is council owned. Fair to say the club should've been asking questions about it (if they haven't been) beforehand. It hardly suits us either.
It definitely doesn't suit you, and if it doesn't improve it could cause you serious problems. Teams going to the Brandywell will generally love to have the game go the way it did. Derry need to be able to get to ball on the ground I feel.

gormacha
18/03/2014, 10:01 AM

I would have thought that the issue is so important that the club should be jumping up and down to get it addressed, and for all we know they may have been, and probably were.

The fact that the council are in charge shouldn't of necessity mean that a pitch turns out like that. There are many third party owned and maintained pitches in LOI, and if anything, they tend to be better than club owned ones.

As has been said, it doesn't even help Derry. They look to have some decent players, but they'll be fack-all use if the ball spends as much time in the air as it did against Cork.

Dodge
18/03/2014, 10:16 AM
The fact that the council are in charge shouldn't of necessity mean that a pitch turns out like that. There are many third party owned and maintained pitches in LOI, and if anything, they tend to be better than club owned ones.

Tallaght is a prime example of this. Wasn't great when Rovers initally moved there but consistently one of the best around now.

Generally I think pitches are better this year than last. Haven't seen every pitch so far but the only one that has stood out as being poor has been Brandywell

White Horse
18/03/2014, 10:29 AM
Generally I think pitches are better this year than last. Haven't seen every pitch so far but the only one that has stood out as being poor has been Brandywell

I was impressed with the condition of United Park this season. This time last year it was terrible.

Jofspring
18/03/2014, 10:39 AM
Thomond Park not great at the moment but will improve over the next month or so like last season.

SwanVsDalton
18/03/2014, 12:44 PM

Aside from the infamous slope, and a few other bumps, our pitch generally isn't too bad. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it that bad. Generally it's in an OK-to-good state at the start of the season.

Not sure what has happened this close season, possibly the particular winter we've faced, but it's obviously ended up in a terrible state.