EA Sports Cup
Positives:
Has to be very easy to improve on last Friday
Stronger squad going down with Curran, Coughlan and the Ghanains available
Better surface will allow us to play a bit more
Taylor is back in the dugout

Negatives:
We're still a bit away from our strongest 11
2nd game in 4 days, potential to pick up some injuries. Probably a few players being rested
Cork have a stronger squad

Prediction:
Cork 2 - 1 Limerick

Jofspring
10/03/2014, 10:45 AM
Curran definitely back? Don't think he trained yesterday and from what I heard Oji pulled up in training too.

Would like to see Prince get a start but I'd say we will be going for a similar line up again. Maybe Curran in for Rainsford if available or Coughlan in there.

kingpin4
10/03/2014, 2:37 PM
Curran definitely back? Don't think he trained yesterday and from what I heard Oji pulled up in training too.

Would like to see Prince get a start but I'd say we will be going for a similar line up again. Maybe Curran in for Rainsford if available or Coughlan in there.

I had heard initially that he was, I'm not so sure anymore, looks like he could be missing again. Bit of a weakened squad going down if its true.
To be honest, I wouldn't be too bothered about any cups...the squad's too thin to be adding in games.

bluewhitearmy
10/03/2014, 2:43 PM
It would be a disaster if Oji is out for a while. I wonder what is up with Craig I had thought he would feature on the bench Friday after playing in the last 2 pre-season games.

The team need the games after injury and weather destroyed pre-season but I honestly just hope Prince gets a run out.

adamd164
10/03/2014, 6:37 PM
There's online commentary available here for this: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cork-city-live-match-streaming

CraftyToePoke
10/03/2014, 7:04 PM
I wouldn't be too bothered about any cups...the squad's too thin to be adding in games.

I hear what you are saying but its a shame to be wising away the season like that too, isn't it ? After the feeling around the place only a year ago like.

Treaty Gooner
10/03/2014, 8:12 PM
2-0 down and Williams went off early...uh oh...

Edit: Now 4-0, all over.

Pablo Escobar
10/03/2014, 8:56 PM
If I was Taylor I'd wouldn't let Oji back on the bus.

kingpin4
10/03/2014, 9:05 PM
I hear what you are saying but its a shame to be wising away the season like that too, isn't it ? After the feeling around the place only a year ago like.

Oh I'm not wishing it away. Just as overall season goals, I'd rather us stay as a premier team rather than be distracted by a cup that could throw in more injuries. Look at tonight, Williams off in the first half, still no Curran, Galbraith, Leahy, Ryan.

Anyone at it want to give a match report? Player ratings?

NeverFeltBetter
10/03/2014, 9:23 PM
Bad result, but if it has to happen, best that it happens in this competition.

kingpin4
10/03/2014, 9:48 PM
Bad result, but if it has to happen, best that it happens in this competition.

It doesn't have to happen though... It'd have been a lot more understandable if we played all the 19s and gave Prince a debut. It was the same team that started last Friday...the only positive from that game was the defence...I don't even think we could clutch at straws to stretch it to anything tonight...except maybe Cusack. The updates made it sound like he had a decent enough game...even though he conceded 4.

Dundalk away Friday could be another harsh lesson...

4tothefloor
10/03/2014, 10:09 PM
It doesn't have to happen though... It'd have been a lot more understandable if we played all the 19s and gave Prince a debut. It was the same team that started last Friday...the only positive from that game was the defence...I don't even think we could clutch at straws to stretch it to anything tonight...except maybe Cusack. The updates made it sound like he had a decent enough game...even though he conceded 4.

Dundalk away Friday could be another harsh lesson...

We needed to spend money on a decent young striker, we didn't do it and now we're going to pay the price both on and off the pitch. I can't understand the mentality of the club - they haven't invested in the squad, don't want to spend money on players yet they expect the hordes to flock to Thomond Park? If you make one or two top signings, those players will pay for themselves on the gate with the buzz they create and the results on the pitch. What are the chances that we'll be panic buying in the summer now? It'll be a relegation battle this season as far as I can see, unless Tam McManus is our new Howie King.

kingpin4
10/03/2014, 10:53 PM
It's the system I have the biggest issue with and it will come up again this season. When Curran, Gaffney and Tam McManus are all fit... Will we play 4 3 3 with Gaffney and Curran on the wings? Or will we drop 2 strikers and leave one up top? Surprised we didn't have Prince on the bench too tonight, even just to get used to the whole thing.

Our season isn't going to be defined by the results in these games (as disappointing as that will be at times his season). Our season will be defined by what we do against Bray, UCD, Athlone and trying to grab draws in other games from teams above us.

bluewhitearmy
10/03/2014, 11:04 PM
If I was Taylor I'd wouldn't let Oji back on the bus.

Why..?

bluewhitearmy
10/03/2014, 11:08 PM
The system is a complete joke. We are so predictable. If it stays like it has been last two games my view of us not being in a relegation battle seems wildly optimistic.

Jofspring
10/03/2014, 11:21 PM
The system is a complete joke. We are so predictable. If it stays like it has been last two games my view of us not being in a relegation battle seems wildly optimistic.

Every team that gets points off us does one simple thing, close us down fast. The formation is leaving a lot of players very isolated meaning we go backwards and hoof or lose the ball.

Every attack goes, defender to midfielder, midfielder back to full back, full back hoof up the field or defender to midfielder, midfielder back to defender, defender back to keeper and hoof. The one or two times we try to be inventive we find the winger gets isolated out on the wing or Gaffney is left to beat 4 defenders on his own.

I'd love to play in defence against a team doing the same thing over and over.

bluewhitearmy
10/03/2014, 11:27 PM
Its a long long way from the style Taylor said he would play when he came.

CraftyToePoke
11/03/2014, 3:33 AM
Two slippery looking away games coming straight up now as well. Get the feeling the side might have to dig out results in these, but I think its already vital that if they do go a couple down, not to fold and come away on the end of hidings like tonight, maintain discipline & finish with eleven men out there.

Pablo Escobar
11/03/2014, 7:47 AM
Why..?

I assume he wasn't fit or something. He made so many errors, it was almost as bad as I expect our centre backs to be this year.

Jofspring
11/03/2014, 8:58 AM
I assume he wasn't fit or something. He made so many errors, it was almost as bad as I expect our centre backs to be this year.

He is playing through injury from I could see but I don't think he was the main culprit last night. A couple of hairy moments alright.

Two things need to happen for us. Injuries to clear up and some kind of change in style. Too easy for opposition teams at the moment to read us.

osarusan
11/03/2014, 10:36 AM
Didnt think Oji was too bad. Conceded two very soft headed goals after he went off.

Our problem is that we are incredibly narrow and i cannot see where goals are going to come from. Just sideways passing in front of their midfield, ending in either losing the ball in a dangerous position, or a hopeful goof into the box from a position similar or worse to the one we had been in 10 passes earlier.

LK37oldskool
11/03/2014, 12:20 PM
Listening to the game on Rebel radio last night got me really worried as the commentators mentioned several times how disinterested our players were. there seemed to be no sense of urgency in their play. I think as many have mentioned here that we are going to be in a relegation battle for the season.

The Donie Forde
11/03/2014, 8:17 PM
Thought Garbhan Coughlan did well for Limerick when he came on. Gaffney showed he has a bit about him, but he wasn't consistent last night. Your keeper did very well, IMO.
Limerick had a good 10-15 minutes before City's third, but when that went in they more or less accepted their fate.

da bishop
11/03/2014, 9:15 PM
disappointing performance,team did not seem motivated for this one and tbf cork dominated us for the most part.cannot see taylor changing his approach to how the team plays,and going on this performance we will struggle no doubt about it ,many of the players we will be relying on will imo not be up to the required standard even allowing for the few to come back.the squad is too light and i am surprised at the apparent waste of money recently.