PDA

View Full Version : Galway!

outspoken
03/03/2014, 7:37 PM
This place has been far too quiet for my liking, what a game to kick it all off and in front of what looks set to be a bumper crowd from both sets of fans.

With Shels at home next week (Yes im already thinking ahead) I think its very important we dont lose this one so anything but a defeat will do fine. The first series of games will be crucial imo so its important we dont give the likes of galway any encouragement.

Whats everyone elses thoughts and feelings ahead of this?

Longfordian
03/03/2014, 7:55 PM
Take a draw definitely. They're likely to be right up there with us. This is their big night, there'll be a great crowd and they'll be really fired up. I'd be hopeful enough though that we now have the players to come away with a positive result. Should be a big Town crowd too which should help. Having said all that you can't get too carried away either way after a couple of games.

Mister X
04/03/2014, 11:46 AM
would take a draw, but a win would encourage more out to the shels game!

Macy
04/03/2014, 12:09 PM
I'd take a draw now. On the face of it, they seem decent, but very hard to tell after just preseason.

Darklordsbane
04/03/2014, 4:47 PM
I agree with you all any points will do (1 or 3) I haven't been able to get to most of the friendlies, but the 1 and a half games I saw wouldn't fill me with confidence, early days I know but to my eyes the passing was pretty poor and Bennion is still hoofing the ball every chance he gets, mind you no one is shouting to get a pass from him so he has a built in excuse there,
This jury is out big time on most of those new signings, Don looks the best of them from what I've seen, maybe they just don't do friendlies, yes I know that they got a win and a draw from 2 premier teams, I didn't see the Limerick match but saw the Drogheda game awful football from both teams.
I hate being negitive but I have a really bad feeling about this season I really hope I'm wrong, for me the sooner that Mark Salmon is back fit and well the better

Martinho II
04/03/2014, 7:17 PM
I too would take the draw also. Galway are the team to beat dont forget a lot of this team used to be Mervue players! any team news at all?

Mister X
04/03/2014, 7:46 PM
[QUOTE=Darklordsbane;1739574
This jury is out big time on most of those new signings, Don looks the best of them from what I've seen[/QUOTE]

don didnt do much in any of the pre season games i was at, rice would have to be the stand out signing!if his work rate in the games so far is anything to go by he will be great in cm for us, a real gurrier!

De Town
05/03/2014, 10:15 AM
any team news at all?

Haverty and Kevin O'Connor suspended. Manning, Walsh and O'Brien suspended for them. Don't know about injuries though.

outspoken
05/03/2014, 4:22 PM
Haverty and Kevin O'Connor suspended. Manning, Walsh and O'Brien suspended for them. Don't know about injuries though.

That's Galway's two best players out in Manning and Walsh but the fact they can call on Faherty and Murphy shows the strength in that squad. Connolly will be a huge threat hopefully Ricer will do a job on him.

gufc2000
05/03/2014, 9:04 PM
That's Galway's two best players out in Manning and Walsh but the fact they can call on Faherty and Murphy shows the strength in that squad. Connolly will be a huge threat hopefully Ricer will do a job on him.
Alan Murphy is injured, he's a few weeks away yet before he can feature. I wouldn't regard Walsh in the top two players in the squad, but his versatility and experience will be missed.

Martinho II
06/03/2014, 6:07 PM
Are many Mervue and Salthill fans behind the new Galway FC? Just curious whether it will be like the old Galway Utd? Really looking forward to goin back to Terryland.

Terry
06/03/2014, 6:33 PM
Most of those fans were GUFC fans.

Back onto the match, we have a good few injured/suspended oursleves. Saying that, I would be happy with a draw myself.

Will many make the trip down from the midlands?

Martinho II
06/03/2014, 6:38 PM
Most of those fans were GUFC fans.

Back onto the match, we have a good few injured/suspended oursleves. Saying that, I would be happy with a draw myself.

Will many make the trip down from the midlands?

we have a 55 seater comin down so the interest is huge. up to last night 52 seats were booked on section o bus!

Longfordian
06/03/2014, 8:52 PM
Galway is always a popular trip, for a proper game in Terryland anyway. Going down myself, didn't make any of the ore season games so looking forward to it.

Martinho II
07/03/2014, 11:22 PM
We made it hard for ourselves but we were very good in second half. thought lorcan shannon was mom for us hes not afraid to go direct. Rhys ball for Sully was superb. also thought ricer was superb for us. huge turnout from longford town at it! hopefully our crowd will stay with us for the long season ahead!

Longfordian
08/03/2014, 12:20 AM
Thought the first half was kind of "keep it tight, suss them out and see what they've got". Felt we were in control overall but second half we stepped it up going forward. We already look much better at the back than last year. Sullivan and Flynn were bossing things. Young Jamie Mulhall is going to be a great player too. Rice is physically tough and so experienced, exactly what we needed. It's only one game but there's a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

Acornvilla
08/03/2014, 12:29 AM
Hon the clean sheet. That's the most encouraging sign of the match in my opinion. More of the same next week please.

Town Legend
08/03/2014, 12:04 PM
Great result last night. Was impressed by Shannon, Rice and the two centre halves Flynn and Sullivan. What a ball from Rhys to put Sully in for the goal. Roll on next week. Have Havo and O'Connor just one game bans? And any word on Russell, O'Brien and Carrigy? All missing from the squad last night with three U-19's on it.

Longfordian
08/03/2014, 12:35 PM
I think Havo may have another game to go. Not sure on O'Connor but I have a feeling his was just one game. Russell was injured, don't know what the story was with the other two.

Yeah another game to go for Havo: http://www.airtricityleague.ie/news/5222-outstanding-suspensions-to-be-served

Keen2win
08/03/2014, 1:33 PM
I see over on the GUST forum that there may be highlights, hopefully there is and someone links it up on here!

Great result, from having seen no games at all this year, I am still going to predict that if Rice stays fit all season, we will win this out with relevant ease!

GalwayFrancis
08/03/2014, 2:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm doing a little survey.

If you were in Terryland last night and have time please reply.
Rate 1-10 (10 being best) and Comment please.

How was your overall matchday experience?

How was your treatment by security/stewards?

How would you rate Terryland Park?

What could we change to improve your match day experience?

Have you ever stayed the night in Galway during an away game?

Would you stay the night in Galway during an away game, if a hotel deal with a discounted price was organised?

Thanks everyone.

Is there another Longford Town forum - or is this the main one?

FK

Darklordsbane
08/03/2014, 4:38 PM
How was your overall matchday experience? 8.5

How was your treatment by security/stewards? 8.5

How would you rate Terryland Park? 10

What could we change to improve your match day experience? get the burger van to use their real coffee machine, get rid of the smell in the gents under the stands

Have you ever stayed the night in Galway during an away game? yes

Would you stay the night in Galway during an away game, if a hotel deal with a discounted price was organised? Doubt it as I live nearer nowadays

very good overall just nit picking really, I like a nice coffee and cannot understand why a vender would bring a van with a proper coffee machine in it and not use it, just because the chip van was selling boiled (burnt) instant

Town Legend
08/03/2014, 4:58 PM
How was your overall matchday experience? 8

How was your treatment by security/stewards? 8

How would you rate Terryland Park? 9 pitch was a little bit bumpy but overall enjoy coming to Terryland Park.

What could we change to improve your match day experience? nothing that I can think of at the moment.

Have you ever stayed the night in Galway during an away game? Yes

Would you stay the night in Galway during an away game, if a hotel deal with a discounted price was organised? Definitely, love going out in Galway....it's a great spot for the lads!!

Longfordian
08/03/2014, 5:13 PM
I'm on my phone and I doubt I'll be bothered to come back later and copy out the questions. Just stick me down for an 8.5 on everything! Very well run event, very good facilities. Went to college down there so always like going back, might stay over some time.

Keen2win
08/03/2014, 10:18 PM
With a lot of us being college going age, we are not exactly short on places to stay for an overnight trip... Although, into the future, a good deal with a hotel would be great!