PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 city Attendances

eoinh
25/10/2004, 1:36 PM
What are citys top 5 attendances home or away?

I reckon the first cup final in dalymount against derry would be included.

The match against galatasary in Istanbul.

The championship decider against Dundalk.

Also did city tour china and attract over 100,000 people or is that something my brain has made up.

The season before last? we played Derry in Turners Cross which was a sell out.

Anybody got a definitive top 5, home or away in any competition.

tiktok
25/10/2004, 1:49 PM
I'd Imagine the following would be in there.......

Home to Pat's 98/99 season
League cup final second leg at home to Rovers 99/00(??)
Friendly -v- Celtic couple of years back.

Peadar
25/10/2004, 2:32 PM
1998 Cup Final v Shels (Both games)
Home to St Pats as Tiktok has said.
Also away to St Pats towards the end of that same season.
Home to Nijmegen.
Away to Nantes.

ccfc till i die
25/10/2004, 2:50 PM
Hox many were at the away match against Bayern Munich

adamd164
25/10/2004, 2:54 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the record is 12,500 at home to Dundalk. Great atmosphere.

Gary
25/10/2004, 2:57 PM
I'd Imagine the following would be in there.......

Nah, half the St Annes end was empty for that particular debacle.

adamd164
25/10/2004, 3:00 PM
Ya and that was more like a Celtic home match :mad:

I was one of the few in the shed booing when they scored :cool:

exile
25/10/2004, 5:20 PM
top one was definatly against dundalk in 1991, 12,000 ,dundalk needed to win against city to win the league down the cross and if my memory serves me correctly there was more dundlk fans there than city fans anyway dundalk won 0-1

Fair_play_boy
25/10/2004, 5:40 PM
Away to Nantes.What size crowd was at that match?
I know it does not count, but the 1983 FAI Senior Cup replays between Sligo Rovers and Cobh Ramblers had 18,000. Was that at Turners Cross or Flower Lodge?

Gary
25/10/2004, 5:45 PM
top one was definatly against dundalk in 1991, 12,000 ,dundalk needed to win against city to win the league down the cross and if my memory serves me correctly there was more dundlk fans there than city fans anyway dundalk won 0-1

I was only 12 at the time, and I remember that Dudlak had about 1500 fans that day. No way did they have more there than City.

Both teams needed to win that day to win the league, though a draw would have been enough for City. Dundalk won, and won the league.

RedX
25/10/2004, 7:28 PM
FairPlayboy...In reply to your question about the Sligo/Ramblers game in the FAI Cup semi in 1983 the game was played at Flower Lodge..i was there and had a Ramblers flag beleive it or not..always have a soft spot for them after that.. :)

But of course once Cork City FC formed in 1984 they became THE club for me.. :D

There has been many games at the X over the last ten years that had up to at least 9/10 thousand..nobody was ever sure about the official attendances at these games..Shels 4/4 draw a few years back was packed out..league cup final against Rovers i think under Davey boy sold out..Cork Citys 1-0 win over Derry in the Semi of the FAI cup at the lodge when Ian Hennessy scored must have at least had 10/12,000..great memorys..by the way i am shocking with dates so just said i would mention certain games :D

exile
25/10/2004, 9:11 PM
I was only 12 at the time, and I remember that Dudlak had about 1500 fans that day. No way did they have more there than City.

Both teams needed to win that day to win the league, though a draw would have been enough for City. Dundalk won, and won the league.

you could be right gary im not sure but i would have been 10 :o at the time and i remenber my old man being shocked at the amount of dundalk fans that were there

boc123
25/10/2004, 9:13 PM

Ya, i'll never forget that one, great craic in the shed, but as you said not a hope that Dundalk had more fans than city that day.

daveh
25/10/2004, 9:37 PM
I think the pats home game in 98/99 had one of the giggest home crowds and the first cup final game -v- sh$ls in 98 definately had one of the biggest travelling supports for any team in the league.There was at least 10,000 city fans there,which when you consider the attendance for the cup final yesterday was about 9,500 is fairly impressive.Those are the games i think had the biggest crowds but id say they were bigger ones in the early 90's alright,when the league was a bit more popular,at least i think so anyway. anyone remember if the league was more popular back then?

thecorner
25/10/2004, 10:14 PM
What size crowd was at that match?

over 12,000

508 city fans

eoinh
25/10/2004, 10:41 PM
I think the pats home game in 98/99 had one of the giggest home crowds and the first cup final game -v- sh$ls in 98 definately had one of the biggest travelling supports for any team in the league.There was at least 10,000 city fans there,which when you consider the attendance for the cup final yesterday was about 9,500 is fairly impressive.Those are the games i think had the biggest crowds but id say they were bigger ones in the early 90's alright,when the league was a bit more popular,at least i think so anyway. anyone remember if the league was more popular back then?

Ive been going since 84. The league is more popular now than its ever been in that period (excluding the crowds Derry were getting for a couple of seasons). In the mid to late 80's the crowds were tiny

eoinh
25/10/2004, 10:43 PM
As i asked earlier did city visit China?

I remember the LOI team visiting Iraq and playing in front of massive crowds :eek:

The Donie Forde
26/10/2004, 8:33 AM
As i asked earlier did city visit China?

I remember the LOI team visiting Iraq and playing in front of massive crowds :eek:

Yes, they played the Polish and Chinese Olympic sides in 1991, both in Shanghai. Lost 0-3 v Poles and 1-4 v the takeaways. No ideas about the attendances. Could be CCFC records all the same...

Donie

razor
26/10/2004, 9:12 AM
There was about 20,000 in Landsdowne for the 92 Cup final and I reckon we brought at least 15,000 from Cork that day.
Lashed Rain the whole day, got soaked, dismal day dismal performance by City.

yiddo
26/10/2004, 9:29 AM
Remember 92 well. Got these "great" tickets bang on the halfway line but only 2 rows from the front :( . Soaked wet and one of the worst City performances ever. Then again what would we expect with those tv cameras present ?

ollie
26/10/2004, 12:43 PM
the biggest attendance in the cross that i remember was the league cup final.was in the st.Annes end when it had grass and it was packed.10k approx there i suppose.

kingcolers
26/10/2004, 3:46 PM
i was at the championship decider in the cross versus dundalk, and sad to say i was actually in my late teens at the time so i remember it relatively well. the official attendance (in the papers anyway) was 12500 and it's a myth about there being more dundalk supporters than city ones. there were a few hundred of them behind the st annes goal. no more than that.

derry in the quarter final of the fai cup back in 87 (i think) filled three quarters of the ground (which was flower lodge). no idea what size crowd was there for that. it must have been 10,000 at least.

average attendance in the 80s was less than 500 i'd say. with the quality of football to match. dark days.

A face
26/10/2004, 4:02 PM

For all the shíte that comes out of the Sell-Thick fans .... they couldn't even fill the cross. That totally indicates what they are like ...... they're all talk that shower ...... when will they just give over. You couldn't believe anything they say after that performance.

thecorner
26/10/2004, 4:10 PM
For all the shíte that comes out of the Sell-Thick fans .... they couldn't even fill the cross. That totally indicates what they are like ...... they're all talk that shower ...... when will they just give over. You couldn't believe anything they say after that performance.

but a face didnt leave them down

shouting out his rebel songs wearing his hoops ;)

eoinh
26/10/2004, 5:21 PM
Yes, they played the Polish and Chinese Olympic sides in 1991, both in Shanghai. Lost 0-3 v Poles and 1-4 v the takeaways. No ideas about the attendances. Could be CCFC records all the same...

Donie

i think it was over 50,000 and closer to 100,000!

The LOI side that played IRAQ drew huge crowds as well.

Neil
26/10/2004, 5:55 PM
it's a myth about there being more dundalk supporters than city ones. there were a few hundred of them behind the st annes goal. no more than that.
Thats what I remember too. about 200 of them I'd say.