PDA

View Full Version : Noel Campbell

John Shacallis
24/10/2004, 10:43 PM
Can anybody give me any information on a past International from 1971-77 called Noel Campbell? I knew a young Noel Campbell in London in the mid 60's who had signed with Arsenal but returned to Ireland and we lost touch when I moved to Australia. His family were invoved with St. Patrick's. I saw the name Noel Campbell in a list of Internationals and wondered if it could be the Noel I knew. I would appreciate any information.

The Donie Forde
26/10/2004, 8:44 AM
Red-haired midfielder - he also played in Germany with Fortuna Cologne.

Donie

John Shacallis
27/10/2004, 9:31 AM

Donie

Thank you. I'm now sure that this is the Noel Campbell that lived with us in London in the mid 60's. He was a small boy with red hair and fantastic ball control. Is there any way that you may know how I can get in touch with him? We were very close for a couple of years and he was part of the family.
I would appreciate any information.

The Donie Forde
27/10/2004, 12:38 PM
Thank you. I'm now sure that this is the Noel Campbell that lived with us in London in the mid 60's. He was a small boy with red hair and fantastic ball control. Is there any way that you may know how I can get in touch with him? We were very close for a couple of years and he was part of the family.
I would appreciate any information.

Sorry, John, I've no idea - maybe one of the Dub posters may be able to help out if he's back living there again?

Donie

jimhacker
02/11/2004, 1:40 PM

Donie

Fortuna Dusseldorf I think you'll find!

jimhacker
02/11/2004, 1:43 PM
I'm sure he played for ireland in an infamous match in Sofia and, if I'm not mistaken, was sent off in a case of mistaken identity. Ireland weren't short of red headed midfielders at the time.

The Donie Forde
03/11/2004, 11:50 AM
Fortuna Dusseldorf I think you'll find!

Fortuna Dusseldorf may be better known, but NC played for Fortuna Cologne...

Donie

wws
03/11/2004, 11:53 AM
i dunno his current whereabouts (i'll try and find out) but on his german adventure:

the germans keep stats on jsut about everything and here you'll find complete details of Noels every game with Fortuna Cologne, includes a pic of him:

http://www.fussballdaten.de/spieler/campbellnoel/1974/

they were relegated that season

look at the bayern side he faced that year!! tasty or wot?!!:

Sepp Maier
Johnny Hansen
Georg Schwarzenbeck
Franz Beckenbauer
Paul Breitner
Gerd Müller
Franz Roth
Wilhelm Hoffmann
Ulrich Hoeneß
Rainer Zobel
Bernd Dürnberger

wws
03/11/2004, 12:12 PM
bit more about him:

He's actually Dave Campbell's uncle - I didnt realise that myself, Dave I think was last with Bray but won Leagues with Pats. Noel's brother Jimmy played for Pats, Sligo Rovers, and Shamrock Rovers in the Liam Tuohy era; his other brother Hubert lined out with Sligo, and a third brother Johnny was a veteran of Drums and Pats.

from the bray site:

"Perhaps best known of all that generation of Campbells was uncle Noel, a Pats man who transferred to Fortuna Köln, in Germany, and wound up as assistant manager to Johnny Giles at Rovers, managing them himself for a time."

jimhacker
03/11/2004, 12:28 PM
i dunno his current whereabouts (i'll try and find out) but on his german adventure:

the germans keep stats on jsut about everything and here you'll find complete details of Noels every game with Fortuna Cologne, includes a pic of him:

http://www.fussballdaten.de/spieler/campbellnoel/1974/

they were relegated that season

look at the bayern side he faced that year!! tasty or wot?!!:

Sepp Maier
Johnny Hansen
Georg Schwarzenbeck
Franz Beckenbauer
Paul Breitner
Gerd Müller
Franz Roth
Wilhelm Hoffmann
Ulrich Hoeneß
Rainer Zobel
Bernd Dürnberger

Not as daunting as a tough day at Turners Cross!

John Shacallis
04/11/2004, 5:44 AM
Thank you all for the information. I will try the German site for more info but if anybody knows a way to get in touch with Noel I would be very grateful. I know he had brothers who played for St. Patrick's and I am now sure it is the Noel Campbell I knew in London. He was a great little player but injured a knee and Arsenal sent him home. He was there with Pat Rice at the time. Thanks again and keep the information coming please.

TonyD
15/11/2004, 8:14 PM
I'm sure he played for ireland in an infamous match in Sofia and, if I'm not mistaken, was sent off in a case of mistaken identity. Ireland weren't short of red headed midfielders at the time.

Yep, that was the game. Not sure if it was mistaken identity though. As far as I remember he had just come on as sub and there was an almighty brawl on the touchline. I think there was a second Irish player sent off that day, but I can't remember who it was. From my hazy memeory of the game Ireland had a John Giles goal disallowed, were beaten 2-1 and were generally robbed blind, as was par for the course in those days.

onceahoop
15/11/2004, 11:04 PM
Thank you all for the information. I will try the German site for more info but if anybody knows a way to get in touch with Noel I would be very grateful. I know he had brothers who played for St. Patrick's and I am now sure it is the Noel Campbell I knew in London. He was a great little player but injured a knee and Arsenal sent him home. He was there with Pat Rice at the time. Thanks again and keep the information coming please.

I think that he lived in North County Dublin at one stage. I'm sure that he was involved in the Labour Party there. I'l try and find out more.

He was a good player.

jimhacker
16/11/2004, 8:10 AM
Yep, that was the game. Not sure if it was mistaken identity though. As far as I remember he had just come on as sub and there was an almighty brawl on the touchline. I think there was a second Irish player sent off that day, but I can't remember who it was. From my hazy memeory of the game Ireland had a John Giles goal disallowed, were beaten 2-1 and were generally robbed blind, as was par for the course in those days.

I think that the ref may have mixed him up with Grealish, or Brady.

wws
16/11/2004, 10:26 AM
Hi

ive sent a question to John Giles on newstalk106 's Offtheball"

hopefully the presenter will ask johnny his memories of Noel in this thursdays show: John Giles soccer hour on Thursdays from 7 p.m.

listen online here

www.newstalk106.ie

John Shacallis
21/11/2004, 6:15 AM
Thank you all who have replied and offered information. I was able to download a photo from the Cologne site and it was the Noel Campbell who lived with my family in the 60's. I would dearly love to contact him if at all possible if anybody has any idea how. My email address is jshacallis@vtown.com.au
Thanks again for all your help.

jfogarty
23/11/2004, 6:03 PM
check your mail. I know his son