thejollyrodger
24/10/2004, 5:56 PM
Great result !! :D

Pablo
24/10/2004, 6:08 PM
well done de town!

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2004, 6:55 PM
COuld you crank up your Anti-Waterford bias lads please?
I don't think they heard you laughing in Ballymacarbary ! :eek:

patsh
24/10/2004, 7:04 PM
I thought Longford just about deserved it, kept the heads and the pressure on.

Amazing rection from Keegan when he scored, the guy was bawling his eyes out.
If it meant that much to him, I'm glad to see him get a winners medal.

Interesting body language from Rooney and that pr*ck Corcoran....;)

Babysis
24/10/2004, 7:44 PM
come on the town. Couldn't find anywhere that was showing it, so was getting updates by text and phone. Added to the excitement and the nerves!! Talk about relieved at the final whistle!! What a result!up da town!!

ccfcgirl
24/10/2004, 8:11 PM
great game i must admit got a bit of o fright that longfords first goal wouldnt stand with the 2 balls on the pitch

Colm
24/10/2004, 8:29 PM
Waterford were so happy when they were 1-0 up and it made my day to see that snatched away from them in the space of a few minutes.
It would have been sickening to see scum like Ratnolds and Dan Connor get their hands on a trophy.

Did anyone else think that it was the worst cup final crowd and atmosphere for many years?
I suppose that's what happens when you've got two small country teams in it.

Fair play to Longford anyway and thanks for humiliating the Waterford thugs.

Slash/ED
24/10/2004, 8:34 PM
Don't forget lads, tomorrow at 4pm on Sky Sports 3 there will be a half an hour worth of highlights of the game shown.

RedX
24/10/2004, 8:34 PM
I am delighted and not just because Longford won but just to see the look on Alan Reynolds and Dan Connors face..Waterford will never progress as a club with either of them there...they are two thugs and this is coming not just from City fans but from fans from clubs up and down the country that have had there players assaulted by these two over the last twelve months...

Longfordian
25/10/2004, 4:18 AM
Just on the crowd, we had up on 5,000 of the 9,600 or so there.slightly less than last year but Waterford brought less than that and considering they haven't been in a final since 1980? it seems disappointing, at a guess there was about 3,500 at most from Waterford. As regards atmosphere I felt the Longford singers and especially drummers did well and made themselves heard whereas we never heard Waterford at all hardly..It's not a knock Waterford thing just telling it as it seemed to me.

gardiner st.
25/10/2004, 6:38 AM
Great match Loved the second half dreaming of Jeanie in the first half
If carlsburg do Bands then my Granny on the banjo is a shooin to be a member
Reminesent of the scene from Casablanca the way our Pipers in the East Stand took on the carlsburg band and beat them hands down at half time

dortie
25/10/2004, 8:57 AM
Can someone explain why there was an Israeli flag behind one of the nets :eek:

gardiner st.
25/10/2004, 9:04 AM
just after watching the match again on Sky Sports 1
Guess what The Town won again and Paul Keegan should have gota penalty in the second half

De Town
25/10/2004, 10:33 AM
I thought the atmosphere was great yesterday, better than last year by a mile! I was sitting beside the singing section and thats why it didnt really come across that great on the telly as the main camera is the far side and thats were the most sound is heard.

patsh
25/10/2004, 10:36 AM
Did anyone else think that it was the worst cup final crowd and atmosphere for many years?
to be fair, I thought there seemed to be huge support for Longford, with plenty of colour and noise. Waterford must be fairly unhappy with their turn out though.
It would have been nice for Alan Carey to get a medal though.

De Town
25/10/2004, 10:41 AM
Waterford must be fairly unhappy with their turn out though.

Spot On!!!! I reckon there was 6,500-7,000 from Longford with the other 2,500-3,000 being from Wahhhherrrrrfurrrrr! This is a terrible crowd considering:

a) It is their first cup final in 20 years

and

b) Waterford is a fairly big county in comparrison to Longford

CuanaD
25/10/2004, 10:47 AM
I thought the atmosphere came accross well on TV. I only got to see the second half & by all accounts I didnt miss too much, but the football I saw was good & the better team won. Looked like the Longfordians outnumbered the Waterford supporters by 3 or 4 to 1. Keegan's reaction was brilliant - he obviously loves playing the game

yur man
25/10/2004, 11:30 AM
well done longford

so they now have setanta cup aswell as europe for next year. a busy next season then :ball:

CuanaD
25/10/2004, 12:49 PM
well done longford

so they now have setanta cup aswell as europe for next year. a busy next season then :ball:

Will this mean that Longford Cork & Shels are the 3 biggest teams in Ireland?

De Town
25/10/2004, 1:18 PM

Of course it does! Notice how 2 out of the 3 biggest clubs in Ireland are from outside of the pale! C'MON THE COUNTRY TEAMS BAR THOSE PR!CKS FROM WATERFORD AND ALAN RATNOLDS!

eoinh
25/10/2004, 1:27 PM
well done longford you really deserved it. great comback and i have to say i felt a lot of pleasure when the second longford goal went in.

keegans reaction was brilliant. the crowd was brutal though. typical of waterford though - lazy, moaning, underachievers.

dont mess up in europe next season - you have been warned. :)

De Town
25/10/2004, 1:33 PM
dont mess up in europe next season - you have been warned. :)

We won't. I really think we'll have learned from this year and will give a good account of ourselves next year. i.e. get through at least 1 round :)

harry crumb
25/10/2004, 2:29 PM
I thought the atmosphere was excellent. I don't know what your on about Colm.

And what is your problem with Waterford anyway. Bury the Hatchet. We should be cheering on our Munster neighbours. There was a good few Cork players playing for them. Longford on the other hand are nearly all Dubs.

Éanna
25/10/2004, 5:18 PM
typical of waterford though - lazy, moaning, underachievers.

spot on. delighted they lost. no doubt they'll still be claiming they're a bigger club than us :rolleyes:

max power
25/10/2004, 6:55 PM
spot on. delighted they lost. no doubt they'll still be claiming they're a bigger club than us :rolleyes:

we are a bigger club than yee, we are the biggest in ireland at the mo....3 trophies to win in ireland and 2 of them we in my hands last night. that is not a cocky statement, that is fact :D ;)

Longfordian
25/10/2004, 7:05 PM
He meant Waterford Maxi..leave those nice Cork boys alone! :)

max power
25/10/2004, 7:08 PM
He meant Waterford Maxi..leave those nice Cork boys alone! :)

i was just stating a fact as i said i would last night in a drunkin haze :D

ur right cork fans are honest, easy going people who are never wrong....ever :rolleyes:

missfootie
25/10/2004, 7:39 PM
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Brillant day and night was had by all...... Its what dreams are made of.....
Thank you lads!!!!!!!!

LOVE D TOWN..

Éanna
25/10/2004, 8:37 PM
we are a bigger club than yee, we are the biggest in ireland at the mo....3 trophies to win in ireland and 2 of them we in my hands last night. that is not a cocky statement, that is fact :D ;)
I WAS talking about waterford max. Longford are a force in Irish football, but I wouldn't think they're bigger than us. League position is what it comes down to in the end. Cups are nice, but there's no point in cups if you do crap in the league

Longfordian
25/10/2004, 8:38 PM
i was just stating a fact as i said i would last night in a drunkin haze :D

ur right cork fans are honest, easy going people who are never wrong....ever :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's coming back to me now alright..every so often something else pops back into my head.. :)

thecorner
25/10/2004, 10:18 PM
I don't know what your on about Colm.

And what is your problem with Waterford anyway. Bury the Hatchet. We should be cheering on our Munster neighbours. There was a good few Cork players playing for them. Longford on the other hand are nearly all Dubs.

u can add me to colms name there

i absolutley despise waaaaaaaherfur

iceman
25/10/2004, 10:36 PM

Im sure the Drogs will have something to say about that , Bohs on Friday and Cork twice next week....2nd place still up for grabs!

max power
26/10/2004, 2:06 AM
I WAS talking about waterford max. Longford are a force in Irish football, but I wouldn't think they're bigger than us. League position is what it comes down to in the end. Cups are nice, but there's no point in cups if you do crap in the league

still when murray holds his arms up at the end of the season it will be to put on lynx and not lift a trophy :p

oh and sorry cups aren't nice, they are fcukin brillant :D

lefty
26/10/2004, 9:16 AM
What the hell was the symbol on the back of the jerseys all about?

max power
26/10/2004, 9:22 AM
on the european trip the guys all read lance armstrongs book and it was a play on that.

alan is big into sports psychology and it shows.

"we are the champions my friends
and we keep on fighting TO THE END "

Éanna
26/10/2004, 9:28 AM
oh and sorry cups aren't nice, they are fcukin brillant :D
yeah, you're right. but the league is still more important

patsh
26/10/2004, 9:50 AM
Having watched the highlighs again on eL weekly last night, Waterford have good grounds for complaint about the first goal. Can't believe though that a Waterford player ignored the longford attack to go to kick the second ball off the pitch.

max power
26/10/2004, 10:05 AM
yeah, you're right. but the league is still more important

but to progress in the league u need finances and the cup wins give us the opp to sell gear and tickets to create that revenue also the more public exposure we get the more chance there are of extra sponsors coming on board.

tiktok
26/10/2004, 10:10 AM
but to progress in the league u need finances and the cup wins give us the opp to sell gear and tickets to create that revenue also the more public exposure we get the more chance there are of extra sponsors coming on board.

To be honest.
If I'd had the choice of qualifying for UEFA this year by either winning the FAI cup or coming second in the league, I'd have chosen the cup. I think we all would have four weeks ago before the six in a row run. No contest.

max power
26/10/2004, 10:24 AM
To be honest.
If I'd had the choice of qualifying for UEFA this year by either winning the FAI cup or coming second in the league, I'd have chosen the cup. I think we all would have four weeks ago before the six in a row run. No contest.

but six in a row means nothing if you lose the next two :(

tiktok
26/10/2004, 10:33 AM
but six in a row means nothing if you lose the next two :(

That's what I'm saying. I'd have preferred to win the cup and have some silverware. ;)