PDA

View Full Version : Man United 2-0 Arsenal

Ruairi
24/10/2004, 5:09 PM
So the gunners' unbeaten run comes to an end, deservedly so as i Thought united were the better team today. great ball by alan smith for rooney's goal, but the big question:

was it a penalty???

Closed Account 2
24/10/2004, 5:35 PM
Dont think it was tbh, although as you say Arsenal were poor today... Van Nistelroy was out of line on two or three occasions (looked like a stamping and late tackle(s), and the if FA look at video they really should give him a warning. Also didnt like the way the players kept moaning at the ref - certainly I wont shed a tear if Man Utd play Porto or someother team and are the victims of diving, playacting etc.

Fergie's Son
24/10/2004, 6:33 PM
Arsenal were very poor today. They just looked out of sorts. That said, United played well enough and maybe just deserved to nick it. Wasn't a penalty though and yes, I was sick of players crowding the ref.

Also, the fact that Neville was playing in central midfield shows just how weak United's midfield purchases have been. Djemba, Kliberson, Fletcher and O'Shea, not one of them even made the subs bench. Good result but a long way to go.

thecorner
24/10/2004, 10:36 PM
Dont think it was tbh, although as you say Arsenal were poor today...

maybe wasnt a penalty but about 10 minutes later ronaldo had a blatant penalty decision turned down

Ephor
24/10/2004, 10:42 PM
A lot of decisions went Man United's way today, but that's life I guess - in the end I think the best team won. As for the penalty, when you stick your leg out in front of a striker in a situation like that you're always going to give away a penalty. It might be a harsh decision, but I thought ultimately it was the correct one.

Van Nistelrooy was out of line today, so maybe the English FA should fine him a couple of thousand pounds like they did to the Arsenal offenders last season. :rolleyes:

Metrostars
25/10/2004, 3:05 PM
Arsenal were very poor today. They just looked out of sorts. That said, United played well enough and maybe just deserved to nick it. Wasn't a penalty though and yes, I was sick of players crowding the ref.

Also, the fact that Neville was playing in central midfield shows just how weak United's midfield purchases have been. Djemba, Kliberson, Fletcher and O'Shea, not one of them even made the subs bench. Good result but a long way to go.

Yeah, but Neville played great in midfield as he usually does against arsenal, with tackles flying in everywhere, he certainly kept vieira quiet. Now alex can put him back in his shoe box until the next time arsenal and united meet.

inexile
25/10/2004, 3:45 PM
just one personal observation im not a big fan of referees ask any of them in Limerick and they will tell you however for some reason i feel for MIke Riley a bit look at the big decisions he allegedly got wrong van nistelrooys challengee on cole was sickening but happened in front and i mean in front of the linesman and when i first saw it on tv i didnt see it so how was the ref supposed to the buck stops with the Linesman there imo, as for the penalty again id look towards the linesman again he has an unobscured view and could have helped with the decision as the refs view wouldnt have been as good, on whether ferdinand should have been sent off i dont agree maybe cos im a defender possibly should have been a free in but i think a yellow would have been harsh never mind a red, also ashley cole was lucky he wasnt sent off as his challenge on ronaldo was probably worth a second yellow plus it was a definitly a stone cold penalty does that balance out the first one? i dunno? campbell was stupid to put his foot out rooney took his chance credit to him for that i am also not 100% that there was no contact i think there may have been some slight contact, just for the record too by the way i dont support man u or arsenal so i have no axe to grind just my opinion

Closed Account 2
26/10/2004, 7:58 AM
The FA are going to investigate Van Nistelroys "tackle" on Ashley Cole. Having seen it again it was a disgrace, it could have been a career-ender, and Van Nistelroy of all people should know about the implications of that. The FA should throw the book at him. Talking of throwing apparently an Arsenal player threw some dinner over Ferguson after the match !?!?

joeSoap
26/10/2004, 8:22 AM
In my opinion, United should have had 2 penalties. Yes, Rooney certanly dived and made a meal of the first one, but he dived after deliberately running into a trailing leg...he played for the pen, and got it. The trailing leg should not have been there, so defo pen. Ronaldo was clearly taken down, no pen??
On the other side of the coin, Rio Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy both should have got straight red cards.
Arsenal didn't have the passion for it on the day, United wanted and needed it more, and thats why they got it.

Dublin12
26/10/2004, 9:32 AM
Does anyone know was the soup Campbells or Heinze :rolleyes:

I'll get me coat then :p

Closed Account 2
26/10/2004, 10:44 AM
I think it was this (http://img91.exs.cx/img91/6651/scotch_broth.gif).
Fergie's favourite "Scotch Wrath".

Taxi time

Macy
27/10/2004, 9:22 AM
Wasn't it pizza? They were trying to pepper rooney with it.....

Didn't see the game (obviously) only the incidents.

1) Definitely a dive - must have been watching Pires et al :rolleyes: For Wenger to give out about diving is like scousers giving out about other teams singing sick songs about disasters to them, hypocritical.

2) If the above wasn't a penalty, Ronaldo definitely was fouled.

3) Delighted Ruud did Cole - long time coming. It's not as if Cole himself is averse to going over the top of the ball in a tackle.

4) Ferdinand probably should've gone, but sometimes they walk sometimes they don't.

Roo69
27/10/2004, 10:17 AM
In my opinion, United should have had 2 penalties. Yes, Rooney certanly dived and made a meal of the first one, but he dived after deliberately running into a trailing leg...he played for the pen, and got it. The trailing leg should not have been there, so defo pen. Ronaldo was clearly taken down, no pen??
On the other side of the coin, Rio Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy both should have got straight red cards.
Arsenal didn't have the passion for it on the day, United wanted and needed it more, and thats why they got it.

Agreed on all apart from the Ferdinand point. I think he would have went if FL's 1st touch had of been good, but the fact that it went 15 yards ahead of him and Carroll had it all the way probably mad the ref's min up. It was a absolutey shocking touch and he was no were near under control of the ball. He or any of the Arsenal players didnt even make a major fuss over it, you always know by a players reaction !

United were the better side on the day and fully deserved their win, it probably should have been more with Rooney and Giggs missing very good chances as well.

FAO: Davros
"When they both behave so arrogantly & petulantly,the Munichs & the Arse deserve each other"

extremely bad taste my friend ! absolutey no need to slag off the death of probably one of the best bunch of players in history

KR's Post
27/10/2004, 10:27 AM
Agreed on all apart from the Ferdinand point. I think he would have went if FL's 1st touch had of been good, but the fact that it went 15 yards ahead of him and Carroll had it all the way probably mad the ref's min up. It was a absolutey shocking touch and he was no were near under control of the ball. He or any of the Arsenal players didnt even make a major fuss over it, you always know by a players reaction !

Totally agree with the point about freddie young-burg!! and his bad touch. sure ive been try to say it to gooner fans since the match but as usual they can't except defeat.(although doesn't happen that often)!!!! :) :) :)

inexile
27/10/2004, 10:50 AM
aside from the poor touch at worst it was a shoulder to shoulder charge ffs its a contact sport and its about time people realised that again otherwise we should all go and play basketball, add in the wet conditions and imho it probably shouldnt have even been a free kick and im a liverpool fan i hate both team equally so im not biased!!!

Kowalski
27/10/2004, 11:06 AM
3) Delighted Ruud did Cole - long time coming. It's not as if Cole himself is averse to going over the top of the ball in a tackle.
Ye i was glad Ruud did that even more delighted that he came out admitted it and apologised & took his ban like like a man, unlike Arsenal last season were I dont think Ruud got any sort of an apology off the Arsenal for the assault on him.

joeSoap
27/10/2004, 11:17 AM
aside from the poor touch at worst it was a shoulder to shoulder charge ffs its a contact sport and its about time people realised that again otherwise we should all go and play basketball, add in the wet conditions and imho it probably shouldnt have even been a free kick and im a liverpool fan i hate both team equally so im not biased!!!
Don't know what you were watching, but it was a blatant shoulder in the back, as he was trying to cross Ferdinand. Thats not allowed I'm afraid!!

And I'm a United fanatic by the way, so theres no bias...

Roo69
27/10/2004, 11:31 AM
The FA are going to investigate Van Nistelroys "tackle" on Ashley Cole. Having seen it again it was a disgrace, it could have been a career-ender, and Van Nistelroy of all people should know about the implications of that. The FA should throw the book at him. Talking of throwing apparently an Arsenal player threw some dinner over Ferguson after the match !?!?

Why choose to wait and make an example of RVN ? Should they not have done that to Cole last year when he went 2 footed about 3 foot over the ball and absolutey creased a lecister city player ? or either Hammans tackle on Boetang or Redknapps tackle on Cahill ? both far worse than RVN's tackle. Cole was up and about after 30 seconds. RVN came down his shin, where as the other tackles were well over the top. There was another tackle in the match (scholes i think ????) that was just as bad but we've heard nothing about that. I wonder will the FA throw the book at the Arsenal player who started throwing food ? Or Dr. Wegner for his public outburst ?

But as with always with the English FA they probably will use a United players as an example as they are the biggest club in the premiership. Just like they did with Ferdinand and his missed (but passed a day or so later) drug test.

DolansWaistcoat
27/10/2004, 11:42 AM
The junkie should have went,for bringing down a man clear through on goal.If it had happened with united 2-0 up and with a few minutes top go the referee would have sent him off imo.He bottled it.

As for the penalty,it was never a penalty. ;)

They would have got one for Ronaldo being brought down(Riley was afraid to give them two peno's because we all know how much he loves man u and he doesn't want us saying it more than usual),which was much more of a penalty imo so it doesn't matter anyway.

Was the Van Nist 'tackle' that bad.I mean career threatening is way over the top imo,ffs he racked the guys shin and will get a 3 game ban so thats the end of it imo,he didn't jump in the air and try to kill the poor fella. :rolleyes:

inexile
27/10/2004, 12:05 PM
i saw the game joesoap and the highlights that night and i still say that there is no way ferdinand should have as i have said before possibly a free kick but nothing more than that
RVN looked up saw Cole coming and did him he will get his suspension 3 games prob bout right

joeSoap
27/10/2004, 12:21 PM
i saw the game joesoap and the highlights that night and i still say that there is no way ferdinand should have as i have said before possibly a free kick but nothing more than that

So you can shoulder a guy in the back and get away with it?? And he was the last man back, although maybe Ljungberg was losing control of the ball, so a free kick and a yellow should have been given.

Macy
27/10/2004, 1:06 PM
This result will mean ManU finish well ahead of midtable. I suspect they may even get into the whole Newcastle/Liverpool group of also rans. But Arsenal are still a different class - that's not any criticism of ManU, because the current Arsenal team is up there with the best of the past 20/30 years.
Not so sure, if other teams put it up to the "invincibles" in the same way then we'll see. Mind you, they could do with winning a few trophies before they're up there with the best of the past 20/30 years....

Most overhyped game....of the millenium?
Surely that was lids v Brighton, or maybe not ;)

inexile
27/10/2004, 1:06 PM
joe soap contact was minimal and if you take into account the wet conditions and i dont think it was a shoulder into the back
put it this way if finny did something similar and was sent off you would be highly irate

tiktok
27/10/2004, 1:59 PM
"Fabregas threw the food. Van Nis went into Arsenal.
dressing room after the game going mad winding up Arsenalplayers after last
year. Wenger called him a Fcuking Cheat and told him to get out. Van Nis
went for Wenger, Edu stepped in and hit him, security guards piled in going
mad. The kitman was hit by the guards and got a broken nose. He wants to
pursue assault charge but Arsenal don't want him to. Ferguson then came in
and started as well, ranting at the Arsenal players. They told him to fcuk
off, he grabbed Fabregas who responded in kind. Man U dont want any
comebacks as Van Nis started it and their stewards were out of order.
Ferguson also knows he should not have gone in to the Arsenal changing room.
If Man U complain the kitman will pursue his claim. The police know what
happened. Difficult one for the FA."