PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

back of the net
06/02/2014, 12:37 PM
Good quality opponents in Italy and Turkey with more to come in the U.S hopefully

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-to-face-turkey-and-italy-before-us-tour-1.1680803

DeLorean
06/02/2014, 12:57 PM
Decent games alright. We could be missing a few for the Turkey game as the Championship Playoff final is the day before (as is the Champions League final but no need to worry about that!).

tetsujin1979
06/02/2014, 1:21 PM
and the Heineken Cup final, although that's not going to have much impact on the squad either!

DeLorean
06/02/2014, 1:38 PM
I'll be in Prague for a stag made up predominantly of Derby County supporters, could be mayhem if they make the final. Worse still if they're playing Nottingham Forest.

Great day of sport alright and the times are perfect, no clashes. Although I remember getting excited about the Heineken Super Saturday a couple of years back and it turned out to be two French teams in the Rugby and a pretty dull Champions League final between Inter and Bayern. The Championship playoff was decent though... Blackpool v Cardiff I think.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2014, 3:34 PM
I'll be in Prague for a stag made up predominantly of Derby County supporters, could be mayhem if they make the final. Worse still if they're playing Nottingham Forest.

Great day of sport alright and the times are perfect, no clashes. Although I remember getting excited about the Heineken Super Saturday a couple of years back and it turned out to be two French teams in the Rugby and a pretty dull Champions League final between Inter and Bayern. The Championship playoff was decent though... Blackpool v Cardiff I think.
was in Liverpool for that day, for a stag as well actually, and you're right the play off final was the best of the three games.
Took a while to find a bar showing the Heineken Cup final too.

BonnieShels
07/02/2014, 8:44 PM
Outside of that any indication of the date of the US game(s)?

Stuttgart88
08/02/2014, 12:42 PM
Is there any mention of the KO time on 25th May? I may take my little fella over for his home debut and if an afternoon game it might make sense to fly home that night.

ArdeeBhoy
14/02/2014, 11:43 AM
I heard 5pm...

Closed Account
14/02/2014, 1:26 PM
The FAI Junior Cup Final is scheduled for Sunday, May 25, in the Aviva Stadium prior to the Republic of Ireland-Turkey Senior international. So 5pm would make sense.

Stuttgart88
14/02/2014, 1:59 PM
Thanks. Someone else said 4pm. I'll keep an eye out.

Metrostars
14/02/2014, 2:14 PM
Outside of that any indication of the date of the US game(s)?

Given the Turkey game is on May 25 and Italy on May 31, we're probably looking at June 3-4 at the earliest. Which is a bit strange because World Cup teams would be heading down to Brazil by then anyway. I know the US is playing either Sweden/Serbia on May 27 in CA, Nigeria on June 7 in FL with a game at Red Bull Arena in NJ sandwiched between those 2, so maybe the US?

BonnieShels
14/02/2014, 3:58 PM
Cheers. Hopefully it's in NYNJ then I'll take a spin down.

paul_oshea
14/02/2014, 4:16 PM
You living in America Bring back my bonnie?

BonnieShels
14/02/2014, 4:49 PM
Moving to Ottawa in 2 weeks bucko.

TheOneWhoKnocks
14/02/2014, 4:54 PM
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireladn-portugal-new-jersey-1316257-Feb2014/

Playing Portugal in June.

TheOneWhoKnocks
15/02/2014, 2:05 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/fai-feels-the-sting-of-brooks-cleanout-258861.html

Blame Garth Brooks for only one home friendly; John Delaney is looking forward to his free vacation in America.

Crosby87
15/02/2014, 9:58 PM
Hope it isn't as boring as last summer. Which players do you chaps think will pull out with mysterious groin injuries, no pun intended?

DeLorean
16/02/2014, 9:46 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/fai-feels-the-sting-of-brooks-cleanout-258861.html

Blame Garth Brooks for only one home friendly; John Delaney is looking forward to his free vacation in America.

Hard not to get excited at the prospect of being a host city for Euro 2020, and indeed staging the Rugby WC. I take it Monte Carlo is out of the running for the Italian game so.

DeLorean
20/03/2014, 4:02 PM
Craven Cottage confirmed for Italy game (Sat, 31st May @ 19:45) (http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-italy-craven-cottage-friendly-1372133-Mar2014/?utm_source=facebook_short)

back of the net
20/03/2014, 4:37 PM
Craven Cottage confirmed for Italy game (Sat, 31st May @ 19:45) (http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-italy-craven-cottage-friendly-1372133-Mar2014/?utm_source=facebook_short)

I like it when we play at craven cottage - enjoyed the nigeria and columbia friendlies there a few yrs back

On a seperate but plus note - for boxing fans on the forum , isnt the Froch Groves fight on in wembley the same night - might try make that after the game!

ArdeeBhoy
20/03/2014, 4:58 PM
Yes...

Metrostars
20/03/2014, 5:16 PM
I think that TBA team is Costa Rica who we (or maybe it's our neighbours to the north) are playing on June 7 at Foxboro. Funny story:

The Costa Rican Football Federal (Fedefut) has some geography issues. The organization clarified today that Costa Rica’s final match before the World Cup will be against Ireland — and not against Northern Ireland as the association announced Tuesday (although Fedefut’s Facebook page still hasn’t addressed the bewilderment). The national team will play Ireland just southwest of Boston on June 7....
An official for Fedefut simply told Al Día, “for some reason, there was confusion” about the opponent.

In addition to the Northern Ireland match, Costa Rica will play one more June friendly. La Sele takes on Japan on June 2 in a yet-to-be-determined city in Florida. Costa Rica’s national team will train in Denver for a few weeks, beginning on May 20.

Ireland will clash with Costa Rica at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts. The site was chosen partially due to the large Irish population in the region. The stadium, home to the NFL’s New England Patriots, seats almost 70,000 and should make for a hostile visit for the Ticos. Federfut was searching for an opponent like one of the Irelands, since officials believe the Irish teams would better prepare Costa Rica for Group D rival England.
http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/03/13/costa-rica-to-play-northern-ireland-in-final-warm-up-before-the-world-cup

See, the FAI are not so bad after all...

Junior
20/03/2014, 6:51 PM
I like it when we play at craven cottage - enjoyed the nigeria and columbia friendlies there a few yrs back

On a seperate but plus note - for boxing fans on the forum , isnt the Froch Groves fight on in wembley the same night - might try make that after the game!

You'll be hard pushed to get across to Wembley for the fight though won't you. Full Time not until 21:30 and then exit and walk to tube........get across town etc...not sure what time the main fight will be but I presume 10'ish??

paul_oshea
20/03/2014, 6:57 PM
You will do well to get tickets for it botnet!!

Colombia friendly was good.just upset didn't know where they were drinking after ;)

BonnieShels
20/03/2014, 7:03 PM
You'll be hard pushed to get across to Wembley for the fight though won't you. Full Time not until 21:30 and then exit and walk to tube........get across town etc...not sure what time the main fight will be but I presume 10'ish??

Ask my post. There could be a direct bus.

Stuttgart88
20/03/2014, 7:56 PM
I think that TBA team is Costa Rica who we (or maybe it's our neighbours to the north) are playing on June 7 at Foxboro. Funny story:

http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/03/13/costa-rica-to-play-northern-ireland-in-final-warm-up-before-the-world-cup

See, the FAI are not so bad after all...
Can't wait to play Puerto Rico.

paul_oshea
20/03/2014, 9:10 PM
I get the joke you were trying to make stutts.

But Costa Rica is not part of the us.

BonnieShels
20/03/2014, 9:30 PM
Ah Jaysus Paul.

Neither is Puerto Rico. Technically.

But just let jokes go.

Stuttgart88
20/03/2014, 10:30 PM
Costa Rica is not part of the us.
Objection: relevance?

geysir
20/03/2014, 11:25 PM
2nd June Costa Pico play Japan in Florida
9th June against us in Boston
14th june against Uruguay WC in Brazil

I suppose that's one way to prepare for the World cup

paul_oshea
21/03/2014, 10:15 AM
Objection: relevance?

Well the joke was like oh they are all the same, the way they mixed up the north and the republic as though PR and CR are the same thing. Technically as BS says though its not part of the US it is however an unincorporated territory of the United States, but also they have no relationship, whereas Northern Ireland and the Republic have. If you had said like Nicaragua then i would have thought it was a good joke.

Stuttgart88
21/03/2014, 10:18 AM
And you tell me to get a life?

paul_oshea
21/03/2014, 10:19 AM
Fair point Stutts! I just over analyse certain things like this on technicalities when someone its trying to make an intelligent joke.

Btw if you like your geography download quizup, its a great game and challenge friends!

Stuttgart88
21/03/2014, 12:24 PM
Yep, I've played it. Good fun.

Closed Account 2
21/03/2014, 3:22 PM

30 mins is too little time. If you left 5 mins before full time and made it to Putney Bridge, you could be at West Brompton at 21:40, if you got a good connection on the overground you would be at Wembley Central around 22:05, but you have a good 10 min walk after that (depending on where you are sitting in the stadium). You would do well to get there in an hour.

SkStu
21/03/2014, 6:28 PM
Fair point Stutts! I just over analyse certain things like this on technicalities when someone its trying to make an intelligent joke.

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/3792_2.jpg

paul_oshea
21/03/2014, 8:58 PM
I wish!...

If only I was of sound mind tho...

Stuttgart88
21/03/2014, 10:16 PM
I like to think of myself as being quite mathematical, but game theory always got the better of me. Devilishly hard to get on top of, at least with my mental capabilities.

bwagner
22/03/2014, 11:09 AM
Marty in today's star talking about another friendly just before the Georgia game

Stuttgart88
22/03/2014, 11:37 AM
Is there an international date in the calendar before then? The August friendly has been scrapped, and rightly so.

bwagner
22/03/2014, 12:33 PM
He says in the piece that the Wednesday or Thursday before hand could see us play a friendly to be better prepared, He mentions the delay with the Portugal and Costa Rica games is on going and close to official

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/04/2014, 12:17 PM
Possible friendly being looked at for early September date.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/flurry-of-friendlies-before-euro-showdown-265675.html

“We bid for Euro 2008 with Scotland but that wasn’t realistic because we had no stadiums,” he recalled. “They the (Uefa inspectors) were brought out to Abbotstown and shown an empty field and brought to Croke Park who hadn’t made a decision to open it to soccer. This realistically is our best opportunity. To play four games here, three group games and a last 16, would be brilliant. It would raise the profile of the game. To be in it, would be the dream.”

Only in Ireland.

Stuttgart88
17/04/2014, 1:00 PM
As part of my coursework for a postgrad degree a few years back I profiled the FAI's successful bid for the 2011 Europa League final. I rang the FAI for help. They said they were busy with staging the home leg of the France game at Croker but once that was out of the way they said I could come over to Abbotstown and they'd show me all the paperwork and talk me through everything. Say what you like about the FAI but in this instance they were hugely cooperative and very impressive. The bid 10 years earlier was a shambles but the second bid was very thorough. Larry Mullen and George Hamilton played big roles, funnily enough.

jbyrne
17/04/2014, 1:29 PM
Possible friendly being looked at for early September date.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/flurry-of-friendlies-before-euro-showdown-265675.html

“We bid for Euro 2008 with Scotland but that wasn’t realistic because we had no stadiums,” he recalled. “They the (Uefa inspectors) were brought out to Abbotstown and shown an empty field and brought to Croke Park who hadn’t made a decision to open it to soccer. This realistically is our best opportunity. To play four games here, three group games and a last 16, would be brilliant. It would raise the profile of the game. To be in it, would be the dream.”

Only in Ireland.

exactly how many countries bid for these things with all / even most stadiums ready?
sure qatar just showed FIFA an empty desert and won the 2022 wc

Stuttgart88
17/04/2014, 1:42 PM
Only in Ireland. And Qatar. And Brazil. And...

In fairness, the Brendan Menton era FAI bid was utterly shambolic.

tetsujin1979
17/04/2014, 2:30 PM
exactly how many countries bid for these things with all / even most stadiums ready?
sure qatar just showed FIFA an empty desert and won the 2022 wc
an empty desert and a dumptruck full of unmarked non-sequential small bills
allegedly

geysir
17/04/2014, 4:44 PM
an empty desert and a dumptruck full of unmarked non-sequential small bills
allegedly
I'd say there's a wild difference between a FIFA bid inspectorate and a UEFA bid inspectorate.

Stuttgart88
23/04/2014, 12:51 PM
Who do folk here think are likely fringe candidates to be called up for the May / June games? Or, put another way, who should be called up?

Is Alan Judge seriously under consideration? Rob Kiernan?

Discuss...

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/04/2014, 12:56 PM
Eunan O'Kane, Shane Duffy, Joe Mason and maybe Leon Best.

Can't think of anyone else realistically as Chris McCann is injured.

Dunners
23/04/2014, 1:29 PM
Jack Grealish - all day long and Ronin Murray (is he worth a look ?) - Notts county
Sean Murray Watford - Lewis Shay Mcgugan Watford ( he is eligible ) having a great season by all accounts

thoughts on a post card TOWK