PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 12:30 AM
It's a catch 22. Robbie is a better finisher but we'll get more chances with Long in the team. He really is a handful for any defense. He would have everything if he had the finishing.
I would agree with this. The irritating thing is we know Long is capable of incredibly clinical finishing, he just doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it consistently.

Still, it's hard to escape the fact that from our last four games, we've drawn two, lost two and only scored two goals.

BonnieShels
01/06/2014, 12:40 AM
offer on the table from an unknown bundesliga team but he's still hoping for a concrete offer from a pl team. My prediction is that he will stay in the championship.

link?

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/06/2014, 12:43 AM
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/david-forde-considering-move-bundesliga-3622664

BonnieShels
01/06/2014, 1:19 AM
Please god he goes to Germany

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 1:35 AM
Depends on the club he goes to. Hopefully whether he goes to Germany or stays in England, he's at a team where he's playing first team football and is encouraged to distribute the ball well.

SwanVsDalton
01/06/2014, 1:44 AM
I hope Long doesn't get stick for those missed chances. He really had to spring up very athletically just to get a good head to the ball. And the second chance was from wide and he was never favourite to score.

Very encouraging stuff all round. Possibly McGeadys best game for us?

No stick, think most people are pointing out this was a typical Long performance - great leading the line, poor in front of goal. His finishing tonight was no different to other nights - it's just you were at the game and enjoyed it. ;)

I hope, and expect, we can back up this performance with a couple more like it. Our friendly form under Trap was weak at the end but over the years even his sides pulled out some relatively similar positive displays.

Grafter
01/06/2014, 10:25 AM
Please god he goes to Germany

Funny the German interest as always thought he had a "Germanic goalkeeper look" in the Kahn mold....

Grafter
01/06/2014, 10:30 AM
Ray Hudson on the bein sports link I'm watching on, he's an absolute nutcase, never a dull game with him on commentary

edit, thats a pen!

My favourite line from Ray last night was in relation to an Irish break downfield.... just imagine George Hamilton saying this :
"And he's off, like a cheerleader's dress on prom night!" :rolleyes:

mark12345
01/06/2014, 10:47 AM
No stick, think most people are pointing out this was a typical Long performance - great leading the line, poor in front of goal. His finishing tonight was no different to other nights - it's just you were at the game and enjoyed it. ;)

I hope, and expect, we can back up this performance with a couple more like it. Our friendly form under Trap was weak at the end but over the years even his sides pulled out some relatively similar positive displays.

I think we will back up this performance against Costa Rica and Portugal. At this moment in time I would be leaning towards a midfield of McCarthy, Hoolahan and Gibson. I think Stokes has to come in up front alongside Robbie with Long coming off the bench. Replace Ward with Wilson at left back and we have the makings of a team.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 11:21 AM
Some pics

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 11:23 AM
And a few more

pineapple stu
01/06/2014, 11:41 AM
Most of them taken in Australia, I guess? :p

paul_oshea
01/06/2014, 1:21 PM
As I suspected no one has mapped the correlation between italy first 10-12 mins and montilivo breaking his leg? italy tempo completely changed after that. If this were a proper qualifier or world cup game or euro game they would have beaten us no problem.

Ward is so sh1te tho. He really is. poor hoolahan too small and weak. longs chances last night were very difficult and he should have had a pen. In a qualifier it would have been a pen.

I thought meyler was whelan for a while with all the back passing thought when italy tried he was by passed and should have got more stuck in. good atmosphere and good crowd which was nice to see.but I won't read anything into this game. Italy clearly had their minds elsewhere and mainly not getting injured. We badly need to finish the few chances we create tho

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 1:38 PM
And right on cue Paul O'Shea shows up burst everyone's bubble and sanctimoniously point out that we're all ignoring what really​ happened.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 1:40 PM
Weren't Italy very much understrength? Therefore the majority playing last night are unlikely to start in the WC? Why, then, would they focus more on protecting themselves instead of putting down a marker in a rare chance to impress their manager? I very much doubt remaining fit enough to sit on the bench in the WC would be those guy's priority.

The commentators and pundits on Setanta made constant reference to the correlation between Ireland growing into the game and Montolivo's injury also. Of course it's a factor worth considering, but Italy still played well in spells after that and certainly didn't appear half paced to me, but it was a friendly at the end of the day. I think everybody accepts that.

paul_oshea
01/06/2014, 1:44 PM
I'd say they rather sit on a bench with the hope of making an appearance than lying down with a broken leg on the couch watching on TV.

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 1:47 PM
Yes Paul, it was a completely binary choice. Either sit on the bench or get a broken leg.

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/06/2014, 1:48 PM
As I suspected no one has mapped the correlation between italy first 10-12 mins and montilivo breaking his leg? italy tempo completely changed after that. If this were a proper qualifier or world cup game or euro game they would have beaten us no problem.

Ward is so sh1te tho. He really is. poor hoolahan too small and weak. longs chances last night were very difficult and he should have had a pen. In a qualifier it would have been a pen.

I thought meyler was whelan for a while with all the back passing thought when italy tried he was by passed and should have got more stuck in. good atmosphere and good crowd which was nice to see.but I won't read anything into this game. Italy clearly had their minds elsewhere and mainly not getting injured. We badly need to finish the few chances we create tho

I think too much is made of Hoolahan being small and weak. Was he small and weak when he bustled Motta off the ball and put Long through? Agree about Ward to an extent. He could have a good game for 85 minutes but he is always capable of making a rash decision. Agree too about Long. People seem to take a perverse satisfaction in him missing chances. You would swear he is on a goal drought but he has only went two Intl. games without scoring. Meyler already looks an improvement on Whelan, not that that is asking for much.

You have a point about the correlation between Italy's drop in tempo after Montolivo's injury. Montolivo and Aquilani both got injured in the space of twenty minutes. It would be naive to think that didn't have a lot to do with the success we had.

Not to take anything away from the performance - it was superb - but let's see if we can repeat it against Portugal, a side that regularly struggle against smaller European teams.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 1:59 PM
I'd say they rather sit on a bench with the hope of making an appearance than lying down with a broken leg on the couch watching on TV.

I think most fringe players would put the opportunity to impress well ahead of the perceived additional risk of getting hurt. By your logic the WC qualifiers would be better off not organising any pre-tournament games.

pineapple stu
01/06/2014, 2:06 PM
Weren't Italy very much understrength? Therefore the majority playing last night are unlikely to start in the WC? Why, then, would they focus more on protecting themselves instead of putting down a marker in a rare chance to impress their manager?
It's actually more than that - Italy haven't named their final squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Italy) as yet, so many of the players were actually playing for their place on the plane. So no reason at all to doubt they were well up for the game. Given we were also missing players, it's definitely a decent performance from us.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 2:09 PM
People seem to take a perverse satisfaction in him missing chances. You would swear he is on a goal drought but he has only went two Intl. games without scoring.

A perverse sense of satisfaction regarding one of our players doing poorly or making a mistake? I thought you had the monopoly on that.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 2:11 PM
It's actually more than that - Italy haven't named their final squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Italy) as yet, so many of the players were actually playing for their place on the plane. So no reason at all to doubt they were well up for the game. Given we were also missing players, it's definitely a decent performance from us.

Didn't realise that, case closed!

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/06/2014, 2:43 PM
A perverse sense of satisfaction regarding one of our players doing poorly or making a mistake? I thought you had the monopoly on that.

Except Shane Long didn't do poorly or make a mistake unless you count not scoring chances that weren't bonafide sitters as "playing poorly" or "mistakes". He was central to our good play along with McGeady, Pilkington and Hendrick; as opposed to say making a litany of defensive errors.

And I took no satisfaction in Keogh's error a week or so ago. You are too cynical of me.

I wanted to see Hendrick in the PL so I was p*ssed off.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 3:03 PM
It's hardly cynical of me to think you have it in for Keogh. You've been on his case in a pretty vindictive way ever since you first realised he has a thread on here! Even saying he's had a "litany of defensive errors" at the end of a season where he has clearly played well is selective, nit picking rubbish.

It's far more cynical to suggest that anybody on here would take any sort of joy in Long missing important chances that has cost us results, it's actually paranoia bordering on lunacy to even consider it as a possibility.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 3:41 PM

As I suspected only Paul didn't realise that Long was offside, that's why the ref brought play back for an earlier infringement.

And enough of your sanctimonious claptrap. Everyone i was with twigged the correlation between us getting into the game and Montelivo going off. You're not some sort of tactical visionary.

And Hoolahan is indeed too weak and small to twice dispossess an Italian centre back to set up a good attack.

Give credit where it's due. Good team performance, good individual performance, good football, good tempo. No, it's not a sign that we are now some sort of superpower but it's a big step up from the last two outings. No more and no less.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 3:44 PM
Except Shane Long didn't do poorly or make a mistake unless you count not scoring chances that weren't bonafide sitters as "playing poorly" or "mistakes". He was central to our good play along with McGeady, Pilkington and Hendrick; as opposed to say making a litany of defensive errors.

And I took no satisfaction in Keogh's error a week or so ago. You are too cynical of me.

I wanted to see Hendrick in the PL so I was p*ssed off.
Who said Long played poorly?

Plenty have said he misses too many chances to be considered reliable. They'd be right. Long didn't miss any easy chances last night, so nobody criticised him for it.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 3:55 PM
I'm just wondering if in Paul's world it's fair to dwell on poor friendly performances and equally fair to overlook the importance of a good one.

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 3:57 PM
Paul is too busy telling it like it is to dwell on anything.

DeLorean
01/06/2014, 4:04 PM
Who said Long played poorly?

Plenty have said he misses too many chances to be considered reliable. They'd be right. Long didn't miss any easy chances last night, so nobody criticised him for it.

Well actually...

Even I can not defend Long after that. F*** sake......

:)

BonnieShels
01/06/2014, 5:04 PM
Highlights up on Daily Motion for us non-fans: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xsp7e_italy-0-x-0-ireland-hd-highlights-friendly-match-31-05-14_sport

Crosby87
01/06/2014, 6:08 PM
Are you fine if unkempt chaps buying or selling the rumors that some first round world cup matches are already fixed?

tricky_colour
01/06/2014, 6:31 PM
Most of them taken in Australia, I guess? :p

Looks like he was hanging upside down from the roof of the stand.

geysir
01/06/2014, 6:35 PM
Highlights up on Daily Motion for us non-fans: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xsp7e_italy-0-x-0-ireland-hd-highlights-friendly-match-31-05-14_sport
Good to have the choice,
Though for more serious fans, the whole game is up on Sharing Irish torrents.
For some, it might offer a chance for a sober reflection on the game, but by sober reflection I just refer to alcohol count.
Possibly also, some fans got waylaid on their merry way to Craven Cottage and arrived late.

Yard of Pace
01/06/2014, 7:02 PM
Paul Rowan in the ST praised Ward's performance :) Said he'd been written off by the fourth estate too early.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 7:16 PM
Don't know what happened the pics. They're in my iPad the right way up.

ArdeeBhoy
01/06/2014, 7:39 PM
Try rotating them on there...but get the picture(s).

Enjoyable game. Forgive PO'S, he was tired and emotional, only after getting released by the FARC guerillas, or some such.

ArdeeBhoy
01/06/2014, 7:42 PM
Give credit where it's due. Good team performance, good individual performance, good football, good tempo. No, it's not a sign that we are now some sort of superpower but it's a big step up from the last two outings. No more and no less.

This.

Didn't notice all the other technical points made in his post, but willing to trust Stutts judgement, as it sounds like was undoubtedly paying more attention than the majority.

paul_oshea
01/06/2014, 7:44 PM
stutts I noticed it but what I knew you wouldn't have noticed is he seemed to play on after that point until long was brought down ignoring the linesman's call.he should have stopped straight away.

We have seen many false dawns at this stage. friendlies are there to form partnerships or understandings between players, that's about it or about all we can learn or in some cases where we discover a player is nowhere near the standard.....

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 7:55 PM
Paul Rowan in the ST praised Ward's performance :) Said he'd been written off by the fourth estate too early.
He's right. Apart from a couple of slips (I assume the grass was slippery) he was solid. He outperformed Coleman, and not for the first time.

geysir
01/06/2014, 8:13 PM
They (the nasty italians) did put the squeeze on Coleman.

Wardy also got wrongly implicated in Turkey's first goal last time, was it not Rowan who gave him a hard time or was it D Kelly? I thought Ward protected his area as well as anyone could then , our Seamus went missing, leaving 3 at the back and Delaney was almost linking arms with O'Shea.

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 8:14 PM
The match is being repeated on Setanta Ireland at 11.30 for all you diehards and YBIGers out there.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 8:41 PM
stutts I noticed it but what I knew you wouldn't have noticed
Sorry, what did you know exactly? I noticed the whole incident, and explained it to my mate beside me. Next.

It was a good performance. Acknowledge it. It may be a false dawn, it may not. Given our status as a football nation it's much easier to predict failure, as it'll probably be right.

Wrt Ward , I thought he let a high ball over his head very late on, letting his man attack the ball at the back post. Ball watching they call it. If he gets away with it, it's a nothing incident. If not, it's a calamitous error.

He did play a decent game though.

The whole game was a real eye opener, our seats being so low down and close to the pitch. Totally different experience to my upper tier Aviva seats.

BonnieShels
01/06/2014, 9:20 PM
Looks like he was hanging upside down from the roof of the stand.

That must be how he missed the advantage that the ref played in the lead up to Long's penalty shout.

geysir
01/06/2014, 9:25 PM
Sorry, what did you know exactly? I noticed the whole incident, and explained it to my mate beside me. Next.

It was a good performance. Acknowledge it. It may be a false dawn, it may not. Given our status as a football nation it's much easier to predict failure, as it'll probably be right.

Wrt Ward , I thought he let a high ball over his head very late on, letting his man attack the ball at the back post. Ball watching they call it. If he gets away with it, it's a nothing incident. If not, it's a calamitous error.

He did play a decent game though.

The whole game was a real eye opener, our seats being so low down and close to the pitch. Totally different experience to my upper tier Aviva seats.
I hope you did a good impression of Paul when you were explaining it to your (slow on the up) mate. :)

paul_oshea
01/06/2014, 9:27 PM
Good one bs.

I saw that from ward also, there were about 4 other big ones as well throughout the game.

For the couple of wes incidents mentioned I cant count on both hands how many times he was out muscled when the ball was in the air or "off the ground" - I know that sounds like one and the same but ye get me.

Stuttgart88
01/06/2014, 9:44 PM
Their players are better than ours. It's only natural that our players would find it harder to retain the ball. Wes did perfectly well, always wanting the ball and usually using it well. Better than anything else we've seen for Ireland in about 6 years, maybe more.

Yet, without resorting to hoofball, we created great chances, had some long continuous passages of pressure and had some really encouraging individual performances.

This wasn't a glass half full, half empty performance. It was more full than we have seen in a while yet you moan about spilling a few drops.

That Italian team may not have been their best, but I'd bet it's a better team than either Scotland or Poland with a bit to spare too.

I'm a fan. I'm sad when we're cr@p and I'm happy when we're good. We were good yesterday. We weren't good against Serbia or Turkey.

geysir
01/06/2014, 9:45 PM
I thought co-commentator Andy T was spot on when he picked out the wide midfield switch, McGeady/Pilks as having a main positive effect on our game in the 2nd quarter.
Is it us who just do this? I don't notice other teams doing it so much or as much. We have been doing it since Kilbane retired from left midfield. As sure as night follows day, if we can switch our wide midfielder then that's what we do. I suppose it's okay to show off that we have ambipedal footballers.

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 9:56 PM
I thought co-commentator Andy T was spot on when he picked out the wide midfield switch, McGeady/Pilks as having a main positive effect on our game in the 2nd quarter.
Is it us who just do this? I don't notice other teams doing it so much or as much. We have been doing it since Kilbane retired from left midfield. As sure as night follows day, if we can switch our wide midfielder then that's what we do. I suppose it's okay to show off that we have ambipedal footballers.
We've been doing it for a good bit longer than that. I remember Mick would switch around Duff (when he played him as a winger), Kennedy, Kilbane, O'Neill and McAteer. Kennedy scored that incredible goal against Yugoslavia from the right when I'm positive he started on the left. It's a great flexibility to have, especially when you have guys like McGeady who can play off either foot. It means defenders can't just show your winger down the line and think his job is done.

ArdeeBhoy
01/06/2014, 10:01 PM
Their players are better than ours. It's only natural that our players would find it harder to retain the ball. Wes did perfectly well, always wanting the ball and usually using it well. Better than anything else we've seen for Ireland in about 6 years, maybe more.

Yet, without resorting to hoofball, we created great chances, had some long continuous passages of pressure and had some really encouraging individual performances.

This wasn't a glass half full, half empty performance. It was more full than we have seen in a while yet you moan about spilling a few drops.

That Italian team may not have been their best, but I'd bet it's a better team than either Scotland or Poland with a bit to spare too.

I'm a fan. I'm sad when we're cr@p and I'm happy when we're good. We were good yesterday. We weren't good against Serbia or Turkey.

Wouldn't agree about 6 years, I think. But essentially agree, though even more essentially your post suggests our biggest problem then, is consistency.

SwanVsDalton
01/06/2014, 10:19 PM
Consistency is it, right enough AB. We've seen some decent friendlies in the past go by without any follow up. But it was certainly a pleasing performance. Next step is a win and a couple of goals.