PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Stuttgart88
27/05/2014, 10:31 AM
Well lads, time to move on from the other night and get behind the team for our next game.

We all know that the line ups for the upcoming games will change to our usual line up for the qualifiers, so have a few and relax.

There's a lot of ****e given out on here at times, admittedly a fair bit from me too.

But deep down we all love the team and will back them come what may.

Come on Ireland.True. As Crafty texted me a while back, the darkest hour is before the dawn.

Neither Jack nor Mick's early games gave much hope for encouragement but right now I'd bite your hand off for a repeat of what they both achieved.

Roll on Saturday.

Separately, my mate brought his 7 y/o to the Aviva for the first time on Sunday. The result and performance didn't bother his son one bit. A friend of my mate's knows JD and he fixed it for him to go to the players lounge (not sure if before or after game - Doc, what'd be normal?). My mate's kid said the whole game and experience was the best day of his life! Apparently Wes Hoolahan paid him special attention.

I'm bringing my lad to Fulham on Saturday. I think I have managed expectations wrt the outcome! His favourite player is...David Forde.

I emailed the FAI asking if there's any chance he can be a mascot, but apparently the Italians are making all the arrangements.

Bungle
27/05/2014, 10:47 AM
If Wes plays as well against the Italians, as he did the Turks, I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if a few Italian clubs take an interest in him. He'd actually be brilliant on the continent. For me, it says alot about the British/Irish football culture that he doesn't get more recognition, although I've heard Hansen, Shearer and Phil Thompson talk in detail about how good a player he is and their astonishment that the Canaries didn't use him more. I'm undecided if I prefer him or Reidy, but it is good to see that MON is looking at both of them, even if ultimately he has to pick one over the other. They have the type of game control that will be crucial in Georgia, Poland and Scotland.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2014, 12:49 PM
No the BBC time are correct, I screwed up, i saw the game advertised at 8pm Philadelphia time
but I incorrectly added 5 hours rather than take 5 away.

No, no, you'll only confuse matters further. You were right in adding 5 hours and will be perfectly safe searching for your link at 1AM in the morn. It's the BBC who have the times wrong. RTÉ have the times right: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0501/614702-ireland-to-meet-portugal-costa-rica-in-usa/

Martin O'Neill's side will face Costa Rica on 6 June at PPL Park in Philadelphia (1am 7 June Irish time) and Portugal four days later on June 10 (12.45am 11 June, Irish time) at Met Life Stadium, New Jersey.

At least I'll always know to trust you over the hallowed BBC in future, tricky. :p

Stuttgart88
27/05/2014, 12:56 PM
Will there be any way to watch these games live in the UK?

DannyInvincible
27/05/2014, 1:07 PM
Will there be any way to watch these games live in the UK?

The Italy and Portugal games will be live on Premier Sports/Setanta, but no confirmation that the Costa Rica game will even be broadcast on television anywhere, as far as I can make out: http://liveonsat.com/LJS_FT_friend_intl_ALL.php

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/05/2014, 3:39 PM
If Wes plays as well against the Italians, as he did the Turks, I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if a few Italian clubs take an interest in him. He'd actually be brilliant on the continent. For me, it says alot about the British/Irish football culture that he doesn't get more recognition, although I've heard Hansen, Shearer and Phil Thompson talk in detail about how good a player he is and their astonishment that the Canaries didn't use him more. I'm undecided if I prefer him or Reidy, but it is good to see that MON is looking at both of them, even if ultimately he has to pick one over the other. They have the type of game control that will be crucial in Georgia, Poland and Scotland.

Then there is the question of if he would accept a move to a foreign club if he was offered one. Irish players seem reticent to make a leap like that. Probably because of their wives and settling their children in foreign schools.

Stuttgart88
27/05/2014, 3:59 PM
The Italy and Portugal games will be live on Premier Sports/Setanta, but no confirmation that the Costa Rica game will even be broadcast on television anywhere, as far as I can make out: http://liveonsat.com/LJS_FT_friend_intl_ALL.php

Thanks. Is Premier PPV on a one-off basis or is it subscription only? I'm not paying a year's sub just to watch the Portugal friendly.

shakermaker1982
27/05/2014, 5:09 PM
Stutts I'm fairly sure it's only subscription. I've had it the last 2/3 years for the GAA (would cancel in Sept). The annoying thing about them is that they add a connection charge every time you subscribe - was a tenner last year just to sign up then a monthly fee of 10 quid.

If you have virgin then it's only 8 quid a month bizarrely.

Minimum term is 2 months.

ArdeeBhoy
27/05/2014, 5:09 PM
It'll be on a stream somewhere anyway, think that Premier Sports is £10 a month...and have to sign up for that as a minimum.

And what SM said too.

tricky_colour
27/05/2014, 5:50 PM
No, no, you'll only confuse matters further. You were right in adding 5 hours and will be perfectly safe searching for your link at 1AM in the morn. It's the BBC who have the times wrong. RTÉ have the times right: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0501/614702-ireland-to-meet-portugal-costa-rica-in-usa/

At least I'll always know to trust you over the hallowed BBC in future, tricky. :p

Oh OK so it seems I was right after all. I always remember that when it is midnight in the USA it is 5am here,
so taking 4 hours off both gives 1am here is 8pm in the USA.

I just kind of panicked when I thought I was wrong. So much for the BBC eh?
Is that what I pay my license fee for?

tricky_colour
27/05/2014, 5:52 PM
You should have kept quiet Tricky, let this one run out and then pretend you didn't know what Danny was on about..
Just remember, if you fly out at midday from to Dublin to NY, you arrive about midday local time. That means we are 5 hours ahead.

KO times are 5 hours ahead in Ireland

Do you have to travel at the speed of light for that to happen?

DannyInvincible
27/05/2014, 6:13 PM
Then there is the question of if he would accept a move to a foreign club if he was offered one. Irish players seem reticent to make a leap like that. Probably because of their wives and settling their children in foreign schools.

There could be a multitude of reasons as to why Irish players either seem generally reluctant or lack a realistic opportunity to move beyond the possible comfort zone of these isles. There might be cultural-linguistic obstacles or they may have a fear of having to adapt to a new all-round footballing style or tradition. The already-existing links between Ireland and English clubs (and their scouts) make it more likely that English clubs will get the "first pick" of developing Irish players in Ireland and so these players become embedded into the English footballing culture from an early age. Their whole careers, they'll have had it drilled into them that "moving across the water to the best league in the world" is the ultimate aspiration. Being under the impression that making it in England equates to playing at the pinnacle level of football globally, the notion of moving further afield might never even have crossed their minds. There's no real tradition of Irish players moving to clubs in continental Europe or beyond; it's an almost alien concept, bar a few rare exceptions. Scouts with links to continental European clubs aren't even common in Ireland, are they?

So, I'm sure it's not just those nagging wives and kids holding our poor lads back in every case... What a terribly sexist comment to make.

SolitudeRed
27/05/2014, 6:21 PM
I'd say Darren O'Dea's current situation is something that might explain why some players would be reluctant to move away although this is an extreme case of course but I am sure nobody really envisaged Donetsk becoming the centre point of what is looking like a civil war.

Ian Lawlor and Joe Murphy have been called into the squad as cover for Elliot who is getting married and the injured Randolph.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0526/619820-manchester-citys-lawlor-answers-irelands-call/

gastric
28/05/2014, 12:28 AM
24 years ago was one of the greatest summers ever. Wasn't sure where best to put this, but this is a look at where these heroes are now!
Nice to reminisce!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irelands-first-world-cup-team-where-are-they-now-30308444.html

Crosby87
28/05/2014, 1:42 AM
It was an interesting time for music. All the hair bands were going out kicking and screaming to be replaced by crap like nirvana which I loved at the time. Many eventual foot.ie members were caught in the middle. Stutts headed to Seattle and was mortified to learn his denim jacket was no longer in fashion. A stunned POSH watched as Motley Crue broke up and tried to figure out what this alice in chains thing was. Dr Peepee was covered in raw eggs for suggesting that the lads from posion were hotter than L7.

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2014, 3:21 AM
I could almost swear there was a time when I could vaguely understand Crosby's posts on this forum. But maybe I was just drunk.

tricky_colour
28/05/2014, 3:35 AM
Crosby's post are like Quantum Mechanics.

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2014, 4:27 AM
24 years ago was one of the greatest summers ever. Wasn't sure where best to put this, but this is a look at where these heroes are now!
Nice to reminisce!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irelands-first-world-cup-team-where-are-they-now-30308444.html

Thanks, but as at least one of the comments on the piece says, a bit light on detail. And they were involved in some brutal football, at times...

Stuttgart88
28/05/2014, 6:55 AM
Funnily enough, I had the grunge look down to a tee, but in 1988 before it became such a big thing in the pacific NW and beyond. New York chicks loved it, Boston less so :)

I did pick up my chitrali hat in an afghan shop in Boston though. They became an essential grunge item a couple of years later when the Pearl Jam bassist wore won. I was a visionary. Only Crosby realises it.

Crafty and I still reminisce about the Sub Pop golden era. I loved it.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2014, 7:56 AM
Sub Pop era? Think missed that one...maybe.

gastric
28/05/2014, 9:40 AM
Jeez, I thought I had derailed this thread. Crosby has sent it into outer space!
Ardee, would agree that it lacks detail, but it was nice to read, in particular about Morris and McLoughlin, I didn't know what became of them. Chris is now a pastie maker, that's a bit different!

geysir
28/05/2014, 9:45 AM
Post punk+post rock = sub pop.
No doubt, hedonistic.

In football terms, now we are going through a tongue twister, post hoof, pre free form era.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2014, 11:43 AM
Hmm, fair play. Never heard that term!

Stuttgart88
28/05/2014, 12:00 PM
Sub Pop was a Seattle record label that had bands like Mudhoney & Screaming Trees on the roster, the latter being criminally underrated.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2014, 12:44 PM
Know the bands, but grunge? No thanks, in the main...

Stuttgart88
28/05/2014, 1:33 PM
There was a super documentary on The Late Show (BBC2) in 1992 or thereabouts.

No Nirvana: Nevermind

http://reinspired.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/no-nirvana-a-late-show-special/

It's on youtube. Live performances from

Screaming Trees
RATM
REM (strange - as they were already famous)
Dinosaur Jr
Belly
Sonic Youth
Smashing Pumpkins
Pearl Jam
Sugar
and others

So, not necessarily grunge but good US alternative / rock. All at a time when dance was all the rage in UK and Brit Pop was about to emerge.

The best US acts of that era were miles better, as the above documentary proved!

bennocelt
28/05/2014, 1:56 PM
Stone Temple Pilots?:)
In Ireland some of those bands were popular, didnt know they were not so hot in the Uk

paul_oshea
28/05/2014, 3:16 PM
It was an interesting time for music. All the hair bands were going out kicking and screaming to be replaced by crap like nirvana which I loved at the time. Many eventual foot.ie members were caught in the middle. Stutts headed to Seattle and was mortified to learn his denim jacket was no longer in fashion. A stunned POSH watched as Motley Crue broke up and tried to figure out what this alice in chains thing was. Dr Peepee was covered in raw eggs for suggesting that the lads from posion were hotter than L7.

I had a great laugh at this. I also lived nirvana at the time, well a bit later.

A sobering thought coming back from Colombia was Stutts first post after the Turkey game. I saw a lot of me in it, not as much of TWOK in stutts, or vice versa mind...

paul_oshea
28/05/2014, 3:21 PM
Indeed you are correct, I am complete inept at such things.
For example I automatically think left is right, if it says click the icon on the bottom left I instinctively look to the right.

It is a good job I found out actually because otherwise I would be searching for a link for the game
at 1 am in the morning, indeed I am pretty sure I have done similar before.

I am fine with complicated stuff but useless with simple things!

Sorry my lord I followed instinct when i turned into those those toilets and proceeded to...

TheOneWhoKnocks
28/05/2014, 5:39 PM
There could be a multitude of reasons as to why Irish players either seem generally reluctant or lack a realistic opportunity to move beyond the possible comfort zone of these isles. There might be cultural-linguistic obstacles or they may have a fear of having to adapt to a new all-round footballing style or tradition. The already-existing links between Ireland and English clubs (and their scouts) make it more likely that English clubs will get the "first pick" of developing Irish players in Ireland and so these players become embedded into the English footballing culture from an early age. Their whole careers, they'll have had it drilled into them that "moving across the water to the best league in the world" is the ultimate aspiration. Being under the impression that making it in England equates to playing at the pinnacle level of football globally, the notion of moving further afield might never even have crossed their minds. There's no real tradition of Irish players moving to clubs in continental Europe or beyond; it's an almost alien concept, bar a few rare exceptions. Scouts with links to continental European clubs aren't even common in Ireland, are they?

So, I'm sure it's not just those nagging wives and kids holding our poor lads back in every case... What a terribly sexist comment to make.

Sexist? You can't be serious? How was anything I said remotely sexist? I didn't make any judgments.

It is a fact that most footballers wives do not work apart from the rare exception. Therefore, it should be the footballer's decision as to where he goes to make his living.

Too many of our footballers are leaving those choices to their girlfriend/wife's discretion and it impacts on on our national team, because they'll end up twiddling their thumbs in the SPL, Championship or League One when they could be testing themselves in a foreign country with a new culture and more technical level of football.

Use Gavin Gunning as an example. He's linked with Palermo. He says he's going to consult with his family before he makes a decision as to where he continues his career. He'll probably end up going to Rangers or Sheffield Wednesday at a push because his wife doesn't want to move to another country. He won't be an option if he's playing in the Scottish second division.

Look at how playing abroad has benefited Cillian Sheridan, Darren O'Dea and Kyle Lafferty. Champions League, Europa League and Serie A promotion respectively. Even Stephen Hunt retrospectively said that he regrets not moving to Valenciennes.

It's their loss and ours too. I just find it amazing that, as a country, we have disproportionately high emigration rates in proportion to comfort of living. You have Irish lads on every corner of every continent yet these pampered footballers (and wives) can't abide the thought of living in a country where people speak a different language for 2.. 3 years.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2014, 7:12 PM
Ian Rush ruined it for everyone by declaring that playing in Italy was like playing in a different country.

From a personal perspective I think there is an age at which it's awkward to relocate children. At the same time if you'rre a footballer changing jobs you'll have to relocate almost every time you move. It goes with the territory. By the time a footballer's career is finished - say 35 - it's unlikely the kids will be older than 11 so the player can settle when his oldest kid is starting secondary school, so the kids will have all the stability they can expect. Of course the player may then become a coach so it starts all over again.

Anyway, if you're in Dundee you might as well move to Palermo as Peterborough.

I see Andy Keogh is on his way to WA to play for Perth Glory. Good luck to him. Perth or Bermondsey. No brainier.

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2014, 7:16 PM
Sexist? You can't be serious? How was anything I said remotely sexist? I didn't make any judgments.

It is a fact that most footballers wives do not work apart from the rare exception. Therefore, it should be the footballer's decision as to where he goes to make his living.

Too many of our footballers are leaving those choices to their girlfriend/wife's discretion and it impacts on on our national team, because they'll end up twiddling their thumbs in the SPL, Championship or League One when they could be testing themselves in a foreign country with a new culture and more technical level of football.

Use Gavin Gunning as an example. He's linked with Palermo. He says he's going to consult with his family before he makes a decision as to where he continues his career. He'll probably end up going to Rangers or Sheffield Wednesday at a push because his wife doesn't want to move to another country. He won't be an option if he's playing in the Scottish second division.

Look at how playing abroad has benefited Cillian Sheridan, Darren O'Dea and Kyle Lafferty. Champions League, Europa League and Serie A promotion respectively. Even Stephen Hunt retrospectively said that he regrets not moving to Valenciennes.

It's their loss and ours too. I just find it amazing that, as a country, we have disproportionately high emigration rates in proportion to comfort of living. You have Irish lads on every corner of every continent yet these pampered footballers (and wives) can't abide the thought of living in a country where people speak a different language for 2.. 3 years.
It's funny how what you originally said wasn't inherently sexist but in denying it you've made it clear it was. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Irish players are staying in Britain because of their wives or girlfriends apart from your own baseless speculation. O'Dea is evidence to the contrary, in fact, and I haven't seen any player suggest he turned down a move abroad because his wife didn't want to leave.

tricky_colour
28/05/2014, 7:37 PM
It's funny how what you originally said wasn't inherently sexist but in denying it you've made it clear it was. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Irish players are staying in Britain because of their wives or girlfriends apart from your own baseless speculation. O'Dea is evidence to the contrary, in fact, and I haven't seen any player suggest he turned down a move abroad because his wife didn't want to leave.

Well with they money they can get these days it is more likely the wife would leave him if he didn't go!

geysir
28/05/2014, 8:45 PM
Robbie's woman knows her place or maybe she can tell the difference between Birmingham and LA.

DannyInvincible
29/05/2014, 9:39 PM

Yes, it's all the fault of those lazy gold-diggers... :rolleyes: Whether it's to appear opinionated or assertive or whatever, you have a habit of jumping to brash conclusions or the most extreme position possible based on little more than your own preconceptions and made a sweeping remark that I sensed betrayed an element of casual sexism. Sure enough, my senses hadn't deceived me. If it requires pointing out, didn't you judge the wives of players to be primarily (singly?) at fault for what you perceive to be a failing of Irish footballers? You also appear to have some interesting views on a "woman's place" to boot; not only are these selfish gold-diggers holding back their husband's careers by speaking above their station, in doing so, they're also depriving us fans of the entertainment we're due!...

Why don't you hold Irish footballers accountable for their own decisions? Who's holding back single Irish footballers? And what gives you the impression most footballers' wives don't work? Even if some don't, you think that should deny them a voice? It's only natural a player would consult his wife on a decision that would affect them jointly. That doesn't abrogate him of personal responsibility, nor does it mean you can lump blame upon his wife when a private decision is made between two sentient beings that isn't to your personal liking.

Crosby87
29/05/2014, 11:12 PM
Robbie's woman knows her place or maybe she can tell the difference between Birmingham and LA.
Yes Alabama kind of looks like CA in places but she can tell the diff.

tetsujin1979
30/05/2014, 11:11 AM
Italy announce their starting XI: https://twitter.com/Vivo_Azzurro/statuses/472325394742673409

#Italy (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Italy?src=hash) starting team vs @FAIreland (https://twitter.com/FAIreland) #Sirigu (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sirigu?src=hash) #Darmian (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Darmian?src=hash) #Paletta (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Paletta?src=hash) #Bonucci (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bonucci?src=hash) #DeSciglio (https://twitter.com/hashtag/DeSciglio?src=hash) #Motta (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Motta?src=hash) #Verratti (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Verratti?src=hash) #Montolivo (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Montolivo?src=hash) #Marchisio (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marchisio?src=hash) #Immobile (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Immobile?src=hash) #Rossi (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rossi?src=hash)

DeLorean
30/05/2014, 11:15 AM
Glenn Whelan should be tailor-made to man mark Immobile.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2014, 12:43 PM
It's funny how things pan out. Two years ago, Noel King's U21s went to Italy where, playing most of the game with their first choice centre-half red carded, they won 4-2 to an Italy side featuring Immobile and El-Shaarawy up front. El-Shaarawy has been a mainstray at Milan for a couple of years and would be going to the World Cup were it not for injuries, while Immobile has just replaced Lewandowski at Dortmund. Conor Henderson scored two in that match (as far as I recall) and has just been released by Hull.

geysir
30/05/2014, 12:53 PM
That was a dead rubber game for Italy who were perhaps taken aback that Ireland didn't grab the offered traditional draw.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2014, 1:11 PM
Dead rubber or not, they played a full team. I don't buy the idea that international teams show up and play at half speed.

DeLorean
30/05/2014, 1:31 PM
Even so, they still walked the group and went on to contest the final of the tournament. It seems perfectly logical that their players would be doing better than ours now, one seemingly freakish result aside.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2014, 1:41 PM
Well yeah you'd expect them to do well, it's just interesting to see where the respective squads have gone. A good few of them have played for Italy whereas none of ours have played senior international footballer even though the step up is much less steep.

DeLorean
30/05/2014, 1:48 PM
The traditional sides seem to be able to nurture the talent much better alright.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2014, 2:20 PM
I don't think it's even that, I think most sides are pretty good at it. To be fair, from that team, Duffy, Hendrick, Cunningham and Brady were all missing through injury and suspension having played in the previous game.

ArdeeBhoy
30/05/2014, 3:31 PM
Dead rubber or not, they played a full team. I don't buy the idea that international teams show up and play at half speed.

Heh, you clearly haven't been to a few Ireland games over the years, especially certain home friendlies...
:rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
30/05/2014, 6:07 PM
These quotes from Doyle seem to support my long-held suspicion, from looking at their body language when playing together, that Doyle's relationship with Robbie Keane is a working relationship but not much more.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0530/620565-doyle-no-one-will-match-robbies-record/

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2014, 8:55 PM
What quotes support that?

Stuttgart88
31/05/2014, 9:04 AM
I thought it was very begrudging praise. The kind TOWK gives him!

DeLorean
31/05/2014, 12:10 PM
It's certainly a TOWK-like interpretation of what he said :)