PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Stuttgart88
12/06/2014, 6:43 PM
No historic straws to clutch, that tour happened around the Falklands war 1982 and just before the 1984 qual campaign which fizzled out early in Oslo.
Surely you are not comparing this summer tour to that one?
Great article and interview with Eoin Hand on that tour here, including the revelation that we actually beat Trinidad!

http://www.thescore.ie/eoin-hand-ireland-brazil-1982-1513921-Jun2014/

Anyway, Eoin is relaxed enough about the Portugal result.

I have to say I have great admiration for him.

SkStu
12/06/2014, 6:54 PM
The reaction to the Portugal result is way over the top. I saw some positives and some learnings. We'll be grand. We still have the players, team and managers to qualify for 2016. No need for the drama just yet ladies.

geysir
12/06/2014, 10:04 PM
The embarrassing standing ovation for McLean as far as I recall had little to do with Trap but a Nordie declaring for us.

It was similar to the ovation McCarthy got when he came on as sub, such is the way with high profile 'declarees' and there's nothing embarrassing about it.

geysir
12/06/2014, 10:20 PM
Great article and interview with Eoin Hand on that tour here, including the revelation that we actually beat Trinidad!

Anyway, Eoin is relaxed enough about the Portugal result.

I have to say I have great admiration for him.
I didn't realise until today that we actually beat T+T.

geysir
12/06/2014, 10:26 PM
My scientific analysis of the World Cup campaign has yielded compelling evidence that we have a better chance of getting a result against the Germans in Germany than in Ireland.
But if we played with Andy Keogh in the away game, the chances are even better of getting a result.

Charlie Darwin
12/06/2014, 11:31 PM
But if we played with Andy Keogh in the away game, the chances are even better of getting a result.
Still due an important goal in Andy.

BonnieShels
13/06/2014, 3:14 AM
Still due an important goal in Andy.

You're talking about the scorer of important goals, Keith "Andy" Andrews right?

shakermaker1982
13/06/2014, 9:00 AM
I'd be seriously worried if our A team got a 5-1 spanking but the B team? Christ we had a back 5 made up of Championship players going up against one of the top sides in the world.

MO'N will now know who he can rely on from September & who isn't up for the battle. It has been a useful exercise. No pain no gain etc.

geysir
13/06/2014, 10:35 AM
We're talking about the only Irishman to score against this German team.

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/06/2014, 11:19 AM
Keith Fahey got an ovation at the RDS when he debuted.

It has nothing to do with whether you are a Nordie, Scot or Irish.

Fixer82
13/06/2014, 11:24 AM
I felt we actually played some nice confident football at times against Portugal. There was a period in the second half where they could not get the ball off us. Unforunately it had no end product for us.
Our 3 big problems were (1) at the back (3 out of the 4 are not generally first 11 players and all are Championship players), (2) our wingers probably aren't good enough at unlocking the door and burning by the opposition's full backs and (3) we don't seem to have goals in us and can't keep relying on Robbie to deliver for us.

I thought Meyler, Hoolahan and Hendrick did really well. Forde had an off day but is our No.1 I feel.
Under Trap we may not have lost to Portugal by that much (then again, we may have) but we certainly would not have played ANY football on the ground like that, that's for sure. It would have been booted up to Sammon and watching him get beaten in the air, time after time

Fixer82
13/06/2014, 12:08 PM

“we should have never went on that trip because of the Falklands War."

Why not? It was nothing to do with us

Metrostars
13/06/2014, 12:30 PM
I didn't realise until today that we actually beat T+T.

Never knew that in the 7-0 loss to Brazil, 6 of the goals came from set pieces and who that was in goal? McDonagh? He is the blame for at least 3 of them.
laHd1jLRhMs

geysir
13/06/2014, 12:32 PM
“we should have never went on that trip because of the Falklands War."

Why not? It was nothing to do with us
It was being organised by the FAI for starters.
We were down to play Argentina.
Hand had to go to English clubs for the release of players to go on a summer tour which included a country that England had declared war upon. Those players were never going to be released. If Joe Lapira was around then, he would have been capped. That's not the team you'd want to take to Brazil.
In the end the fixture with Argentina was cancelled but the tickets were never changed, the team were on a plane that landed in Buenos aries.

geysir
13/06/2014, 12:40 PM
Never knew that in the 7-0 loss to Brazil, 6 of the goals came from set pieces and who that was in goal? McDonagh? He is the blame for at least 3 of them.
Forde would have caught them standing.
At least Brady lived long enough to exact a sweet retribution and recover much of whatever dignity he lost out there.

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 12:53 PM
Keith "Andy" Andrews has already scored more than his fair share of important goals. We're talking about Andy "Andrew" Keogh.

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/06/2014, 1:08 PM
Keogh has made barely any starts, let alone starts in his natural position. His goals per minutes ratio probably isn't far off most of our strikers. Good finishes against Serbia and Germany; impressive cameo against Uruguay. Who knows what he could have done if he was given more chances? He could have been a decent back up instead of the figure of mirth that he is now.

Metrostars
13/06/2014, 1:12 PM
I'd be seriously worried if our A team got a 5-1 spanking but the B team? Christ we had a back 5 made up of Championship players going up against one of the top sides in the world.

MO'N will now know who he can rely on from September & who isn't up for the battle. It has been a useful exercise. No pain no gain etc.

I agree to an extent, yes it was our B team especially the back 4. First choice would be Coleman-O'Shea-Delaney-Wilson with Dunne, Clark and Pearce in contention, although O'Shea and Dunne are getting long in the tooth. I'm a little worried if Coleman or Wilson are injured for a qualifier, the likes of Kelly/McShane/Ward are not up to scratch. I thought Hendrick and Hoolihan did well and we still have McCarthy and Wilson to come back.

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/06/2014, 1:14 PM
The lack of leadership is also a worry if Dunne and Keane are taken out of the equation. O'Shea is a powder puff.

SwanVsDalton
13/06/2014, 1:18 PM
Keogh has made barely any starts, let alone starts in his natural position. His goals per minutes ratio probably isn't far off most of our strikers. Good finishes against Serbia and Germany; impressive cameo against Uruguay. Who knows what he could have done if he was given more chances? He could have been a decent back up instead of the figure of mirth that he is now.

Andy Keogh got 30 caps and, in hindsight, it's stunning he got more than 10. Let's not get carried away here, Keogh has done very well for himself on the international front. He's had plenty of chances, and domestically, but now he's in the A-League. He just ain't good enough, never was, never will be. He's an honest guy and a hard worker, to his credit. Hope he does well in Australia but just not an international footballer.

The lack of leadership is also a worry if Dunne and Keane are taken out of the equation. O'Shea is a powder puff.

O'Shea got some good notices for his captaincy at Sunderland over the last six months.

If O'Neill deems Keane is no longer an automatic starter, and Dunne isn't back in the equation, would O'Shea be our most likely captain for the campaign?

Crosby87
13/06/2014, 1:36 PM
Walters would be the skipper I think.

Stuttgart88
13/06/2014, 2:13 PM
Did Andy Keogh not miss a simple header from 6 feet against Uruguay?

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 2:14 PM
Did Andy Keogh not miss a simple header from 6 feet against Uruguay?
He did indeed. He was saving the goals for the important games.

jbyrne
13/06/2014, 2:45 PM

O'Sheas captaincy of sunderland hardly did them any harm in their near miracle escape from relegation in their last 6 matches or so

geysir
13/06/2014, 3:07 PM
Keith "Andy" Andrews has already scored more than his fair share of important goals. We're talking about Andy "Andrew" Keogh.
Seems like the scientific project to improve our chances of beating Germany by including our only player who has proven his ability to score against them, has hit the stone wall obstacle of seriousness.

Fixer82
13/06/2014, 3:33 PM
It was being organised by the FAI for starters.
We were down to play Argentina.
Hand had to go to English clubs for the release of players to go on a summer tour which included a country that England had declared war upon. Those players were never going to be released. If Joe Lapira was around then, he would have been capped. That's not the team you'd want to take to Brazil.
In the end the fixture with Argentina was cancelled but the tickets were never changed, the team were on a plane that landed in Buenos aries.

well explained. thanks for clearing that up. I picked up that he was saying we should not have gone to make a political stand

the doc
13/06/2014, 4:13 PM
I agree to an extent, yes it was our B team especially the back 4. First choice would be Coleman-O'Shea-Delaney-Wilson with Dunne, Clark and Pearce in contention, although O'Shea and Dunne are getting long in the tooth. I'm a little worried if Coleman or Wilson are injured for a qualifier, the likes of Kelly/McShane/Ward are not up to scratch. I thought Hendrick and Hoolihan did well and we still have McCarthy and Wilson to come back.

What a load of rubbish!

How soon ye forget, cheers fellas

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 4:18 PM
Seems like the scientific project to improve our chances of beating Germany by including our only player who has proven his ability to score against them, has hit the stone wall obstacle of seriousness.
You can't talk science with yokels.

BonnieShels
13/06/2014, 4:23 PM
We're talking about the only Irishman to score against this German team.

Ah Jaysus lads.

tricky_colour
13/06/2014, 4:34 PM
O'Sheas captaincy of sunderland hardly did them any harm in their near miracle escape from relegation in their last 6 matches or so

Didn't he lead some sort of player revolt in getting di canio out?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/26/paolo-di-canio-sunderland-john-oshea

"I don't like people who, when they speak to you, don't look into your eyes," said the 45-year-old Italian who now believes it is his "destiny" to manage West Ham. "He [O'Shea] should say sorry to some of his team-mates for the many times he came into my office to say something unfavourable about them. This is the same person that also came to me when I first took over and said things about [Martin] O'Neill."<=======

Razors left peg
13/06/2014, 5:45 PM

Except hes was crap at club level too.....

Stuttgart88
13/06/2014, 8:38 PM
Even the best teams can go 5-1 down.

tricky_colour
14/06/2014, 7:37 PM
Costa Rica currently 1-0 down to Uruguay the final result should put out 1-1 draw into perspective somewhat, assuming you can put the 5-1 thrashing by Portugal out of you mind ;)

tricky_colour
14/06/2014, 8:23 PM
Costa leading 2-1
That could have been us guys, that could of been us.

Yard of Pace
15/06/2014, 10:35 AM
Except hes was crap at club level too.....

Him and Billy Sharp tore it up for Scunthorpe for a couple of seasons...

ArdeeBhoy
15/06/2014, 9:04 PM
Costa leading 2-1

If we were in CONCACAF, maybe!

Stuttgart88
15/06/2014, 9:44 PM
Costa leading 2-1

Well, which is it? Were you unsure of your grammar and hedging your bets?

ArdeeBhoy
15/06/2014, 10:34 PM
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-mcclean-boasts-ireland-unbeaten-italy-uruguay-1518357-Jun2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/embeds/twitter/5a7bc7876c5dbb1364ca5c6344d11af7.png

Charlie Darwin
15/06/2014, 10:50 PM
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-mcclean-boasts-ireland-unbeaten-italy-uruguay-1518357-Jun2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/embeds/twitter/5a7bc7876c5dbb1364ca5c6344d11af7.png
You wouldn't get this kind of sectarian trouble-making from Chris Baird.

ArdeeBhoy
15/06/2014, 10:59 PM
What's his relevance though...
:rolleyes:

Charlie Darwin
15/06/2014, 11:01 PM
God :rolleyes:

ArdeeBhoy
15/06/2014, 11:10 PM
Chris Baird is 'God'? Hmm, not sure even his own family would claim that one...
;)

Stuttgart88
16/06/2014, 11:47 AM
It's staggering that a totally benign comment from James attracts such criticism.

For what it's worth, I think the Costa Rica result and performance deserve a reappraisal even if it was obvious to most that they were likely to be a tough opponent.

ArdeeBhoy
16/06/2014, 11:53 AM
Hmm, Costa Rica looked a completely different side v. Uruguay IMO!

Anyway, glass half-full?
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/american-tour-disaster-not-shipwrecked-3696636

NeverFeltBetter
16/06/2014, 12:24 PM
It's staggering that a totally benign comment from James attracts such criticism.

For what it's worth, I think the Costa Rica result and performance deserve a reappraisal even if it was obvious to most that they were likely to be a tough opponent.

It's just the thing with the way the media treats him now. He could say literally anything on Twitter and they'd find something to stir the pot with.

geysir
16/06/2014, 1:10 PM
I think the criticism Stutts was referring to, is the reaction on the comments page on journal.ie, not the media per se.

How did the Romans handle the riff-raff of society? certainly they wouldn't have given them opportunity to leave comments in the media..

osarusan
16/06/2014, 5:19 PM
How did the Romans handle the riff-raff of society? certainly they wouldn't have given them opportunity to leave comments in the media..

MacClean eunt domus.

back of the net
16/06/2014, 5:25 PM
Yep germany shudnt cause us too many problems :-D

Charlie Darwin
16/06/2014, 5:27 PM
Has McClean commented on the Portugal game yet?

back of the net
16/06/2014, 5:33 PM
he commented in german to his massive german fanbase