PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Park_Lane
04/06/2014, 7:41 AM
Can anyone answer why Long is constantly chewing gum or whatever it is on the pitch? Is there a particular reason for it related to performance?

Im probably being a bit unfair but everytime I see him miss a chance and theres a close up of him chewing away on something it just looks like hes being too damn casual. Im a big fan of his, if he had half of Robbies finishing ability he could be a world beater but he should have burried some of the chances he had recently.

I agree with everything Joe says here, I would hope that someone is spending extra time with him coaching him on his finishing. And someone tell him to get rid of the bloody gum before he chokes on it!

Apparently he chews nicotine gum, so I've heard anyway. He really is an awful finisher, no composure in front of goal.

tetsujin1979
04/06/2014, 9:43 AM
Apparently he chews nicotine gum, so I've heard anyway. He really is an awful finisher, no composure in front of goal.
yep nicotine gum, confirmed it himself on twitter a few months ago - https://twitter.com/Shanelong009/status/377561306964168704

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2014, 10:40 AM
yep nicotine gum, confirmed it himself on twitter a few months ago - https://twitter.com/Shanelong009/status/377561306964168704

He says caffeine gum, is that not something else?

DeLorean
04/06/2014, 10:58 AM
I'd say he started using the caffeine gum during the Trap era :)

Razors left peg
04/06/2014, 5:22 PM
Caffeine or nicotine gum.... to fight the craving for a cigarette and a cup of coffee, any wonder he cant concentrate in front of goal with all that going on :)

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2014, 5:23 PM
Caffeine or nicotine gum.... to fight the craving for a cigarette and a cup of coffee, any wonder he cant concentrate in front of goal with all that going on :)

Gets the jitters every time he's clean through on goal.

Say no to drugs, kids.

tricky_colour
04/06/2014, 8:07 PM
Gets the jitters every time he's clean through on goal.

Say no to drugs, kids.

That is a good point actually, I am surprise there is not some sort of ban as caffeine is a stimulant,
but obviously that's not really feasible as caffeine is in tea coffee etc.

Obviously having faster reaction might help but as you say it could also have the effect
of giving you the jitters in front of goal. I hope he is keep track of his goal scoring rate
since he start using it to see if it having an adverse effect or not.

TrapAPony
04/06/2014, 8:32 PM
Italy 1-1 Luxembourg and it was Italy's full team bar a couple of late subs :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
04/06/2014, 9:01 PM
What gum do Luxembourg's forwards chew?

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2014, 9:03 PM
That is a good point actually, I am surprise there is not some sort of ban as caffeine is a stimulant,
but obviously that's not really feasible as caffeine is in tea coffee etc.

Obviously having faster reaction might help but as you say it could also have the effect
of giving you the jitters in front of goal. I hope he is keep track of his goal scoring rate
since he start using it to see if it having an adverse effect or not.
Caffeine gum is pretty low in concentration compared to caffeine pills for example. As far as I know, drug tests test for caffeine so if you've got abnormal levels it is banned.

BonnieShels
04/06/2014, 9:03 PM
Italy 1-1 Luxembourg and it was Italy's full team bar a couple of late subs :rolleyes:

So Luxembourg are better than us?

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2014, 9:08 PM
They looked pretty decent against Belgium to be fair. Rattled them so much they had to use seven subs.

BonnieShels
04/06/2014, 9:14 PM
They looked pretty decent against Belgium to be fair. Rattled them so much they had to use seven subs.

We should give up. Scotland are better as well. What's the point.

pineapple stu
04/06/2014, 9:30 PM
Ecuador 2-2 England as well. I think Uruguay only beat the North 1-0 earlier in the week. Costa Rica will be rubbing their hands with glee I'm sure

BonnieShels
04/06/2014, 9:36 PM
Ecuador 2-2 England as well. I think Uruguay only beat the North 1-0 earlier in the week. Costa Rica will be rubbing their hands with glee I'm sure

Costa Rica will be shocked when McGeady and McCarthy step out instead of Oliver Norwood and Sammy Clingan.

tricky_colour
04/06/2014, 9:53 PM
Caffeine gum is pretty low in concentration compared to caffeine pills for example. As far as I know, drug tests test for caffeine so if you've got abnormal levels it is banned.

I wonder what Whelan drinks before a game?

TrapAPony
04/06/2014, 10:02 PM
We would have to play them to find out

Razors left peg
04/06/2014, 10:02 PM

Ecuador are decent side. I was at a game in Portugal last year where they won 4-2 against a full strength Portugal team and they were brilliant that night

BonnieShels
04/06/2014, 10:13 PM
We would have to play them to find out

No point.

paul_oshea
04/06/2014, 11:05 PM
a bit of perspective for all of you after the italy like I had said.

that's their 4th draw in 9 months....certainly takes the gloss off ours when we couldn't even score!!! like I said these games mean nothing only hope for partnerships and understandings to form but if different players playing the whole time then we don't even get that.
These 4 games could be completely useless

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2014, 11:11 PM
It's not like you to try and take the gloss off a performance, Paul. So you'd endorse the Trapattoni approach of playing the same team as often as possible?

BonnieShels
04/06/2014, 11:21 PM
a bit of perspective for all of you after the italy like I had said.

that's their 4th draw in 9 months....certainly takes the gloss off ours when we couldn't even score!!! like I said these games mean nothing only hope for partnerships and understandings to form but if different players playing the whole time then we don't even get that.
These 4 games could be completely useless

Would there be a chance, and I'm going out on a limb here (no pun intended) that Italy decided to take it easier in the aftermath of Montolivo's injury?

Seems legit. But as you know more maybe you can enlighten us with your incalculable knowledge of this Italian side.

Crosby87
04/06/2014, 11:39 PM
The only Italian side POSH cares about is Sophia Lorens backside and I support him on that.

geysir
04/06/2014, 11:45 PM
Thank God for Paul to remind us how stupid those of us were to enjoy the game against Italy and remind us (yet again!!!!!) just how smart he thinks he is.
And to equate enjoyment of a game with losing a perspective? I really would never had made such a connection.
I mean, who else would be so full of himself to assume such a pose? it takes a special kind of one to take the burden, heavy lies the crown and all that.

Razors left peg
04/06/2014, 11:49 PM
Against us some of the Italy players were playing for their place in the squad so I dont buy that they werent up for it at all, against Luxembourg the squad has been picked so I could definitely imagine the foot was off the pedal

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 3:03 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/time-for-players-to-make-case-for-euro-inclusion-30330889.html

5 players on a mission

Hendrick
Pilkington
Duffy
Quinn
Keane

5 players on the ropes

Green
Cox
Kelly
Sammon
Keogh

Article goes into further detail.

Closed Account 2
05/06/2014, 8:55 AM
I wonder what Whelan drinks before a game?

Not sure what he drinks but he definately dips his boots in treacle.

paul_oshea
05/06/2014, 10:15 AM
It's not like you to try and take the gloss off a performance, Paul. So you'd endorse the Trapattoni approach of playing the same team as often as possible?

I'm all for change, when its done at the right time and the right change. Trap even played fringe players in friendlies. At this current stage though, I think we need to be playing the players who will start in september, build some sort of consistency and understanding between the players. That doesnt mean taht we still cant bring in certain players or change the system/players at a certain time or given a certain situation.

Having 2-3 teams of completely different players playing doesnt give us any consistency and previously pointing out that these friendlies cant be taken too seriously but help in consistency amongst players and understanding the system/eachother is what we should hope for. I'm disappointed really.

Still if hendrick and meyler are the midfield for the next couple of games, 2 of those are likely to start in september so that probably isnt a bad thing. Throw in Pilkington impressing and hopefully he makes that position his own. I'm not overly gone on McClean, and like him as an impact player when the opposition are tiring.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2014, 1:09 PM
I think O'Neill is still learning about the players though, so doesn't fully know yet who will start in September. Several are unavailable anyway. No doubt Pilkington, Meyler and Hendrick did themselves no harm. Hoolahan probably will have allayed fears that he is only a home team player against lesser teams. O'Neill will have learnt about Pearse too. He's no Paul McGrath but he has that strength and ruggedness that O'Neill has appreciated in the past in Elliott, Mjallby and Prior. I'd say O'Neill will have learnt that he's a credible back up option but no better than Delaney who himself is probably behind Wilson, unless Wilson plays in another position.

All the players will be learning O'Neill's ideas which appear to be based on pressing high up the pitch, keeping two midfielders back and allowing full backs and the wide men to get forward.

It's a shame that Clark will miss the trip as he had something to play for. Wilson might be given the chance to impress again at left back and it's important to give the young midfielders another couple of outings. Hopefully O'Neill will also learn for sure that Whelans presence impacts the team negatively.

Come September there will be 3 or 4 players back in the reckoning which can only be good.

And wrt the Italy game, I don't care if they haven't won since qualifying. Prandelli says they were put through an exhaustive training programme in the heat since they played us. Apparently they missed a hatful of chances and let in a soft goal from a corner.

Against Ireland I saw with my own eyes that they were talented and up for it, as much as any friendly match anyway. I also saw with my own eyes a good Irish team performance and some very good individual performances. What Italy did next is of no concern to me. What Ireland does next is of every concern.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2014, 1:11 PM
I'm all for change, when its done at the right time and the right change. Trap even played fringe players in friendlies. At this current stage though, I think we need to be playing the players who will start in september, build some sort of consistency and understanding between the players.
And what if we don't know who'll be playing in September? And if he has to make a decision this week and it turns out later to be the long run, does he change it? The fact is we have a lot of players of roughly equal ability and it will take time for O'Neill to figure out which ones work best together.

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 1:23 PM
Pity that any two of Hendrick/Gibson/McCarthy are our best options in midfield but instead we'll get a Whelan/McCarthy partnership that clearly doesn't work because McCarthy and Gibson didn't show up for one reason or other.

What will be team to play against Costa Rica I wonder....

Forde; Kelly, Keogh, Pearce, Wilson; McGeady, Hendrick, Whelan, McClean; Hoolahan; Keane

Or Wilson could play CB, Keogh could play RB and Kelly could play LB. Wouldn't be surprised to rest Hoolahan for the Portugal game and play Quinn. Or alternatively start Keane with either Long or Murphy up front.

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 1:32 PM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/25271/murphy-forced-out-of-internationals

Well Murphy won't be playing because he has went home. I'm really disappointed with the behaviour of a lot of these players. I thought with Keane and O'Neill on board this kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated but it's a lot worse than it was during Trap's reign.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2014, 1:36 PM
He's injured?

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 1:42 PM
He's injured?

Inverted commas.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2014, 1:46 PM
And this is based on...

Stuttgart88
05/06/2014, 1:51 PM
Prejudice.

KK77
05/06/2014, 2:14 PM
http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/25271/murphy-forced-out-of-internationals

Well Murphy won't be playing because he has went home. I'm really disappointed with the behaviour of a lot of these players. I thought with Keane and O'Neill on board this kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated but it's a lot worse than it was during Trap's reign.

Fully agree. Makes a laugh of all this talk of how much certain players just love playing for their country. Modern day football i suppose.

Dodge
05/06/2014, 2:28 PM
I thought with Keane and O'Neill on board this kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated but it's a lot worse than it was during Trap's reign.

You could have Mourinho there and players still wouldn't care about end of season friendlies in the US. The manager can't really be faulted here.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2014, 4:12 PM
Fully agree. Makes a laugh of all this talk of how much certain players just love playing for their country. Modern day football i suppose.
Modern day rugby too then, given the spate of casualties from the England, Ireland and Argentina squads. Or maybe there's another explanation. Players actually get injured. I'm really disappointed in Clark's behaviour too, hurting his knee like that. And Walters for getting sick but who'll fly anyway if asked.

And quite frankly I wouldn't give a hoot about Murphy anyway. Nothing to offer at this level.

DeLorean
05/06/2014, 4:28 PM
I'm sure certain players could have played through the 'pain' if these were club games or important international games. However, everybody (that matters) agree that there's no point in risking agrivating even a minor injury for friendly games. It won't benefit club or country if they do. Patriotism is great, but common sense is even better.

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 4:32 PM
You can dress it up any way you want but it must be some coincidence how these lads can stay fit through an entire League season but start getting injury prone whenever there is an International window.

I mean you have lads going to the wedding of their teammate's brother for crying out loud.

And these the very same people who'll start getting noisy when it comes time for their International bonuses to be divided.

I look forward to the performances come September when you have the team looking like strangers who have never played together before and the platitudes to the press and fans after the inevitable lackluster performances and results.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2014, 5:02 PM
Which of these players didn't get injured during the club season?

BonnieShels
05/06/2014, 5:38 PM
For the love of jeebus TOWK

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 5:41 PM
For the love of jeebus TOWK

Bonnie, give it a rest. Good lad.

BonnieShels
05/06/2014, 5:45 PM
Bonnie, give it a rest. Good lad.

Oooh snarky.

In fairness if anyone needs to give it a rest it's your good self. Your latest insinuation of an "injury" beggars belief. Your endless bickering and negativity is growing tiresome.

pineapple stu
05/06/2014, 5:47 PM
Ignore list works wonders. :)

BonnieShels
05/06/2014, 5:53 PM
Ignore list works wonders. :)

I know. But then I'll get these weird out of context responses.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2014, 6:02 PM
I look forward to the performances come September when you have the team looking like strangers who have never played together before and the platitudes to the press and fans after the inevitable lackluster performances and results.

So, now you suddenly think Whelan and Walters' absences are a problem? It's not long since you thought they were both rubbish.

And what about Ward missing the Costa Rica game but possibly available for the next? He's a good case study as there is no doubting his willingness to turn up, anywhere and any time. Is it only Clark and Murphy you're narked about?

I think the brother's wedding thing looks poor, but O'Neill could easily have insisted they don't go to it. Instead he took the pragmatic option and looked at players in their positions, and to good effect too. All of them are back in the squad, although Walters is sick but may still travel.

pineapple stu
05/06/2014, 6:03 PM
I know. But then I'll get these weird out of context responses.
Seems like that's what's causing problems at the moment!

TheOneWhoKnocks
05/06/2014, 11:17 PM
So, now you suddenly think Whelan and Walters' absences are a problem? It's not long since you thought they were both rubbish.

And what about Ward missing the Costa Rica game but possibly available for the next? He's a good case study as there is no doubting his willingness to turn up, anywhere and any time. Is it only Clark and Murphy you're narked about?

I think the brother's wedding thing looks poor, but O'Neill could easily have insisted they don't go to it. Instead he took the pragmatic option and looked at players in their positions, and to good effect too. All of them are back in the squad, although Walters is sick but may still travel.

What I or what you think about them is beside the point! They are going to be playing a significant part in the coming campaign so it is, frankly, a problem for me!

Stephen Ward is on holiday in Italy right now. He is paid a king's ransom to kick a football for a living. Turn up for a 2 weeks and then you have plenty of time for a holiday!

These people are f'ing indulged beyond belief. The problem for most of them isn't physical exertion. They just can't stand being around each other and having to stay in a hotel room all day. Boo bloody hoo!