PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica & Portugal - May/June 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

tricky_colour
01/06/2014, 10:22 PM
Just been watching some of the game, in decent quality as opposed to a stream,
it is quite a transformation on what has gone on before when we play against a decent
time.

For example in the past the only time we *ever* "won" the ball was when a shot missed
or was saved or they scored. (or so it seems), we are so much better organised now we are
willing the ball pretty easilly ie I saw a number of interceptions, I don't recall us ever making an interception
in the past.
Furthermore when we do get the ball there always seems to be a passing out let a player waiting and available
for it, in the past there was never anything on bar a hoof up the pitch.

Also on another slightly less positive point Coleman gave the ball a way a few times with bad passes
I though that was Stephen Ward's job? Did they swapped sides?

Another notable thing is it is actually watchable!!!

The big question is who is primarily responsibly for the transformation?

I hope it's not the man who is currently packing a Glaswegian-English dictionary into his suitcase.

ArdeeBhoy
01/06/2014, 11:05 PM
Don't think MO'N will be returning to Glasgow anytime soon...we should remember his past trials and tribulations up there!

ArdeeBhoy
01/06/2014, 11:07 PM
Consistency is it, right enough AB. We've seen some decent friendlies in the past go by without any follow up. But it was certainly a pleasing performance. Next step is a win and a couple of goals.
Definitely, but we could we waiting for that win...Costa Rica maybe, Portugal probably a repeat of yesterday, at best.
So next season more likely, though happy to wait for Georgia, hopefully.

OwlsFan
01/06/2014, 11:25 PM
Just been watching some of the game, in decent quality as opposed to a stream,
it is quite a transformation on what has gone on before when we play against a decent team

Didn't we beat Italy in a friendly in 2011 and I thought we played well that day but best paint that one out of Trap's history? So why are we "much better organised now" and in all the games under Trap you never recall us making an interception? Bizarre statement.

Style of play has never interested me. If we qualify with "hoof ball", I am over the moon. If we don't qualify with the "passing game". I am dejected. If we qualify by both methods, I am equally happy. The end results are all that interest me i.e. effective football.

I wouldn't get too excited by a draw against Italy B but at least we didn't lose which I think was important. We also played well but two swallows and all that. However, scoring remains a problem. Let's see what Robbie can do later this month.

On a separate note, what's with Keith Andrews' hair? Looks like a wig.

Charlie Darwin
01/06/2014, 11:41 PM
The more I see Long's header the more I think he should have scored. He was stretching a bit but he has to put it wide of the goalkeeper.

Grafter
02/06/2014, 12:19 AM

Possibly the Cascarino school of thought - if you're getting on a bit and want your contract renewed you better make damn sure you've good hair!

samhaydenjr
02/06/2014, 1:26 AM
The more I see Long's header the more I think he should have scored. He was stretching a bit but he has to put it wide of the goalkeeper.

Having just seen it I think he did technically "the right thing" by heading it back where it came from but the Italian keeper was slow coming across and this gave him the opportunity to save - in this instance it may have been a better choice to head for the far post but I wouldn't call it a glaring miss. Overall (based on the three minute highlight package I saw), some good play, creating good chances but we still need to be more clinical in front of goal - again there weren't any real "glaring misses" - it's just that we need to cross that fine line between making a keeper make a save and making it impossible for the keeper to prevent a goal.

tricky_colour
02/06/2014, 2:08 AM
Didn't we beat Italy in a friendly in 2011 and I thought we played well that day but best paint that one out of Trap's history? So why are we "much better organised now" and in all the games under Trap you never recall us making an interception? Bizarre statement.

Style of play has never interested me. If we qualify with "hoof ball", I am over the moon. If we don't qualify with the "passing game". I am dejected. If we qualify by both methods, I am equally happy. The end results are all that interest me i.e. effective football.

I wouldn't get too excited by a draw against Italy B but at least we didn't lose which I think was important. We also played well but two swallows and all that. However, scoring remains a problem. Let's see what Robbie can do later this month.

Well I definitely though we saw something better than we had in the past, it's hard
to put it into words. I'd love to see some stats on the game.

As for Andrew's hair, if youve got it, flaunt it!!!

But back to football! It is interesting to see the team that played on
that glorious game in 2011.

Republic of Ireland: Forde, McShane, Ward, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Foley, Coleman, Andrews, Hunt, Long, Keogh

Subs: Murphy, Kelly, Cox, Delaney, Whelan, Lawrence, Treacy

Must admit I would not remember the game, or the team, it certainly is *not* the the team I expected to see!!

Where are the 'big names'? I suppose out of that lot Long would be the biggest name.

He virtually fielded a second XI, having left out Shay Given, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady and Robbie Keane on top of the absent Richard Dunne, Damien Duff and Kevin Doyle after Saturday night's 2-0 Euro 2012 qualifying victory in Macedonia.

Unfortunately I don't appear to have a copy of that game.

Charlie Darwin
02/06/2014, 4:43 AM
Having just seen it I think he did technically "the right thing" by heading it back where it came from but the Italian keeper was slow coming across and this gave him the opportunity to save - in this instance it may have been a better choice to head for the far post but I wouldn't call it a glaring miss. Overall (based on the three minute highlight package I saw), some good play, creating good chances but we still need to be more clinical in front of goal - again there weren't any real "glaring misses" - it's just that we need to cross that fine line between making a keeper make a save and making it impossible for the keeper to prevent a goal.
He didn't header it back where it came from though, he just headered it in the middle of the goal, which is always going to be the most likely place for the goalkeeper to end up.

geysir
02/06/2014, 8:19 AM
The goalie was well positioned in the middle just before Shane got his head to the ball, he probably would have been favourite to save most headed attempts.

paul_oshea
02/06/2014, 8:31 AM
I agree with Owlfans on this one, granted he has previous with regard to Trap and the horn he has for him.

I watched many passages of play in that game where as usual in tight angles we hoofed it without playing it out, whereas in similar circumstance the italians played long crossfield passes or triangular 1-2s to get out of trouble, their passing and control had us flaffing about as usual, and they turned this on whenever they needed to, granted midway through the second half till the end of the game i saw this less and less, perhaps they tired or just took the foot off the pedal so to speak.

I think having two big strong and atlethic midfielders did make a difference to us though, i know someone else pointed out the athelticism id put it down to physique and strength moreso, as they should all be fairly atheltic and fit at this level. I just wish there was more bite about meyler, he seems to be happy just to sit back too much.

Long was really stretching backwards for that header, im not sure he had enough control over where it was going, and with the keeper coming back over it seemed like a good place to put it, because i dont think he could get it to the far corner, its kind of like those shots in tennis where a player plays out wide right, and as the opposition player returns he runs back towards the middle, hitting it back to the side he is coming from as he runs to reposition himself, is more often than not the saftest bet.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2014, 9:17 AM
We all know there are no style marks awarded, only points for wins and draws, but is it not the case that playing hoofball in this day and age is a tactic that is highly unlikely to work – at least as Plan A when there only is a Plan A?

It’s a recipe to lose possession and the ball just keeps coming back at you.

Italy, even Italy B, are better than us. That’s why they work the ball better and play nice cross-field passes – none of which hurt us mind. That’s why we have to hoof it into space sometimes. Why is that such a crime or something to moan about?

And why is Paul so begrudging about the strong second half performance by Ireland? Is it all down to the Italians losing interest or getting tired?

geysir
02/06/2014, 9:47 AM
Add 4 players to that team and it becomes an Italy A team.
All those players who were on the pitch, go to Brazil, except Montolivo of course.
Italy's tempo of play, has increased dramatically under Prandelli.

ArdeeBhoy
02/06/2014, 11:23 AM
The point is we need to follow up with 'decent' performances in the next 3 matches and take that into the Georgia game...though suspect inconsistency will continue to be an issue.

Closed Account
02/06/2014, 11:37 AM
Ah here, respect to Shane. Most of the chances he had, were due to his athleticism, but don't make excuses for him.
I've played with at least 20 strikers who'd of glanced that header away from the keeper. Similiarly the chance from Wes's pass, he sidefooted it. If you're going to sidefoot it then give the keeper the eyes, otherwise put your foot through it and find a corner, he was 12/13 yards from goal ffs.
I like Shane. He'll get more chances than most strikers and he'll miss a fair few. Seems he missed a bit of coaching on the subject. I'd start him more often than not and hopefully he'll score when it counts but I won't make excuses for him when he misses. Strikers miss sometimes, some strikers more often than others.

paul_oshea
02/06/2014, 12:06 PM
ya I was referring more to the header and he took it round the keeper well the other time but the side foot one he definitely should have done better

paul_oshea
02/06/2014, 12:25 PM
Did anyone else notice how deep in thought O'Neill was coming off the pitch on Saturday?

Stuttgart88
02/06/2014, 12:31 PM
No, you were the only one.

I think the talk about Long's misses is largely based on some shocking misses in earlier games and nobody can deny that he has had a poor time in front of goal. However, in both instances on Saturday I think the keeper would have been favourite, though maybe not if the cross for the headed chance was 3-4 inches lower. For the second chance, even if he had put his foot through the ball I'd still have fancied the keeper from that angle, but yes, I'd agree that side-footing it was the lesser option.

I don't think the missed chance against Turkey was bad either. He made it himself and the keeper got a great block in. But his finishing is a worry because he has fluffed the easier chances and there is now a lot of focus on his finishing and his confidence is low. That's unfortunate but it is a problem.

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 2:02 PM
Add 4 players to that team and it becomes an Italy A team.
All those players who were on the pitch, go to Brazil, except Montolivo of course.
Almost...

Italy announce World Cup squad (http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/06/prandelli-names-his-italy-23-man-squad-rossi-misses-out/)

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 2:08 PM
By the way, where's that full back from the Euros, Balzaretti? I thought he was pretty class but seems to have gone off the radar, maybe injured? I used enjoy referring to him as "Balls are sweaty"... childish I know :o

pineapple stu
02/06/2014, 2:17 PM
Only played 11 times for Roma this season, it seems. Hasn't played for Italy since October. Missed a good chunk of this season; dunno did he fall out of international favour as a result.

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 3:06 PM
Interesting, he seemed like another one of those Grosso-like late bloomers that appeared from obscurity, on the international scene at least. The left full back the other night looked excellent as well, Coleman really had his hands full down that side. You'd have to wonder when you see £30m being lined up for Luke Shaw, is he really any better than a lot of these guys? Time will tell I suppose.

pineapple stu
02/06/2014, 3:14 PM
Meant to say "missed a good chunk of the season through injury" Oops!

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/06/2014, 3:25 PM
Ah here, respect to Shane. Most of the chances he had, were due to his athleticism, but don't make excuses for him.
I've played with at least 20 strikers who'd of glanced that header away from the keeper. Similiarly the chance from Wes's pass, he sidefooted it. If you're going to sidefoot it then give the keeper the eyes, otherwise put your foot through it and find a corner, he was 12/13 yards from goal ffs.
I like Shane. He'll get more chances than most strikers and he'll miss a fair few. Seems he missed a bit of coaching on the subject. I'd start him more often than not and hopefully he'll score when it counts but I won't make excuses for him when he misses. Strikers miss sometimes, some strikers more often than others.

With all due respect, the players playing in The Isthmian League are far better footballers than we are. It's ridiculous comparing what went on in the Ireland v Italy game to what happens with lads on the astroturf.

Maybe you should coach Shane and then maybe his record of 1 goal in every 3 starts will improve to Robbie Keane/Ali Daei/Jan Koller proportions.

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 7:11 PM
So it seems a reality that this Costa Rica game isn't televised. I was kind of expecting something to change closer the time!

ArdeeBhoy
02/06/2014, 8:00 PM
Like said before, it will be on, on a stream somewhere. Check much nearer the time!

paul_oshea
02/06/2014, 8:00 PM
What's the time and dates of both games

geysir
02/06/2014, 8:10 PM
Costa Rica's Teletica Canal 7 (http://www.livesoccertv.com/channels/teletica-canal-7-costa-rica/) is broadcasting the game live. So there's some hope yet of finding a stream.

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 8:19 PM
Like said before, it will be on, on a stream somewhere. Check much nearer the time!

I've a wedding Friday so unfortunately streaming isn't an option this time.

ArdeeBhoy
02/06/2014, 8:41 PM
Isn't it on after midnight, Irish time?
Though do know weddings can go on, late into the night....

DeLorean
02/06/2014, 8:48 PM
Yeah I think it's 1am or thereabouts. Being able to see it in the hotel bar was the dream but I would have settled for being able to record it and watch it the next day! Ah well.

BonnieShels
02/06/2014, 9:19 PM
Isn't it on after midnight, Irish time?
Though do know weddings can go on, late into the night....

It is. Unless you ask Tricky.

tricky_colour
02/06/2014, 10:27 PM
So it seems a reality that this Costa Rica game isn't televised. I was kind of expecting something to change closer the time!

Seems to be a stream here http://livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/1/

http://livetv.sx/en/eventinfo/235829_costa_rica_ireland/

No doubt there will me many more on the day.

Although as this is a leap year it will on the 8th not the 7th as advertised.

geysir
02/06/2014, 10:58 PM
This wedding plague is spreading.

geysir
02/06/2014, 11:11 PM
Seems to be a stream here http://livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/1/

http://livetv.sx/en/eventinfo/235829_costa_rica_ireland/

No doubt there will me many more on the day.

Although as this is a leap year it will on the 8th not the 7th as advertised.
It's saturday night, until you wake up into Sunday.

SkStu
03/06/2014, 12:46 AM
With all due respect, the players playing in The Isthmian League are far better footballers than we are. It's ridiculous comparing what went on in the Ireland v Italy game to what happens with lads on the astroturf.

Maybe you should coach Shane and then maybe his record of 1 goal in every 3 starts will improve to Robbie Keane/Ali Daei/Jan Koller proportions.

You do realise who you're speaking to TOWK? Joe_Denilson or Johnser Keane as he was known at Barnsley before it went tits up. In other words, he's played with manys a fine striker and may have scored a few too.

Closed Account
03/06/2014, 12:58 AM
In my defence, I was at the tail end of a 10 day drinking binge, I don't even remember making that post and it was this afternoon. The Fear will be paying a visit.

Razors left peg
03/06/2014, 4:35 AM

Can anyone answer why Long is constantly chewing gum or whatever it is on the pitch? Is there a particular reason for it related to performance?

Im probably being a bit unfair but everytime I see him miss a chance and theres a close up of him chewing away on something it just looks like hes being too damn casual. Im a big fan of his, if he had half of Robbies finishing ability he could be a world beater but he should have burried some of the chances he had recently.

I agree with everything Joe says here, I would hope that someone is spending extra time with him coaching him on his finishing. And someone tell him to get rid of the bloody gum before he chokes on it!

boysingreen
03/06/2014, 6:32 AM
What are the odds of Ronaldo playing against us next week?

It's Portugal's last WC warmup and he sat out their last game with an injury.

I'll be there and expecting a big Portugal turnout due to the golden boy, and also the match falls on June 10th, which is "Portugal Day".

DeLorean
03/06/2014, 8:44 AM
He'll surely play some part if fit.

DeLorean
03/06/2014, 8:45 AM
Costa Rica 1-3 Japan (http://www.sportal.com.au/football/world-cup-2014/international-friendly-costa-rica-1-japan-3/90it24c1qmn1ebibpdgv8szu)

Charlie Darwin
03/06/2014, 11:10 AM
What are the odds of Ronaldo playing against us next week?

It's Portugal's last WC warmup and he sat out their last game with an injury.

I'll be there and expecting a big Portugal turnout due to the golden boy, and also the match falls on June 10th, which is "Portugal Day".
Pretty low I'd say. He has a thigh injury and there's worries he won't make the Germany game so it's unlikely we'll see him before then.

paul_oshea
03/06/2014, 9:10 PM
I'm a bit disappointed after all you said how well we played on Saturday that so many players are pulling out :( http://thescore.thejournal.ie/martin-oneill-us-trip-1498706-Jun2014/

Charlie Darwin
03/06/2014, 9:14 PM
O'Shea and Coleman were never going to travel. I expected Delaney to go but he's had a long season so maybe he's just wiped out.

paul_oshea
03/06/2014, 9:15 PM
and ward too. It's a completely different backline

we're on about consistency in performance how can ye have that with completely different teams lining out.

In my opinion all that matters is we find a new midfield or a new partnership somewhere.

geysir
03/06/2014, 9:39 PM
Let's find a new midfield, that's a splendid idea.

DeLorean
03/06/2014, 9:50 PM
McCarthy & Hendrick. Done.

paul_oshea
03/06/2014, 9:59 PM
Well exactly that would be a new midfield partnership.but they don't really have much experience playing together or an understanding of each other

Crosby87
03/06/2014, 10:25 PM
Ive found the hotel they are staying at. I may pull a fire alarm at 4am to see how they react to adversity. Also Ger Crossley and Johnser Keane are signing autographs at the hard rock cafe in times sq on saturday if anyone is interested. But its going to be tough to get a good turn out for that as the Rangers have made the cup finals and people are Ranger centric right now.

Stuttgart88
03/06/2014, 11:11 PM
As CD said, O'Shea and Coleman were always out. Delaney is a shame but biggest loss is Clark, on basis that we could do with him staking a claim to the left back berth. But it's a 29 man squad and 22 or so players are still traveling.