PDA

View Full Version : John Delaney - "We must make the league stronger"

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2014, 10:19 PM
https://soundcloud.com/the-loi-blog/john-delaney-interview

The LOI Blog did an interesting interview with John Delaney there. Delaney takes pride in his time with Waterford, sees the need to make the league stronger, and mentions the introduction of an under-17 national league.

Good interview, well worth a listen.

gufcfan
06/02/2014, 12:31 AM
National under 17 league would be excellent. I wonder will it have any chance of being implemented in that time-frame though...

disgruntled
07/02/2014, 10:39 AM
Good interview & he talks a good talk.
An Under 17 league would be very good but it would need to be on a regional basis because of the expense.
What I'd much rather see is something between the Under 19's & Senior level.
An Under 21 League again on a regional basis would help here.

legendz
07/02/2014, 7:20 PM
It's more important for development than a level between U19 and senior.

It's positive that the U17 league will be open to entities outside of the LoI. Kerry league have aspirations to be in next year's U19 league.

SkStu
08/02/2014, 3:04 AM
He's a tosser.

bennocelt
08/02/2014, 7:10 AM
He's a tosser. Exactly, wouldnt listen to him, hope I never bump into him, creep

Hulsey
08/02/2014, 7:16 AM
It would be a start if he didn't cut prize money to sink into the aviva. Gimp

citybone
08/02/2014, 12:07 PM
In fairness the Aviva is a long term investment but spent more than their means.

legendz
08/02/2014, 3:58 PM
In fairness the Aviva is a long term investment but spent more than their means.It was a chance for a home or to be renting forever. In the time of Aviva investment, a number of clubs have gotten their own houses in order. It's amateurish to be looking elsewhere.

Yossarian
08/02/2014, 7:13 PM
It was a chance for a home or to be renting forever. In the time of Aviva investment, a number of clubs have gotten their own houses in order. It's amateurish to be looking elsewhere.

I could be wrong but I believe at some point in the long term future the ownership of the Aviva reverts to the IRFU. I'm sure I read that in the past but as I said I'm not sure.

outspoken
08/02/2014, 7:14 PM
I could be wrong but I believe at some point in the long term future the ownership of the Aviva reverts to the IRFU. I'm sure I read that in the past but as I said I'm not sure.

That's what I thought it's a 100 year lease afaik

gormacha
08/02/2014, 7:27 PM

The ownership is on a 50:50 basis for 60 years then full ownership returns to the IRFU.

wonder88
08/02/2014, 9:12 PM
I read somewhere during the week that the repayment date of the debt of the FAI (Stadium loan) is now likely to be extended. Is was recently sold by Danske Bank to a consortium including a private equity fund and Celtic owner Dermot Desmond. The FAI according to media reports got a reduction/write-off in the capital sum outstanding, so this looks like good news. But private equity funds always borrow, usually up to 90% of their investments, so they must charge a higher rate of interest in order to make a profit. It could well be many years yet before the Aviva as it is now called and makes any financial contribution to Irish soccer, while it also reported this week that Croke Park is now debt free. However we can't really compare the GAA to the FAI, and it also must be said that Delaney is confident that his organisation will be debt free in a few years time.

Mr A
08/02/2014, 11:22 PM
Here is a story on the FAI loan for the Aviva: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-gets-125m-debt-writeoff-on-aviva-29863091.html

Neish
08/02/2014, 11:30 PM
Exactly, wouldnt listen to him, hope I never bump into him, creep

Usually I'd agree with you but for once he is actually making some sense

Macy
10/02/2014, 9:21 AM
The clubs were sold a pup with the merger with the FAI. The league has lost influence in the FAI, the carrots offered at the start have continually been eroded, and at least everyone around the table cared about the league when it was controlled by the clubs.

marinobohs
10/02/2014, 11:57 AM
It would be a start if he didn't cut prize money to sink into his overinflated salary. Gimp

.....there, fixed that for you Hulsey :cool: